Need Advice From Some Experienced Rangers.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Need advice from some experienced Rangers.
Need advice from some experienced Rangers.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2009-05-04 13:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Take a look at this gear for Ranger at level 67.

For TP purposes what things would you change? Needs more R.ACC, or less would be ok? Would you take 2 less R.ACC and use Ranger's Necklace for the R. ATK?

In one macro (6 lines) what gear would you swap in for Slug Shot?

Please share your thoughts of the changes you would make for this TP set, and what you would swap in for SS.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-04 13:34:05
Link | Quote | Reply

AMEMET MANTLE+1!!!
and wtf is with the specticals?
man...theres alot you gotta work on x;
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-05-04 13:36:03
Link | Quote | Reply

so give him suggestions!
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-04 13:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

theres so much to cover...you are eatting sushi so get ratk.
Get a rangers necklace or jagd gorget for the necklace.
you can replace an earring with a genin and a vision earring, then switch out the vision for the frone for ws if you want.
Af hat>empress.
 Bahamut.Bojack
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2009-05-04 14:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so AF Head and Ranger's Necklace. What else? Would you swap in STR rings for WS? or that's too much R.ACC to lose for SS? Or would you just Slug Shot in your TP gear cause of the R.ACC?
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-04 15:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

change the belt to a recise belt, better then your royal knight.

a Deadeye earring is nice.
could also look into leadybug earrings or Triumph if you are rich for ws's.

overall if you are using sushi stack up on ratk and str more.
 Bahamut.Kimbot
user: kimbot
By Bahamut.Kimbot 2009-05-04 15:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I use coeurl subs, and then just swap in STR gear for WS in all slots except rings, keep that for racc, u will need it for the poor acc on Sidewinder.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-05-04 15:22:52
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

My two gil of advice:

Ranger's Necklace is a godsend and will last a very long time until Qiqirn Collar or Faith/Hope Torque, unless you really wanna dish out the gil for a Jagd Gorget. Save specs or PCC for barrage if you one or the other.

/WAR can still work in exp parties, it just takes alot more patience and self control and an attentive tank especially if you pull. If you are short handed in the DD department I wouldn't hesitate to sub warrior. Play it smart, not safe.

Do not sacrifice too much ranged accuracy on your Slugwinder macro for attributes or ranged attack. Although those two things are what push huge numbers, there's no point to it if you're missing your WS half the time. Let food take care of the disadvantage you are having whether it be weaker damage (eat meat), or are missing too much (eat sushi). Your gear is meant to be the "balance" in my opinion.

Last but not least and probably most importantly: Don't be reckless.
Despite the RNG "nerf" it's still very easy to pull hate off any toughened and skilled tank just like DRK or even DRG and WAR. Knowing when to shoot is half the battle. Shooting well is all about finding the right tweeks in gear that suits you.

Hope this helps~
 Odin.Gaea
Server: Odin
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-05-04 15:37:27

Full Noct +1, Selenes bow, and Scorpion Arrows is best equip you can get. GL :)
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-04 15:43:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Gaea said:
Full Noct +1, Selenes bow, and Scorpion Arrows is best equip you can get. GL :)

that was a troll...right?
 Asura.Yotevol
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-05-04 16:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bojack said:
Take a look at this gear for Ranger at level 67.

For TP purposes what things would you change? Needs more R.ACC, or less would be ok? Would you take 2 less R.ACC and use Ranger's Necklace for the R. ATK?

In one macro (6 lines) what gear would you swap in for Slug Shot?

Please share your thoughts of the changes you would make for this TP set, and what you would swap in for SS.

You are heading the right way.
Check out my profile for some tips. :-)
I'm not the "best" geared RNG, but I'm pretty good.
I haven't had any complaints and my set up provides a fine line between too much and too little acc and atk.

~Yote

EDIT: Don't go Holy Bolts unless you have a proper MND set up. Darksteel work far better.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-04 16:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yotevol said:
~Yote

EDIT: Don't go Holy Bolts unless you have a proper MND set up. Darksteel work far better.

better off using a bow or gun then x-bow <.>
 Ramuh.Stryyker
Server: Ramuh
user: Stryyker
By Ramuh.Stryyker 2009-05-04 16:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

My personal favortie was Selen'es bow and demon arrows. definitely rangers necklace if u cant afford the peacock necklace or bcnm for it. AF hat is definitly a plus. I also eat coerul subs. went through so many food types and research to find it was nice (tried red and yellow curry but those were 3 hr foods and had pretty much the same stats as couerl subs (that stack.))
My personal experience as RNG is i brought sushi and coerul subs. if you notice that your not missing as much, load up on str and agi with some r acc, and use the coerul subs. If you are missing quite badly then sushi and some r. acc balanced with str and agi still. once you hit 70 use um that nice ranger pants that has AGI+5 i beleive. just my thoughts on it for now till someone gives me an idea towards a correction.

p.s.- leveled rngr last year and havent played in a long time so thinks might have changed since then.
 Asura.Misuto
By Asura.Misuto 2009-05-04 17:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Leveling up, I used meat and accuracy gear. Even then, I'd have to gimp my damage output using lower level ammunition so that I didn't take hate with TP shots. This was back in the good 'ole days when exp camps were places like Valley of Sorrow and Labyrinth of Onzozo.

Nowadays, Colibri seem to be the mob of choice for quite a few levels. I hear they have decent evasion, so to be consistant, one would have to use sushi. In this case, a ranger should slowly take off the accuracy gear until they find a balance to where they're landing weaponskills 100% of the time, and TP shots about 80%+. Different races have different base agility, and strength... and different gear available to them.

I can offer a few gear suggestions, one being to get rid of AF feet in place of a STR+3 pair of shoes. If you're mithra, this comes easy in the form of RSE. At level 62, Humes have Marine Boots to accomodate this, and at 67, all races have Rutter Sabatons to fall back on. Of course, all of these options dont even hold a candle to AF2 feet from Dynamis Beaucidine. If you can get ahold of these, forget everything else.

I see you're wearing a crossbow. Every ranger has their preference and to say that bow or gun is superior to crossbow is shortsighted and a downright n00b thing to say. Each weapon has their uses, and none of them are invalid. Personal prefrence: Crossbow is best for exp because of status bolts. Acid bolts not only increase your own damage, but also the other DD's in the party. If you're partied up with gimps(more likely due to campaign lowering standards of decency...) the acid proc will speed kills along that much faster, increasing exp/hr in the long run. Acid bolts have a difficult time proccing on the wind-based colibri though, so this method may not be valid for AU camps.

Yote mentions a MND build for holy bolts. I've noticed personally that MND doesn't have that huge of an impact on holy add. effect as many people believe. You'll get a lot more noticeable results from a light staff than you will from +30 MND. I've never sacrificed accuracy or attack for MND in any situation. If you're comfortable with blowing away darksteel bolts for that extra bit of damage on TP shots, far be it from me to stop you, but normal practice is to TP in Acid/Holy/Bloody and to Weaponskill in Darksteel... (or if you're pro, unlimited shot Gold Musketeer's Bolt.)

Indeed up until the final levels of ranger, I focused mainly on making my damn weaponskills land over how hard they hit. A weaponskill that whiffs for 0dmg is a lot more gimp than a weaponskill that lands for relatively low damage. The key point to ranger is finding a balance in ranged accuracy to reach that no-miss balance, then stack on STR and r.attk in the slots you have left.

tl;dr: ACCURACY PRIORITY, WHIFF with over 9000STR = 0 DMG!
Also: Get Rajas Ring.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Dratiant
Server: Pandemonium
user: Dratiant
By Pandemonium.Dratiant 2009-05-04 18:06:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Yotevol said:
~Yote

Gun at that level is still crap. Gun doesn't get really good till near endgame. E Bow or O Bow is the best way. Don't have it, do what all the other good RNGs do. Go out and get it -.-
[+]
 Phoenix.Emiisuzu
Server: Phoenix
user: Emiisuzu
By Phoenix.Emiisuzu 2009-05-04 18:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Dratiant said:
Ludoggy said:
Yotevol said:
~Yote

Gun at that level is still crap. Gun doesn't get really good till near endgame. E Bow or O Bow is the best way. Don't have it, do what all the other good RNGs do. Go out and get it -.-

Thats not completely true. Not now anyways a few guns that can be used now at around 50 or 60 that are decent dmg and decent atr. I personally prefer to use Bow myself though.
 Pandemonium.Dratiant
Server: Pandemonium
user: Dratiant
By Pandemonium.Dratiant 2009-05-04 20:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Emiisuzu said:
Dratiant said:
Ludoggy said:
Yotevol said:
~Yote

Thats not completely true. Not now anyways a few guns that can be used now at around 50 or 60 that are decent dmg and decent atr. I personally prefer to use Bow myself though.

Decent...but still not as good as bow at that level. At 75 all I use is gun on end game events though; Hellfire +1 and Culverin +1 all the way!
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-05-04 20:43:32

Dunno, just figured Red suit + Great Sword... Could be a flaming red DRK >.>
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-04 20:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm no career RNG this is my basic stuff I use as all-around gear. Pretty much just eating different food in different situation.http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=37064

PPA for use with unlimited shot sidewinder ofcourse. Although I've already lost 2 of them -.-
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-05-04 20:46:14

Zanno said:
I'm no career RNG this is my basic stuff I use as all-around gear. Pretty much just eating different food in different situation.http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=37064

That's pretty good. A little overkill on the accuracy though. Unless you're fighting mamools I'd use AF (+1) hat and maybe try and get a fenrir's earring for night time or even a ladybug earring.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-05-04 20:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Dunno, just figured Red suit + Great Sword... Could be a flaming red DRK >.>

lolmeleeRDM perhaps?
 Carbuncle.Zanno
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-04 20:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Zanno said:

That's pretty good. A little overkill on the accuracy though. Unless you're fighting mamools I'd use AF (+1) hat and maybe try and get a fenrir's earring for night time or even a ladybug earring.

meh, im elvaan, im used to have to over do the whole acc thing. If I know I'm good on the racc side I'll go RNG/SAM with fire staff and axe grip together with hasso makes some great additional STR and RATT ^^
 Asura.Misuto
By Asura.Misuto 2009-05-04 20:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Blue is DRG. >>

---------

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=7;mid=1161924072301798838;num=109;page=1

This post, from awhile ago, helped me better understand ranger, and how to gear it. I suggest reading it if you're truly interested in exactly how each stat effects your output.

Mainly deals in DMG output, not much about accuracy.

(Ranged Accuracy is a LIE!)
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-04 20:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

power rangers wow
 Asura.Misuto
By Asura.Misuto 2009-05-04 21:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

DeschainSiren said:
To lead with my conclusion - which is highly generalized:
On sidewinders, 1 STR gets you the equivalent of 2.25 RAtk gets you the equivalent of 4 AGI.
On slug shots, 1 STR gets you the equivalent of 2.25 RAtk gets you the equivalent of 2.7 AGI.

Engrave this on your moogle's forehead.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-05-10 17:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

@OP, back on topic.

Let me make a gear set showing exactly what I'm currently using on RNG. Be back in a second with an edit and a link.

Edit: Here you go. What I'm currently using on RNG. I know there's a few things I could improve on, like Behemoth Ring +1, Vulcan's Staff, and Buccaneer's Belt (Only about 5k Ampoules away), and some of this may not apply to you, but if you haven't already realized, RNG should not be as focused on R.ACC as you are, at these high levels.

Even naked, RNG has more R.ACC than most jobs have in ACC, and most jobs do not have trouble hitting. Putting more than about +30 R.ACC in RNG is a waste, as I currently hit in the 91-93% hit rate range on various Merit mobs, with a few R.ACC+ gear swaps for Mamool NINs and THFs.
 Carbuncle.Cianti
user: Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-05-13 01:04:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Use a Jagd gorgot.. I had no issues with accuracy with the exact same build at 67.. with Barrage i always used Sharpshot with it.