COMET Build ??

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » COMET build ??
COMET build ??
 Quetzalcoatl.Rockie
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Vege
By Quetzalcoatl.Rockie 2011-12-07 01:16:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I know COMET is kind of weak. but i was trying to see what would the best gear me for this spell.

i know Dark Elemental Magic is new, and not many gear has that on it.
What if any gear would you wear to boost out come of this spell.

And would Dark Magic+ and Elemental Magic+ gear ....
 Cerberus.Lawliett
Server: Cerberus
user: Lawliett
By Cerberus.Lawliett 2011-12-07 01:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

First off, I'd like to start off by saying Comet is far from weak. Those who are saying it's weak are the worthless BLMs who can't put the hard work into a Yama's Staff +3. Outside of Abyssea Comet is the strongest single target nuke, about 200 more then Thunder V in my case (using all respective magian +3 staffs). Really the only things outside of Yama's Staff +3 that work toward a stronger Comet would be Archon Ring, otherwise just go with your typical nuking gear.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, Comet and Impact work hand-in-hand to enhance each other's damage. Comet enhances the next dark magic spell by 5% in damage (Not limited to Comet spells, any Dark Damage spell will work after Comet has been casted), and Impact lowers your foes INT by 20%, which isn't particularly a specific Comet buff since that can be applied toward all nukes, but it definitely acts as a second Burn for getting the most out of Comet. Just make sure you're either A. /SCH for Parsimony if you're going to choose to cast impact, or B. use Manawell (every 10 minutes =\)
[+]
 Leviathan.Snakeslice
Server: Leviathan
user: neavep
By Leviathan.Snakeslice 2011-12-07 02:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You would build comet like you would any other elemental spell but indeed use yama. But i would have to agree that comet does fall short in my expectations. If you are going for raw dmg blizzaja far surpasses both inside and out with a comparable mp usage. If going for single target, in my honest opinion, I see going with thunder V a better option for its faster and more mp efficient use.

But by all means this does not mean you should not do it. In the rare cases where a mob may be resistant to thunder and you cant aga then this has a use. Its the same for building any ToM staff. Tho you may get very little use out of earth or water spells, they can still be useful and likewise to their respective staves.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-12-07 02:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-12-07 03:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

use comet with other blms to optimize damage.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Lawliett
By Cerberus.Lawliett 2011-12-07 09:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, it's a beast in dynamis if you have Twilight Cape, Anrin Obi, Yama's Staff +3, Zodiac Ring, etc.

Anyways, just wanted to share my own testing:

and for the lol's, Scholar doing it so much better.

Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2011-12-07 10:08:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yama Staff +3 makes all the differnece in the world, seriously
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Rockie
user: Vege
By Quetzalcoatl.Rockie 2011-12-07 18:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

OK. thanks for the Info, Yama Staff +3(DMG)is in the works.
Archon Ring is sexy, but don't see me owning something like that.
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-12-07 18:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I keep reading to gear the same but SE specifically said in one of their update notes that it is only affected by int and not mab, this would change at the very least your earrings....
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial
user: Kyrial
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial 2011-12-07 18:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Lawliett said: »
Aye, it's a beast in dynamis if you have Twilight Cape, Anrin Obi, Yama's Staff +3, Zodiac Ring, etc.
I thought Zodiac Ring didn't work on light/dark spells? I could be totally wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere...
 Phoenix.Elspetta
Server: Phoenix
user: Elspetta
By Phoenix.Elspetta 2011-12-08 09:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said: »
I keep reading to gear the same but SE specifically said in one of their update notes that it is only affected by int and not mab, this would change at the very least your earrings....
I do not recall this? Do you have a link to this, because I would definitely be interested in seeing it!

I do recall them saying it was dark elemental and not dark magic. On that note, I see a boost from using ascetic's so I am going to stick with my MAB nuking set. (From memory, in full +2 and Yama's +3, I would get ~4600 non ascetics and ~5200 with ascetics)

However, I do not have any objections to seeing the testing and maths behind it.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-12-08 11:41:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Elspetta said: »
I do not recall this? Do you have a link to this, because I would definitely be interested in seeing it!

I do recall them saying it was dark elemental and not dark magic. On that note, I see a boost from using ascetic's so I am going to stick with my MAB nuking set. (From memory, in full +2 and Yama's +3, I would get ~4600 non ascetics and ~5200 with ascetics)

However, I do not have any objections to seeing the testing and maths behind it.

I suck at navigating the official forums and I don't remember the exact wording but it was the devs response to someone *** about comet not doing enough damage and their words where gear better, int has a much stronger effect on comet then mab does. It's just something I remember reading with a note from dev tag on it back about the time comet came out( somewhere between it's release on test server and up to a month after it's official release). I could be wrong but I 100% remember reading it vividly.
 Cerberus.Lawliett
By Cerberus.Lawliett 2011-12-08 13:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Elspetta said: »

I suck at navigating the official forums and I don't remember the exact wording but it was the devs response to someone *** about comet not doing enough damage and their words where gear better, int has a much stronger effect on comet then mab does. It's just something I remember reading with a note from dev tag on it back about the time comet came out( somewhere between it's release on test server and up to a month after it's official release). I could be wrong but I 100% remember reading it vividly.

You're thinking of Kaustra, Scholar's Dark Magic Comet/Meteor equivalent, INT has a higher Mod for it then MaB, just like all traditional Helix spells, even though SE made a statement saying it would be solely dependent on INT, MaB affects it as well.
 Asura.Alkimi
Server: Asura
user: Alkimi
By Asura.Alkimi 2011-12-08 16:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial said: »
I thought Zodiac Ring didn't work on light/dark spells? I could be totally wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere...

The description is badly worded on Zodiac ring. Despite it saying 'enhances elemental magic' it works on anything. Even cures, quick draw, ninjitsu etc.
 Lakshmi.Greggles
Server: Lakshmi
user: Greggles
By Lakshmi.Greggles 2011-12-08 16:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
I took this screenshot when I finished Yama's staff to compare them on a normal mob no hidden buffs or abyssea etc. using the exact same nuking gear on both nukes, except staffs

It's far from weak and a lot of fun in dynamis with Anrin obi and that lovely double weather, making it just molest all your other single target nukes

The problem isn't that it's weak, it's that it does only slightly better than Thunder V for like 60-70 mp more than Thunder V.
 Leviathan.Snakeslice
Server: Leviathan
user: neavep
By Leviathan.Snakeslice 2011-12-08 16:47:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Alkimi said: »

The description is badly worded on Zodiac ring. Despite it saying 'enhances elemental magic' it works on anything. Even cures, quick draw, ninjitsu etc.

Even if it didn't effect dark spells, comet is not a dark spell. It is actually elemental which would fall under MAB properties.
 Cerberus.Lawliett
By Cerberus.Lawliett 2011-12-10 00:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Snakeslice said: »
Asura.Alkimi said: »

Even if it didn't effect dark spells, comet is not a dark spell. It is actually elemental which would fall under MAB properties.

While I don't have the ring to test it out (lol dead content), I have read in a few places that it has no effect on Impact, which falls under the Elemental magic category. I can't say for sure, that was posted on wiki a long time ago, and it could have been by someone who sucks at math, but just throwing that out there. Impact could either A. be an exception to all other Elemental Magic, or B. Zodiac Ring just doesn't affect Dark-based Nuke spells.