...DID WE JUST SEE A MULTI-HIT AOE NUKE?! O_O
Yes.... yes we did. :)
 Hades.Medjai
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: medjai
By Hades.Medjai 2011-08-17 08:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

it also seems to have a potent dot considering the akrab didnt die to just the nuke
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-08-17 08:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll tell you in three hours when my shitty capped internet finishes loading the video.

Shaped to 128k my ***, more like 1.28k
 Ragnarok.Ravant
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ravant
By Ragnarok.Ravant 2011-08-17 08:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

wow... that was pretty awesome!
 Hades.Medjai
By Hades.Medjai 2011-08-17 08:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

it also seems like this isnt under Tabula Rasa effect spell that SE said that sch would get, since in second part of vid the SCH only used 2 JAs compared to 3 in first part.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
Server: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-08-17 08:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, didnt think sch would get Merton/Meltdown, that's pretty sweet~
[+]
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
Server: Leviathan
user: kbeezie
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-17 08:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Medjai said: »
it also seems like this isnt under Tabula Rasa effect spell that SE said that sch would get, since in second part of vid the SCH only used 2 JAs compared to 3 in first part.

Based on the visuals, in the second one seemed to be Merton followed by Manifestation (aoe of enfeebling). In the first one, looked like they opened up with "Dark Arts".

Doesn't look like Addendum: Dark was used in either, since that visual has more of a sphere around your body as opposed to the ring of balls like in manifestation.

So there's a good chance that either
1) Addendum: Dark is not required for the ability.
or
2) That it's not required (which would be evident in the fact they used "Dark Arts" in first video.
 Hades.Medjai
By Hades.Medjai 2011-08-17 08:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Haruhigumi said: »

Based on the visuals, in the second one seemed to be Merton followed by Manifestation (aoe of enfeebling). In the first one, looked like they opened up with "Dark Arts".

Doesn't look like Addendum: Dark was used in either, since that visual has more of a sphere around your body as opposed to the ring of balls like in manifestation.

So there's a good chance that either
1) Addendum: Dark is not required for the ability.
or
2) That it's not required (which would be evident in the fact they used "Dark Arts" in first video.
im not a sch so i dont pay much attention to their abilities visuals so yeah lol
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-17 09:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

im not a sch so i dont pay much attention to their abilities visuals so yeah lol

90Sch here, I actually just shot off a few stratagems in port jeuno just before posting to verify. Some were saying the spell will probably cost a lot of MP. Course I see that being possible to play on the Sch's ability to conserve mp (i.e.: throw in an extra stratagem if its that big a problem).
 Hades.Medjai
By Hades.Medjai 2011-08-17 09:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

90Sch here, I actually just shot off a few stratagems in port jeuno just before posting to verify. Some were saying the spell will probably cost a lot of MP. Course I see that being possible to play on the Sch's ability to conserve mp (i.e.: throw in an extra stratagem if its that big a problem).
im sure it will be one of those spells where you cant use a stratagem to lower mp cost, since looks like that SCH was using full AF3+2, again im not a sch so idk if full af3+2 is useful, or having select peices of af3+2 like sam,thf,nin any other DD that doesnt use full af3+2 and be useful.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-08-17 09:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda makes me wonder what other neat things SCH might be getting.

or for that matter if SCH gets this... what does BLM get?
[+]
 Hades.Medjai
By Hades.Medjai 2011-08-17 09:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Catnipthief said: »
Kinda makes me wonder what other neat things SCH might be getting.

or for that matter if SCH gets this... what does BLM get?
blm is getting comet and meteor if i remember right
 Valefor.Fmaxgluttony
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Fmaxgluttony 2011-08-17 09:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

it might not cost any mp in the first clip the sch had no mp when she casted the spell also no atmas/cruor buffs so it might just possibly get stronger than its actually being shown in the clips...here's hoping lol.
 Hades.Medjai
By Hades.Medjai 2011-08-17 09:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Fmaxgluttony said: »
it might not cost any mp in the first clip the sch had no mp when she casted the spell also no atmas/cruor buffs so it might just possibly get stronger than its actually being shown in the clips...here's hoping lol.
you sure right lol just noticed that, of course it is on SEs test server so they might be working the MP cost
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-17 09:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

im sure it will be one of those spells where you cant use a stratagem to lower mp cost, since looks like that SCH was using full AF3+2, again im not a sch so idk if full af3+2 is useful, or having select peices of af3+2 like sam,thf,nin any other DD that doesnt use full af3+2 and be useful.

The +2 is essentially same as +1 except you get boost in the base stats (def, mp, int, mnd), and the Set bonus towards occasionally instantly casting magic of the same grimore (white/black). So I'd imagine they could have even been using +1 or Base in the video. I'm currently wearing full +1 but as you can see from the wiki you just get more base plus the set bonus. But who knows maybe they'll augment the +2 to improve upon this new spell.

I course been waiting forever to have some kind of aoe-nuke capability, but it does kind of keep the jobs somewhat balanced. Just wish they'd give a lil more white capabilities to scholars though (i.e.: we can cast IV and V nukes with Addendum:Black, but can only use Cure IV at best even if we don't need Addendum: White for it).
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-17 09:12:40
Link | Quote | Reply

you sure right lol just noticed that, of course it is on SEs test server so they might be working the MP cost

Well on their own server and such for 'showcasing' purpose might have very minimal stats display. Just to keep the speculations high until release, for all we know, the ability probably doesn't even cast that fast either.
 Valefor.Fmaxgluttony
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Fmaxgluttony 2011-08-17 09:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

also does anyone else think the start up animation semi resembles ultima/nova abit might just be me but that spell does look pretty.
[+]
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-17 09:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

also does anyone else think the start up animation semi resembles ultima/nova abit might just be me but that spell does look pretty.

lol it certainly does look like the kind of visual you'd go "Whoosh" after.
 Bahamut.Zellc
Server: Bahamut
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-08-17 09:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

that

is

a

'mazing!

so it has a dot to it. mix of helix and nuke.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-08-17 09:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh it's a Nuke with a DoT? It looked like a multi-hit for a moment.

That would've been cool too, but Nuke+DOT sounds more like SCH.
 Bahamut.Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-08-17 09:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

also, i think they were just wearing full emp gear and weapon for aesthetics.
 Hades.Medjai
By Hades.Medjai 2011-08-17 09:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said: »
i think its a nuke/dot i believe because the last mandy in the second part of the vid died from the war not hitting it.
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-17 09:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zellc said: »
that

is

a

'mazing!

so it has a dot to it. mix of helix and nuke.

It's probably like a Helix but with stronger initial damage, and lower DoT damage.

I'm still a bit curious what the second JA was in the first kill right after the dark arts visual. Wondering if maybe its one of the 4 stratagems I didn't bother to merit cuz they cost 2 charges (i.e.: the two Magic Accuracy boosting stratagems).

The spell Merton itself probably has no AOE capability, which is why Manifestation was used in the second kill. So it could be like you said, a form of helix with a strong initial damage.
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-17 09:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

That would've been cool too, but Nuke+DOT sounds more like SCH.

Well a Helix is a Multi-hit if you think about it. Just does the initial damage every 9 seconds for the duration of the spell.

Bahamut.Zellc said: »
also, i think they were just wearing full emp gear and weapon for aesthetics.

Well it IS sexy....
 Sylph.Washburn
Server: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2011-08-17 09:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw a post somewhere saying something along the lines of Merton and Brave(the light arts new spell) will be available while Tabula Rasa is up, similar to Summoner's using Odin / Alexander.
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-17 09:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Washburn said: »
I saw a post somewhere saying something along the lines of Merton and Brave(the light arts new spell) will be available while Tabula Rasa is up, similar to Summoner's using Odin / Alexander.

Would be weak if it required Tabula Rasa, but normally you wouldn't be using the 2 hour BEFORE casting your 2 hour (but then again you can do it, as its how many people beat their Sch LB5). Chances are if they did do it, they did not show it in the videos.
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-08-17 09:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

i think its a nuke/dot i believe because the last mandy in the second part of the vid died from the war not hitting it.
On the scorpion you can see that it is left afroun 10% after the nuke then dies from DoT also
 Bahamut.Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-08-17 09:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

i know it will prob be a mp spell, but im thinking outside of the box. maybe the spell will consume however much mp is stored in sublimation and convert it to dmg. might be a little too intricate but to me, it sounds like an interesting idea.
 Hades.Medjai
By Hades.Medjai 2011-08-17 09:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
On the scorpion you can see that it is left afroun 10% after the nuke then dies from DoT also
i believe thats why Que thought it was a multi-hit but i could be wrong
First Page 2 3 4 5 6