I used Afflictors too, from skill 30 ~> 387 ><

now got : 427/444 magic ><

almost but not quite yet.............
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-06-08 13:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought of this one (4 HP/tick Regen) (4 MP/tick Refresh)

just the basic parts are : Head, Weapon and Mantle

Rest is up to you.

ItemSet 303772

Just thought be a nice set for either Idle while Black Mage Automaton is out or a White Mage Automaton or even a Red..... auto.......

idk about the rest of you but mine keeps running out of mp fast from doing Cure VI / V or Elemental Tier V's

so this would help it recover while u not fighting (Running around / AFK) or even during the fight (Maybe!?) if we swap h2h for Rigor or w/e u using

just a Thought , would like some Feedback if possible.

thanks
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-08 14:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are running out of mp, just use the deactivate trick. Also if you're skilling up your melee frame (as is part of the title in this thread), you might want to focus on more pet:haste gear. Moepapa stone, and Pantin Dastanas+2 and either Murzim Zuchetto or Omodaka Hizayoroi or MKD head with pet haste+5 are all easy to get pieces and should cap you on haste with 1 wind maneuver up and turbo charger. Can use omodaka with Cirque+2 if you felt the need to combine both. I think it still maxes out your haste. Also if you're skilling melee, your pet is obviously close to or tanking the mob so you might want to change to pet:PDT- claws or something. I don't think that 1 regen on those claws is doing much of anything while actively engaged.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-06-08 14:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

meh kinda annoying to do such , but ya i do that more often than i wish to ><
By Lariae 2013-06-08 14:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

So to add to this.. I skilled up to about 70 at Qufim (I have alternator) then went to CN till 150, Abyssea Hammering Rams until 250, then Tablilla NM until cap. This allowed me to run a maneuvar macro and pretty much afk to watch movies or do other stuff. Keep auto alive with Ducal guard, Mounted champion and i used Cloak and Dagger as the third atma.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-06-08 14:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are majorly over-complicating things...

Regen atmas > deploy > AFK

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Pet haste/pdt helps for sure, and a water maneuver with percolator is never a bad thing if you actually want to "be involved" in the skilling process. Depending on your frame's skill level and what you're fighting it can take your pet a good 10-15 minutes to kill something, so just deploy and go do other things for a bit. If you're severely under cap feel free to add Cloak and Dagger or Drifter as your 3rd atma (I did) depending on which skill you need more of... I started my skilling in Aby Tahrongi on the turtles by flux 6 as they have higher defense and a fair amount of HP for slower killing and more AFK time... My skill level at the beginning was around 110-130ish melee/ranged, and I'm sure I whiffed a TON, but who cares, I wasn't paying attention lol... Once those don't do it for you anymore, go to Aby Uleguerand and deploy on Marids over by flux 7 (they're usually checking DC at 99, so you can cap on them).

Just do this in your spare time or whenever... If you don't have like ~2000 Abyssea stones banked at this stage of the game, you're doing it wrong :P
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-08 14:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Errbody be skillin' da hard way.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-06-08 15:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I just skilled it up naturally by bringing the auto along to things I was already doing - Dynamis, Salvage2, etc. With Alternator making acc issues almost non-existent, you're not gimping yourself that much by having an under-skilled auto with you.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-08 15:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP/DNC, Balayang outside of Qu'Bia Arena

Best experience I've ever not experienced
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-08 15:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
PUP/DNC, Balayang outside of Qu'Bia Arena

Best experience I've ever not experienced

Duriumshells for me!
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-08 15:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Those are aggressive, aren't they? I'm sure it works fine, I just sleep a little more soundly with Balayang not linking, aggroing, or generally being able to dent anyone with Signet and /DNC
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-08 15:15:00
Link | Quote | Reply

On the serious though, those bats are my homeboys. Capped every combat skill(including throwing), every automaton frame, unlocked every quested WS, and probably something else I'm forgetting because of those beautiful creatures
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-08 18:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, Duriumshell don't link or aggro and they're crabs so they have the offensive prowess ofa ... PLD.
 Bismarck.Diablosword
By Bismarck.Diablosword 2013-06-08 18:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

What about those bats?
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-08 18:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Nah, Duriumshell don't link or aggro and they're crabs so they have the offensive prowess ofa ... PLD.

The Wikis lie!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [54 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2013-08-01 12:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Azryel said: »
You guys are majorly over-complicating things...

Regen atmas > deploy > AFK

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Pet haste/pdt helps for sure, and a water maneuver with percolator is never a bad thing if you actually want to "be involved" in the skilling process. Depending on your frame's skill level and what you're fighting it can take your pet a good 10-15 minutes to kill something, so just deploy and go do other things for a bit. If you're severely under cap feel free to add Cloak and Dagger or Drifter as your 3rd atma (I did) depending on which skill you need more of... I started my skilling in Aby Tahrongi on the turtles by flux 6 as they have higher defense and a fair amount of HP for slower killing and more AFK time... My skill level at the beginning was around 110-130ish melee/ranged, and I'm sure I whiffed a TON, but who cares, I wasn't paying attention lol... Once those don't do it for you anymore, go to Aby Uleguerand and deploy on Marids over by flux 7 (they're usually checking DC at 99, so you can cap on them).

Just do this in your spare time or whenever... If you don't have like ~2000 Abyssea stones banked at this stage of the game, you're doing it wrong :P

Pretty much this. went from 140 magic to 330 in like 4-5 hours of deploying auto on mandys in Attohwa. Since their accuracy seems to stink compared to mandys in Altepa (Leads to less spell casting interruptions). Using MM MC DG. My pup decked out in -pdt and holding onto many mandys. Will be using the same mob once i start working on melee and ranged. Don't see it taking omfg forever.
Eyefinity set up. Netflix and another game running while skilling up ftw?

I don't see trying to find a loop hole making auto skill ups any easier. It's really simple any way you do it, but also time consuming any way you do it. So just do it. Damn 54 days is considered necro. Oops.
By nokioki 2013-08-02 05:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Capping magic is not even an issue if you actually use your whm head, I capped mine just fighting stuff with Muffin healing me, ranged and melee were more of an issue, both around 380 stage now and taking forever to reach the cap.

I've been running around Abyssea killing NMs for +2 upgrade items (which is really satisfying, being able to do it for yourself). Iron Giants and Caturae are ideal targets since fights will take around 10 mins and you generally get a fair amount of skill-ups.

One thing I've wondered though is with percolator, is simply having it attached enough for skill-ups or do you need to have a water maneuver active? Not sure how to properly test it since it all seems to random but I seem to get as many skill-ups with 3 wind up for drum magazine as I do with 2 wind and 1 water. Obviously 2 wind is slower for ranged attacks!

Someone mentioned Chariots, is there one in particular that is a good one to skill-up on, I thought of the ones in Grauberg but one uses Discoid for a LOT of damage and the other one is quite weak.
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-08-02 07:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

nokioki said: »
One thing I've wondered though is with percolator, is simply having it attached enough for skill-ups or do you need to have a water maneuver active? Not sure how to properly test it since it all seems to random but I seem to get as many skill-ups with 3 wind up for drum magazine as I do with 2 wind and 1 water. Obviously 2 wind is slower for ranged attacks!
Works just like most other attachments. It has a base rate, that rate is raised as you add more maneuvers of the corresponding element. Whether that increase is worth it would depend on the actual increase and I doubt anyone has made the time to test it because I'm sure it would be annoying and most people who would test it probably already have skills near, if not already, capped.
 Carbuncle.Hakubo
Server: Carbuncle
user: nokioki
By Carbuncle.Hakubo 2013-08-02 07:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

So really, having faster ranged attacks would probably come out on top in terms of getting skill-ups :)

I'll be glad when I get these last 50 or so levels.
 Bahamut.Glizdus
Server: Bahamut
user: Gli2duS
By Bahamut.Glizdus 2013-08-16 00:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

SE needs to unlock skilling in Colonization Reive.
That will be a skill up heaven.
I just wonder why they lock it anyway.
By Yolteotl 2013-08-23 03:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been trying to cap my Pup Skills but it stopped and didn't go blue.
I've got Forefront Animator (Automaton Boost: 106), Percolator, Optic Fiber, and Cirque Pantaloni +2 (Skill +10). My only Tier 1 Puppetmaster Merits are Activate and Repair Recast.

My magic skill is 434 base skill (the true skill level displayed on screen while skilling up), even though base cap is 424 (it 'showed' 434 since hitting 424 base bc of empy pants, but kept going actual 434 base) never turned blue, just stopped.
My ranged skill is 427 base skill, with base cap of 417.
My melee is still a work in progress @400.

I've tried even match (105-6) mobs for 3 hours and no skill ups. Then went to lvl 108 mobs in Adoulin and no skill-ups for an hour.

Is it even possible to cap blue skills if you use Forefront Animator before already achieving blue skills? I mean it's not going up no matter what I do, but they aren't displayed as capped. Tried using older Animators and didn't change anything.

I'm by no means new to skilling up, have capped every skill in the game aside from these automaton skills and SMN, but this makes me feel HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

The Producer said: "The animators with item levels have accuracy and other stats built into them, and it will not increase individual automaton skills (melee skill, magic skill, and ranged skill)." but I can't figure out why I can't cap blue.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [73 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
user: kbeezie
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2013-11-04 01:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yolteotl said: »
I've got Forefront Animator (Automaton Boost: 106), Percolator, Optic Fiber, and Cirque Pantaloni +2 (Skill +10). My only Tier 1 Puppetmaster Merits are Activate and Repair Recast.

You realize of course by bumping your overall level you also reduce the class of the mob. Kind of like why you get more skill ups on "Decent Challenge" vs "Easy" when your skill level is already higher up. Ergo If you want to skill up faster, don't make the mobs easier. (and make sure you're using a percolator attachment).
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Server: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2013-11-07 16:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Walk of Echoes to join utility and productivity while getting items for Empyrean WS unlocking! :P
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-11-08 02:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Haruhigumi said: »
Yolteotl said: »

You realize of course by bumping your overall level you also reduce the class of the mob. Kind of like why you get more skill ups on "Decent Challenge" vs "Easy" when your skill level is already higher up. Ergo If you want to skill up faster, don't make the mobs easier. (and make sure you're using a percolator attachment).
To my understanding, and if it works like player skillups, all that matters is that the mob's level be at or above the level at which your current combat skill would reach its cap. Current job level is immaterial. That being said, I might still recommend removing the iLevel animator--assuming you're still able to land hits and survive, you'll get more skillups per mob if you aren't plowing through them like snow. :]

Not sure why the above poster had so much trouble, but I hope he managed to finish capping his skills. :D
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Nikashi
Server: Odin
user: Nikashi
By Odin.Nikashi 2013-12-09 05:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, what I've been doing is going out to Ceizak Battlegrounds with Sharpshot/Valoredge frames and attacking the uragnites. Just equip an Eraser, Auto-Repair Kit, Heatsink, and Percolator at the minimum. Deploy against one and let your automation go.

I usually keep two water maneuvers and one light maneuver up, and it works out pretty well.

Edit: My first post? Damn, I'm a hell of a lurker...
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2013-12-19 11:18:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Soloing Dragua for scales took me up from 290-340, and im only 14/75.. Same as the others, Put on 2 regen atmas and DG and you're fine. Kills took a bit of time, but i'm sure you wouldn't care if you're just wanting skill ups on Valoredge. Earth, Thunder, Water rotation with perk and you'll be fine. Most damage pet'll take is around 200 from Stoneja, and thats pushing it. Physical attacks do negligible damage, often times missing anyway. Obvious attachments: Perk, Both armor plates, Mana Jammer II, Accelerators ... Stoneskin and Auto-repair kits if you're paranoid about HP.. Pretty simple skilling, just stay 30.1' back for Terra wing.
 Asura.Melbufrauma
Server: Asura
By Asura.Melbufrauma 2013-12-19 12:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Depending on your skill level, One of the best places I found when I was trying to skill up my automaton was the Duriumshells in Vunkerl Inlet (S), just let your automaton whack/pew it to death, keep up water/wind maneuvers for skill gain rate/haste increase (if you have percolator and turbo charger, respectively) There are tons of them there.
 Lakshmi.Deces
Server: Lakshmi
user: Deces
By Lakshmi.Deces 2013-12-19 14:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

GoV Skill up enhancement capped with martial master would be ideal I would assume.
 Asura.Materdark
Server: Asura
By Asura.Materdark 2013-12-31 16:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i found an easy way to skill up.
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Dragua

No one looks at the wiki talk page have listed it there also.

Go in aby and pop Dragua with atma:
Atma of the Ducal Guard
Atma of the Mounted Champion
Atma of Vicissitude / or pick refresh atma

And if you have auto controller pad you can macro dark maneuvar up overnight :P (if you have TE build up):P

This can be done for 120min in aby (unless you farm TE) then break for 1 hour then go in again.
Good luck guys