users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Bst/Dnc Self Skill Chain Options
Bst/Dnc Self Skill Chain Options
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2011-07-03 03:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

OK finally got some time to go out and do some testing in Abyssea. With RR VV and Sea Daughter you have plenty of regain to self skill chain, and test things out.

Cloudsplitter > Cloudsplitter produces darkness.

Cloudsplitter > Decimation or vice versa produces light.

While I realize that farsha was never gonna put out huge damage #'s, and it shouldn't because pets are a large part of our DOT, and making CS do huge #'s would overpower the job it would have been nice if SE had made it somewhat stronger than it is atm.
 Sylph.Kollosis
Server: Sylph
user: Kollosis
By Sylph.Kollosis 2011-07-04 16:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Not really related to the pissing contest going on in this thread right now, but how does BST with Maxed Pet: PDT- fare against Isgebind? I haven't risked a pop to find out yet, and I have no desire to force other people to share my torment.

As stated previously, With the amount of -MDT we can get, i would be more worried about the paralyze screwing you over.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2011-07-04 17:00:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Fistandantilus said:
OK finally got some time to go out and do some testing in Abyssea. With RR VV and Sea Daughter you have plenty of regain to self skill chain, and test things out. Cloudsplitter > Cloudsplitter doesn't produce darkness. In fact it produces nothing ; ; Cloudsplitter > Decimation or vice versa produces light. While leading off with a 300% CS is optimal for level3 aftermath closing the chain with decimation produces a weaker skill chain obviously damagewise. While I don't have a parser, and can't say for sure it did seem that w/e one you lead off with the damage over time will be about the same. Either you'll open with CS and have a longer aftermath, or close with it and have slightly higher skillchain #'s. Depressingly enough tho it seems the only sensible way to maximize damage is to CS then spam rampages till the aftermath wears, and needs to be reapplied. While I realize that farsha was never gonna put out huge damage #'s, and it shouldn't because pets are a large part of our DOT, and making CS do huge #'s would overpower the job it would have been nice if SE had made it somewhat stronger than it is atm. Or at the very least made the properties of CS match up to do either darkness or light when you closed with rampage, or CS x2. That wouldn't have been game breaking, and would have allowed people who enjoy going that extra mile to pump out a respectable self chain everytime they had 5 steps. Take pup for example. While I don't have pup leveled several of my friends do. A Vere pup can VS > VS to create light I believe. Seems bst got the short end of the stick, when you compare that to CS options.
Are you certain you are knocking Cloudsplitters together fast enough? It should be able to produce self darkness, as its properties are Darkness/fragmentation. I've never heard of a differing sub property preventing the main level 3 properties from producing Light or Darkness.
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2011-07-04 21:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes I need to amend that. When I went to test the other night Mis coast was extra buggy/lagfest. Cloudsplitter > Cloudsplitter does produce Darkness. Went to test again a bit earlier, and had no problem linking the two with RR, Sea Daughter, and Atma of the lion.

So end results inside abyssea are:

CS > CS = Darkness
CS > Decimation (and vice versa) = Light

Still working on a viable build to be able to link CS > CS outside abyssea without sacrificing any of my haste. Only chains I've been able to do reliably so far outside is Rampage > Decimation, or Rampage > Primal Rend. When I arrive at a decent set up I will post it.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-07-04 22:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Just an fyi, all Empyrean WS do either Darkness or Light when used back to back.
 Fenrir.Omgwtftaru
Server: Fenrir
user: kivyin
By Fenrir.Omgwtftaru 2011-07-05 00:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's all the SC a BST can do with axe > axe. Copied from the FFXI Calculator. I don't personally self skillchain, but eyeballing though if you do self skillchain, Cloudsplitter > Cloudsplitter seems to be your best bet then just Rampage until the add. effect from Farsha wears off and just repeat.
[+]
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2011-07-05 00:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Omgwtftaru said:
Here's all the SC a BST can do with axe > axe. Copied from the FFXI Calculator. I don't personally self skillchain, but eyeballing though if you do self skillchain, Cloudsplitter > Cloudsplitter seems to be your best bet then just Rampage until the add. effect from Farsha wears off and just repeat.

Thank You sir :)
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2011-07-11 01:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

An update to my testing:

Yeah the WS is definitely in need of some sort of adjustment. I have been able to fairly reliably link Decimation >> Cloudsplitter = Light outside abyssea. Solo without haste or marches. I have added to my Decimation macro Taranis's harness, and hoard ring. This coupled with Carbonara allows for the needed tp gain to make self light on about 8 out of every ten attempts.

Decimation 16-21 tp return, 60tp from reverse flourish, then the following attack round where if both hits land all you need is a DA/TA/QA to proc, or make sure you have hate prior to beginning the chain, and a hit from the mob will put you @100tp to close the chain with Cloudsplitter.

The unfortunate reality being Dec > CS = light only nets you a little more than a fully accurate Rampage. Slightly more in some of the WS performed in my testing, but overall only a modest increase. Where as if you rampage > reverse flourish > rampage your doing far more even w/o the chain.

I've not been able to link CS > CS = darkness outside solo yet. Still need to pick up some other STP options like tactical mantle, Odin earring, etc, to make that reliable. However I do not believe even with the CS > CS chains, and having the aftermath up constantly am I going to produce more damage then just spamming rampage over, and over, and... you get the idea ^^

To put the effort into making a farsha coupled with having a decent tp, and WS set, and going the extra mile with the whole reverse flourish to self chain bit, and still being out damaged by a WS like rampage we've had forever is just meh. What exactly is the boon to bst for this weapon aside from the highest base damage @90 2nd only to Aymur, and the +str, and +mnd on it? A slightly lower delay?

It's certainly not the access to amber from Cloudsplitter. Bst already had access to that thru Aeolian Edge(which at least is AoE, and can assist in amber gathering along with AoE pet attacks) or Primal rend for those w/o dagger skilled up.

A brew toy? Once again Bst had Primal Rend which was plenty of brew power for Bst.

So please SE take a look at these factors, and make some sort of a needed adjustment. For myself it isn't the end of the world. I am fortunate enough to have a solid group for empy's, but if I were a career bst trying to solo my way to farsha in the effort to be the best I can at the job I would be pretty nonplussed with the current state of it.
 Siren.Inuyushi
Server: Siren
user: Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-07-11 11:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You forget that being able to make Skill chains opens up the possibility for lowman Magic Bursts! Which imo is the biggest part of Skillchains. Good test results but atleast BST got something out of this all, I wouldn't be begging to SE to change it.
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2011-07-11 18:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Inuyushi said:
You forget that being able to make Skill chains opens up the possibility for lowman Magic Bursts! Which imo is the biggest part of Skillchains. Good test results but atleast BST got something out of this all, I wouldn't be begging to SE to change it.

While I do enjoy magic bursts, even more so because it is something of a lost art nowadays. I don't think the majority of beastmaster's are going to see much benefit from that aspect of it's gameplay. I had originally posted this on the official forums hence the comment to the developers. I would look at my "request" less as begging, and more as a review of the facts. Farsha truly brings very little to the job in the sense of it being a useful tool.

In this day, and age of abyssea, and giving players what they want it seems counter productive to still be pumping out high end weapons that are for all intents, and purposes broken. Or at the very least offer low reward for the effort spent in making them. My hope with doing the testing was to point out that even going above, and beyond effortwise it still produces very low results when compared to the rest of empyreans, and even loses to a WS bst has had access to like rampage for years.

Slightly adjusting the WS so with a good WS set it churns out 1.8-2k results doesn't seem to be asking a lot imo. At least then it could be spammed, and bst's could gain the benefit of it's aftermath which I would at least "hope" was the intention when they created the weapon in the 1st place.