Can Anyone Explain This (another Mining Question)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXIV » Trade Skills » Miner » Can anyone explain this (another mining question)
Can anyone explain this (another mining question)
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-06-24 21:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is it that I spent forever mining in Limsa region and the only time I ever damaged whatever I was digging at, was when I ran out of stamina, yet I go to Uldah and constantly damage the items on my first swing? They're both Grade 2 spots, so what's the deal?
 Valefor.Artemys
user: Artemys
By Valefor.Artemys 2011-06-24 22:19:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had very similar experiences. . .both mining and logging.
By LadySaeko 2011-06-24 22:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Not all grades are created equal. Uldah grade 2 has Sphene, Zinc, Silver Ore & Silver Sand which are a bit higher lvl to pull consistantly vs Limsa grade 2 Iron Sand, Limonite & the rest garbage from what I remember.

I see in your other post you just hit rank 13. Uldah grade 2 is good about 16-20. Your just doing mining for smithing, so Id never leave Limsa if all you really after is iron.

Another great example would be Limsa grade 4 vs Uldah/Grid grade 4. Uldah/Grid grade 4 jumps into Mythril Ore & Gold Sand so if you go to Uldah right when you get LotL4 your gona break alot vs Limsa grade 4 where your still gona be pulling up only Limonite, Iron Sand & Iron Ore.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-06-24 22:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not 13 anymore, I've been basically grinding mining for the past couple of days, I started at 8 yesterday, I'm now about 2k shy of 16, and I'm not just after it for BSM, I have GLD and ALC as well (BSM is just my main craft, the one I put the most work/money into) I decided to go try to mine in Uldah for some Zinc, and once I get what I'm after I'm going back to Limsa because I'm starting to get aggravated with all the damaged stuff.. But I didn't know that they aren't all the same, I just assumed one grade 2 is the same as another and figured I must be missing something..
By LadySaeko 2011-06-24 23:24:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope your just under level for Zinc is all ^^. All the items have their own lvls on this site if you go to Browse then click Ore it shows the levels of the different ore. Its not exact, but it's pretty accurate about the differences between them.

Eorzeapedia http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Main_Page under Exploring Eorzea then Regions you can pull up each area and it lists what all can be mined up at a specific grade so you can cross reference where you wana go ^^. Like choosing Thanalan Map then Eastern Thanalan will get you grade 2 mining results.
 Midgardsormr.Redbun
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Redbun
By Midgardsormr.Redbun 2011-06-25 07:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

There are always rarer items thrown into the mix when logging/mining. Usually you are too under-ranked to be able to mine up these items, but the game still gives you a chance to try for it. You can sometimes tell you've encountered one if your stamina bar seems strangely low before you even start hitting.
You have to be really lucky and be able to mine these within the 2 hits that your stamina can withstand. I don't know the criteria for encountering these rarer items, and it could just be totally random, but at rank 30 there is an ability that gives you more accuracy to encounter these rarer items.
At grade 2 you won't really get anything worthwhile, but later it will be important to want to get your hands on things like gold, and mythril ore.
 Bismarck.Rellz
Server: Bismarck
user: Relleum
By Bismarck.Rellz 2011-06-25 10:35:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Each item has a listed rank which would basically tell its difficulty. each area has different yields would in turn determine the difficulty of extracting

You also said you broke every hit constantly. could it be fatigue? that would cause you to break when u would normally have extracted it. you can tell if u break an item due to fatigue or not because items that are easy to extract will still break in 1 hit