BRD Advice!? Help Me Not Suck :)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » BRD Advice!? Help me not suck :)
BRD Advice!? Help me not suck :)
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-06-21 03:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone tried Rudra's on BRD? lol
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-06-21 04:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Speaking of cure potency...

Other than

Surya's +2
Augur gloves

What other pieces are there?

I was thinking about making an MKE cure potency hat.

If you are main healing for low man you can always use cure potency atmas. I use Harmony but if you cleared Dynamis Xarc there is one from there. Otherwise, not too much cure potency available to BRD (silly SMN getting to use Facio Bilaut =/).

The torque I think is insanely expensive for 3% but the augment hat and pants would probably be really quick to redo.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-06-21 06:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asymptotic obtains a Crooner's cithara!
 Caitsith.Goldensephiroth
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Goldensephiroth 2011-06-21 08:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I have a feeling imdoinitwrong. Started playing Brd a couple months ago and didn't really look for information on how to play it, just went off of what I thought would work best. One of the things that I see I'm missing from my playing style is the lack of skill sets for songs.

When I play, I use this set and then swap into this set. Now that's what I'm probably doing wrong. I switch to a Haste set just to lower the recast on the songs, since I never really knew what to switch into afterward. After reading this thread I see, however, that a skill set would be the best option.

Which brings me to my question. Is there an information database to find out the caps of certain songs (Scherzo, Marches, Minuets)? If not, what would be a rough estimate of how much skill I would need for some of the higher tier songs like Minuet V. With the current Recast set that I end up casting in, I sit at 354 Singing, 344 Wind and 315 String (String still 19 from cap). With gear I currently have, I could swap the Turban out for Marduk Tiara and the AF3 neck piece for the Barcarolle medal.

Also, a comment on spellcasting sets: From what I've seen, the Song spellcasting time caps at a much lower % than 50%, as I've seen songs casting in the 20%s of the Casting bar using my spellcasting set along with Deep Devourer. The cap seems to be around 75 or 80% from what I've observed. This seems to have started happening when the Crit Dmg cap and Fast Cast cap seemed to be broken.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-21 08:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Goldensephiroth said:
So, I have a feeling imdoinitwrong. Started playing Brd a couple months ago and didn't really look for information on how to play it, just went off of what I thought would work best. One of the things that I see I'm missing from my playing style is the lack of skill sets for songs.

When I play, I use this set and then swap into this set. Now that's what I'm probably doing wrong. I switch to a Haste set just to lower the recast on the songs, since I never really knew what to switch into afterward. After reading this thread I see, however, that a skill set would be the best option.

Which brings me to my question. Is there an information database to find out the caps of certain songs (Scherzo, Marches, Minuets)? If not, what would be a rough estimate of how much skill I would need for some of the higher tier songs like Minuet V. With the current Recast set that I end up casting in, I sit at 354 Singing, 344 Wind and 315 String (String still 19 from cap). With gear I currently have, I could swap the Turban out for Marduk Tiara and the AF3 neck piece for the Barcarolle medal.

Also, a comment on spellcasting sets: From what I've seen, the Song spellcasting time caps at a much lower % than 50%, as I've seen songs casting in the 20%s of the Casting bar using my spellcasting set along with Deep Devourer. The cap seems to be around 75 or 80% from what I've observed. This seems to have started happening when the Crit Dmg cap and Fast Cast cap seemed to be broken.

Ok, to start with... don't worry about skill so much. The only relevant thing skill will be effecting is Minuet V. If you have at least 600 skill (Singing and wind, or singing and string) then you're capped with March, and Marches are the only songs you should be singing unless you're the second BRD in a party.

Your sets are fine really, Start casting in precast and then switch into full AF3+2 or if not, a set with as much haste/recast down as you can.

and YES

I've been noticing this happening too, but I thought I was going crazy.

Deep devourer, MM and a Minstrels ring as well as full spellcast gear is shaving off way more time than it used to before the last update. I thought It was just me, but apparently not.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-21 08:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh also, I don't think Minuet V has a reachable cap yet. Or it's too close to test.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-06-21 09:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Oh also, I don't think Minuet V has a reachable cap yet. Or it's too close to test.
Either 680 skill or 700 skill. I forget which.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-21 09:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Either 680 skill or 700 skill. I forget which.

orly

That's simple to reach then
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-06-21 09:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

you are way over the cap on song spell casting time, no need for shair mantle on the set 1, sell it, its no longer needed
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-21 09:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:

you are way over the cap on song spell casting time, no need for shair mantle on the set 1, sell it, its no longer needed

It is needed if it allows you to cap without the use of Deep Devourer
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-21 09:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Also the cap seems higher than before. Try it out.
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-06-21 09:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
song spellcasting time cap is 50%, he have 68%... on set 1, (minus 12% shair mantle) 56%, fast cast does stacks with song spell casting too
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-06-21 09:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Notes from the update in question mentioned changing cap on Fast Cast, nothing about SSC time.
I know FC and SSC used to stack to a cap of 50%, not sure how they work now.
 Caitsith.Goldensephiroth
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Goldensephiroth 2011-06-21 09:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

As I said earlier, the Cap seems to have been raised. Try using your regular spellcasting gear, and then stack Deep Devourer on it. There should be a noticeable difference. With my current set, I get up to 72% after Fast Cast, and if I add Deep Devourer on top of it, I notice an even earlier cast time according to the casting bar. Check for yourself.

Also, thanks for the info Flion and Altar. I'm assuming the full set would be for the set bonus? I guess I'll give it a shot.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-06-21 10:09:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Easy to obtain items for a quick precast set are:

Aoidos' Matinee
Aoidos' Belt
Schellenband
Locquacious earring

Minstrel's ring is cheap now too, and easy to maintain in Abyssea.

Correct me if I'm wrong but latent rings are based off your base HP not abyssea enhanced hp. I know this is the case with the blm ring so I can't say for the brd but I thought I recalled my alt never getting it to work properly. I spent a number of months just thinking it was working because I never stay on her long enough to know what % stuff went off on.

So if you want to use this ring in abyssea you'll have to cancel your hp cruor buff as well as use an hp- set to put you below 75% of your normal hp.
By Creecreelo 2011-06-21 10:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Scherzo caps at 34% iirc

With full AF3+2.

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Also I'm 99% sure Scherzo caps at 34%

O.O

WOULD YOU STOP SPEWIN THAT BS ON ALL THE FLIPPIN' BRD THREADS!! >.<

I've posted responses to your "Scherzo caps at 34%" statements every time and posted my own test results in same threads.

I am 1000000000000000000000% certain that Scherzo does NOT cap at 34% Damage Taken. I'll have to check back to the thread I posted to see what my current exact Skill/DT was, but I believe it was around 43 or 42% DT.

No, I was not wearing any PDT, I was pretty much nekkid with a few exceptions to make my base HP a little lower to make Scherzo proc with 1000 Needles.

In any case, NO, Scherzo does NOT cap at 34% DT!! >.<

Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:

Would probably be your ideal buff set for things that havent capped out already like Minuet V etc, if you care enough/have the inventory space. Obviously you'd replace any necessary pieces with any that would enhance the song specifically like the +1 to Scherzo on the af3+2 feet.

Chances are though that you never will be lugging around this much gear because 90% of the time you're playing capped marches, which in that case you'd just use anything that extends song duration.

Hmmmmm, can't remember what it takes to for skill to cap Minuet V atm, but I feel like 8/8 Wind/Singing and the skill from Full AF3+2 is more than enough actually...

Haven't casted Minuet V with Apollo's for awhile, but I'll go check after I post this.

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Buff set is pointless if you're capped in skill as you're hitting maximum caps for all songs.

This^ The highest cap for song skill needed is 600 for March, so really everything else can just be nifty Fast Cast pieces for Song Casting. May as well use 5/5 AF3+2 for the +4 AGI on Marches to help with dAGI as well.

Just a small correction that 5/5 AF3+2 gives +5 to the stat bonus from the song, not +4. And March is "lightning" based so it gives Dex, not Agi. :P
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-21 10:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Creecreelo said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Scherzo caps at 34% iirc

With full AF3+2.

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Also I'm 99% sure Scherzo caps at 34%

O.O

WOULD YOU STOP SPEWIN THAT BS ON ALL THE FLIPPIN' BRD THREADS!! >.<

I've posted responses to your "Scherzo caps at 34%" statements every time and posted my own test results in same threads.

I am 1000000000000000000000% certain that Scherzo does NOT cap at 34% Damage Taken. I'll have to check back to the thread I posted to see what my current exact Skill/DT was, but I believe it was around 43 or 42% DT.

No, I was not wearing any PDT, I was pretty much nekkid with a few exceptions to make my base HP a little lower to make Scherzo proc with 1000 Needles.

In any case, NO, Scherzo does NOT cap at 34% DT!! >.<

Provide the proof then. I've never seen you posting after me, ever.

There was an extensive thread on BG about this and they deduced the cap was 34%. Please provide any evidence you have on the contrary.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-21 10:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Easy to obtain items for a quick precast set are:

Aoidos' Matinee
Aoidos' Belt
Schellenband
Locquacious earring

Minstrel's ring is cheap now too, and easy to maintain in Abyssea.

Correct me if I'm wrong but latent rings are based off your base HP not abyssea enhanced hp. I know this is the case with the blm ring so I can't say for the brd but I thought I recalled my alt never getting it to work properly. I spent a number of months just thinking it was working because I never stay on her long enough to know what % stuff went off on.

So if you want to use this ring in abyssea you'll have to cancel your hp cruor buff as well as use an hp- set to put you below 75% of your normal hp.

Nah it definitely works by canceling the HP buff.

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
song spellcasting time cap is 50%, he have 68%... on set 1, (minus 12% shair mantle) 56%, fast cast does stacks with song spell casting too

The cap has changed. Try it out.
[+]
By Creecreelo 2011-06-21 10:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Creecreelo said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
It applies to all damage.

When you'd get hit for more than 75% of your maximum HP it'll kick in and block up to 34% of it depending on skill and gear.

So if you were being hit with 10,000 needles instead of taking 10,000 you'd take 6600 damage.

This is true, except for the fact that Scherzo does NOT cap at 34%.

With 761 combined skill and +1 Scherzo from AF3 Feet, Scherzo took off 42% of 1000 Needles.

So as I've said before, Scherzo does NOT cap at 34%. Probably won't know the true cap until future lvl increases for more base skill.

Posted over from Sentinel Scherzo thread x.x

Would be nice if someone with a lvl 90 Gjallarhorn and full skill gear could test out max current potency on Scherzo. Couldn't test any further since there aren't any Singing/String skill Belts/Rings like Nereids/Marching Belt unless I'm blanking on something. >.<

With Gjallarhorn's "All Songs +3", that'd be an extra 3% to Scherzo right there. Think a Max String build atm is about 767 combined skill, while a Max Wind build could probably reach up to like... 776~ish? Hmmmm, would have to take out 5 skill for AF3+2 Feet, so about 771~ skill? This is taking into effect Gjallarhorn and Daurdabla's 40 skill from the instruments themselves too. So Gjallarhorn should be able to just hit the next tier of Scherzo (10 skill means a new tier) from base combined skill alone, and could potentially hit 46% DT.
 Bismarck.Faelar
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2011-06-21 10:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:

I love dual-wielding my Mythic Carnwenhans too! I thought I was the only one~
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-21 10:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You're assuming that skill is a factor past 600. I've not seen any proof to support that theory.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-21 10:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're that sure that 34% isn't the cap then go do some tests and provide the results. (SS or Video will do)
By Creecreelo 2011-06-21 10:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Provide the proof then. I've never seen you posting after me, ever.

There was an extensive thread on BG about this and they deduced the cap was 34%. Please provide any evidence you have on the contrary.

Then you don't keep track of threads you've posted in. <.<

And that thread Kirschy started I believe when Scherzo was INTRODUCED and hasn't been updated/posted in a long while.

When I first sought after a cap for Scherzo I looked into that thread myself, and I reposted my little test up above just now. I did not test exact tiers, because it's just 10 skill/per tier and my tier lined up perfectly with Kirshy's tiers. I just wanted to test my current max.

So stop talkin outta your arse!
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-21 11:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Then provide evidence to prove your theory.

I'll be more than happy to say you're correct if you actually provide hard evidence over anecdotal evidence.

Ballad increases fast cast, I'm not going to provide proof but please believe me.
By Creecreelo 2011-06-21 11:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Here, this came to my mind if ya want a SS.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/104506-Neo-Dynamis-Changes/page49

Tachi posted how EA/Scherzo stack and they could reach 83% together.

EA is a flat 45% DT.

Whoever was casting Scherzo definitely didn't have a Gjallarhorn/Daurdabla (Would explain the 4% difference due to lack of 40 skill) but still had enough to reach 38% DT.

Derpy derpy.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-06-21 11:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:

I'll test it once I get home. But I recall all kinds of bitching from blms and while the rings aren't exactly the same they should be very closely related as the only real difference is the glitching with convert gear.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-21 11:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

See, that's all you had to provide instead of being an insatiable ***.

Simply posting that evidence initially would have ended the discussion there.

You always need proof.

edit: I still don't really believe it, far more testing has to be done.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-21 11:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:

I'll test it once I get home. But I recall all kinds of bitching from blms and while the rings aren't exactly the same they should be very closely related as the only real difference is the glitching with convert gear.

I remember vaguely hearing the BLM rings didn't work, but I've had no issue with the BRD rings.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-06-21 11:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:

I remember vaguely hearing the BLM rings didn't work, but I've had no issue with the BRD rings.
Blm ring is far easier to test and no amount of lag will skew the results. You'll always get the right results provided you don't flip gear, resist or nuke on day or strong to day.

With brd it's cast time, now granted it's a lot of cast time so it should be easy to see, you've got to be sure that none of your other gear, atmas or other variables are going to cause any issues.

I'd like it to work but I'm going to have to see it for myself to believe that it works because my last series of tests failed to provide any fastcast bonus until I was in my normal latent hp range.