State Of The Game?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Leviathan » state of the game?
state of the game?
 Leviathan.Blevien
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Blev
By Leviathan.Blevien 2011-06-16 09:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

sup guys, considering coming back to the game but not sure how hard it'll be to catch up. haven't played in a year and probably won't bother if i can't get in touch with any old friends.

so anyways, what's the game like now? do people still do the old content or is it basically just everybody spamming abyssea? and if any of my old Levi buddies actually read this, who all still plays?
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-17 13:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Game is very very easy. Any of the relevant gear can be obtained with 3 people. People still do old content although most of it can be soloed or extremely low manned.

Limbus - All of it completely trioable or, in most cases, duoed/soloed.
Salvage- Completely full cleared with 3 people, every zone.

The list goes on. A good 80% of content that people do is Abyssea. Every LS and mostly every individual spends a large majority of their time in Abyssea. It's extremely easy to get back into things but it might take you a little because if you never have been inside you will have to get stones. I would try to find a group first that can help you out if you don't already have one. They can farm time for you and once you build up 120 can start farming the stone key items for extra stones/time per stone. Can level a job from 30-90 in 5 to 8 hours.

The game has gotten a lot more cutthroat, people are very greedy and to the point if your mob goes yellow at all due to a charm or mishap or what have you, you will have 5 vultures waiting nearby to claim it off you the instant it goes white. Not trying to be negative but that is the truth. Keep a watchful eye out for people, Abyssea has pretty much made the community worse in that aspect. Never let a mob go white, don't trust people unless you are friends with them or use your judgment, don't get involved in any shout groups that try to exploit people (locking items just because they started the shout). Etc.
[+]
 Bismarck.Recaldy
Server: Bismarck
user: Recaldy
By Bismarck.Recaldy 2011-06-17 13:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Much easier to get and/or make gil. Leveling crafting is cheaper also, some materials are cheaper now versus others. All of WotG and most of ToaU is empty with the exception of salvage and LSes that do Einherjar. As the person said above, it's all Abyssea and pretty competitive to use a lesser term.
 Leviathan.Blevien
By Leviathan.Blevien 2011-06-18 07:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks for the info guys. now i just gotta figure out if any of my old friends still play
 Bahamut.Vagrua
Server: Bahamut
user: Vagrua
By Bahamut.Vagrua 2011-06-18 08:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:

The game has gotten a lot more cutthroat, people are very greedy and to the point if your mob goes yellow at all due to a charm or mishap or what have you, you will have 5 vultures waiting nearby to claim it off you the instant it goes white. Not trying to be negative but that is the truth. Keep a watchful eye out for people, Abyssea has pretty much made the community worse in that aspect. Never let a mob go white, don't trust people unless you are friends with them or use your judgment, don't get involved in any shout groups that try to exploit people (locking items just because they started the shout). Etc.

I actually try to respect this some as in once the mob is idle in yellow with their group completely wiped, then it's okay considering they have lost all procs and failed entirely. People that try to claim yellow mobs that still have parties/alliances fighting it is something I frown upon.

The rest of the posts here pretty much sum up the game nowadays. You can accomplish much more now solo, but only to an extent. You will still need a solid group of 3+ to get most gear/items you need/want and as said, competition can be horrid inside Abyssea. It all depends on the times you play and your luck (if you actually believe in that sort of thing).
 Leviathan.Blevien
By Leviathan.Blevien 2011-06-18 16:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

caved in and decided to reinstall ffxi.......cya online, if i can remember how to move my toon lol
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-06-18 16:16:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Blevien said:
toon
[+]
 Shiva.Msthief
Server: Shiva
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-06-18 16:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to respond to Draylo's post. Yes, I can do anything with three people as well (although pantokrator got interesting) - but thinking some random 75-80 can come back and trio their way to greatness is misleading. It's going to take you at least a month to readjust yourself to the game, collecting atmas, zone wins, some random collection of +1 and +2. Then you can do anything with three people.

Unless you already have one friend that's emp and +2'd out, that would cut your time to less than half if he sticks around with you guys.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-06-18 16:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Msthief said:
I have to respond to Draylo's post. Yes, I can do anything with three people as well a bunch of other stuff

Guy asked whats the game like. Draylo told him exactly what its like. No where did he say anything about what you said. Every time you post its like you are trying to boast about what you do.

Sidenote you dont need empy's or +2 gear to be good in this
 Leviathan.Blevien
By Leviathan.Blevien 2011-06-18 16:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Leviathan.Blevien said:
toon

<3 u too pumpkin
 Shiva.Msthief
Server: Shiva
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-06-18 16:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

A couple of people stated exactly what I said about three people, I think they are misleading. It felt like everyone was saying "get three people on and go" - but it requires certain people play specific jobs and against some higher-level mobs that they don't screw up.

That statement was simply an inb4 "you suck". I've been there, coming back from 80 cap to 90. Well, I was 85 but I quit after leveling some of my jobs. I know what it's like to be at that stage and I also know the EXACT difference between fighting the NM tiger Yaguarogui in uly with no +2 gear with little experience at 90 and doing it with full +2 and emp (Just an example). There is a significant difference although it's possible both ways.

My inference may have been incorrect, maybe nobody else read those posts like "all you need is three people and you can do anything" - but hey, another opinion. At least my inference wasn't an insult.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-06-18 16:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:

The game has gotten a lot more cutthroat, people are very greedy and to the point if your mob goes yellow at all due to a charm or mishap or what have you, you will have 5 vultures waiting nearby to claim it off you the instant it goes white.

because people respected each other's fafs/nids/kbs/etc back in the day?

Leviathan.Draylo said:
don't get involved in any shout groups that try to exploit people (locking items just because they started the shout).

if someone is locking items but it's an atma like RR/MM/GH etc, go for it, it may be a *** move on their part but it honestly benefits you
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-06-18 16:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

i do agree that the OMG GAME IS SO EASY mantra is a little overused here, and does tend to give people that don't play anymore the impression that they could come back and automatically be god

tbh, i'm sure i'll get lolled at for saying it but it's the truth, the game isn't as easy for most of us as a lot of people pretend

you get thornnys and ninians and nights and tigers saying that the game is easy because they're exceptionally good and have exceptionally good lowman groups, and then the bottom 90% parrots them to sound cool, until you get to the point that people like catniptheif claim that emps are easy and ask for help farming kis for a sobek literally in the same post

2-3 unexceptional players can handle quite a bit, but there's also a lot of stuff that's going to wipe them
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-06-18 16:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Blevien said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Leviathan.Blevien said:
toon

<3 u too pumpkin
lol
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-06-18 16:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

curebot mule = win the game

super hard
 Leviathan.Maphis
user: Maphis
By Leviathan.Maphis 2011-06-18 17:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

ic you have nin and mnk lvled.. should be pretty easy to get back into the swing of things.. as mnk and nin are all ppl care about anymore
 Leviathan.Blevien
By Leviathan.Blevien 2011-06-18 17:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

no need to argue guys. i got the basic idea of what you were all saying. i like the idea of not needing 18+ people to do everything, especially since it no longer limits endgame to the endgame shells. already made up my mind though, just waiting on my FFXI download to finish so i can start installing a year worth of updates......
 Bahamut.Echojin
user: echojin
By Bahamut.Echojin 2011-06-18 17:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

try doing voidwatch with 3 people...
 Leviathan.Blevien
By Leviathan.Blevien 2011-06-18 17:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

i think my first goal will be to get my 75-80 jobs to lvl 90. i'll figure out what to do after that. thanks for the help everybody.
 Bahamut.Echojin
user: echojin
By Bahamut.Echojin 2011-06-18 17:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Blevien said:
i think my first goal will be to get my 75-80 jobs to lvl 90. i'll figure out what to do after that. thanks for the help everybody.

you're ahead of most of the people coming out of aby pts just because you already have lvl 75 jobs. Unfortunately most aby parties are people who just leveled their job from 30 and so their skills/gear are lacking.
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-18 17:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
i do agree that the OMG GAME IS SO EASY mantra is a little overused here, and does tend to give people that don't play anymore the impression that they could come back and automatically be god

tbh, i'm sure i'll get lolled at for saying it but it's the truth, the game isn't as easy for most of us as a lot of people pretend

you get thornnys and ninians and nights and tigers saying that the game is easy because they're exceptionally good and have exceptionally good lowman groups, and then the bottom 90% parrots them to sound cool, until you get to the point that people like catniptheif claim that emps are easy and ask for help farming kis for a sobek literally in the same post

2-3 unexceptional players can handle quite a bit, but there's also a lot of stuff that's going to wipe them

I hope you aren't suggesting that I am parroting them. I have low manned almost everything in Abyssea with three people. It does *not* take "highly exceptional" people to do them. I have seen plenty of shout groups with pink power rangers take down some of the "high end" NMs with 3~4 people. It really isn't difficult at all and that isn't parroting people when the greater majority of the game agrees. I three box a lot of crap all the time, if I can play three characters at once and kill these Nms without breaking a sweat, then I am almost positive three real people can handle it.

Quote:
because people respected each other's fafs/nids/kbs/etc back in the day?

The entire game didn't consist of HNM. I never did HNM since I came to this server almost 4 years or whatever, ago. Not everyone was packed into 9 zones at a time. There were many many things to do, now there is pretty much only Abyssea. You will see a ***ton of people doing the same exact thing you are doing, compared to the older days where it was more varied. People have become more cutthroat when forced to play around the same people.