Sea Obi Useless For Helix?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » Sea Obi useless for Helix?
Sea Obi useless for Helix?
 Cerberus.Tidalecko
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Tidalecko
By Cerberus.Tidalecko 2011-06-06 12:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I've sworn by elemental Obi's for SCH ever since I got the job to 75 before abyssea. I have Air Ice and Lightning and get use out of Aero5, Blizz4 and Thunder4 quite regularly. I couple the obis with a twilight cape for maximum efficiency and put m.a.b and INT everywhere else. I also have enough organs for Fire obi so I'll get that when maintenance is over. Plan on getting Light Obi after fire.

However, looking at the Helix wiki page I notice Helixes always get day/weather bonus anyways. Should I only use Obi's for nukes, and macro in INT or M.a.b for Helix's?

I looked at a few threads but they were moreso SCH vs BLM which is not my concern. I have both at 90 and I enjoy both jobs, I don't care to compare them. Just want to get the most use out of SCH, which is a very fun job :)
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-06-06 12:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:
Because Helices have such LOW base modifiers (Around the same as Tier 1 nukes) stacking INT will always produce better numbers than any other % Modifier like MAB, Magic Attack, or Day/Weather effects.
If Magic Accuracy is not an issue, Kirin's Pole may outperform Aquilo's staff.

For general purpose, Cryohelix is going to outdamage the others - but remember that some NMs tend to resist certain elements. Cryohelix isn't going to work on an Iron Giant very well for example!

Pretty much this~

INT> any other mod for Helixes
 Cerberus.Tidalecko
By Cerberus.Tidalecko 2011-06-06 12:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like my question needs to be split up into abyssea vs. non-abyssea areas too, becuase of how easy it is to "stack INT" in abyssea.

With Beyond/Miniken/Merciless Matriarch I can land 525 helixes on any day, and on iceday can land 620+ helix. Miniken gives 50 INT and add that to cruor buffs. I've always assumed because of the buffs/atmas INT had a dimishing return in abyssea.

Outside of abyssea seems like where stacking more INT would best benefit SCH.

I'm just trying to make sure I understand the mechanics behind this.
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-06-06 12:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I am not a numbers girl but I built my sch outside of Abyssea so OUTSIDE of abyssea INT > all other stats.
By Inuyasha 2011-06-06 12:47:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidalecko said:
I've sworn by elemental Obi's for SCH ever since I got the job to 75 before abyssea. I have Air Ice and Lightning and get use out of Aero5, Blizz4 and Thunder4 quite regularly. I couple the obis with a twilight cape for maximum efficiency and put m.a.b and INT everywhere else. I also have enough organs for Fire obi so I'll get that when maintenance is over. Plan on getting Light Obi after fire. However, looking at the Helix wiki page I notice Helixes always get day/weather bonus anyways. Should I only use Obi's for nukes, and macro in INT or M.a.b for Helix's? I looked at a few threads but they were moreso SCH vs BLM which is not my concern. I have both at 90 and I enjoy both jobs, I don't care to compare them. Just want to get the most use out of SCH, which is a very fun job :)
I use all 8 Obi's + Twilight Cape during Helix just to boost the weather bonuses....Normally in aby i use Beyond+Minikin+Ultimate using enhanced ebullience from hat and 5/5 Helix merits...and get like 500~600ish Helixes depending on day/resists and such....Then Modus Veritas for that super poison effect

so yea...i think its rather good to use the obi's + Twilight cape...but i use Ele skill+ gear when i do helixes...cause i dont like resists on my Helixes...

outside aby: yea...same thing...but more INT/MAB focus on resistant mobs
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-06 12:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

INT has diminishing returns everywhere, not just Abyssea. But yes, if they're automatically getting the day/weather bonus an Obi is useless for Helices.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-06 12:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I use all 8 Obi's + Twilight Cape during Helix just to boost the weather bonuses
Obis don't boost the bonus from weather, they just force the bonus to proc. Twilight Cape is different though.
[+]
By Inuyasha 2011-06-06 12:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
I use all 8 Obi's + Twilight Cape during Helix just to boost the weather bonuses
Obis don't boost the bonus from weather, they just force the bonus to proc. Twilight Cape is different though.
ok :X spells also always get day bonus right?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-06 12:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Inuyasha said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
ok :X spells also always get day bonus right?
Non-helix spells only have a ~1/3 chance of getting the bonus if you're not using an obi.
 Cerberus.Tidalecko
By Cerberus.Tidalecko 2011-06-06 13:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

So for example if it's Windsday in abyssea:

Twilight Cape + Furin Obi (with Windstorm) for Aero 5

Searing Cape/Twilight Cape + Cognition Belt/Searing Sash(+0-7 INT, +0-8 m.a.b) for Anemohelix

----- outside of abyssea:

Twilight Cape + Furin Obi for Aero 5

Potentia Cape + Cognition Belt(+13 INT) for Anemohelix

Just trying to figure out the most effective ways of handling different situations to make sure I understand how this works.

edit: cognition belt
 Fenrir.Leoheart
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-06-06 13:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cognizant belt is MND + 7, sure you don't mean Cognition?
 Cerberus.Tidalecko
By Cerberus.Tidalecko 2011-06-06 13:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Leoheart said:
Cognizant belt is MND + 7, sure you don't mean Cognition?
Yeah^^ thanks
 Phoenix.Eckeward
Server: Phoenix
user: eckeward
By Phoenix.Eckeward 2011-06-07 12:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:

I thought this was a good point that kinda got missed.
Helices always get the boost from weather but, I'm not sure if the Twilight cape will give it's 5% boost to a helix matching the weather(but not day) unless you're wearing an obi. Nightfyre seems to think it does, but I guess it'll need testing. But then you have to consider you're losing 2 equipment slots that I could easily get INT+13 from.

And yes, INT has a big effect on helices. Just looking at "Calculating Magic Damage" I noticed that helices have a low base damage, the same as Aero 1 (initial damage). So basically all the damage for the spell comes from dINT(Caster's INT - Target's INT). Because the base damage of the spell is so low, M.A.B. doesn't have such a big effect, at least not compared to INT.

Also according to that page, INT has diminishing returns and can cap.... I guess the best advice is test it.