/nin Or /dnc? What And Why?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » /nin or /dnc? What and why?
/nin or /dnc? What and why?
 Bahamut.Zoltar
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-05-25 07:56:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm observing a lot more BSTs using /dnc so I wanted to see what sj you use and why. I've been /nin forever since no /dnc sj leveled. I use shadows mostly when pulling something or between a weaponskill and Snarl.

The main thing I could see /dnc useful for is Violent Flourish. Is VF + Healing Waltz + Drain Samba > Utsusemi?
 Fenrir.Omgwtftaru
Server: Fenrir
user: kivyin
By Fenrir.Omgwtftaru 2011-05-25 10:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Situational.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-05-25 14:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I see no real need for /whm currently, even outside abyssea. All subs are leveled except /dnc. Hoping that'll change by tonight/tomorrow
 Siren.Skywarp
Server: Siren
By Siren.Skywarp 2011-05-25 14:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

if your doing it right . you realize that you as a BST the pet is the tank and you are the help. and all you need is the ability to help the monster kill it without drawing argo. so for all purposes you can sub anything.

wit hall 3 magor subs WHM,NIN,DNC 2 offer dual wield. all 3 offer s/i. 2 offer erase. 2 offer haste. you can bounce it back and forthe over a long period of time. and it weill never be a finished debait. ive subbed all 3. older bsts sware by whm and nin. newer bsts sware by /dnc. its all about waht you can use best. depending on what you wich to sub.

ill stick with whm and ninja. i like to teleport myself and reraise.
By blowfin 2011-05-25 15:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
older bsts sware by whm and nin. newer bsts sware by /dnc.

Not really, most people are more realistic than that and choose a sub based on the situation. It`s generally out of stubbornness or lack of use that people are not aware of the utility of DNC. I actually put it aside for a while and was nicely surprised when I started using it again.

Also just wanted to add that /RDM is superior in just about every way over /WHM now. You can get by easily with Regen and Cure III, can pack phalanx, stoneskin and refresh, and also have an extra 24MAB for Rend or Cloudsplitter. By 99 the utility of RDM as a sub is only going to increase.

Subbing WHM for me was forced (back when DNC didn`t exist) and only really used as an EXP tool. NIN and DNC are by far superior as you get into later levels. Both will increase your damage output significantly and DNC is excellent if you need to be offsetting damage, but you do sacrifice some damage as opposed to NIN.

Quote:
The main thing I could see /dnc useful for is Violent Flourish. Is VF + Healing Waltz + Drain Samba > Utsusemi?

Depends, at 90 my main Samba is Haste and I rarely have the need to use Flourish or Steps on anything i`m subbing DNC for. Apart from that I mostly use Healing and Curing Waltz.

While you`re leveling up Flourish can be quite useful to drag hate off charmed pets though.
[+]
By Xilk 2011-06-07 02:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure how dd on /nin lands compared to /dnc.

/nin you have 5% better dual wield. /dnc you get 5% haste, but its ja and timer Dependant.
/nin you take less damage, usually (AoE's are the exception, but bst shouldn't be main target anyway)
/dnc you interrupt more for JA's

When I try to put out the damage on /dnc I keep haste samba up and I am also using boxstep quite regularly. The def- is a nice boost to both me and my pet, but how does that compare to uninterrupted melee from /nin? I dont' know. it depends on how well you can keep shadows up and hate on pet (probably not too hard on that side) compared to keeping haste samba up and balancing out the steps/sambas/flourishes.

I can't definitely say that /nin beats /dnc for dd. Like everyone says, its situational. In abyssea, I want /nin for yellow triggers if thats what I need, or /dnc if not. In Dynamis, /dnc for ja procs, or /nin for magic procs.

I prefer /dnc for the flexibility, even if timing all the ja's can be a bit challenging. having a quick stun on a 30s recast is perfect for those tier3/4 -aga's that are so common now, and bst we ill equipped to deal w/ before.
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
Server: Bismarck
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-06-07 02:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends on what I'm doing. BLU/NIN for Sanguine Blade tanking (it works!) BLU/DNC for just fun (Animating Wail + Haste Samba, and both spells and JA for erase, you can't keep the fker down!)
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-07 03:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyaaadaa said:
It depends on what I'm doing. BLU/NIN for Sanguine Blade tanking (it works!) BLU/DNC for just fun (Animating Wail + Haste Samba, and both spells and JA for erase, you can't keep the fker down!)
This is about BST, not BLU.
[+]
 Asura.Krebons
Server: Asura
user: Krebons
By Asura.Krebons 2011-06-07 03:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Being a career Bst, it is very situational at best. I can say, I have not /whm /rdm since 75 cap. I normally /nin, sneak and invis seem to last longer, and I <3 shadows absorbing AoE. I do /dnc in dynamis, which again, situational. To be honest, I'm lazy and usually let the pet do all the work in the first place, because I am geared for my pet, not to DD.

It's all on how you want to play it.

(Heck, I've seen quite a few bst's rocking Twilight knife main and off.. (I main it in dynamis for procing purposes, seeing as I duo with a thf) But who knows why)
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-07 03:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Krebons said:
Being a career Bst, it is very situational at best. I can say, I have not /whm /rdm since 75 cap. I normally /nin, sneak and invis seem to last longer, and I <3 shadows absorbing AoE. I do /dnc in dynamis, which again, situational. To be honest, I'm lazy and usually let the pet do all the work in the first place, because I am geared for my pet, not to DD.

(Heck, I've seen quite a few bst's rocking Twilight knife main and off.. (I main it in dynamis for procing purposes, seeing as I duo with a thf) But who knows why)
Invisible seems to last longer because it's a set time, whereas the ones from other sources is random duration.
 Asura.Krebons
Server: Asura
user: Krebons
By Asura.Krebons 2011-06-07 03:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said:
Asura.Krebons said:

Invisible seems to last longer because it's a set time, whereas the ones from other sources is random duration.

Yea, Jig is random as crap. 100x better DNC main lol >.>;
 Bahamut.Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-06-07 07:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Been using /dnc the last week or so, useful for steps/flourish and occ. waltz 3. I like it for removing status effects too.

The only thing I'm not used to is interrupting my tp > ws > snarl phase with an occ. waltz3. Sometimes I pull more hate than my pet
 Phoenix.Teguri
Server: Phoenix
user: Talran
By Phoenix.Teguri 2011-06-07 07:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Krebons said:

Pet's will do most of the work no matter how good you are (unless you're charming EP x3). But I prefer /DNC over /NIN because I have healing options for when I do pull hate with Ramp. Also, stunning spells, and Box step. :3

Might just be me though, I jumped ship all the way when DNC got it's own Dual wield.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-07 08:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shits situational. Should have all sub jobs for BST, you'll never know what you might need. Sometimes I even use /SCH if the need arises. Sublimation is great, it has all the same spells as WHM with less reliance on MP, as well as Dispel and whatnot if needed. Technically, you may even be able to land a sleep with Dark Arts + Pluto's Staff, even moreso in Abyssea. (Not that you very often need CC, and there's always Sheep Song for that.)

Plus, /SCH + Sandstorm + Desert Boots = Movement Speed w/o Atma (Again, super situational, I almost never find a need for any of the above)

Personally, I mostly use /NIN, and /DNC if I don't mind losing out on a DW tier and know I'm not going to be taking damage. Or if the damage will be going through shadows. IE aoe