Yama's Staff
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-05-16 06:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

A few questions concerning this piece:

1: MAB or MAcc? I am 99.9% sure I'm going Magic Accuracy, I just need to hear someone else say it. :3
2: Concerning the paths of "X number of kills on mobs with Darkness status effect", does Sleep count or not since it wears as the mob takes damage?

Inputs?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-05-16 06:23:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If I were to do a Yama's, pretty sure I'd do the DMG one.
As it's affinity, and not mab, it helps drain/aspir aswell, and fun epeen-numbers with impact!
Also, chances are, as Impact is dark based, that Meteor will be aswell.
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-05-16 06:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
fun epeen-numbers with impact!
Also, chances are, as Impact is dark based, that Meteor will be aswell.
Dunno, seems like the only mobs that get Meteor is Behemoths, and they're Thunder based, or Carby's Meteorite, which is Light.
Not to mention I don't use Impact... 666 MP for a nuke that does less than my Tier V's just isn't too cool.

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
If I were to do a Yama's, pretty sure I'd do the DMG one.
As it's affinity, and not MAB, it helps drain/aspir as well
That I haven't seen, HQ staves bring a huge chunk of Macc with them. Thanks for inputs though, stuff to think about.

Any others?
By Nandaryu 2011-05-16 07:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I have done both. I left the accuracy at +1 so I can use damage one with -12% casting until SE makes +3 staff. Sleep does not work. Blind and bio work well for the accuracy. Damage staff takes patience, SMN works best with Diablos. SCH or BlM w/drain work as well, specially in ABY w/atma of the cosmos.
Server: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2011-05-16 07:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Magic Affinity one, accuracy could if needed be replaced with other equipment, nothing else gives you a straight 30% increase in damage.
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-05-16 07:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Nandaryu said:
I have done both. I left the accuracy at +1 so I can use damage one with -12% casting until SE makes +3 staff.
So does this mean that the Accuracy works better for Drain and Aspir? (It seems to be the case for me, the more dark magic skill and magic accuracy I stack, the better numbers I see)
Titan.Darkestknight said:
Magic Affinity one, accuracy could if needed be replaced with other equipment, nothing else gives you a straight 30% increase in damage.
Currently the only spell that you'd really notice a difference in damage would be Impact as Drain is seemingly not affected by MAB. I don't cast Impact because its incredibly impractical for its current MP cost. (I don't sub SCH to use Parsimony)

EDIT: on a minor note, BOTH staves are all about "Affinity" its a matter of MAB vs Macc.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-05-16 08:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyaaadaa said:
Nandaryu said:
I have done both. I left the accuracy at +1 so I can use damage one with -12% casting until SE makes +3 staff.
So does this mean that the Accuracy works better for Drain and Aspir? (It seems to be the case for me, the more dark magic skill and magic accuracy I stack, the better numbers I see)
Currently the only spell that you'd really notice a difference in damage would be Impact as Drain is seemingly not affected by MAB. I don't cast Impact because its incredibly impractical for its current MP cost. (I don't sub SCH to use Parsimony)

EDIT: on a minor note, BOTH staves are all about "Affinity" its a matter of MAB vs Macc.

These staffs arent MAB, it's Affinity, totally different stat.

Dark magic skill and affinity is all that affects the potency of drain/aspir I think.
Macc helps it land, but it does not make it stronger.
Only reason I'd want macc staff would be for sleeps, but I have pluto or alkalurops for macc, which is enough.
Server: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2011-05-16 08:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyaaadaa said:
Nandaryu said:

Affinity: Damage is superior to MAB. Works outside of it always adding 30% onto spells including Drain/Aspir.
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-05-16 08:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
These staffs arent MAB, it's Affinity, totally different stat.
This is more of what I was looking for. Thanks.
By Nandaryu 2011-05-16 08:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Yama's staff +2 (5 magic damage affinity) for aspirs, bios, drain, and impact(for fun and NMs). I use Yama's staff +1 (5 magic accuracy affinity) for blinds and sleeps. I will test out what max aspir/drain I get from both the staffs to give you a better example.

Best use of impact is to kill charm ppl in your ls outside of ABY. Debuffs do not wear after being raised.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-05-16 20:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Nandaryu said:
Best use of impact is to kill charm ppl in your ls outside of ABY. Debuffs do not wear after being raised.
That's so cruel!
I mean cool! I know I'm a huge fan of doing that when I'm fighting Cirien-Croin. Since I usually have hate, all the charmed people go for me. Bind and gravity whoever was unlucky enough to come at me and nuke 'em down. Served 'em right for not turning when Mayhem Lantern was used :3
Nandaryu said:
I use Yama's staff +2 (5 magic damage affinity) for aspirs, bios, drain, and impact(for fun and NMs). I use Yama's staff +1 (5 magic accuracy affinity) for blinds and sleeps.
Not sure if I'll make two staves but I might. Still working plenty of other trial weapons. A dark staff just happened to be the next in line for spells I cast the most. Already have Agni's, Varuna's, and Indra's +2's. I think either a Viruna's +1 accuracy or a wind accuracy is after Yama's.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2011-05-17 00:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what I went for, although I'm still working on the staff. I figure the extra potency in the long run would out-weigh the times I may get (partial or otherwise) resists by doing dmg over acc. I'm mostly interested in the increased casting speed... otherwise I'd be lazy and just stick with pluto's.

That and I think it'll be fun to play around with using cataclysm. (Still gotta unlock it though, and I'd either have to /whm, or just go on whm main but w/e).