Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » VS weapon question
VS weapon question
 Bismarck.Moonlightespada
MSPaint Winner
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Moonlightespada 2011-05-04 15:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

been working on the trials for the Victory smite weapons and was wondering the dmg difference between rev. Fists+2 and verth. I work alot and probaly won't have the time for the abyss nms for verth path so I wanted to see if the fists+2 was worth it or if I should slowly work on verth.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-05-04 15:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

verethragna are better than revenant fists, but are also intended to be "harder" to get, when fact of the matter is that walk of echoes is enough of a nightmare to the point where i'd say revenant fists are more difficult to obtain than level eighty-five stage verethragna

that aside though, i mean really, as far as damage difference goes, look at them; you're answering your own question, honestly
 Bahamut.Xslayrx
Server: Bahamut
user: Xslayrx
By Bahamut.Xslayrx 2011-05-04 15:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Took about the same amount of time for my friend to finish WoE Smite as it did to finish 85 verethragna. WoE can be a lot faster if you get lucky, but if not it can be more annoying than the empyrean path.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-05-04 15:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Based purely on luck. I got my coins in a single weekend.

If you have friends that are willing to help you farming chloris, go for Vere. If you don't and your play time is severely limited, do Rev+2. Rev+2 you can actually accomplish by yourself, Vere not so much.

I guess you could put together shout groups for Chloris, but I'd imagine you won't get many bites.
 Diabolos.Kiddo
Server: Diabolos
user: BKiddo
By Diabolos.Kiddo 2011-05-04 15:47:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm in the same boat as you OP. a little farther along however.

I decided since work, and RL *** bog me down fairly well in-game, I'd just go for Rev. fists. I'll tell you I average 4-5 hours a night on the weekdays, & about 12 hours a day on weekends. Of that time, I've spent 100% of the last 2 weeks in WoE. I've mostly solo'd (leeched a few runs as well, out of sheer boredom) & now I'm at 20/30 coins of advancement. I can tell you this path is extremely boring & soul-crushing. It seems everyone & thier dog wants adv. so lotting can be an issue. (not talking about leech runs) but on the good side you can make a number 2-3 ranked weapon in a little over 3 weeks of hell.

I can't speak to how difficult it is to go after Vere. as I haven't really tried. but a cool thing about magian trials is once I finish reve. fists a guy can always go back & start working vere. with a badass weaponskill.

just my 2 cents, as my job eats a lot of time, & 2 kids eat most of the rest.
[+]
 Bismarck.Moonlightespada
MSPaint Winner
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Moonlightespada 2011-05-04 15:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Based purely on luck. I got my coins in a single weekend.

If you have friends that are willing to help you farming chloris, go for Vere. If you don't and your play time is severely limited, do Rev+2. Rev+2 you can actually accomplish by yourself, Vere not so much.

I guess you could put together shout groups for Chloris, but I'd imagine you won't get many bites.

Might have more after Monday if chloris drops +2 items but knowing SE that will be the 1 mob that dosnt lol
 Unicorn.Kaomii
Server: Unicorn
user: Kaomii
By Unicorn.Kaomii 2011-05-04 21:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have two friends that play when you do with the right jobs and endless stones, you can knock out the level 80 Verethragna casually 3 pops at a time, and around an hour a session. You'd gather the key items from the NMs rather than farming gold boxes, and Chukwa is practically untouched in the afternoons/evenings.

Ulhuadshi for second stage is an entirely different nightmare. Although the key items are easier to obtain, compared to Tahrongi, Amun is basically camped around the clock (as bad, or worse, than Heqet is for the Masamune path). The congestion will vary by server, but casually completing 3 pops per session can take quite a bit longer if, say, a linkshell is farming Ulhuadshi pops and they need to get Amun's key item for 15 people before moving onto the NM itself.

I can't really comment on Dragua for the level 90 Verethragna items as I haven't spent an extensive amount of time killing it. The key item is significantly easier to get as it is a common item from giant gold boxes when you cap amber lights, and it comes from a time-spawn dragon that is usually left alone.

I chose to do the Revenant Fists +2 because Monk is more of a second-rate job to me, and I had the coins from when my group did WoE. Conflux 5 had a much, much better drop rate on pouches, and we were able to complete the zone with 7 people. Then we'd spend the time waiting for the zone to reopen by doing the far easier conflux 2, which was also a popular zone for leeches.

I'd say the real benefit to choosing the WoE weapon is that once you have the coins, you can go from VNMs straight to the level 90 weapon. Of course, if you don't have a capable WoE group, acquiring the coins is a much more difficult feat than farming the NMs. It's also worth mentioning that, in the case you do have the coins on-hand, you can finish Revenant Fists +2 to satisfy the meantime, and start the trials over for Verethragna when your work schedule eases up.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2011-05-04 22:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i got lucky with WoE, kept winning pouches of adv. from full clears, finished them off in 3-4 days
did WoE because i wam workin on kannagi

already been stated but once u finish the coins the jump to 90 on WoE path is cake
 Phoenix.Angelinn
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Angelinn 2011-05-04 22:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The WoE weapons are still incredibly powerful - don't feel like you're gimp if you go after one. Rev. Fists+2 still beat anything other than Vere.

That said, other posters have already explained the difference. Depending on how much your server does WoE, it might actually take you longer to get Rev. Fists than it would to get Vere. Alternatively, if you get lucky in WoE you can finish your 30 coins in a matter of hours.
 Fenrir.Kut
user: Kutsurabi
By Fenrir.Kut 2011-05-04 22:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Just going to post another useless I agree with the above posters post. I went through and got my Revenants in 3 days, on the third day I got 3 Advancement pouches in one #02 run taking me from 13 coins to 36. Honestly, if you find the times your server does not have many people there, you could take 4-5 others into room 2 and probably finish several weapons in a day assuming no one else is around to leech lots/compete for the top 5 chests, when I did mine, not many people did WoE until the Japanese started logging in. Now, it may be different, and on other servers it may change too. I did mine solo, buying food for room 2 and using many reraise earrings, just took luck and staying up during Japanese hours.

My Verethragna, worked on at the same time as an Ukonvasara (with a small group of about the same size, mostly less) took about a month and a half, working around 2-4 hours a couple times a week on Chloris/Glavoid and I finished my fangs in 3 days through shout parties offering +2 items, Eradico Mitts, and the Kaiten GKT.

Either way, you will love your damage, going with Revenants is not a bad choice at all. It's a great weapon.

And just to give you a sense of how those two weapons fair, I made you a funny diagramish thing.

Inside Abyssea: Verethragna > Revenant > Spharai (90) > Taurine > Fire Tapian?
Outside Abyssea: Verethragna > Spharai (90) > Revenant > Taurine > Fire Tapian?

Revenant still beats the next closest weapon by a long shot (not including Spharai).

So, if you're absolutely solo and not an amazing PUP or NIN with lots of time, go with Rev over Vere. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time and luck between the two. You won't be disappointed with Rev.
 Sylph.Brysky
Server: Sylph
user: brysky
By Sylph.Brysky 2011-05-21 16:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Inside Abyssea: Verethragna > Revenant > Spharai (90) > Taurine > Fire Tapian?
Outside Abyssea: Spharai (90) > Verethragna >Revenant > Taurine > Fire Tapian?

Revenant still beats the next closest weapon by a long shot (not including Spharai).

Fixed - haven't met a verethragna monk that can match me in over all dps... +counter plays a very effective role in damage you are not thinking of. someone who is geared right and knows how to use spharai will destroy you.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-05-21 16:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I couldn't see spharai beating vereth outside Abyssea even disregarding impetus. I'd imagine it'd beat rev fists going off my head.
 Sylph.Brysky
user: brysky
By Sylph.Brysky 2011-05-21 16:46:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Just talking from experience, I have yet to have someone touch me on DPS. but there are a lot of variables, and KParser seems to be broken atm. I am sure in some parse one or tow or more might beat me but i have yet to see it.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-21 16:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
I couldn't see spharai beating vereth outside Abyssea even disregarding impetus. I'd imagine it'd beat rev fists going off my head.
Having seen both Spharai 90 and Verethragna 90 in action along with comparing them on paper, I agree with this. Even without Impetus Verethragna should beat Spharai handily outside Abyssea, and when you add in Impetus it's not even a fair contest. Revenant +2 vs Spharai would be a tough call with Impetus; previously Spharai were a bit ahead but Smite is incredibly powerful with Impetus up. Spharai is still the "safer" weapon though.
 Fenrir.Demomo
user: Skyline
By Fenrir.Demomo 2011-05-21 16:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Same as has been stated. If you have the friends/ability to grind out Vere, do it. If mnk isn't a primary use job for you, rev fists+2 can be faster to finish, but if you decide you wanted vere, doing the trials all over again can be a pain. Aggressiveness/playstyles being equal, 90 vere will always beat 90 spharai inside and out of abyssea.
 Lakshmi.Dobbykk
Server: Lakshmi
user: Dobbykk
By Lakshmi.Dobbykk 2011-05-21 17:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally went the Rev Fists+2 route, because I don't main MNK but I still like to play it. Of course Vere 85 will be better, but if you don't have the time, Victory Smite is still Victory Smite.

Just depends how you look at it I guess. I guess besides the point, Walk Of Echoes can be pretty fun if you go during JP time.
 Fenrir.Captaincrunch
By Fenrir.Captaincrunch 2011-05-21 20:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

honestly just do vere and never look back.
 Valefor.Jaypea
Server: Valefor
user: Rodders89
By Valefor.Jaypea 2011-05-25 07:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

We know this :P just no spharai monk will ever admit Vereth is better, admitting all that work and money has been wasted because of aby has got to hurt tho :x maybe there is hope for them with 99 cap upgrades!
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-05-25 08:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, I know a few on my server who know Vereth is better and one of them was top dog on my server for many many years. I'd still take him over a bandwagon Vereth mnk any day. Only way I'd pick a Vereth mnk over him is if I knew them and had pt'd w/ them personally and knew their ***was good.

Vereth is def the better weapon, but it's not auto win, either.
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-05-25 09:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

GD bandwagon vereth mnks :<.
 Valefor.Jaypea
Server: Valefor
user: Rodders89
By Valefor.Jaypea 2011-05-25 15:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said:
Indeed :/ I see more twilight belt Vereth monks walking around these days than anything else...speaking as someone who currently wants to kill himself with the luck i'm having on chloris! I have no idea how people manage to put all that effort and time into getting chloris done but can't get a black belt...
 Asura.Sangunius
Server: Asura
user: Sangunius
By Asura.Sangunius 2011-05-26 10:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Jaypea said:
Sylph.Krsone said:
Indeed :/ I see more twilight belt Vereth monks walking around these days than anything else...speaking as someone who currently wants to kill himself with the luck i'm having on chloris! I have no idea how people manage to put all that effort and time into getting chloris done but can't get a black belt...
^This, The best is the Aurore using 90 Vereth Monks on Asura. And no, it wasn't just town gear.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-05-27 21:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 80 Verethragna and only Brown Belt. :( But it isn't because I didn't try. Just shitty luck.
By Praeter 2011-05-31 08:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wanted to throw in my one cent to the topic. I decided to go the Rev. Fists route because of time and in game resources. I experienced great luck on day 2 joining a group on syrups and getting clear which included my own personal chest with a pouch of advancement.

Since the it's been a different story. One part bad luck on lots. Hey no biggie it happens! But with not many people doing WoE, at least on Siren, clears are rare. I play in the early AM so I have tried joining JP groups. Numerous times as soon as I enter they will just stop fighting. They won't respond to any /say or /tell to team up.

Some may consider going into a zone with another group is considered leeching. I guess if you are just standing there waiting for a clear. I have a Smn alt and I do my best to contribute whether it be sac pull, cure other people in zone, etc. I don't consider myself a leech by any means. I guess the JPs on Siren just hate us NA that much? I don't know.

I'm not disappointed with going this route, but after about 10 days and 14 coins, I thought it would be a bit smoother.