Blacklist Function For Ffxiah?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Blacklist function for ffxiah?
Blacklist function for ffxiah?
First Page 2
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-25 19:38:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I can't take the stupidity that dribbles from Deemos's computer.

Can you make it so there is a blacklist funtion or tab off/down for certain posters?

I know most of you guys will just tell me to ignore it, but you have to agree with me, Deemos's posts drip with so much stupidity that you just have to read it to lol at him...
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-25 19:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm for this. Even though I'd rather be able to read what a moron says then blacklist 'em.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-25 19:41:47
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Hear hear!
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-03-25 20:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm all for making people suffer... LoL... Seriously though, I HATE censorship of any kind. Nay to a blacklist feature... If you don't like drama don't start it. And if others start, be the bigger person and ignore it...
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-25 20:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Why ignore when you can simply click a button and have them removed from existence?
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-25 20:46:07
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I like letting people constantly send me hate mail/messages. I click the delete thing, they continue to have a false feeling of thinking it's getting to my head!
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-03-25 20:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Or how about a rating system for posts like the ones on pictures and pic comments? Once someone gets so many 'thumbs downs,' their post can be hidden. Then if someone wants to read the hidden post, they can click the little 'show' button.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-03-25 20:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

We've been over this, in a prior thread...

If people want to ignore the code of conduct, let the mods handle it. They can ban the person if need be...

Anything else is impermissible censorhip imo.
 Seraph.Darkvision
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Darkvision 2009-03-25 20:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

i wonder who has been /blist'd the most? lmao
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-25 20:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The only problem with that is mob mentality means that people rate stuff down either because of who's posting it or because everyone else has. This site would turn into one giant rate down war then; people seem to rate things down just because they can. I set comments on my profile to hidden because everyone was rating every comment, regardless of content, into negatives just because it was on my profile.

A similar feature that wouldn't involve ratings would be to have a blacklist as suggested. Instead of completely removing the posts, it makes them automatically hidden, like the comments on profiles, items, screenshots that go to -10 or below. That'd be a neat feature, and since people would manually have to add the names onto their blacklist, it wouldn't affect anyone who didn't want to use it. At the same time it would conveniently allow people to ignore specific idiot's posts by default.

People worried about censorship wouldn't even notice this taking effect because they'd choose not to put people on their blacklist. Those of us who don't like to read some of the filth that comes from some posters on here wouldn't have to put up with it just because some people don't want an ignore feature. With a blacklist that just hides people's posts rather than removing them, it'd mean you could always read what somebody is saying at or about you, regardless of having them on your blacklist or not; the difference is they'd conveniently be hidden by default in case you're not in the mood for somebody that session.
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-03-25 20:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, you are probably right. I didn't even think about the mob mentality of following others' examples like sheep. So that would be good then, to let people blist the ones they don't like, and then have a blisted person's posts show up as automatically hidden. Then if the person who blisted them wants to read it, they can, but they don't have to.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-25 21:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Precisely :)

Some people might like to read all the nonsense, but some people don't. Our opinions may differ, but this is ultimately a choice that should be given to the individual. It won't do anybody else any harm if I choose to minimise somebody's posts by default.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-03-25 21:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure the mods with everything else they're working on are going to be excited to hop on this... (SARCASM)

I can concede points made by Wooo, but we can always skip down a post as soon as we see the name. No one says we have to read it. Given that why do the mods have to create an automated process again?

If someone is really being a douche, contact a mod. Let them handle it.
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-25 21:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Just use a system similar to VBulletin ignore list. There's no pro or con for that, nobody is forced to use the ignore list. If you don't like the idea then just do not use that functionality.

/thread.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-25 21:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

That's very true, but you could say the same thing about real life. If somebody is berating you and generally irritating you, you can simply walk away and pretend they don't exist. It's a lot easier to walk away and move on from that individual than it is to stand there taking their barrage of abuse.

The same principal applies here. When we could simply minimise somebody and not even be tempted to read their post, it just won't be possible for their abuse to reach us.

I agree fully, that there should be an element of self control behind such a thing. You and I are both aware through our many "heated" debates that sometimes it's not that easy. For the times of personal weakness, throw in the blacklist to help keep things calm.
 Asura.Deemos
By Asura.Deemos 2009-03-25 21:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

NEW BLACKLIST FEATURE NOW AVAILABLE:

Top right corner of your screen, there is a Red and White X.

Like such.

User submitted image

You dont have to thank me^^

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-25 21:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I would blacklist you, Bart, because your avatar has me turning shades of green in fits of envy.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-25 21:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Chances of it happening = Nil

How so ? Shouldn't be hard to implement :<

Quote:
I would blacklist you, Bart, because your avatar has turning shades of green in fits of envy.

I already blisted all *.gif avatars :]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-25 21:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It shouldn't be too hard to add it in. Simply allow people to add names to the list, and when somebody posts just add a simple if in; if they're blacklisted, it minimises their posts.

In English: No problem!

I would like that Bart, but I'd need to add some pink sparkles in just so they were different, ya know?
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-25 21:39:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Well everything is here already, we have friends list (= can make ignore list on the same model), as for posts can re-use the comment minimize functionality (letting everyone having a [show] button on blisted posts so they can read a single post if they want to). Once again just like on VB (or others boards).

As for chance to happen, well no idea how much work have admins/devs, but shouldn't be that hard and it's a "basic functionality" that should be added in priority I think.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-25 22:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Blacklist function would be useful...I mean, there's like nobody on here that I personally feel the need to just completely block from my sight, but with some of the flame fests I've seen here lately I can definitely understand some people would like to have the ability lol
 Fairy.Raikan
Server: Fairy
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-03-25 22:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Our opinions may differ, but this is ultimately a choice that should be given to the individual. It won't do anybody else any harm if I choose to minimise somebody's posts by default.

The choice has already been made, we don't have the option. That being said:

Jaerik said:
We originally intended to give the ability to post anonymously to both the Japanese and English-speaking forums here on FFXIAH.com, but quickly discovered that English-speaking users had an overwhelmingly higher tendency to turn into complete douchebags when given the opportunity, so it's disabled on the English forums and likely to remain that way. Sorry. =)

Jaerik posted the above in the same thread that you yourself posted 9 different times in.

You have to admit that you post _a lot_. While I find myself skipping over some of your posts that seem long-winded (My apologies to you), I would rather skip over the ones I find of no interest instead of simply hiding your posts altogether.

There is also this list:

Scragg said:
Features to the forum will be added one-by-one.

Todo:

Automatic URL linking
Manual URL linking
Quoting
Make quote box look better
Add "Last edited on $date by $x" for each post

Post rating system!

Make user permissions apparent
Add a link to jump to last post for each forum/topic
Show highest crafts (maybe)
Show highest jobs levels (maybe)
Add PM button
Cleaner PM link
Remove the white background on sticky/locked icons
Make a key for each icon
Make the damn Edit Post text box larger
Add strike through tag
Post preview
Code Tag
Tag Reference
Allow moderators to move topics
Highlight unread threads

Who knows what they will incorporate along with the Post Rating System. Perhaps we'll get an ignore fuction then, perhaps not.

I have no doubt they are looking at some method of helping the forums out with the increased traffic flowing through here.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-26 03:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know.... Although I completely understand how some people's long-winded conversations/arguments can be extremely annoying, I'm still of the opinion that everyone's opinion should be acknowledged, if not respected.

Ignore lists.... I'm sure that would work better for some. Honestly, I just keep it in my own head, as I'm sure you all do, yourselves: You see someone's name on the lefthand box and immediately you prepare yourself for what follows, or you completely ignore it (only having to read 8 other people quote it in subsequent replies <.<;). I'm usually bored enough to read through them anyways, and, surprisingly, some people have had redeeming posts whereby they've actually said something decent, instead of "FSCK YOU, A$$HOLE" or something of the like.

*shrug* I wouldn't care either way, but if it mattered a lot to those who I've come to be familiar with on these forums, I'll cast my vote in for your sakes. :)
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-26 03:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Anye said:
I don't know.... Although I completely understand how some people's long-winded conversations/arguments can be extremely annoying, I'm still of the opinion that everyone's opinion should be acknowledged, if not respected.

Ignore lists.... I'm sure that would work better for some. Honestly, I just keep it in my own head, as I'm sure you all do, yourselves: You see someone's name on the lefthand box and immediately you prepare yourself for what follows, or you completely ignore it (only having to read 8 other people quote it in subsequent replies <.<;). I'm usually bored enough to read through them anyways, and, surprisingly, some people have had redeeming posts whereby they've actually said something decent, instead of "FSCK YOU, A$$HOLE" or something of the like.

*shrug* I wouldn't care either way, but if it mattered a lot to those who I've come to be familiar with on these forums, I'll cast my vote in for your sakes. :)

Unfortunally, for the few that spout the most utter nonsense, this would be the best solution for everyone.

Unless the admins finally ban that person.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-26 03:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Deemos said:

Like such.

[Big ugly cross that takes up half a page]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Deathcat/redcross.jpg

Where's my Red&White Cross?

On a slightly (like reaaaaaaally slightly >.>) more serious note, I'd be able to use a /blist feature at times, like the whole "Are Astral Burns wrong?!?!" thread >.>
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-26 04:10:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:
Deemos said:

Like such.

[Big ugly cross that takes up half a page]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Deathcat/redcross.jpg

Where's my Red&White Cross?

On a slightly (like reaaaaaaally slightly >.>) more serious note, I'd be able to use a /blist feature at times, like the whole "Are Astral Burns wrong?!?!" thread >.>

How come the noob's avatar is different in the SS than on here?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-26 04:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It is?

I might have a cached version of it then, doesn't normally happen, but it might have >.>
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-26 08:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Raikan said:
Jaerik said:
Add strike through tag

I lol'd, that's right up there with make to-do list

Also, I'm against black-list function, because I don't want Bart to black-list me ; ;

But seriously, how many tl;dr posts have you seen that were completely irrelevant? Completely ignoring certain peoples posts (as opposed to just scanning over them) just opens yourself up to posting even more irrelevant crap.
First Page 2