Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Inactive Relics
Inactive Relics
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-03-22 10:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Inactive relics should be removed from the Relic's page. Maybe 3 months inactive = removed from relic page? I still see a lot of the banned characters listed there.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-22 11:48:13
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I think they should still be listed so people know that these people had previously obtained them, however, their name should definately be greyed out to signify they are no longer playing/were banned.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-03-22 11:57:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Like this XD

User submitted image

Now dont get jealous of my incredible skills in MS paint =P
 Seraph.Kep
Server: Seraph
user: Kepnerd1
By Seraph.Kep 2009-03-22 13:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
I think they should still be listed so people know that these people had previously obtained them, however, their name should definately be greyed out to signify they are no longer playing/were banned.

agreed
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-03-22 15:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ban + User submitted image
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-03-22 15:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Manually adding the sometimes 10+ new relic reports per day is enough of a job for us already. I'm not going to go back and start manually removing them too. It's seriously not that important.
 Asura.Deemos
Server: Asura
By Asura.Deemos 2009-03-22 16:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Its very important in most players eyes, because its inaccurate data, they no longer have the relic since the character is banned.
 Fairy.Raikan
Server: Fairy
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-03-22 16:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
It's seriously not that important.

YES IT IS! >O
I'm all for making you do moar work! :P

Just j/k'ing
 Gilgamesh.Brineri
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Brineri
By Gilgamesh.Brineri 2009-03-22 16:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see how it is important to anyone other than the person on the list him/herself. People's previous achievements shouldn't be a significant worry in your mind. XD
 Asura.Deemos
By Asura.Deemos 2009-03-22 16:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It isn't, but im sure the people who designed this site are smart enough to do the inactive update thing, so they work smarter not harder, and the lists are updated Accordingly.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Deemos
By Asura.Deemos 2009-03-22 17:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Well why not compile a list called "inactive relics" and everytime ffxiah.com server detects an inactive relic it goes to the "archives".

In 2 years, the list for relics will be so long, it wont even matter who has one, no one will bother looking through that list because it will be so many per relic... Alot of inactive ***imo

Idc really, just think that people should be posting the real deal.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Deemos
By Asura.Deemos 2009-03-22 18:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, i had no clue they still did manually o_O
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-03-22 18:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Our system determines an "inactive" player purely by whether or not X days has passed since their last auction house transaction. It has no idea who's been banned, who's just taking a break, or who (like me) still has an account and just hasn't made an auction house purchase in awhile.

Said relics would need to be saved somewhere else to be automatically recovered from archive if the player happened to start playing again -- which many do. This would necessitate an entire secondary archival and recovery system to be written.

And for what? So that those relics still in game could be perceived as somehow more unique or valuable? What about someone who got a relic back when it used to be 20x harder, and then honorably quit the game years ago? Should we nullify their achievement?

I have a confession to make: I hate relics.

I'm sorry if I sound annoyed, but even though we now do some of it automatically, after close to three years of individually managing all relic data by hand, dealing with well over 10,000 relic reports, relic retractions, relic disputes, relic server transfers, and disputes over retractions of reports of relic server transfers... if I had my way we would just remove the relic list from the site entirely. For many years, relics took up nearly 100% of the free time I had available to work on this site. Sadly, it's now embedded so deeply in other site systems (like Achievements) that it can't be removed.

I would have no problem with people politely notifying us that they've gotten a relic. Instead, the private messages I get about most relics overwhelmingly comprise the smarmiest, most demanding, self-righteous, and entitled material that ever lands in my inbox, and I'm completely fed up with the entire subject.

If Scragg or another admin wants to write some kind of custom automated system to remove relics from inactive players just so those still in-game can feel more special, 6+ years after the fact, then they'll have to do it, because I see absolutely no value in it.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Server: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2009-03-22 18:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Relics are added automatically and manually. Sometimes when a relic automatically gets added, I get an email insisting to have it removed. I usually don't comply with these requests.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-22 19:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

/comfort Admins ; ;
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
Server: Unicorn
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2009-03-22 19:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly guys, if at all possible, pull "manual" out of the equation entirely.

Mark all manually added ones "grey" and all scanned ones leave alone. Then if someone's account goes inactive on the site, or "x days pass since last auction transaction (a big number of course)" then it gets grayed out. It'll un-gray when they do something or go active.

If the person wants their achievement known on the site, then they can setup their profile like everyone else. Automated. You guys do a great job, no need for you to do more work.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-03-22 19:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

True story from my Inbox circa mid-2008:

1) Character A reported they had a relic.
2) Character B said that Character A had been banned, and demanded I remove the old relic entry because it "cheapened" their own.
3) Character C said they were Character A, had actually just transferred servers under a different name, and demanded the relic be transferred to their new character.
4) Character D demanded the old record be left on Character A to give achievement credit to the linkshell that got them the relic in the first place.
5) Character B indignantly reiterated that Character A had been banned, and why hadn't I removed the relic yet?
6) Character E reported that Character C wasn't Character A, neither had a relic to begin with, and neither did Character B.
7) Jaerik got all stabby.

After close to three years of the above, anyone see why I hate relics?
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-22 19:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:

2) Character B said that Character A had been banned, and demanded I remove the old relic entry because it "cheapened" their own.
3) Character C said they were Character A, had actually just transferred servers under a different name, and demanded the relic be transferred to their new character.
4) Character D demanded the old record be left on Character A to give achievement credit to the linkshell that got them the relic in the first place.
5) Character B indignantly reiterated that Character A had been banned, and why hadn't I removed the relic yet?
6) Character E reported that Character C wasn't Character A, neither had a relic to begin with, and neither did Character B.

LOL
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-22 19:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:

After close to three years of the above, anyone see why I hate relics?

LOL, and ouch. I can really see why you just want to eliminate the whole system. >_<
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-22 20:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Well as far as I'm concerned you can take them out of the achievements list too. Yes, getting a relic takes a lot of work, but no other gear is included so why should they be? I'm sure people that are 0/78 on that Castle O NM would agree that getting those gloves are an achievement :p

I guess it's just a personal thing though, I don't really care much about the achievements, as I've mentioned before, I concentrate on one job only, and am damn good at it, and have some damn good gear. But someone who spends their life in campaign and levels all their jobs to 66 for Maat's cap will have twice as many achievement points as me regardless of how much they suck at all their jobs. There's so many different ways of doing everything in this game, I think someone that has levelled multiple crafts to 100 with all 60 sub-crafts, and funded their own relic, as opposed to someone that has an LS Sponsored relic has had a greater achievement, but obviously there's no way of measuring all that.

</rant>

not sure I actually had a point in all that <_< Jaerik, if I ever get Tizona I'll be sure to tell you very politely :p
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-22 20:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Couldn't agree with you more, Blazza. I know a very bad player with a Maat's Cap. As far as I'm concerned, his "achievement" means nothing because he's still not very good at 15/15 of those jobs.
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-22 21:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Like all achievement in this game ? Since when having certain items meant you were good at something :/ Especially on FF XI since most of "rare" items are obtained through groups/linkshell.

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-22 21:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Achievement on FFXI is all relative, and all subject to each persons own interpretations.

FFXIAH's Achievement Scoring, I assume, is their [the staff's] interpretation and for nothing more than fun.

IMO

Bolded and Underlined it so people obsessed with their ranking notice that word.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-22 21:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well for some players apparently achievement points are serious business, and they would QQ all day if [insert player name here] would outrank them :/
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-22 21:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Well for some players apparently achievement points are serious business, and they would QQ all day if [insert player name here] would outrank them :/

Well I would if you outranked me :\
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-22 21:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Antipika said:

Well I would if you outranked me :\

I outrank you in RL anyway. I mean UK srsly.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-22 21:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Coming from France, need I say anymore! [Insert overused surrender joke here]