Happy Atheist Day!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Happy Atheist Day!
Happy Atheist Day!
By anjisnu 2011-04-01 20:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

if there is a god and he is the father of us all he is the biggest deadbeat dad the universe has ever known look at the state of the world lol and where is that *** of a mother who gave birth to all the pedos and rapists
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-01 20:12:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Silvaria said:

Funny you should say this...just the other night, I was watching a science program about astronomy. The number and variety of structures in the universe, from pulsars, to magnetars, to blue dwarfs, to black holes, to reflecting nebulae, to gas giants, to quasars, to solar winds, to elliptical galaxies, and so on, makes it so utterly unlikely that there was one entity who just suddenly went into a frenzy one day and designed it all that it's beyond my comprehension how anyone could really think that.

However, you're free to believe whatever you want, and I'll believe what I want. 8)

It is also not the case that the complexity of the universe is the same today, as it was billions of years ago. Scientist are still unclear what sparked the big bang. The big bang is a theory about how the universe progressed after the stimulating factor that set the whole thing in motion. This stimulus is still unaccounted for.
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
Server: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-01 20:15:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Indeed, scientists are generally not afraid to admit that they have no idea where the matter came from, nor what caused it to explode. That's the wonderful thing about science; it constantly evolves with new information, and is always a source of learning. 8)
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-01 20:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Well considering that the conditions that sparked the big bang are so unique and unlike anything the universe has ever known, its possible that there will never be a scientific explanation for how the universe actually started.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-04-01 20:30:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes times it might be funner to not figure it out, leaving it as relieving speculation. Unfortunately, some folks are dead set on shoving down the "truth" down your throat, regardless if it's a message about eternal damnnation or being wormfood in some stinkin' hole.

The way I see it, figuring out the afterlife could be sorta boring, y'know? It's like spoiling a good book; we KNOW the main character is gonna die at the end but at least it was a good read, right?

Until the shitty sequels start rolling in of course.
 Ramuh.Urial
Server: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-01 20:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Ingraham said:
Sometimes times it might be funner to not figure it out, leaving it as relieving speculation. Unfortunately, some folks are dead set on shoving down the "truth" down your throat, regardless if it's a message about eternal damnnation or being wormfood in some stinkin' hole.

The way I see it, figuring out the afterlife could be sorta boring, y'know? It's like spoiling a good book; we KNOW the main character is gonna die at the end but at least it was a good read, right?

Until the shitty sequels start rolling in of course.
The best novels have no sequels and aren't to long of a read?
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-01 20:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
Well considering that the conditions that sparked the big bang are so unique and unlike anything the universe has ever known, its possible that there will never be a scientific explanation for how the universe actually started.
my english teacher used to smack us upside the head when we spoke like that. "you sound like *** morons. 'very unique and so unique' there are no goddamn degrees of unique. ***is just "unique" you cant get any more *** unique than you already are"
lol
im sorry i offended your engrish teacher, i'd be willing to wager he's had the same level of education that I have
 Bahamut.Lolserj
Server: Bahamut
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-04-01 20:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

refreshtwo said:
http://www.cafepress.com/+evolution_of_superstition_t,183855552

http://www.cafepress.com/+if_you_dont_sin_jesus_died_for_nothing_mug,462470742

refresh loves religion
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-04-01 20:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Urial said:

The best novels have no sequels and aren't to long of a read?

Assuming they're not written by a dead guy's relative based off of old notes.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Novax
Server: Leviathan
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2011-04-01 20:37:23
Link | Quote | Reply

There's so many hows, whys, and what ifs in this entire subject.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-01 20:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
my english teacher used to smack us upside the head when we spoke like that. "you sound like *** morons. 'very unique and so unique' there are no goddamn degrees of unique. ***is just "unique" you cant get any more *** unique than you already are"
lol
im sorry i offended your engrish teacher, i'd be willing to wager he's had the same level of education that I have
Ah condescension. A bad way to handle most situations. But I was playfully pointing out how you came across nothing more. If I was insulting you, you'd know

Condescending: showing or implying a usually patronizing descent from dignity or superiority

unfortunately i was hedging; i wasn't patronizing or asserting superiority seeing as i was placing him at the same level as myself
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-04-01 21:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Since you want to talk about Paul Mr. OP. Paulbefor he was vistied by God was Saul of Tarsis(sp?).
As Saul he was not just your stereotypical Pharisee. He was more so outspoken then others like him and he made it his mission to convince people to believe as he did. He had a very silver tongue that was also as study as a wip. He very much liked to speak up against woman and then having any role other then to shut the hell up. God saw this talent and thought it could be put to better use. So he attempted to change Paul's heart(proof of free will in the bible since God wouldn't have to try to change his heart). After his visit from God and his turn towards God Paul basically became what most modern day Christians are now. The only thing that actually changed about Paul was that he was preaching for God now and not against. skip ahead some, oh lets right letters to people, city's, or pastors of church's. Well the things Paul said God would bring down on those city's never happened, looks like Paul even after Christ death was still up to his old ways of putting his own words in. Also many of the things Paul likes to say where required of Christians have direct problems with the way Jesus lived his life and was supposed to have taught him and the others how to live. While many of the other Apostles did go on to live as Jesus and witness as Jesus did. Paul continued to "preach" about damnation, seeking redemption(closely related to his betrayal of Jesus), and forcing others to live as you do instead of them wanting to live as you do by seeing your example in life.

That's right OP God asked you to live your life to lead people to him and not to impose him on those who where not ready or willing to accept him as this pushes them further away. Which is what you are doing, you are living a life Paul taught you to live, which is to Judge everyone around you, if they don't follow your code see them as inferior, Force them to believe you and threaten them if they do not, and if you not a man then you should not speak, not God. God also says in the new testament somewhere about no longer appearing before man after a certain point as well which would also mean that the books written by Paul most likely could NOT have been written in God's words. This is also why using you can't use new testament against homosexuality is because Paul is the only "servant of God" that talks about PROMISCUITY(not relationships) of men with men(which this passage can also be translated about 9 different ways that I know of and that's not using any modern words). Paul also preaches that men should be only masculine(Which that word has no real definition as it changes by each person) and any man or child showing the slightest bit of being effeminate should be "delt with"(beat the things you don't see as masculine out of him in other words), which we know now days this just hurts the childs development and will usually result in the opposite affect, further proof that God's words are not behind Paul's teaching.
Need more proof?
God tells believers to go and witness as he did, go to where the sinner's are associate with sinner's, be friends with sinner's and take interest in their lives. Paul tells believers to only be with other believers, to avoid being around "sinners" and to not go into their dwellings.
Now it has been many of years since I have actually pulled out the bible versus for all this some are in Romans, some are in Luke( or Mathew or John I forget) Corinthians, ect. Really anything that Paul's wrote you can see that it contradicts what Jesus taught him. No I won't look it up MR. OP if you are a Christian then you should know your bible which means these passages should be easy enough for you to pull out of your head. If you don't know the passages then you are what God warned people to watch out for which is a mindless sheep doing the teaching of others without knowing why you believe what you do.
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-01 21:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

holywallotxt
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-01 21:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Brurion said:
You see, when you look at a painting, you can tell it had a painter. When you look at the universe, you can tell it had a painter because it has a design!
Oh i just noticed the crocoduck argument sneaking in here lol
 Ifrit.Arawn
Server: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-01 21:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

Funny you should say this...just the other night, I was watching a science program about astronomy. The number and variety of structures in the universe, from pulsars, to magnetars, to blue dwarfs, to black holes, to reflecting nebulae, to gas giants, to quasars, to solar winds, to elliptical galaxies, and so on, makes it so utterly unlikely that there was one entity who just suddenly went into a frenzy one day and designed it all that it's beyond my comprehension how anyone could really think that.

However, you're free to believe whatever you want, and I'll believe what I want. 8)

It is also not the case that the complexity of the universe is the same today, as it was billions of years ago. Scientist are still unclear what sparked the big bang. The big bang is a theory about how the universe progressed after the stimulating factor that set the whole thing in motion. This stimulus is still unaccounted for.

Of course, if we knew everything there was to know there wouldn't be science. There'd be a class you take in school called common knowledge instead and there'd be no such thing as experiments. The fact that without leaving one planet in the universe there are people that can make guesses about how it all started is itself pretty amazing. It takes much less work to just say "Oh, somebody else did it somehow. Isn't that amazing?
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-01 21:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
lol
Ah condescension. A bad way to handle most situations. But I was playfully pointing out how you came across nothing more. If I was insulting you, you'd know

Condescending: showing or implying a usually patronizing descent from dignity or superiority

unfortunately i was hedging; i wasn't patronizing or asserting superiority seeing as i was placing him at the same level as myself
nope nothing about your statement was hedging; you were speaking incorrectly by accident and I commented on it. Doing it on purpose is very different but instead of addressing my point you condescended regarding the mentioned teachers english integrity which completely ignores my original valid point.

I don't know if you never knew "so unique" sounds stupid or if it was just a typo and I don't care which is the case. I just noticed it and made me smile, recalling a memory.

Sorry OP, regardless of how I feel about this topic I'll respect the system and stop derailing.

I'm glad I inspired a bit of reminiscence of your English teacher. Fortunately most people are built with filters that prevent them from sharing every thought or recollection. So either you lack said filter, or you were looking to experience some schadenfreude by attempting to embarrassing me with your tidbit of knowledge. Or straight trollin in here. In any case, shame on you.

That sir, makes you condescending, and the fact that you got upset over my disregard for what your teacher said all the more sweet. If there was any condescension in my post, it was directed at your need to correct a trivial mistake on an interwebz forumz, and your teacher's frankly inappropriate commentary towards his students, not at the fact that he spoke properly on one rule of english vocabulary.
:D
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-04-01 21:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Arawn said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

Of course, if we knew everything there was to know there wouldn't be science. There'd be a class you take in school called common knowledge instead and there'd be no such thing as experiments. The fact that without leaving one planet in the universe there are people that can make guesses about how it all started is itself pretty amazing. It takes much less work to just say "Oh, somebody else did it somehow. Isn't that amazing?

You would still have science(though it might be called something else) because you would still have to use that knowledge to get your results and the different fields in which it would apply to. Molecular Gastronomy is a type of Chemistry just because we know how it works doesn't mean that we all the sudden stop using the practical applications of it.
 Asura.Sandolphon
Server: Asura
By Asura.Sandolphon 2011-04-01 21:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure God's real. He does amazing things and its evident everyday. He created the world and then shaped us, his children, in his image so that we could do good and become perfect, just as he is. We were born in heaven and to heaven we shall return, that is God's plan.

If you need more proof thats God is real look to the unexplained. Ever wonder how the world became so complex? Surely it cannot have happened that way by mistake, it is truly a miracle of God. Me and my friends believe this.

We have a theory about miracles. If magic is all we've ever known
Then it's easy to miss what really goes on
But I've seen miracles in every way
And I see miracles everyday
Oceans spanning beyond my sight
And a million stars way above em at night
We don't have to be high to look in the sky
And know that's a miracle opened wide
Look at the mountains, trees, the seven seas
And everything chilling underwater, please
Hot lava, snow, rain and fog
Long neck giraffes, and pet cats and dogs
And I've seen eighty-five thousand people
All in one room, together as equals
Pure magic is the birth of my kids
I've seen ***that'll shock your eyelids
The sun and the moon, and even Mars
The Milky Way and *** shooting stars
UFOs, a river flows
Plant a little seed and nature grows
Niagara falls and the pyramids
Everything you believed in as kids
*** rainbows after it rains
There's enough miracles here to blow your brains
I fed a fish to a pelican at Frisco bay
It tried to eat my cell phone, he ran away
And music is magic, pure and clean
You can feel it and hear it but it can't be seen

Music is all magic
(Are you a firm believer in miracles)
You can't even hold it
(Do you notice and recognize miracles)
It's just there in the air
Pure motherfucking magic
Right?
This ***'ll blow your *** mind

Music is a lot like love, it's all a feeling
And it fills the room, from the floor to the ceiling
I see miracles all around me
Stop and look around, it's all astounding
Water, fire, air and dirt
*** magnets, how do they work?
And I don't wanna talk to a scientist
Y'all *** lying, and getting me pissed
Solar eclipse, and vicious weather
Fifteen thousand Juggalos together
And I love my mom for giving me this
Time on this planet, taking nothing for granted
I seen a caterpillar turn into a butterfly
Miracles ain't nothing to lie
Shaggy's little boys look just like Shaggy
And my little boy looks just like daddy
Miracles each and every where you look
And nobody has to stay where they put
This world is yours for you to explore
There's nothing but miracles beyond your door
The Dark Carnival is your invitation
To witness them without explanation
Take a look at this fine creation
And enjoy it better with appreciation
Crows, ghosts, the midnight coast
The wonders of the world, mysteries the most
Just open your mind, and it ain't no way
To ignore the miracles of every day

Magic everywhere in this ***
It's all around you, you don't even know it
Magic everywhere in this ***
***'s crazy
(Do you notice and recognize miracles,
So many miracles, the magic miracles)
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-01 21:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Arawn said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

My argument isn't that there is necessarily a supreme maker because we can't explain what set off the big bang. It is that we can't explain what set off the big bang. And we likely will never know what did unless we can observe the birth of a universe.
 Ifrit.Arawn
Server: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-01 21:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said:

I agree. Thats why I said it'd just be called common knowledge in classes and its applications would be quite common as there would never have been any need to make a distinction of calling it something other than common knowledge.

Science
1. the systematic study of the nature and behaviour of the material and physical universe, based on observation, experiment, and measurement, and the formulation of laws to describe these facts in general terms

I could see where the confusion in what I meant comes from, I suppose. In essence, you were kindly referring to the point I was making when you said that it 'might not be called science.' I've always believed that part of what makes science 'science' is the discovery of the unknown and the experiments etc. that help sxplore it. Thus a change from science into common knowledge when everything is known. Perhaps I was trying to be too pithy?
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-01 21:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, pointless argument, baleeted for great justice