Mandau Vs. Twashtar.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Mandau Vs. Twashtar.
Mandau Vs. Twashtar.
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 22:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Think you are forgetting str adds to att. And things like str dagger are one of the best offhands regardless of what mainhand you have
 Bahamut.Angelos
user: Angelos01
By Bahamut.Angelos 2011-04-09 22:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Hmm.. I'm sorry, I love mandau as a weapon, and this one is crying ;;

I wish i was cool enough to off hand Mandi.
[+]
 Bahamut.Gimpness
user: Gimpness
By Bahamut.Gimpness 2011-04-09 22:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Angelos said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Hmm.. I'm sorry, I love mandau as a weapon, and this one is crying ;;

I wish i was cool enough to off hand Mandi.

me too.
(though most of the time it doesn't let you main hand relics/emps for some reason)
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 22:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't it just the order you add them?
[+]
 Sylph.Gredival
Server: Sylph
user: Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-04-10 16:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Think you are forgetting str adds to att. And things like str dagger are one of the best offhands regardless of what mainhand you have

I'm not good enough at math to calculate a gap in pDIF to apply, but yes the Mandau build would theoretically have a better pDIF multiplier. However the gap isn't as big as one might expect (you get to sneak a decent amount of attack in with a lot of DEX pieces like Love Torque and Cuchulain's Belt)

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Isn't it just the order you add them?

No it's buggy. I went through a great deal of effort to get it right on my item sets, and I forgot what I had to do, but it required re-adding/removing each dagger a lot.
 Gilgamesh.Crolion
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Crolion
By Gilgamesh.Crolion 2011-04-10 17:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol at emps not going past 90 then please explain why relics and mythics went past 75 when clearly abyssea had nothing to do with those weapons to give then a reason to boost em lol.

As in the case of relic vs emp ya relic is a better main hander then emp any day the hidden effect is nice I know a few thfs that rock both just cause and remember that 10-15 dex boost from empy helps tons inside abyss without a doubt.

As stated before if u got the gils to blow go for it if ur a poor *** like me ull settle with the empy.
[+]
 Sylph.Gredival
user: Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-04-11 10:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Balance. The developers explicitly said many times that relics would remain the "best" weapons. Obviously the developers don't have the same conception of best as players, but they are smart enough to realize they couldn't keep relics at 75.

Moreover none of the other gear is tied to Abyssea. No other gear has trials tied to Abyssea only. Empyreans are the outlier. Given that the theme of empyreans was to restore weapons of the Champions of Abyssea

Additionally they seem to know that they overpowered the empyreans, they would likely still destroy 99 weapons if kept at 90 from the aftermath alone.

In any case the explicit word of the developers is to bring relics up to or above empyrean. Now that isn't going to happen for some, like knuckles, where the ws just won't permit balance, but that its not the case with the daggers where the ws are not very different.
[+]
By Burke 2011-04-12 02:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Falseliberty said:
As a twastar owner not gonna lie 45 att sounds awesome for an attack starved job like thf, but i love my ***! its hits like a truck and the milkshake brings the boys to tha yard

lmao!
 Asura.Antaress
Server: Asura
user: Antaress
By Asura.Antaress 2011-04-14 21:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:
I don't get how you can say they are mathetically equivalent when dex is so much more readily available, specially inside abyssea. Even if their availability was identical, chances are dex would be higher because thief has better dex than str. A mithra for one, has almost 20 more dex than str. So Rudras was certainly always superior with an extra 0.2 ftp and a stat that is naturally higher for us, and only now MS started effectivelly beating it.

Inside abyssea things are more discrepant. We have an atma that is a "must equip" which boosts dex even more. If you equip a second atma to increase str you will only be losing, because the standard second option (GH) probably boosts evis (the real bread and butter) more than a str atma would. Or if the second option happens to be alpha and omega, 10% triple should boost the MS damage close to what 40-50 str would. So RS damage should always be higher than a nonlv90 MS.

Brazilian people exist on FFXI!!!
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2011-04-15 14:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Antaress said:
Brazilian people exist on FFXI!!!

lol oh yeah!

I'm on a break from the game though hehe. I do lurk a lot on thief forums like alla and here, because i can't really detach from the game lol.

I also thought Asura was filled with brazillians now lol. Is it not? Most people i knew from remora moved there and but a handfull are in Leviathan now (and most taking breaks too lol).
 Valefor.Smush
Server: Valefor
user: lavizzle
By Valefor.Smush 2011-04-19 14:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

here some pics of RS and some after math SA's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff494/smush2/

Its Great inside abyssea. And outside you can hit numbers 3k+ theres one of faf in there
 Valefor.Corvin
user: wesman121
By Valefor.Corvin 2011-05-02 21:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok all i wanna know is which is better 90 mandau vs a 90 Twashtar
and why please.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-02 21:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Mandau, cause of the AM and cause the WS sucks less than Rudra's when unstacked?
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-05-02 21:23:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Mandau will always rule, of for nothing else, the bling factor
[+]
 Valefor.Corvin
By Valefor.Corvin 2011-05-02 21:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

what is the Mandau AM?
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-05-02 21:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Corvin said:
what is the Mandau AM?
crit hit rate
 Valefor.Corvin
By Valefor.Corvin 2011-05-02 21:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

so that beats out the ODD?
 Asura.Backstab
user: backstab
By Asura.Backstab 2011-05-02 22:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Mandau AM is no where near as good as ***... 5% crit hit rate vs 30%~ ODD lmao. 5% crit hit rate is bs and almost useless in abyssea.
 Asura.Backstab
By Asura.Backstab 2011-05-02 22:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyway i dont know wtf u want op... If u can build a mandau just get both, its not like *** hard to get, tbh its a walk in the park if u can get 2 or 3 peeps to help you.

Nvm the offhand *** i wrote below, all those boosts dont seem to work when wielding mandau offhand.

Edit: if i had the dolla for a mandau i would get one, 35 attack is nice for a offhand dagger and u get 5% occ deals triple dmg on top of that + the 10 tic poison effect.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-02 23:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Backstab said:
Mandau AM is no where near as good as ***... 5% crit hit rate vs 30%~ ODD lmao. 5% crit hit rate is bs and almost useless in abyssea.

Says a guy blatantly defending his newly achieved Twasthar?

What you don't seem to realize is that Mandau already has an innate "Occasionally deals triple damage" and then the Aftermath from the WS which, at lvl 90, has been boosted?

Btw the attack bonus of the Mandau 90 is 35 atm. It'll probably get to 45 at lvl 99
[+]
 Asura.Backstab
By Asura.Backstab 2011-05-02 23:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Read the post above u sheelay.

If i had the gil to get a mandau i would get both and offhand mandau.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-02 23:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Backstab said:
Read the post above u sheelay.

If i had the gil to get a mandau i would get both and offhand mandau.

I did, and decided to reply the way I did to correct a few statements of yours. Aside from Twasthar only granting the ODD effect when using Rudra's storm, which is only good when forced to Crit, offhanding a Mandau would not grant the Attack bonus to the player.

As I said, mandau has innate ODTriple Damage, a WS which increases Critical hit rate and is undergoing a boost by SE.

Before calling BS on a weapon VS another I'd suggest you keep in mind those facts and the fact Abyssea won't be as frequent of an event once Void and the new battlefields come out.
[+]
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-05-02 23:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Backstab said:
Anyway i dont know wtf u want op... If u can build a mandau just get both, its not like *** hard to get, tbh its a walk in the park if u can get 2 or 3 peeps to help you.
Edit: if i had the dolla for a mandau i would get one, 35 attack is nice for a offhand dagger and u get 5% occ deals triple dmg on top of that + the 10 tic poison effect.

Unfortuantely, 35 attack only applies when you mainhand the Mandau. And IIRC, the hidden 2-3x dmg swings are also only available when mainhanding it.
 Asura.Backstab
By Asura.Backstab 2011-05-02 23:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

So u only get the 35 attack and ODtriple dmg if u main hand mandau? I guess i must have missed something then. (lmao that kinda sucks lol)

All i said was 5% Crit rate doesnt beat 30%~ ODD and even 5% crit rate + 5% ODtriple dmg wont beat 30% ODD. And idc what boosts SE has in store for relics and emps atm we are talking about the stage 90 emp vs the stage 90 relic.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-02 23:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think Mandau 90 only grants 5% Crit rate bonus.
I'm basing my assumption on the fact that other weapons were reported to grant an increased Aftermath effect. If I remember correctly, the lvl 90 Ragnarok grants over 25% (25% was at lvl 80) Crit rate after WSing.
[+]
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-05-03 00:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Backstab said:
So u only get the 35 attack and ODtriple dmg if u main hand mandau? I guess i must have missed something then. (lmao that kinda sucks lol)

All i said was 5% Crit rate doesnt beat 30%~ ODD and even 5% crit rate + 5% ODtriple dmg wont beat 30% ODD. And idc what boosts SE has in store for relics and emps atm we are talking about the stage 90 emp vs the stage 90 relic.

Twash is Garbage.
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2011-05-03 00:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Systematicchaos said:
Asura.Backstab said:

Twash is Garbage.

Your argument is invalid.
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-05-03 00:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Khimaira said:
Sylph.Systematicchaos said:
Asura.Backstab said:

Twash is Garbage.

Your argument is invalid.

But I supported it with so much evidence!
 Asura.Backstab
By Asura.Backstab 2011-05-03 00:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Would be cool to see some testing on that then, if a lvl 90 mandau owner wouldnt mind doing it^^

Anyway mandau/twasthar or twasthar/mandau both combos would be the best dagger combo anyway. I would prolly use mandau mainhand outside and the *** mainhand in aby depending how the AM of mandau is but since i dont have a mandau i cant really tell u how good it is. If i was in the op's position i would get them both since he can afford a mandau and twasthar is a joke to get.

Btw sheelay im not defending my newly gained ***, i have had it for around 2 months now