Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » The Sims going Medieval
The Sims going Medieval
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-16 17:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The Sims Medieval, which releases on March 22 on PC and Mac, takes Sims fans way back to the Middle Ages, where they'll discover simulated life's rather different than they might have gotten used to. Sure, you'll still be able to do the usual Sims stuff -- eat, drink, have babies, set yourself on fire -- but The Sims: Medieval's gameplay will be more structured, more directed, and include a much heavier emphasis on role-playing. link

Just curious if anyone here plans to check it out. I usually end up checking out all the new Sims games just for nostalgia's sake, Me and my brother played the hell out of the first one.
[+]
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-03-16 17:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this an expansion pack or a stand alone game?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-16 17:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure it's not just an expansion.
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-03-16 17:11:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh. Not sure if I want to put down $60 (assuming full retail price) on a stand alone game when I can probably get The Sims3+ a few expansions for the same price. If it gets some expansion support then maybe. Maybe.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-03-16 17:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Not gonna lie, I'll play the hell outta this.

I remade the entire cast of Persona 3 and 4 in Sims 3 for kicks, I can't begin to imagine what stupidity I'll be capable of here.
 Bismarck.Nevill
Server: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-03-16 17:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

inb4 pirate it
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2011-03-16 17:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll be getting it. I played Sims 2 obsessively for a couple of years but stopped when I got into FFXI. I bought Sims 3 but hated it due to lack of support for custom content.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-16 19:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
I'll be getting it. I played Sims 2 obsessively for a couple of years but stopped when I got into FFXI. I bought Sims 3 but hated it due to lack of support for custom content.
I can't put my finger on why I didn't like it.. I don't really get into modding in The Sims, so that's not it.. In theory I should like it more than the previous ones, because it still has pretty much everything all the ones before had, but this one just added more stuff to play with.. For whatever reason, I just didn't like it.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-22 04:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitting shelves today.. Just bumping for anyone who might've missed it.
 Bismarck.Maxse
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-03-22 04:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Might have to check this out for my wife sims is about the only video games I can get her interested in playing ;/ Not that they are bad just wish I could get her into FFXI.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-03-22 04:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Can somebody explain to me what the point of the game is?
 Bismarck.Maxse
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-03-22 04:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:

Ask a woman but Im pretty sure It's like playing house without virtual dolls instead of real dolls.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2011-03-22 04:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:

Basically role play with a virtual family, can get quite addictive sometimes.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-22 04:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

This one isn't supposed to be like the other Sims, to date all the others are just what the title says, Sims, simulation of real life. You buy a house, have a family, have a baby, deal with a job and running a household, all that.. It can be pretty addicting, I never woulda thought I'd of liked it, but I do.

From what it sounds like, this new one will be more like a RPG, Sims 3 had a questing system in a sense, they were called opportunities, and completing them (which some required already having the skill to do) gave various rewards, but it was still very much just like all the other Sims.

This one is supposed to be a lot more quest based and a lot less household management based.. I'll report in after I've actually put a bit of time into it to tell yal whether that is true or not.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2011-03-22 04:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't played any Sims games since I gave my copy of the Sims 2 to my niece a couple years back. So I'm just going off that particular one.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-22 04:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said:
I haven't played any Sims games since I gave my copy of the Sims 2 to my niece a couple years back. So I'm just going off that particular one.
Sims 3 wasn't a whole lot different than 2, so what you said is accurate. It introduced quite a few new features, but it was still essentially the same game.
 Shiva.Shinneh
Server: Shiva
user: Shinneh
By Shiva.Shinneh 2011-03-22 05:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Saw this last night, was rather surprised to see Turk from Scrubs on the trailer lol.
 Bahamut.Sakurawr
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Sakurawr 2011-03-22 05:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

As with all sim games I'll be torrenting it, as EA like to release 489375 expansions at £30 each D:
Edit: Pirate Bay has some up, not many seeders though.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-24 20:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Well as promised I'm here to speak for what the game is like..

It is definitely more RPG-ish than any previous Sims game, but there is still plenty of Sims feel to it. You still are trying to manage every day activities while keeping your Sim 'happy' (called focus in this game).. The only major change from the character creation is now there are 3 traits, but only 2 are positive, and you are required to pick a negative one. There are no 'favorites', and you can only pick outfits (no mix and matching).

There's no bathroom, hygiene, fun or social requirements to keep them focused, as far as I can tell. There is still bathing, no idea what it does exactly, they still use the bathroom, but again, no idea what it actually does. I haven't seen anything related to 'fun', and even though there is no social meter, you still need to be social to build up relationships with others.

Everything is based on quests. You build up your kingdom by getting points and cash from completing quests.. By build up your kingdom, I mean you are basically given an empty land, you have your castle, there's a village, there's a forest, and there's the 'judgment area' where the stocks are, beyond that you have to add everything on your own. Each class has it's own 'base', to have a medic, you first have to complete quests and opt to buy the hospital (not the actual names, I can't remember what they were exactly off the top of my head) or to get a knight, you first need to make a barracks. They are pre-fabed buildings, you don't design the buildings, but you can add furnishings.

Then there are also daily quests, called responsibilities to complete, it's not required, but it helps speed things along. The actual quests involve doing multiple things that can take a couple of days (game days.. and only can take a couple of days because there are numerous things you have to do to complete the quest, I suppose you can power straight through them, but keeping up your focus is the best thing to do, and there's too much to do on one day) to complete, the responsibilities are simple tasks that only require doing one thing.

There's also the random encounters, although the random encounters are almost universally negative in previous Sims, in this one it's more like the Chance Cards in Monopoly, they can be bad or good, but there's another aspect of it, because you are given two options of how to react to them, I can only guess that one results in negative outcome and come results in positive.

There's a lot more to it, but that is the basics, much different, but still a lot like all previous Sims.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-03-24 20:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yah that sounds really interesting. When I first heard of it, I imagined it in-line of the gameplay of SIMS3 and figured it would be really goofy LOL.

As it neared release and they showed more teasers of gameplay it does seem very different. From your description, it actually sounds more like SIM City in that it focuses on castle-operations or fiefdoms, and just happens to have a central character/SIM as the main interface.

I guess, to me, it sounds a lot like those old "immersive" Star Trek simulators, where you'd have a single Captain character directing efforts from a bridge/command centre, but allowing the player to move around the play interface/ship and micro-manage all the different interactions in the game as it goes along.

I would imagine without plenty of pre-generated random "events" for your kingdom, the gameplay might get a bit stale, but I did see the "ueber-realistic graphics" they are promoting for it are very cool and would be a nice distracition for a while (especially if you can do more "adult" things in the game than just standard Rated-E interactions LOL.) Hope it's a lot of fun to play, Slipi!
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-24 20:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said:
Yah that sounds really interesting. When I first heard of it, I imagined it in-line of the gameplay of SIMS3 and figured it would be really goofy LOL.

As it neared release and they showed more teasers of gameplay it does seem very different. From your description, it actually sounds more like SIM City in that it focuses on castle-operations or fiefdoms, and just happens to have a central character/SIM as the main interface.

I guess, to me, it sounds a lot like those old "immersive" Star Trek simulators, where you'd have a single Captain character directing efforts from a bridge/command centre, but allowing the player to move around the play interface/ship and micro-manage all the different interactions in the game as it goes along.

I would imagine without plenty of pre-generated random "events" for your kingdom, the gameplay might get a bit stale, but I did see the "ueber-realistic graphics" they are promoting for it are very cool and would be a nice distracition for a while (especially if you can do more "adult" things in the game than just standard Rated-E interactions LOL.) Hope it's a lot of fun to play, Slipi!
Oh I forgot, when you engage in battle, you have weaponskills of a sort.. That's another aspect that makes it more like a RPG, it isn't just click attack and hope you win.. The battle isn't completely comprehensive, but you do have some choices..
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-03-24 20:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

That does sound pretty cool. Certainly more sophisticated than traditional SIMS-battles (hope your stats are higher...click interaction...start up movie recorder...regret not having saved the game first...) :p

Sadly, I am sure all the cheat codes for it have already been released in advance, knowing EA. :/
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-03-24 20:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe this one will keep my interest longer then an hour.