Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Goldsmithing » Break Synthing
Break Synthing
 Unicorn.Divinian
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2011-02-22 06:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I am getting back into GS a bit to at least finish up to 68 for my apron since I have the guild points. I noticed I have all the mats for moonring blades stored on my mule. My plan must have been to break synth moonring blades up to or near the cap of 73. My question is this:

Moonring Blade
GS (73) Smithing (53)

I have GS at 66
I have Smithing at 38

Since this is a break synth recipe, will I still receive skill ups on a break if I use support to get me into the "5 levels under cap" range? I know that this works for a regular synth where you are not normally relying on subcrafts, but in this case my subcraft is 15 levels below the cap, specifically to aid me in breaking every synth.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your time.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-22 07:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I've done it before on low lvl crap. Though I don't think I was that far away.
 Bahamut.Michelangelo
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Michelangelo 2011-02-22 07:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You can do get skillups so long as within range. You might get a message saying that the craft skill is beyond or current level or something to that effect. Usually try at 10 or 11 level below cap, at that point you will break often but you are correct you will get skillups.
 Unicorn.Divinian
user: Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2011-02-22 08:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for the posters who answered thus far.

I think I am looking more for a person who has actually done this kind of synthing before. Being 15 under cap in the subcraft is fine and I will not receive messages about have insufficient skill. In fact, I have done this synth before...a bunch of times. Thing is, I did not receive one skill up.

Maybe it was an unlucky day or maybe it was that one cannot get skill up when more than 5 below cap if subcraft is this low. I have more mats and am ready to do this again, but I would rather see if it is possible to receive skill ups with this synth given my current level before I waste my mats.

Thanks again for those that posted and if anyone else has any thoughts to add, please do.
 Unicorn.Vxsote
user: VxSote
By Unicorn.Vxsote 2011-02-23 11:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

No. Your natural skill needs to be within 5 levels of cap to skill on a break. Whether the break is caused by a subcraft or not is not relevant to that question.