Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Glavoid Strat Help
Glavoid Strat Help
 Leviathan.Yoshikiii
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Yoshiki
By Leviathan.Yoshikiii 2011-02-10 02:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Just looking to see how other people kill this efficiently. How do others deal with Disgorge and what jobs are used to tank it and kill with in a respectable amount of time.

Any suggestions or hints are welcome. Thank you in advance.
 Leviathan.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-10 02:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The best way to do it is probably MNK or NIN tank, WHM and BLM to stun Disgorge.

How we did it at 80 cap was like... pick whatever tank you want and throw SMN Physical BPs at it.
[+]
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-02-10 02:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Generally we like to have Scherzo or Migawari for Disgorge. Migawari's recast can be annoying though. We generally have more people there helping but I imagine MNK THF WHM BRD should have little trouble and have treasure hunter for drops. Just be sure you aren't healing him when he is weaponskilling.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-02-10 03:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Killing it effectively? There's nothing at all to Glavoid besides turning when it uses a tp move and Disgorge. Just don't hit it when it uses a TP move, stun Disgorge and you're set.

If you want to kill it with as few people as possible, you can get away with going THF/DRK yourself, bring along a WHM that doesn't suck and just duo it.
 Bismarck.Sixo
user: sixo
By Bismarck.Sixo 2011-02-10 03:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

We normally have 5-6 people total blu/nin or /rdm, nin/war and war/sam as dd/tanks. whm and rdm with maybe a dual boxed whm/blm as support.

Try to stun disgorge if you can, or have all 3 dd in front so it normally doesnt kill anyone (can kill all 3 if its absorbed alot though).

Other than disgorge the fights not hard if melee are paying attention. Best to ws right after its stoped absorbing after tp move, or ws during casts (try not to skillchain) so you dont cure it.

Without bad timed ws's curing it for 5k+ normally takes about 5-7 mins to kill.
 Gilgamesh.Topdogg
Server: Gilgamesh
user: opti09
By Gilgamesh.Topdogg 2011-02-10 03:06:12
Link | Quote | Reply

barstone/carol, few tanks in front, DD it while hes casting, turn away when he isnt, stun disgorge, rebuffs and debuffs, and win. easy fight
 Odin.Spccdog
Server: Odin
user: spccdog
By Odin.Spccdog 2011-02-10 03:15:51
Link | Quote | Reply

we have done this mnk whm blm war, but of course a thf or another mnk wont hurt. line up dds in front and turn from healing it. pretty easy overall
 Leviathan.Apoptygma
user: Apoptygma
By Leviathan.Apoptygma 2011-02-10 03:16:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The trick is to not WS or TP while it's using TP's or 4 seconds afterwards.
Because it recovers HP and gains a strong stoneskin.
2-4 DD's should also spread out and not stand in its face.
Standing to the side of it helps to see it casting.

VV or Seadaughter is useful for idle TP gain, standing with your back to the NM and WSing as soon as it starts casting a spell.
It has a tendency to TP after casting long spells.

A rdm with sabo>addle is useful, and a whm for cures.
Keep Shell/Barstone on at all times. Earth Carol if you got it. Do not use protect.
Communicate with your mages when you lose buffs, and keeping nm dispel.
Atma of the Desert Wyrm has alot of earth defense as well.

Bismarck.Rinomaru
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2011-02-10 03:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Dancers can stun every WS, /dnc is 90% accurate which is a godsend.
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2011-02-10 03:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

pretty much just need one person to tank it and a few smn's to pact on it.

predator claws while its casting quake2 or an aga are really good. Don't have your avatars engage tho.. just pact while standing near glavoid. That way you aren't feeding him tp.

If you dont have a competent tank.. a bst jugpet works great also.

When we killed just had one bst jugpet tank the entire time.

Glavoid hits are very weak.. even w/o any pdt gear. He is a lot weaker than most abyssea NM :o

He doesn't have a lot of hp so it should be a fairly fast fight if you are patient enough and just pact while he is casting.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-10 09:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

DD + WHM/BLM, turn at the appropriate times and Stun Disgorge.
 Alexander.Equilibrium
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Equilibrium 2011-02-10 09:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

When I'm on SMN I always stand right next to it, wait for it to begin casting Quake II or Stonega IV before Pred clawing it, no chance of healing it this way if you're fast on your macro.

I have seen some Glavoid fights go on for over an hour when people don't know what they're doing.

Less is better with this NM, it only takes 2 incompetent people curing it and you'll never kill it.
Having a bard with Earth Carol II helps alot too.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-02-10 10:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

as most others have said + pull it to the and make sure your tank has their back to the wall for its knockback
 Alexander.Equilibrium
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Equilibrium 2011-02-10 10:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:

Since it can slowga almost instantly when a nuke finishes due to seperate timers for enfeebles, I can picture this strategy being troublesome at times
It takes Glavoid a good 5 seconds to cast those two spells, and about 3 seconds for Garuda to execute a BP.

I've never healed it doing this, and any melee with regain atma could use the same strat for ws.
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2011-02-10 11:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK or NIN tank it, when it uses gorge, have your WHM/BLM be ready to stun disgorge, have your BRD/WHM focus on curing your tank, it really shouldn't be much longer after it uses gorge that it will follow up with disgorge.

Happy Hunting o/

edit-

alternatively you could have your brd come /blm and stun if you fear that your whm will be to distracted if your tank eats a heavy hit or something.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-02-10 11:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I've noticed BLU headbutt works really well on Glavoid (given it's technically a higher-tier Abyssea NM where normally headbutt stuns are kind of iffy at times.) After you proc whatever !! you want on it and have a BLU around, you can practically stun-lock it with repeated headbutt (unless it's casting quake or other desirable long-casting spell) allowing the DDs to just go to town on smashing its HPs.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-02-10 11:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Alexander.Equilibrium said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:

Since it can slowga almost instantly when a nuke finishes due to seperate timers for enfeebles, I can picture this strategy being troublesome at times
It takes Glavoid a good 5 seconds to cast those two spells, and about 3 seconds for Garuda to execute a BP.

I've never healed it doing this, and any melee with regain atma could use the same strat for ws.
I've had 2 blms time freeze II right when quake II ended about 5 times in a fight perfectly, yet one time he decided to near instant cast it after and it wasnt a 5 second delay. both blms healed him for 8k+ -_-

I know what you're saying but you're worded in strange. Its not an "instant Cast"

As far as i can tell, Glavoid has 2 Spell timers.

1 for Quake II/Slowga
and another for Stonega IV/Slowga

So he can cast say, quake II, and follow it up immediately with Stonega IV, or slowga again, or go Quake II > Slowga, etc.

But never Stonega IV > Stonega IV, or Quake II > Qauke II.

As far as Strats go? At level 90 you don't really NEED a strat lol.

I did it with THF, WHM, DRK just cause its the friends i had with me :) (GF/Brother)

I tanked on THF with the plan to "Stun Disgorge/Spells" eventually we realized Stonega IV hits for about 700 damage and i could eat them no problem, and ended with just stunning Disgorge.

at about 25% it used Gorge on me and hit me for 3,290 damage, So we learned... Stun Gorge AND Disgorge. Outside of that the fight is easy.

However, if you're farming an Empyrean, I would not suggest the whole BG-Endorsed E-peen Route of MNK+WHM ONRY. You'll want to bring as many friends as possible who know they're there to help you, if you can... Cause instead of farming the horrible pops, you can gather ~12 people and fell-cleave ***, get exp/Cruor, let your friends leech jobs, and hold Pop-sets for you.

Then we you got all 12~ popsets, go do a Glavoid Marathon.

he easy, Just be sure not to cure him. and stun Gorge and Disgorge >.> he can do both randomly D: But he doesn't seem to use them entirely too often... But(!) random is random.

Asura.Kese
user: buhusky34
By Asura.Kese 2011-02-10 12:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

ya we just finished our first ukkon80, and the whole time we did the fights war, mnk/war, blu, and whm. was kinda funny, all i did was headbutt every tp move while chilling inside glav.
 Asura.Solara
user: solara
By Asura.Solara 2011-02-10 12:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

What Kese said. Stun gorge/disgorge whenever possible (gorge will almost never be dangerous unless your shell has been dispelled), you can eat anything else while counter or retaliation tanking without it ever getting risky.

While I've solo tanked it war/sam and nin/war, and our mnk/war has solo tanked it as well, I'd recommend two dds on it just because it goes down so much faster. With a War+Mnk and someone to stun, you can burn through a full set of pops (we usually did 6-7 at a time, since we were also doing Verethragna x 2) in no time.
[+]
 Leviathan.Yoshikiii
user: Yoshiki
By Leviathan.Yoshikiii 2011-02-10 12:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok cool :D
Thank you very much, this helps a lot.

I think our problem was when we did it we didn't have anyone to stun it, but i suppose thats the key. And you're right as long as that would have been stunned the rest of the fight is easy.
By Magico 2011-02-14 10:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

best advice: get people who didn't key *** their main jobs
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Etoilemourante 2011-02-14 11:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said:
Killing it effectively? There's nothing at all to Glavoid besides turning when it uses a tp move and Disgorge. Just don't hit it when it uses a TP move, stun Disgorge and you're set. If you want to kill it with as few people as possible, you can get away with going THF/DRK yourself, bring along a WHM that doesn't suck and just duo it.

THF/DRK not problem dont have shadow? and need atma refresh too so ?