Tomahawk????

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » Tomahawk????
Tomahawk????
 Shiva.Narkash
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Narkash
By Shiva.Narkash 2011-02-09 05:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it worth it in a low-man Abyssea group??
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-09 06:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Why wouldn't it be? Does more than Savagery or Aggressive Aim.
 Unicorn.Leoheart
Server: Unicorn
user: Leoheart
By Unicorn.Leoheart 2011-02-09 06:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Too situational to waste merits on, since it only dispels the "special defenses" of an enemy, i.e removes certain immunities to damage like Jailer of temperance for a certain amount of time, in the long run it isnt worth it, you're better off meriting Savagery and warriors charge.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-09 06:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

How is meriting Savagery less situational than Tomahawk? Warcry lasts at max 40 seconds and doesn't really help either of the major weaponskills we should be using, that is Raging and Ukko's. Removing monster's special defenses works on many abyssea monsters and on several families which are normally horrible to melee on, and makes it easier for mages versus monsters with certain magic immunities as well. Helping everyone do damage through immunities is going to do more in the long run than Savagery merits.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-02-09 09:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Neisan said:
How is meriting Savagery less situational than Tomahawk? Warcry lasts at max 40 seconds and doesn't really help either of the major weaponskills we should be using, that is Raging and Ukko's. Removing monster's special defenses works on many abyssea monsters and on several families which are normally horrible to melee on, and makes it easier for mages versus monsters with certain magic immunities as well. Helping everyone do damage through immunities is going to do more in the long run than Savagery merits.

Name a mob plox? It's really situational. Now if it was like Angon it would be nice but eh...

Edit: savagery for Aeolian Edge with Fencer? If your basically cleaving like this Retaliation only procs on the main hand. This is if you need Amber though.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-09 12:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Could just be me then but I've found it to affect quite a few Notorious monsters, unfortunately there's no message stating what immunity/resistance was removed...
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-09 12:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd keep 1 merit in it. It's not like merits are so hard to get. And while it will usually be kinda worthless when you can use it it is rather nice. And it doesn't just remove certain immunities. Plenty of mobs have physical or magical resistances it can take care of
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-02-09 12:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can name even a small handful of mobs that people fight often, then tomahawk would be pretty useful because prior to abyssea, it was like slimes in einherjar and temperance that were the only two reasons to merit it.
 Ragnarok.Neraya
Server: Ragnarok
user: Neraya
By Ragnarok.Neraya 2011-02-10 07:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

>> Damage Types
If what you're fighting sometimes got a negative modifier (inferior to 1), it justify the use of Tomahawk.

The more you cross the path of those monster, the more it justify it.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-02-10 07:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Neraya said:
>> Damage Types
If what you're fighting sometimes got a negative modifier (inferior to 1), it justify the use of Tomahawk.

The more you cross the path of those monster, the more it justify it.

Damn Mimics.
 Unicorn.Leoheart
Server: Unicorn
user: Leoheart
By Unicorn.Leoheart 2011-02-10 12:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fact is, a tp bonus added to warcry isn't situational at all.
where tomahawk is nice for the monsters it can be used on (Slimes, Elementals, skeletons, jailer of temperance, some abyssea nms) it's only good for just that.
But with a mage around, the duration of tomahawk magic damage doesnt justify the amount of merits you'd have to put in it to make it worth while, if using multiple mages then yes, it's great, but that's the full extent of it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-11 00:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

In that case merit it once to unlock it JIC. After WC the rest of Cat 2 is fairly lackluster.

EDIT: I'll amend my statement of Savagery 'not really helping' since if wiki is to be believed max merits will net you +10% crit on Raging/Ukko's (if it's correct on crit% increase based on TP) but at only 30-40 second length the overall increase in damage is probably quite minimal.

And like with all TP bonuses, it won't have any effect under Sekkanoki if it matters.
 Alexander.Vivicide
Server: Alexander
user: Vivicide
By Alexander.Vivicide 2011-02-22 18:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Leoheart said:

where tomahawk is nice for the monsters it can be used on (Slimes, Elementals, skeletons, jailer of temperance, some abyssea nms) it's only good for just that.
But with a mage around, the duration of tomahawk magic damage doesnt justify the amount of merits you'd have to put in it to make it worth while, if using multiple mages then yes, it's great, but that's the full extent of it.

Bloodrage.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-02-22 19:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Vivicide said:
Unicorn.Leoheart said:

Bloodrage.

Warcry when bloodrage wears off obviously :)
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-02-22 23:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Leoheart said:

Actually, unless I misunderstood Savagery merits, 5/5 would still require you to have 150% TP to make the most use out of it. I don't know about you, but if I have to swing 3 more times to make use of something when I get 100%, it's wasting more time I could be killing another mob.

I really can't see a viable requirement for me holding TP outside "I forgot to use it"
 Cerberus.Godlyhank
Server: Cerberus
user: Godlyhank
By Cerberus.Godlyhank 2011-02-23 01:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks to this thred i knwo to delete savagery now and 5/5 tomahawk :/ tbh i never use savagary anyways lol
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-02-23 01:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

- In any situation where you are running towards a battlefield or pre-buffing (Sleep/Opo-Crown, Meditate, Regain Atmas), Savagery will come in handy since you would be readying over 100 TP.

- In any situation where you are about to fight a mob with special physical or magical resistance bonuses (Mimics, Undead, Amorphs and few more), Tomahawk will come in handy.

Savagery was much more useful back at 75 when people would use TP Bonus weapons such as Martial Bhuji or Hagun, which allowed you to WS with just 150 TP and hit for 300 TP. Tomahawk was rarely used since the occasions you'd be fighting special mobs were less frequent than nowadays. Still, it had its uses.

The way I see this, Savagery is slightly more useful because it's additional to the use of Warcry, which can always be used to increase your enmity and your Party's Attack, but that's just me.

In the end, both are situatinal, both have their uses, neither will prevail over the other since they do completely different things and both were developed for old gamestyle where people would care about stuff such as 300 TP WS, SC, MB etc.

Unlock both and make use of them accordingly when the occasion comes.
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-02-23 07:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Just an aside, if you are prebuffing/running towards a battlefield, Bloodrage should be your JA of choice, not warcry
 Bahamut.Angelos
Server: Bahamut
user: Angelos01
By Bahamut.Angelos 2011-02-23 08:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyssea wont be around forever.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-02-23 08:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

5/5 WC, 4/5 Savagery, 1/5 Tomahawk

If additional Tomahawk merits decreased recast instead of increasing duration, I'd be 5/5 WC, 5/5 Tomahawk. As it is though, I find I'm rarely fighting things that live longer than 30 seconds with substantial damage resistance. If I regularly did Tiamats on WAR or something, I'd consider it.
 Asura.Rinkydink
Server: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2011-02-23 08:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Angelos said:
Abyssea will be around forever.

ftfy
 Bismarck.Fonseca
user: Fonseca
By Bismarck.Fonseca 2011-02-23 09:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Tomahawk? Black Ops Thread?
 Alexander.Vivicide
Server: Alexander
user: Vivicide
By Alexander.Vivicide 2011-02-23 19:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said:
- In any situation where you are running towards a battlefield or pre-buffing (Sleep/Opo-Crown, Meditate, Regain Atmas), Savagery will come in handy since you would be readying over 100 TP.

In that situation Bloodrage is obviously ready for use. Use it.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-02-23 20:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Vivicide said:
Odin.Sheelay said:

In that situation Bloodrage is obviously ready for use. Use it.

True! Bloodrage is amazing and will be more beneficial than Warcry. The fact it can last up to 60 seconds with the the +2 Lorica makes it even better.

For Group 2 Merits though, once you've gotten 5/5 Warrior's Charge, the choice goes between either Savagery or Tomahawk. I tried to explain how the 2 have their different uses though and still feel my point stays.

My point was to give a reason for suggesting to unlock Tomahawk and use the remaining merit points on savagery still.