Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 7562 7563 7564 ... 22715 22716 22717
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2012-10-14 11:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk I just don't see what other people see when they talk about older games like they are god compaired to what we have now... I didn't play many games growing up so I've been going back and trying alot lately and I'm not finding anything that makes them any better then what we get now.

I just finished FF4 for example, it took 22 hours and only got killed twice. Story was all right and it was fun to see the first atb (I think right?) but I can't really say it was any better (or worse) then the more recent entries.

Part way through FF5 and I have to go back to that at somepoint but again I havn't been blown away. Chrono trigger I started but nothing was able to keep me at it so it's also on the todo list.

Part of the problem is we are now more mature as gamers than we used to be. Challanges that before would have given us problems we can solve no problem now and the same goes for boss fights. We have seen so many storys and known so many characters that we can't help but find the similarities and call them repeats or pick apart a character because they don't appear to be what we want them to be. I love FF7, 8, Legend of Dragoon etc, but as soon as I step away from the nostalga factor the flaws in the argument of them being better then current games becomes apparent. FF7 for example isn't much less liniar then FF13, the only points where it breaks is the fort condor mini game and if you go and let Yuffie steal your materia. Other then that the path through the story is very straight forward and theres nothing to be had thats not on your path anyways. From the time you get the airship > the time you finish is about the same ammount of stuff on the side as FF13.

Next on my list of old games is FF6 or Arc the Lad(1) so will see how that goes.
By Quiznor 2012-10-14 11:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leon Kasai said: »
If you can complete everything in 13 in 20 hours, I think you deserve a medal. I'd never be able to blow through the story and beat all 64 Cie'th Stones in such a short time.

I didnt 100% it,I've done almost all of the stones except for maybe 6 or 8.Havent bothered will all achievements,but alot of them came naturally as I was levelling and ***for some of the stones.I didnt feel the game was worth my time to 100% in every way
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-10-14 11:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

What time is that dude gonna jump, anyone know?
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2012-10-14 11:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's time to replace Valverde as the closing pitcher after last night's game...Delmon Young for the win though, holy ***!
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-10-14 11:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »

Taken almost an hour and a half to reach 80,000 feet out of 120,000, so I'd estimate around 35-40 minutes.
By Fyyvoaa 2012-10-14 12:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »

Taken almost an hour and a half to reach 80,000 feet out of 120,000, so I'd estimate around 35-40 minutes.

sounds about right, depends on when the balloon actually stops though so it could be 120,000 or 130,000 feet.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-10-14 12:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Imagine if he lost his nerve and was like NOPE NOT COMING OUT.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-10-14 12:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Jump jump jump I'm getting bored!
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-10-14 12:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Imagine if he lost his nerve and was like NOPE NOT COMING OUT.
I feel like alot of people are watching this the same way people watch nascar races not for the race but hopping for crashes XD
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2012-10-14 12:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If his parachute doesn't function properly and he splats on the ground, will they show it?
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-10-14 12:05:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
If his parachute doesn't function properly and he splats on the ground, will they show it?

I expect he will leave a dent at those speeds >.>
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2012-10-14 12:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

That's more of an American crater though.
[+]
MSPaint Winner
By Leonkasai 2012-10-14 12:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
Don't forget that FF9 was so short, the developers expected people to finish it in under 12 hours; they even added a reward for it.

Also, play FF6. Great story. :3
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-10-14 12:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget that FF9 was so short, the developers expected people to finish it in under 12 hours; they even added a reward for it.

6 imho has the second best story. I don't think any FF title beats 4's story. Cecil's story of redemption is so awesome.
By Fyyvoaa 2012-10-14 12:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, I can't imagine them showing if he fails, but I would so want to see that.
By Jetackuu 2012-10-14 12:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I just don't see how it's possible while still getting everything, still think it's *** that that game doesn't have a new game+ (somebody needs to hack it in) and hack out the jump rope minigame, stupid JP onry crap.
By Fyyvoaa 2012-10-14 12:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

He's about to jump!!
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-10-14 12:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

That's more of an American crater though.

Lmao >.>
By Artemicion 2012-10-14 12:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk I just don't see what other people see when they talk about older games like they are god compaired to what we have now... I didn't play many games growing up so I've been going back and trying alot lately and I'm not finding anything that makes them any better then what we get now.

I just finished FF4 for example, it took 22 hours and only got killed twice. Story was all right and it was fun to see the first atb (I think right?) but I can't really say it was any better (or worse) then the more recent entries.

Part way through FF5 and I have to go back to that at somepoint but again I havn't been blown away. Chrono trigger I started but nothing was able to keep me at it so it's also on the todo list.

Part of the problem is we are now more mature as gamers than we used to be. Challanges that before would have given us problems we can solve no problem now and the same goes for boss fights. We have seen so many storys and known so many characters that we can't help but find the similarities and call them repeats or pick apart a character because they don't appear to be what we want them to be. I love FF7, 8, Legend of Dragoon etc, but as soon as I step away from the nostalga factor the flaws in the argument of them being better then current games becomes apparent. FF7 for example isn't much less liniar then FF13, the only points where it breaks is the fort condor mini game and if you go and let Yuffie steal your materia. Other then that the path through the story is very straight forward and theres nothing to be had thats not on your path anyways. From the time you get the airship > the time you finish is about the same ammount of stuff on the side as FF13.

Next on my list of old games is FF6 or Arc the Lad(1) so will see how that goes.

In the end, it really all comes down to semantics and what games contain elements that an individual player finds particularly enjoyable, or memorable. For me, it just so happens that older games were particularly more interesting, developed, and memorable. If we were to ignore the eye of the beholder and critically analyze each and every RPG from then to now, we probably would come across many similarities both in flaws and virtues alike. But doing that kind of takes away from the whole underlying purpose of playing an RPG. It's grandiose escapism set in a fictional world that you get to explore and discover behind the eyes of someone new each time.

To scrutinize any game with over analyzed critical criticism takes away more and more from what a game should do in the first place. Yet at the same time, lingering in one's rose tinted nostalgia glasses leaves little room to improve or even accept things for the future, which is equally if not more so detrimental to the game industry. Ideally, somewhere in the middle is an ideal position to take on old and modern games. A great deal of respect and fundamental enjoyment for games of old, and a mutual acceptance of how things have changed and shaped to the modern world of wide demographs of gaming, yet critical enough to recognize flaws and knowing how and where they can be improved.

With all that said, I still recommend:
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
FF4-9 & Tactics
Earthbound
Lufia 1 & 2
Secret of Evermore
Golden Sun
Dragon Quest/Warrior (depending on regionization)
Breath of Fire series
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Tales of Phantasia
Secret of Mana
Illusion of Gaia
Fire Emblem series
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-10-14 12:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Catnipthief Rygar said: »
He's about to jump!!

*bites nails*
MSPaint Winner
By Leonkasai 2012-10-14 12:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I just don't see how it's possible while still getting everything
Only way is to leave the game on long enough that the play time runs over maximum and resets.
Otherwise, you have to skip every side-quest and missable item in the game just to barely make it in time. Using some kind of glitch to skip the cutscenes is recommended, too.
By Artemicion 2012-10-14 12:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »

6 imho has the second best story. I don't think any FF title beats 4's story. Cecil's story of redemption is so awesome.

I'm glad the reboot did it some justice, because when I played the original (FF2 regionization), I kept telling myself how much more amazing this game would be if it had the capacity for putting everything on a slightly more elevated scale, especially with dialog.
It was like polishing a gemstone, you know it was still beautiful and valuable despite the initial appearance, but when cut, refined, and polished, it reached it's true potential in beauty.

Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-10-14 12:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice analogy and all, but I really did like the original as it was. The PS1 remake kept it the exact same, but added a dash button (which was great) and I *** HATED the DS remake of FF4.
By Artemicion 2012-10-14 13:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice analogy and all, but I really did like the original as it was. The PS1 remake kept it the exact same, but added a dash button (which was great) and I *** HATED the DS remake of FF4.

I have to admit, the DS version was... awkward, yet well presented.
However, I find the PSP version to be the best because it touches up everything without altering the core of the game at hand, and even leaving the option of keeping the unaltered soundtrack in all of it's retro glory.

Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-10-14 13:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the PS1 version wasn't really that different than the SNES. I only remember the dash button added (and the "extras" you unlock for beating it or w/e like the soundtrack and stuff). The DS remake was ***... It added entire scenes to the game, and those new abilities pissed me off. The original game didn't need them, so the newest version definitely should not have. I didn't even like the updated graphics. Rydia looked like a 15yr old stripper at the end of the game...wtf
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-10-14 13:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

He's about to jump!!

*bites nails*
He would make an awesome dragoon.
MSPaint Winner
By Leonkasai 2012-10-14 13:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't even like the updated graphics. Rydia looked like a 15yr old stripper at the end of the game...wtf
That's not a problem exclusive to the DS's updated graphics; it's how she was designed. :I
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-10-14 13:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

He's about to jump!!

*bites nails*

Lmao oh you.

That was cool :D I hope they upload the suit camera footage soon!
By Quiznor 2012-10-14 13:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

NEW WALKING DEAD TONIGHT!!!!!

FFFFUUUUU at not being able to stay up and download it because I started on fixing my *** sleep last night >_<
By Fyyvoaa 2012-10-14 13:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

He's about to jump!!

*bites nails*

Lmao oh you.

That was cool :D I hope they upload the suit camera footage soon!

holy crap yes that would be awesome :o

***was crazy lol, that moment before he jumped off had me at the edge of my seat lol.
First Page 2 3 ... 7562 7563 7564 ... 22715 22716 22717