Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22667 22668 22669 ... 22701 22702 22703
By Afania 2024-08-05 07:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
The guy that runs Open AI is a shyster / salesman, he is a liar and he is good at selling something to people who have limited understanding of what he is selling them

Can you quote the statement that he made about AI technology that is objectively false?

To my knowledge how AI functions aren't some kind of hidden secret . It takes 15 sec of Google search to know exactly how AI works from dozens of articles explaining it.

What do you mean by "people who have limited understanding"? This information is available everywhere on the internet lol.

Quote:
It's not artificial intelligence, it's code that is designed and trained by users to mimic and fool the reader into thinking it's more than it is. It uses billions of posts (including stuff many of us have written) on the internet, from reddit forums, facebook etc to come across as sounding realistic but it's not real.

That does not make AI a lie.....

Google the difference between AI and AGI. No one has marketed AI as AGI. Calling AI "AI" is marketing AI as it is.

If they call their technology "AGI" that would be lying. Open AI didn't do that though.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-08-05 07:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure about OpenAI management, but there is definitely a considerable portion of consumers who believe LLMs are actually intelligent and 'understand' what they output. The amount of people who recognize that they are just using pattern recognition to fill in the blanks and are not really 'artificial intelligence' is comparatively small.
By Afania 2024-08-05 07:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Not sure about OpenAI management, but there is definitely a considerable portion of consumers who believe LLMs are actually intelligent and 'understand' what they output. The amount of people who recognize that they are just using pattern recognition to fill in the blanks and are not really 'artificial intelligence' is comparatively small.

See my edited post above. What you people are saying is AGI not AI.

No one has marketed their AI technology as AGI afaik. This is not cheating imo.

If they say chatGPT is AGI THAT would be lying. Who has said that exactly?

Edit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_general_intelligence

Here is a link that explains the difference between AI and AGI. They are not the same.

Calling chatGPT AI (but not AGI) is an absolutely correct term afaik.
By mhomho 2024-08-05 08:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Got a sudden craving for Key Lime Pie.
[+]
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-08-05 10:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

The problem is not necessary them saying "this is artificial general intelligence" the problem is the public definitions of AI (meaning the one your grandma thinks when you say it) is conflated with AGI. We call all sorts of "AGI" characters in sci-fi "AI" and that shapes the public's expectation of the context when that term is used.

Just because these individuals incorrectly understand the meaning of "AI" doesn't mean people are not knowingly taking advantage of that misunderstanding and then hoping people like yourself will stand up for them in a very "um actually" kind of way.

In a world where people can sue a company for an advertisement where at truck flies around as false advertisement of the vehicles capabilities (this is why we have silly disclaimers under these types of ads now), it is not inconceivable that they could sue over something like this as false advertisement as well.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-08-05 10:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

AI is just an umbrella term.

AGI is just a concept.

Technicalities that per se doesnt mean much, or can mean anything.

Using technical words to sell a product is the oldest trick in the book for marketing, and I dont think its objectivelly wrong per se.

At least it incentivates people to understand better those things, and use better parameters to decide if something is worth buying or not.

Regardless, there are many shades of truth before we enter in the factual false.

But its common sense at this point never trust anyones words to the letter, because everything has a bias.

And people who cant understand such basic fact, most likely will happily pay for an "AGI" for an "AI", and love it, anyway
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-08-05 11:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If a TV magician comes upto you after doing slight of hand tricks and says "If you give me a billion dollars, surely I will unlock real magic abilities and turn into gandalf" maybe don't give him your life savings.

Similarly if companies that make fake AI and that blatantly misrepresent it to the public for money, don't believe their lies.

Open AI talking about AGI is "any day now, we are on the verge of a breakthrough! keep investing! this is the next big thing and you wouldn't want to miss out would you?!"

Altman is a conman, which is why he is still there. They want a conman leading the company cause over promising and the greed of rich people is a match made in heaven.
By Afania 2024-08-05 11:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »

The problem is not necessary them saying "this is artificial general intelligence" the problem is the public definitions of AI (meaning the one your grandma thinks when you say it) is conflated with AGI. We call all sorts of "AGI" characters in sci-fi "AI" and that shapes the public's expectation of the context when that term is used.

Just because these individuals incorrectly understand the meaning of "AI" doesn't mean people are not knowingly taking advantage of that misunderstanding and then hoping people like yourself will stand up for them in a very "um actually" kind of way.

In a world where people can sue a company for an advertisement where at truck flies around as false advertisement of the vehicles capabilities (this is why we have silly disclaimers under these types of ads now), it is not inconceivable that they could sue over something like this as false advertisement as well.

To be fair, the term "AI" has been used this way WAY before language model become a thing. When all it could do was playing chess people called it AI. In old games like Dragon quest 3 when computers control your companions people called it AI.

This term has always been used to describe pattern based machine decisions. Irl it was never used to describe AGI that we see in sci-fi movies.

If we can't call it AI what term should we use? I don't think it is fair to accuse people for deceiving if they call pattern based machine decisions AI. It's the same term that we've been using since 1980s.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-08-05 11:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Afania 2024-08-05 11:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Open AI talking about AGI is "any day now, we are on the verge of a breakthrough! keep investing! this is the next big thing and you wouldn't want to miss out would you?!"

Give me an example of exact statement that they made that is impossible to accomplish objectively.

Just saying "this is breakthrough!" or "this this future" is not lying. Because this kind of statement is subjective and not verifiable, which can be interpreted in any way.

A statement that can be objectively wrong is something like "in 5 years our tech can replace 99% of employees" or something like that. That kind of statement is verifiable and it has a high chance to be wrong.

So far I haven't seen any unverifiable statements from Open AI. If they made such statement before, quote it. Otherwise it is not convincing to say they are lying if all they ever said was something as vague as "this technology is future!"
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-08-05 12:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair, the term "AI" has been used this way WAY before language model become a thing. When all it could do was playing chess people called it AI. In old games like Dragon quest 3 when computers controls your companions people called it AI.

This term has always been used to describe pattern based machine decisions. Irl it was never used to describe AGI that we see in sci-fi movies.

If we can't call it AI what term should we use? I don't think it is fair to accuse people for deceiving if they call pattern based machine decisions AI. It's the same term that we've been using since 1980s.

Call it what it is, Narrow AI, but that makes it small and lame and not as marketable. But if you want to defend it as they didn't call it "AGI" then we should call it by an equally specific term like narrow AI. It is not some crazy tool that can solve any and all problems it simply spits out language based on input language, that is the narrow scope of it's knowledge.

Is that narrow scope exaptable? yes it is very exaptable! Its knowledge base can be tailored to support different use cases, but that is just dialing in the narrow scope to a users goals.

I have often heard people say "but its not TRUE AI" which again points to that break in the technical terms meaning and the public opinion meaning. Often that is in reference to video game enemy movements or speech recognition
[+]
By Afania 2024-08-05 12:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
Call it what it is, Narrow AI, but that makes it small and lame and not as marketable

The name itself has nothing to do with marketing.

The term AI was invented in 1956 by John McCarthy. At that time the term simply meant "the science and engineering of making intelligent machines."

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=53c07e78-9c4d-4666-ad36-4dec948efb76

The modern definition of "narrow AI", "AGI" etc came after that, when this subject became a lot more complicated. The original term "artificial intelligence" wasn't invented for marketing purpose by business person. It was made by scientists and engineers.

AI is also an umbrella term that includes narrow AI and AGI. So calling narrow AI just "AI" is still correct. (Calling narrow AI "AGI" is incorrect however)

Calling it AI is not some kind of marketing scheme. It's simply a scientific term that's been used since 1956.

I think you people are calling it marketing lies ONLY after AI made tons of money. No one had problems with this term in 1960 when it wasn't making tons of money. But now people have problem with the term only after it made money? Doesn't make sense to me.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-08-05 13:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If we can't call it AI what term should we use?

To be accurate? Chatbot, image generator etc

That wouldn't make it a billion dollar industry though, so you need to fool people.
By Afania 2024-08-05 13:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

If we can't call it AI what term should we use?

To be accurate? Chatbot, image generator etc

That wouldn't make it a billion dollar industry though, so you need to fool people.

Chatbot, image generator etc is product type.

AI is technology field that supported the functionality of a product.

They are not even in the same category, those terms aren't even interchangeable.

You can't replace the term AI(technology) with "chatbot(product)", like how you can't replace solar powered(technology) with car(product type) for solar powered cars.

If someone misunderstood what AI is, it is their own problem. But asking for term change only because some people misunderstood? This is ridiculous lol.
[+]
By Afania 2024-08-05 13:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I think people are mad that Open AI made money, so they decided to find a scapegoat for this. Even if the term AI itself has no problem.

You are blaming on the wrong thing in the whole business. It is not the term "AI" that's siphoning money. It's just words. It's the actual functionality of current gen AI that's siphoning money.

You are missing the forest for trees if you think open AI is making tons of money only because they use an old term from 1956 to sell their products lol. If this term is so powerful at selling products why wasn't it being used for marketing decades ago?

Because the term doesn't matter. It's the functionality that matters. The reason why open AI is making money is because current gen AI is much more powerful functionality wise. That's all there is.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-08-05 15:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

mhomho said: »
Key Lime Pie is like my favorite dessert.
[+]
 Asura.Toeknee
user: Darksyn
By Asura.Toeknee 2024-08-05 16:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

All these companies know this is not AI, but it's caught on and it making so much money from investment that everyone is doing it too.

Just invest in the companies invested in AI and profit along with everyone else *shrug*
 Fenrir.Richybear
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2024-08-05 16:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Throw all your money in Enron. It'll be meme'd back like GME
[+]
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Server: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-08-05 17:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
mhomho said: »
Key Lime Pie is like my favorite dessert.
that fancy restaurent I mentioned last week oh my gosh, they make a creme brulee cheesecake that is death itself. heaven
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-08-05 17:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I think people are mad that Open AI made money, so they decided to find a scapegoat for this. Even if the term AI itself has no problem.

You are blaming on the wrong thing in the whole business. It is not the term "AI" that's siphoning money. It's just words. It's the actual functionality of current gen AI that's siphoning money.

You are missing the forest for trees if you think open AI is making tons of money only because they use an old term from 1956 to sell their products lol. If this term is so powerful at selling products why wasn't it being used for marketing decades ago?

Because the term doesn't matter. It's the functionality that matters. The reason why open AI is making money is because current gen AI is much more powerful functionality wise. That's all there is.

People are investing so much money not because of what it is, but because of what they think it will be (this is where the AGI gaslighting comes in). They are trying to throw money in BEFORE it blows up so they can 100x it.

The problem is the hype they are seeing out there isn't real, it's all a load of BS.

For a while they were trying to scaremonger and feed into the fear from the public, because that built hype it was actual AI and they knew it's not. They also keep pushing the "her" movie around in various ways.

The problem with the stock market is everyone wants to get rich and find the next paypal or whatever, and when you have that situation you have a lot of predators taking advantage of it.
 Asura.Toeknee
user: Darksyn
By Asura.Toeknee 2024-08-05 18:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

You seem to hate and have some conspiratorial hot take on every topic that gets brought up here. I don't know how you have the energy to be skeptical of quite literally everything
By RadialArcana 2024-08-05 18:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toeknee said: »
You seem to hate and have some conspiratorial hot take on every topic that gets brought up here. I don't know how you have the energy to be skeptical of quite literally everything

It's fun to me.
[+]
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Server: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-08-05 18:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

By Pantafernando 2024-08-05 18:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

FF13 finished after so many years.

New skin unlocked.

[+]
By Sakinah79 2024-08-05 19:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Been waiting over 24 years to get to see one of my fav mutants in action.

This will do for now...
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2024-08-05 19:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Example of what AI can't do.

In Seattle there is a bakery that is fully automated. Been around for 30 or 40 years. There are five (5) humans on every shift. three on baking, 2 on wrapping. Most of the time they stand around and do nothing.

When the ***or the bread dough hits the fan the factory mostly shuts down and the humans actually work fixing whatever went wrong and cleaning up the mess.

No AI of any description can do that now. Nor can AI improve the process.

I don't know if they even use computers as most of the processes can be done by high voltage reed relay logic switches. That's like 440v 3 phase. (That THAT PNP junctions.) I would bet that computers are involved though.

It makes one product only. McDonald's hamburger buns. IDK which size.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-08-05 22:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The entire second season of house of the dragon consisting of 30 pages of one book, is certainly a choice. lol (Season 1 covered 80 or so)

It's nice to get a lot more than the book gives (a literal history book, with zero depth) But that's stretching a bit too hard.

I mean like, season 3 is gonna be a banger, but 2024 doesn't care about how good 2026 will be lol.
By Afania 2024-08-06 00:30:03
Link | Quote | Reply

People are investing so much money not because of what it is, but because of what they think it will be (this is where the AGI gaslighting comes in). They are trying to throw money in BEFORE it blows up so they can 100x it.

But that's how it should be, though. You invest in a technology with potential to grow. Whether it works or not is investor's problem. The rest of people just enjoy the benefit of technology advancement.

I fail to see the problem.

I mean if you are skeptical about the technology, you can choose not to invest. Then if this technology fails you don't lose money. So why do you even care?

God forbid other people wants to see this technology grow lol.

The problem is the hype they are seeing out there isn't real, it's all a load of BS.

The only problem here is "I don't like what I am seeing here so it is a problem".

There are no real problems with AI technology. Plenty of people are already using chatGPT daily at work, so the benefit is real.

It's a silly thing to say chatGPT technology is not real if it is already an integral part of many people's daily life.

If AI bubble bursted it is just stock marketing behaving normally too. People losing money in stock market is not a "problem", it's part of being in the stock market.

The only problem is people getting mad for absolutely no reason lol.
By Zehira 2024-08-06 01:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The only problem is people getting mad for absolutely no reason lol.

Yeah, getting mad at FFXIAH is the most fun thing to do...

This is why FFXI is truly dying.
By Pantafernando 2024-08-06 01:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Good morning you who have Artificial Intelligence. Good morning you have Real Intelligence. And good morning you who dont have any Intelligence at all.

Sometimes (or most of times) the less you know, the happier you can be.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 22667 22668 22669 ... 22701 22702 22703