Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22662 22663 22664 ... 22700 22701 22702
By RadialArcana 2024-07-27 16:47:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Every version of windows is intentionally worse than the last since 10, I hate 10 as it is I dunno how anyone can put up with 11.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2024-07-27 17:16:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Panta: drink water

Heated debate ensues
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-07-27 18:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Every version of windows is intentionally worse than the last since 10, I hate 10 as it is I dunno how anyone can put up with 11.
Ok, gonna take this opportunity to ask what's wrong with it?
(I have been asking this question since 98, all I get is "It sux bro")

I'm being sincere btw. Besides blahblahprivacy whats the big horrible of it?
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-07-27 19:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Panta: drink water

Heated debate ensues

Tomorrow topic is: dont eat eggs.

Look forward to it.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-07-27 19:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »

Change is bad. It's mostly the UI, new UI is always gross and takes time to get used to. 10 toolbar comfy, 11 toolbar is weird and apple-adjacent

The right click thing, is insanely stupid.

Windows 8 UI was *** atrocious. 11 is fantastic by comparison, no issues (yet) Right-click was a literal 10 second fix.

10 was a miserable pile of ***trying to get XI (and associated programs) to work

Now that 11 is like 2 years old all the bugs are worked out and everything started up zero issues.

Another fresh complaint; the file scroll bars are so damn thin
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2024-07-27 19:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Its always like that. Or at least people think its always like that.

Many, including myself, stuck with MSDOS until Win 95 or even later.
By Pantafernando 2024-07-27 19:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »

First thing about W10 to W11 is a shift in Microsofts paradigm.

W10 and before, they were still in a traditional model of a self contained product.

W11 is supposed to be the last "numbered" version, and slowing trying to move from the traditional licensing to a subscription model, when supposelly you gonna need to keep paying yearly for the important update (feature and security ones).

Leaving alone the questionable Microsoft plans for the future and only looking for W11, the first complain is that W11 was developed considering a pretty good hardware. Many not too old computer and notebook would be below Microsoft recommended stats. That could explain some relatively old notebooks perfoming badly with W11.

Regarding the builtin tools that comes with W11, its also questionable how they have been "improving" many of them disruptively. They could make a soft transition but no. They are simply bombing traditional tools and replacing it with a more convoluted version of it. Just to mention a few, for example the traditional Paint now comes with a sets derived from profissional digital drawing like layers, many types of pens. Its nice, but who are they targeting? Professionals wont ever use Paint for their work. Casuals will need to undertake a unexpected learning curve to make random sketches on Paint? Playing with layers is pretty confusing for people that never messed with that.

Printscreen feature is other that they messed. Something were nice, like partial captures, though they leveraged the capture tool in the printscreen feature. Idk if because of that, but the performance of printscreen plummeted heavily, at least on my hardware. Before it was instantly capture, now it takes 3 to 4 seconds to startup the printscreen, and even after that, at least 1 sec to actually execute. It seems nothing, but for someone taking screenshots of videos, is a very huge pain in the ***.

Saving documents for example. As Microsof goal is to fully integrated to cloud, the default saving option is to do it in OneDrive. But trying to use OneDrive itself also requires a learning curve to correctly use it, because you gonna need internet connection, you gonna need to login in the cloud to check your folder, etc.

So, to sum up, Microsoft have its long term goals, that is based in software with subscriptions and fully integration to the cloud. Many recent introductions were made to make more "interesting" to adopt subscription based software, and to leverage cloud capabilities. The cons of that is a lot of learning curves being forcefully shoved in the endusers despite they never asked for cloud or subscription.

Cloud and subscriptions are ok for enterprise context. For home users, they are used to decades of traditional model. Obviously they wont like it because the new model isnt actually "better" to the traditional ones for endusers.

Its surely better to Microsoft that can sell basically the same product to both enterprise and home users
[+]
By Afania 2024-07-28 02:03:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I have used win 95, 98, XP, vista, 7, 10, 11. Personally I like 10 significantly more than earlier versions. However the change from 10 to 11 isn't significant enough for me to have stronger opinion on it.

It is easier to do factory reset in win 10 than previous versions, and disabling usb auto run feature is also a very useful update in the newer OS.

I still remember back in 2007 or so, using USB to send files between computers gave me heart attack everytime because malware were everywhere back then. And yet usb was quite necessary back then since cloud storage wasn't a thing at that time.

Newer OS has fixed that problem later so it is way less likely to get malware from using USB anymore. This is pretty big QoL imo.

For everything else, I bet all the newer OS hate came from "whoa my old games no longer work in newer OS". But I prefer console games so it is not a big deal to me.

Edit: actually, there is one feature that I like in 11 more than older versions: snipping tool auto save. I use snipping tool a lot, ever since I used snipping tool in 11 I can't go back to 10 nor older versions anymore. Older version ones just feel worse.
By Pantafernando 2024-07-28 02:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Good morning you who drink water. And also you who drink coffee. Also you who drink coke. And you who only drink vodka.

At least, eat your veggies
By mhomho 2024-07-28 03:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

By Pantafernando 2024-07-28 03:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

At least there is an opportunity to develop new user centric OS to the market.

Its up to companies to bring something that surely have demand.

The lack of real competition is what allows Microsoft to do what they wish to their clients
By Pantafernando 2024-07-28 04:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

In a three sides deathmatch, whats the best option?

- the 2 strongest to pair up to finish the weakest then make it a 1v1
- pairing with the weakest to beat the strongest or the second strongest
By Afania 2024-07-28 04:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

so Valve (these mega companies all work together) instigated a fear tactic that Steam would cease to work and they would lose their library of games (they don't even play) and they had a countdown on the top of the screen for months in bright red.

It isn't fair to accuse software service providers for "working with MS" if they choose not to support older OS or other OS.

It cost you money to maintain software on different OS, that includes older OS. That's why software service providers will drop support on older OS as userbase decrease. It's money problem, nothing more and nothing less.

You just want things work your way and disregard other people's convenience, geez.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-07-28 05:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

Depends on your level of deception. You should team up with the weakest, they're easier to 1v1, but if you team up with the strongest, you let them kill the weakest and stab them in the back while he does it.

The whole context matters, whos smarter not just stronger. What if you get teamed up on, can you debate your way into betrayal.
By Pantafernando 2024-07-28 05:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It was a scene in a manga, where it was a survival of the fit-like training, where there were 3 guys and one parachute.

In that context, what happened is that the weakest hide leaving the 2 strongest to kill themselves, and maybe the weak could pull out the win if it was an even match.
By Kaffy 2024-07-28 05:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

So the actual complaints about Win 11 boil down to some UI changes being disliked and vague generalizations about hardware requirements. The issues people care about are privacy and ownership which have nothing to do with how the operating system runs.

Microsoft is certainly not blameless and definitely has a lot of big brother issues, but not liking the company for its business strategy doesn't really answer the question of whether or not the product itself is any good.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-07-28 06:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember a cut-scene from XI where the Yagudo forced the mithra to fight each other to the death, cause they were threatening to kill the children they were caring for.

They all died and they killed them anyway.

Kaffy said: »
So the actual complaints about Win 11 boil down to some UI changes being disliked and vague generalizations about hardware requirements. The issues people care about are privacy and ownership which have nothing to do with how the operating system runs.

Microsoft is certainly not blameless and definitely has a lot of big brother issues, but not liking the company for its business strategy doesn't really answer the question of whether or not the product itself is any good.

So why do you think 11 better than 10 or 7?
By Pantafernando 2024-07-28 06:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember a cut-scene from XI where the Yagudo forced the mithra to fight each other to the death, cause they were threatening to kill the children they were caring for.

They all died and they killed them anyway.

What scene is that? FFXI doesnt that that many heavy scenes, I would remember that.

Maybe some WotG related quest? I think that expansion is kinda more mature than the others that were more family friend ones.
By Pantafernando 2024-07-28 06:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaffy said: »
whether or not the product itself is any good.

You can always think like

Windows Vista = Windows XP + delta1
Windows 7 = Windows Vista + delta2
Windows 8 = Windows 7 + delta3
Windows 10 = Windows 8 + delta4
Windows 11 = Windows 10 + delta5

Now you can ask again. Is delta 5 itself any good?

Personally, I liked most deltas above. Delta 5 so far is barely noticeable in any UX dimension that impacts me.
By RadialArcana 2024-07-28 06:25:38
Link | Quote | Reply

https://youtu.be/iqc_SvIq33k?t=487
By Pantafernando 2024-07-28 06:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it was indeed WotG.

And a Windurst Quest one on top of that.

Given those quests I mostly rushed just for the sake of the capacity points bonus, no wonder I didnt rememeber it.
By Pantafernando 2024-07-28 07:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

At least I reached a point of half decent grinding in FF13.

After 9 chapters, I can finally stop being poor and farm enough to upgrade my weapons
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2024-07-28 09:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Good morning you who drink water. And also you who drink coffee. Also you who drink coke. And you who only drink vodka.

At least, eat your veggies
You forgot tequila.

"Let's you and him fight" then take on the weakened survivor.
By Pantafernando 2024-07-28 09:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like youre more the wine type
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2024-07-28 11:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like youre more the wine type
I drink wine too.
[+]
By Kaffy 2024-07-28 11:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

So why do you think 11 better than 10 or 7?

On systems that struggle to meet minimum requirements 11 actually runs faster because it directs CPU and RAM resources to foreground apps, and you can place limits on apps like web browsers in the task manager. No Skype, Cortana, or OneDrive running in background, although there is Copilot now. Updates are smaller file size in 11, and 10 support ends in Oct. 2025. I've never had the system restart forcefully without my consent to update.

I'm not usually an early adopter and certainly not a Microsoft fanboy, but I do think in 2024 Win 11 is a solid OS and ultimately you're going to be juggling things you like and things you don't between versions no matter what.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-07-28 12:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Chihuahuas arent dogs
By Pantafernando 2024-07-28 12:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Chihuahuas arent dogs

That was a smart move to say before the trial, but I dont think the judges will accept that.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-07-28 12:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Good thing i will be tried amongst a jury of my peers, not a mentally disabled judge.
First Page 2 3 ... 22662 22663 22664 ... 22700 22701 22702