Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22487 22488 22489 ... 22708 22709 22710
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2023-10-23 15:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
2. If you drop your subscription, you immediately lose the plot of land you spent years trying to acquire.
45 days.
[+]
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Server: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2023-10-23 15:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
2. If you drop your subscription, you immediately lose the plot of land you spent years trying to acquire.
45 days.

you two scared me for a second. thinking "holy crap they sure got aggressive, that must be a new change because damn."
By BlackmoreKnight 2023-10-23 16:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
3. Daily chores and peer pressure are both really good at suckering people in.

I definitely encountered way more daily chores in my time in XI trying to maximize my gains every day than are possible to meaningfully do in XIV.

• Sortie

• Odyssey (Be it solo chest farms for gil or an actual run)

• Omen (mostly soloing for crystals for gil for me, and these stack for a couple days to be fair)

• Coalitions (to be fair these stop after 6 months)

• Domain Invasion

• Mog Garden (though again this one ends at some point)

I played about 3 years ago for a year or two with the intent to try and get to and meaningfully contribute to endgame which is probably both a start time (no nostalgia) and goal (to do something other than tour the story) that's different from most new/returning players, for what it's worth.
[+]
MSPaint Winner
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Leonkasai
By Leon Kasai 2023-10-24 11:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell yeah, UC Engage global's first event is the one that got me interested in the game in the first place.

YouTube Video Placeholder

I'm so tempted to pull for Gato and his Dom, but I don't have enough to guarantee them and want to save up for other things too. (y'A')y
Looking forward to getting Shin Matsunaga and his custom Zaku as freebies though.
By Pantafernando 2023-10-24 13:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think funny that one of the differences between the average manga char and the monster is that the later has more realistic teeth.

Somehow its implicit the image of teeth is horrifying
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-10-24 13:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

BlackmoreKnight said: »
Quote:
3. Daily chores and peer pressure are both really good at suckering people in.

I definitely encountered way more daily chores in my time in XI trying to maximize my gains every day than are possible to meaningfully do in XIV.

• Sortie

• Odyssey (Be it solo chest farms for gil or an actual run)

• Omen (mostly soloing for crystals for gil for me, and these stack for a couple days to be fair)

• Coalitions (to be fair these stop after 6 months)

• Domain Invasion

• Mog Garden (though again this one ends at some point)

I played about 3 years ago for a year or two with the intent to try and get to and meaningfully contribute to endgame which is probably both a start time (no nostalgia) and goal (to do something other than tour the story) that's different from most new/returning players, for what it's worth.

Agree. Feels like there's way more ***designed to force you to log in every day in XI than in XIV these days. They absolutely leaned into trying to exploit FOMO hard since it's their main and probably only way of forcing engagement now with lack of cntent updates. I'd say peer pressure is the primary reason I'm still playing at all despite growing nihility about the fact that the game is "content complete", because I know if I leave I'm inconveniencing or *** over the rest of my static who then has to find a permanent replacement for me in content that is annoying to get a new person up to speed in.

Also chanti already said it but you don't just magically lose your house when you unsub. You have 45 days from the last time you entered your house to enter again before triggering auto demolish. This isn't a punishment for unsubbing. This is to stop people who haven't played in god knows how long from squatting on land perpetually and stopping others from buying.

Far as the point about rp is concerned, I can't say that creating a game world where people can enjoy their time for what it is and escape from life is a bad thing. If they enjoy going to a night club and socializing in the game more power to them. I go through wax wane cycles with xiv where I play a patch then go play other things until the next one and that's perfectly fine for me. I don't need nor want a game that consumes my every waking hour that isn't spent working like xi used to be. Granted I absolutely could find goals in xiv to go for like the pvp series or blue mage achievements, other grinds I haven't finished. Just don't want to rn.

Too many good games and experiences that are available both digitally and irl for me to have any inclination to devote my entire life to a single thing.
By Draylo 2023-10-24 14:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont feel forced to do anything, i never understood having "FOMO" when they released content at a crawls pace for years. What incentive is there to be on the bleeding edge... I guess getting to take a break faster? Seems like a good thing always having a goal and something to do.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-10-24 14:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Just because you I or anyone else doesn't fall into FOMO doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's a widely employed and highly effective way to manipulate people into engaging. Events like Sortie are absolutely designed with this in mind. People have recently posted about this and it's true, they want the average Joe to feel like they're *** up if they aren't playing Sortie every day.

Only reason xiv doesn't have the same problem is that doing things like capping weekly tomes or doing your beast tribe dailies has little to no actual consequence unless you're pushing the bleeding edge of a new ultimTe/savage criterion or going for glamours. With xi, progression is so important and protracted that missing days genuinely can add up to weeks or months more time to reach a goal. The game is entirely combat driven with little to nothing in between, and even in the golden age had infrequent story updates. This leads most people to not want to miss those days and thus make no progress in the primary gameplay of XI: gear and character progression.

You can do that in xiv if you want. Personally don't see much point in going for max iLvl most of the time and tend to just clear the fights to experience them and then maybe farm the pieces that I think look cool. Others will go a step beyond and "make their own fun" with the tools that xiv gives for social experiences. Even back when rp LS existed they were extremely niche and hardly anyone even knew about them, xi never really embraced that turbocasual social aspect like xiv does and that's where a lot of the longevity for xiv does and will continue to come from. Goes back to the days of ever quest being one of the first online chat rooms that happened to also have a game attached. It's appealing to a lot of people and for them it's enough.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-10-24 18:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

FOMO DEEZ NUTS!

Seriously though, FOMO exists in any social space and is brought about by the social space itself.

Like why do people care how far they progress with Sortie and Primes? What do they get you outside of faster kills?

It was the same thing in older eras. Byakko's Haidate? Great piece. But a ton of people that wanted them only wanted it, because everyone raved about it. Some people after getting them full timed them as a piece, even when their WS had no DEX mod and were single hit.

But this type of thing isn't just related to powerful pieces. If customization in appearance is a thing, and any one thing gets regarded as the widespread coolest armor piece then...

People get FOMO for style lock/glam items too.

It happens a ***ton in XIV. People complain all the way to the bank about having to buy emotes per character and mounts and outfits, but they do anyway, because they have to compared their modded glammed up *** butt Au Ras to their Oomfies' and feel like they belong.

So XIV does have the same problem, just in another vein. RP and ERP venues? Well, if you don't have MARE mod program in these times, good luck. Want to RP something outside of the current trending character backstory? Well, again, good luck. Last I looked it was privateer.

As outrageous as game systems can become, playerbase driven FOMO is always worse, but the truly bad thing is they often team up with each other for the ultimate crossover event.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-10-24 22:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Seeing so many negative reviews for 16 popping up recently on youtube, interesting
[+]
By mhomho 2023-10-25 05:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Seeing so many negative reviews for 16 popping up recently on youtube, interesting

It's because you watched one. That's why when someone goes down a rabbit hole it feels like they get lost (like the alt right pipeline). Person watches video from Tim Pool, suddenly their feed is full of Tim Pool and next thing we know Nick Fuentes is popping up. It all started with watching that Joe Rogan clip or that episode of the Flagrant podcast.

Oh you watched a video about Yu-gi-oh cards? Whole feed full of it now.
[+]
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2023-10-25 06:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

mhomho said: »
Draylo said: »

It's because you watched one. That's why when someone goes down a rabbit hole it feels like they get lost (like the alt right pipeline). Person watches video from Tim Pool, suddenly their feed is full of Tim Pool and next thing we know Nick Fuentes is popping up. It all started with watching that Joe Rogan clip or that episode of the Flagrant podcast.

Oh you watched a video about Yu-gi-oh cards? Whole feed full of it now.
The Algorithm is your friend. Trust The Algorithm.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-10-25 08:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick, watch some videos about dogs to defeat the algorithm
 Asura.Rekcuf
Server: Asura
user: ashcrow
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-10-25 12:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys i think i have stumbled on the Greatest power Metal Album of all time

Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-10-25 12:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hype
By Pantafernando 2023-10-25 16:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny how some items go unnoticed.

I just saw in front page Setan Kober.

And i wondering wtf is this.

Turns out its DNC Su5.

I swear i never even read this name before. And i looked the Su5s page before
By mhomho 2023-10-25 17:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't feel bad Fernando. People can't even recognize me when I wear my hair down if they're used to seeing me with it up all the time.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2023-10-25 17:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

They released the Digimon 02 - The Beginning opening cinematic.

I'm watching this and I'm wondering if 01 + 03-Tri is meant to be a separate timeline from 02 + 02-The Beginning. I'm not Digimon hardcore fan but something feels off with the fact the Digimon are here in the 02 sequel but weren't present in the 01 sequel.

Maybe I'm just being too over analytical and dense about it, heh.
By Draylo 2023-10-25 18:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably, they are almost never consistent on a lot of the lore and things related to Digimon. I am probably one of the biggest fans and that has been my #1 gripe with the series, I hate how they are super inconsistent with the naming schemes too. They probably didn't plan to do this movie that long back and then decided to do it after tri and just adjust for that.

I managed to drag someone with me to see it on one of the days in times sq. They probably won't use any of the cool songs from the dub :(
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2023-10-25 19:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
turbocasual
What's that?

Asura.Vyre said: »
FOMO exists in any social space and is brought about by the social space itself
While peer pressure plays a part in FOMO (unavoidable in many cases and has to be dealt with "internally" by the individual), I think the kind of FOMO Porthescar was specifically talking about was one where time restraints are employed by the devs (by making the content available for a limited time, or by time-gating progression) to create a sense of urgency (leading to anxiety). These are deliberate, and easy to implmenet, which makes them vile & vicious.

Leon Kasai said: »
Gato
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2023-10-25 21:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Around 10 Percent Of The Internet Is Encrypted Via Lava Lamps
A wall of around 100 lava lamps is keeping your data safe.

[+]
By Dodik 2023-10-25 21:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

74% of statistics are made up.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-10-25 21:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

AHS Delicate is absolute garbage, man I am struggling to finish this one. This might be the nail in the coffin for AHS, I loved all the other ones even some that were meh.
MSPaint Winner
By Leon Kasai 2023-10-25 21:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
They released the Digimon 02 - The Beginning opening cinematic.

I'm watching this and I'm wondering if 01 + 03-Tri is meant to be a separate timeline from 02 + 02-The Beginning. I'm not Digimon hardcore fan but something feels off with the fact the Digimon are here in the 02 sequel but weren't present in the 01 sequel.

Maybe I'm just being too over analytical and dense about it, heh.
They're insistent that it's all one timeline, regardless of how little that makes sense right now. On the bright side, that means the dumpster fire that was Kizuna can be safely ignored since the kids get their Digimon back at some point because 02's epilogue still happens.

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Leon Kasai said: »
Gato
Still one of my favourite openings. Both the Japanese and English versions.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-10-25 23:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Around 10 Percent Of The Internet Is Encrypted Via Lava Lamps
A wall of around 100 lava lamps is keeping your data safe.
I miss my lava lamp. I had one of those as well as a glitter lamp.

Great, now I'm really nostalgic.

By Pantafernando 2023-10-26 02:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Dodik said: »
74% of statistics are made up.

93.38% of statistics are just numbers throw at random.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-10-26 08:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wow, it didn't take long for Micro$oft to abuse the hell out of their new acquisition.

Microsoft Jacks Up Some Activision Game Prices As Much As 2402% On Steam

(Excerpt) Some of the most egregious price increases include older games in the Call of Duty series, as well as classic PC titles from ten or twenty years ago. Black Ops II and III increased in price by a factor of 24x, from 999 ARS all the way up to 24,000 Argentinian Pesos. Incredibly, that makes these games even more expensive in Argentina ($68.57 USD) than they are currently in the US ($59.99) despite that the median yearly income in .AR is less than one-seventh that of the United States.
MSPaint Winner
By Leon Kasai 2023-10-26 08:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn, Bandai Namco have put out a survey for GBO2 asking what people want to see from shows outside the Universal Century. I suppose it had to happen eventually if they want to keep the game going; they're already dipping into some pretty obscure side-stories for new MS as it is.
I listed basically all the mass-produced suits and their variants from Gundam Wing. I just want my Leo and Tallgeese. >_>;

EDIT: Hahaha! I got it for free from the tickets given out by the event! Would be perfect if I could pull Gato the same way lmao.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-10-27 01:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wow, it didn't take long for Micro$oft to abuse the hell out of their new acquisition.

Microsoft Jacks Up Some Activision Game Prices As Much As 2402% On Steam

(Excerpt) Some of the most egregious price increases include older games in the Call of Duty series, as well as classic PC titles from ten or twenty years ago. Black Ops II and III increased in price by a factor of 24x, from 999 ARS all the way up to 24,000 Argentinian Pesos. Incredibly, that makes these games even more expensive in Argentina ($68.57 USD) than they are currently in the US ($59.99) despite that the median yearly income in .AR is less than one-seventh that of the United States.

Legitimate question that will sound like I'm just being an ***- but why should a company care about the median income differences between nations vs the price of goods, at least in the direction these comments imply?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-10-27 07:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
Legitimate question that will sound like I'm just being an ***- but why should a company care about the median income differences between nations vs the price of goods, at least in the direction these comments imply?
A fair point. It is a luxury after all.
First Page 2 3 ... 22487 22488 22489 ... 22708 22709 22710