Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 20417 20418 20419 ... 22718 22719 22720
VIP
By Kalila 2016-12-20 08:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

eslim said: »
finally got bored enough and watched westworld- meh but worth a watch.
You're crazy, that show has so many good twists and secrets that make their reveal along the way. Incredibly smart show.
By Faelar 2016-12-20 08:34:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The Square-Enix Holiday Surprise Box was decent this year.

GOETIA
LEGACY OF KAIN: SOUL REAVER
LEGACY OF KAIN: SOUL REAVER 2
HITMAN INTRO PACK
HITMAN GO: DEFINITIVE EDITION
TOMB RAIDER: UNDERWORLD
20% Off Next Purchase (Digital Catalog Games Only, exclude Preorder) - (usable 1 time)
50% Off HITMAN Upgrade Pack [PC Download] - (usable 1 time)
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-20 08:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Westworld is my spirit show.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-12-20 08:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Vyrerus
By Vicious Zvahl 2016-12-20 09:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking forward to this!
[+]
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2016-12-20 09:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

That ones the primal I assume.
Forum Moderator
By Vicious Zvahl 2016-12-20 09:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
That ones the primal I assume.
It's Demon, baby!

[+]
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2016-12-20 09:50:39
Link | Quote | Reply

One day I'll go back and play more FF6... one day.
Forum Moderator
By Vicious Zvahl 2016-12-20 09:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

One day I'll go back and play more FF6... one day.
Do it! Love it! Embrace it :O!
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2016-12-20 09:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Today just horribly sucks. Can the Suckish days now stop for 2016? Just for 11 days.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-12-20 10:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

No
[+]
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2016-12-20 10:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried but I could not find the love other people seem to have for it... it was interesting enough but something about the dialogue left me feeling really disconnected from the characters/story. Everything seemed to have a "matter of fact" tone to it like when kids put on a puppet show. It also nagged me when the king guy said no one could find his castle when it was hidden even if they knew where it was, then proceeded to tell some soldiers it was hidden and they should head back 5 minutes later. Not sure if he was trolling them or the translation team was just on the weak end.
Forum Moderator
By Vicious Zvahl 2016-12-20 10:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried but I could not find the love other people seem to have for it... it was interesting enough but something about the dialogue left me feeling really disconnected from the characters/story. Everything seemed to have a "matter of fact" tone to it like when kids put on a puppet show. It also nagged me when the king guy said no one could find his castle when it was hidden even if they knew where it was, then proceeded to tell some soldiers it was hidden and they should head back 5 minutes later. Not sure if he was trolling them or the translation team was just on the weak end.
Uhm, I believe the translator was Ted Woolsey, and he was working with a 6 character limit, such that sometimes he had to make characters that were counted as a single character but are two letters smooshed together.

Also I am unsure about which line you're referring to, might just be that my memory is ***, but I don't remember anything like that lol.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-12-20 10:23:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It's right at the start when Kefka comes to Figaro and they submerge it and then you go through the cave
[+]
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2016-12-20 10:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I couldn't remember it's name... the dialogue thing is a common issue I have when playing older games.

Edit:For me story is all about getting to know the individual characters and how they fit into the plot as opposed to the over all story. The story can be ***and I'll still like it if I could connect with the characters. Older games idk what it is but characters often feel flat to me, like everyone is Vaan in 12.
By Jetackuu 2016-12-20 10:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odd as I'd probably find that the characters usually have more depth in older games (at least moderately older, not ancient).
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-12-20 10:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I have some problems with the dialogue restrictions in the old games as well

Like when Cyan's family is killed by Kefka poisoning the water supply (his son was in bed sleeping, wat) or when the King there dies lol

I mean I like the games and the way they're translated (some funny moments) but I think the later games have better dialogue, though maybe not overall story
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-12-20 10:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Odd as I'd probably find that the characters usually have more depth in older games (at least moderately older, not ancient).

I'd say they have more background story for them but the dialogue isn't always well written. I guess the space limitation is the main cause for that
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-12-20 10:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I love 6, SNES version. restrictions aside, I felt liek characerts where full of live, sprite animations where really nice and melted very well with the gameplay, as opposed to nowadays "you just triggered a cutscene"

mid battle interactions where the best too
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-12-20 10:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind the localization but sometimes it's very "matter of fact" when something sad happens and you don't quite connect with the characters like in 7+ (at least I don't)

It's a great game but I think the dialogue suffered from the SNES cartridge
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2016-12-20 10:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Having depth doesn't necessarily bring the characters alive though. One of the things I really liked about 9 for example was the characters felt real and natural. They had personality and came alive rather than being just pixels on a screen, from what I've played of 6 everyone felt very artificial.

It's hard to explain, it's the same way when I read books, I've been reading a 6 book series where each book is written by a different author and the first, third and fourth ones were great because the authors really brought the characters life. The second and sixth ones told really good stories, but their characters didn't feel real to me. They were there because the author put them their not because their story brought them there and because of that I felt like I was reading just to get on with it rather than because I wanted to know what would happen next.
Forum Moderator
By Vicious Zvahl 2016-12-20 10:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I couldn't remember it's name... the dialogue thing is a common issue I have when playing older games.

Edit:For me story is all about getting to know the individual characters and how they fit into the plot as opposed to the over all story. The story can be ***and I'll still like it if I could connect with the characters. Older games idk what it is but characters often feel flat to me, like everyone is Vaan in 12.
You just need to farther in 6 then. Not every character(there's 14) gets fully fleshed out, but there's some pretty good things in there that happen. You get to see quite a lot about them later in the game, and there's stopping points sometimes where you can go around and talk to all of them and get unique/one time dialogue.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-12-20 10:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not just about the amount of story though, it's how it's written
By Bloodrose 2016-12-20 10:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't written about bears, so it doesn't count.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-20 10:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
It wasn't written about bears, so it doesn't count.
Umaro was "almost" a bear, so does that count?
By Jetackuu 2016-12-20 10:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

love going into an area and they're using a Geiger counter...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-20 10:59:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I also like how they fleshed out the characters throughout the entire game, then had a "find them all again" part too.

Also, it was nice to have a one character/one job. Being limited to only "1" Thief or "1" Ninja was a great aspect for gameplay, as it makes the characters memorable.

Although, in reality, they were all nukers at the end. Who bothered hitting "Fight" when you could just Ultima the ***out of everything?
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Vicious Zvahl 2016-12-20 11:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't tell how it's written if you haven't read the whole thing. Not saying that it's really gonna change a whole bunch, but the starts of stories and games are generally chock full of exposition. Takes a bit for the story/characters to come out.

Like, I don't know how far Ina's been in 6, but the best moments with the characters are seeing their lives in the World of Ruin. That's where most of the emotion comes out.

Also KN, get good scrub. Steal 2 Genji Gloves from Dragons on the Floating Continent, and have everyone dual wield and deal 9999x2 at the very minimum by like level 40. Make Locke deal 9999x8 with Genji Glove + Offering relics on top of Atma Weapon and Valiant Knife. Best you can do with magic is Terra Economizer + Gem Box > Ultima + Quick > Ultima Ultima. 9999x3. Magic too weak!

But nah, I'm just rustlin' your jimmies a little. In truth, you want to get Magic Power or Vigor from Magicite on level up, depending on what skills are best for the character skills, and use them accordingly. Like Edgar for instance, you oould raise either, and have him deal 9999 to everything from the back row with Autocrossbow or you could do Magic and use Bioblaster/Flash thing. It's pretty easy to get OP as ***in 6, and it's even possible to beat the game without leveling, though tedious as hell/luck dependent.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2016-12-20 11:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Vicious Zvahl said: »

You just need to farther in 6 then. Not every character(there's 14) gets fully fleshed out, but there's some pretty good things in there that happen. You get to see quite a lot about them later in the game, and there's stopping points sometimes where you can go around and talk to all of them and get unique/one time dialogue.
That wont necessarily make it any better for me though, like I said it's difficult to put into words but easier to explain with books. When you read different authors you find they have their own styles, some are very poetic in their writing, others more direct. Some focus on characters and the story unfolds around them, meanwhile others focus on an overreaching plot and the characters are carried along by it, FF6 felt like the latter. If you are into reading at all check out a series called The Sundering

or War of the Spider Queen

Since each book is written by a different author they all "feel" different. Salvatore tells very character and action driven stories for example which I really like. I feel like I could be reading about real people and honestly I feel like I would have grown into a different person if I hadn't hadn't known those characters growing up. They seemed real enough to become the role modles I lacked in life. Kemp by contrast I've always found his focus lies in the plot and that his characters sometimes feel artificial or act out of character for the sake of advancing said plot. He tells very interesting stories but I don't find myself caring about the characters at all and that's sorta a selling point for me.

It comes down to different strokes for different blokes.

Edit: the woman on the cover of Resurrection is covered I promise!
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-12-20 11:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i have

a book I love.

this book contains all 3:
First Page 2 3 ... 20417 20418 20419 ... 22718 22719 22720