Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 16400 16401 16402 ... 22591 22592 22593
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-29 16:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

What can I say, it's a limit of mine I guess.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-01-29 16:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Heh, I wish Proth. If it were for me, I'd say "Hell yeah!", but this one is a gift for a friend, so I'm getting a GTX 960 for something a little more reasonably priced.

Worth noting he's upgrading from a Radeon FIVE series.

strix then. fan features on it are nice

Yeah, it's initial OC isn't as good as EVGA's but it's so marginal, the fact that it has better cooling, silent operation of fans under light loads out of the box, and a full fledged aluminum backplate, and is significantly more sexy definitely outweighs minor integers at the same price point.

ASUS's power management tends to be better than EVGA's, wouldn't be surprised if 90% of Strix cards have a higher OC ceiling than SSCs

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-29 16:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

"Perfection is a concept of the imperfect. Always strive to be better, but never perfect. Or to be more accurate, strive to be perfectly imperfect" - Anonymous
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-29 16:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Anonymous
I've read all of his books.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 leo
By leo 2015-01-29 16:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Art:
That "I gotta replace my video card" every year/market thing irks me, as I have a good idea how many resources are used to make those.

Just a comment from someone you got to talk with ingame. :)

You know it only irks me from the ecological/resources waste point of view. I still have a 2010-ish PC and video card (both were high end at the time they were new) and even with modern games/software I have never got close to cap the resources in them...
 Asura.Ackeronll
Server: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-01-29 16:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
I've actually said "Hello" to someone, who in turn, and quite seriously stated... "I find that offensive" and walked off.
I've had that happen as wellsadly.
Thats when you say, "I'm sorry. Aloha."
By Artemicion 2015-01-29 16:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

ASUS's power management tends to be better than EVGA's, wouldn't be surprised if 90% of Strix cards have a higher OC ceiling than SSCs

Definitely. Though as a downside, the memory bus is only 128 bit, so that'll sadly bottleneck how effectively it can be overclocked to begin with. But considering it goes toe to toe with a R9 285 and has a sweet price point, I cannot complain for this contender.

leo said: »
Art:
That "I gotta replace my video card" every year/market thing irks me, as I have a good idea how many resources are used to make those.

Just a comment from someone you got to talk with ingame. :)

You know it only irks me from the ecological/resources waste point of view. I still have a 2010-ish PC and video card (both were high end at the time they were new) and even with modern games/software I have never got close to cap the resources in them...

I think considering my friend's card is moving up to being around 7-8 years old, I think he's waited a fair bit to move up.

Upgrading every year seems a bit ridiculous. Unless there's some dramatic game change in performance delivery from some new micro architecture, it should realistically be every 3-4 years IMO.

Post deleted by User.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-29 16:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ackeronll said: »
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
I've actually said "Hello" to someone, who in turn, and quite seriously stated... "I find that offensive" and walked off.
I've had that happen as wellsadly.
Thats when you say, "I'm sorry. Aloha."
Actually, that's when I give them a Nazi salute.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-29 16:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

In Italy doing that salute is illegal.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-01-29 16:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I think in Germany as well
 leo
By leo 2015-01-29 16:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely. Though as a downside, the memory bus is only 128 bit, so that'll sadly bottleneck how effectively it can be overclocked to begin with. But considering it goes toe to toe with a R9 285 and has a sweet price point, I cannot complain for this contender.

Are those cards actually customized ? Most EVGA cards I've seen were actually nVidia reference designs. The 480 I have were the reference card with a couple of EVGA stickers glued on it. They have no shame on doing that, it seems.
 Asura.Ackeronll
Server: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-01-29 16:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Yeah, I wouldn't want to be reminded about that war I lost either.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-29 16:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It's illegal in Canada as well, but most people here aren't well versed in history. Including the police.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-29 16:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ackeronll said: »
Yeah, I wouldn't want to be reminded about that war I lost either.
Italy won actually cause they managed that flag swapping at last minute(typical italian behaviour).
But supporting fascism in general is forbidden since you know..Mussolini.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-29 16:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Mussolini...

Is that like, Macaroni?
 leo
By leo 2015-01-29 16:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

A French friend of mine said that the "Hitler parody" YouTube videos are illegal in France. He say the government is trying to censor those. I suppose that's a lot more strict than doing the nazi salute (which I believe is also banned in France)...
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-01-29 16:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

won't be an issue for the core clock, which is all that really matters in the end.

as far as frequent upgrades, depends. if youre passing off your old cards to someone else via sale or handmedown, you're not really "wasting" anything aside from your own money. every 2 generations is the earliest it's "safe" to upgrade, usually every 3.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-29 16:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Mussolini...

Is that like, Macaroni?
Just bald and with a thing for sending jews on questionable vacations.
By Artemicion 2015-01-29 16:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

won't be an issue for the core clock, which is all that really matters in the end.

as far as frequent upgrades, depends. if youre passing off your old cards to someone else via sale or handmedown, you're not really "wasting" anything aside from your own money. every 2 generations is the earliest it's "safe" to upgrade, usually every 3.

I should ask you or Linus for an ELI5 with the various specifications of video cards. While I know what there is to look at, I sometimes forget in what way they directly affect performance.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-29 16:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Josiah Monstruo said: »
Life would be boring if we're all perfect. It's our imperfections that make us human and adorable. Or that's what I tell myself whenever I *** up. Take it how you like.
It's a popular sentiment yeah, have heard that before.
Correct me if wrong but I don' think the commonality of things has much to do with them being right or wrong or even interesting. Things can even get popular because they're interesting so idk.
Kim Kardashian?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-01-29 16:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Think you can do it in Sweden, we have a lot of nazis that gather in Stockholm on May 1st, also June 6th (national day)
 leo
By leo 2015-01-29 16:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Core clock mattering more than memory speed ? Since when ? The core need the data from the video memory to actually generate the image. Having slower memory mean less polygons per second even on heavy parallel cores with thousands of "shadders".

Maybe the total memory throughput is more important than the bus width (that's when clock matters) when bus clock is high enough to give a substantial boost.

Edit: If you only care about "CUDA" (GPU computing in general) performance then maybe a higher core clock speed would be beneficial for your purposes.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-01-29 16:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply

leo said: »

Core clock mattering more than memory speed ? Since when ? The core need the data from the video memory to actually generate the image. Having slower memory mean less polygons per second even on heavy parallel cores with thousands of "shadders".

Maybe the total memory throughput is more important than the bus width (that's when clock matters) when bus clock is high enough to give a substantial boost.

Edit: If you only care about "CUDA" (GPU computing in general) performance then maybe a higher core clock speed would be beneficial for your purposes.

this hasn't been true for several years now. back when memory bandwidth was the size of a drinking straw, memory clock mattered a lot more. nowadays it's incredibly difficult to actually cap out on it; the only game I've ever managed to do so on is Shadow of Mordor with those ridiculous 6GB VRAM eating textures enabled.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/17/asus_rog_matrix_gtx580_platinum_video_card_review/11#.VMq5l2h4pNM

more information
By Bloodrose 2015-01-29 16:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiah Monstruo said: »
Life would be boring if we're all perfect. It's our imperfections that make us human and adorable. Or that's what I tell myself whenever I *** up. Take it how you like.
It's a popular sentiment yeah, have heard that before.
Correct me if wrong but I don' think the commonality of things has much to do with them being right or wrong or even interesting. Things can even get popular because they're interesting so idk.
Kim Kardashian?
She's popular for lots of reasons lol. Interest is probably a matter of opinion and perspective. I laughed pretty hard at Colbert's bit on her iphone game.
She's hit celebrity status for pretty much no discernible talent or reason, other than a really ugly and awkward sex tape.
First Page 2 3 ... 16400 16401 16402 ... 22591 22592 22593