Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Dipper Yuly vs. Kharon
Dipper Yuly vs. Kharon
 Ramuh.Merlinjr
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Merlinjr
By Ramuh.Merlinjr 2011-01-24 11:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanted to say I am very impressed with Dipper Yuly! Using Atma's RR, VV, and Mounted Champion, I've not only been able to solo Kharon as a 90BST/DNC but keep the same pet out for a couple of kills. Obviously reward needs to be used during the fight to help Yuly's regen.

Would any of the other jug pets do better at tanking this skeleton?
 Ramuh.Scizor
Server: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2011-01-24 11:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Merlinjr said:
I wanted to say I am very impressed with Dipper Yuly! Using Atma's RR, VV, and Mounted Champion, I've not only been able to solo Kharon as a 90BST/DNC but keep the same pet out for a couple of kills. Obviously reward needs to be used during the fight to help Yuly's regen.

Would any of the other jug pets do better at tanking this skeleton?
Hmmm I think you might be able to use Audacious Anna (obviously build up 100 TP for Secretion) but even then I dont think it would be as evasive as Dipper.

Could be worth a try though
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2011-01-24 16:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

How fast was this fight? It took me like 20+ mins on THF. So annoying.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2011-01-24 16:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Wackatramp said:
How fast was this fight? It took me like 20+ mins on THF. So annoying.

ya thf is awfull on bones far dmg output.

what other nms yuly good for solo on. i tryed yannei in attowao the other day kinda got raped. Though was a half assed attempted.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2011-01-24 16:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Flowerpot Merle, the fight's pretty easy if you can stun Sleepga 2 and Dread Spikes, especially Dread Spikes. Takes me about 15-20 because I don't melee with the pet since I only have /NIN and not /DNC.
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2011-01-24 16:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Pick up a frenzy sallet and sleep will never be a problem except when fighting Seps. Heal pet on dread spikes. Or, possibly use the eft for dispel?

Hades.Stefanos
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2011-01-24 16:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

When your pet is a MNK type and crits a bit, Reward can't really keep up with the damage Dread Spikes does. I just Heel/Stay for 1 minute, then resume.

As for using the Eft for Geist Wall, I didn't think of that. Since it's dark-based (the BLU version anyways), I'm not sure if that would work, but you know how mobs' moves can be different than the BLU's version. Only possible problem there could be is if Tejas is passing by when you use it.
 Hades.Xhander
user: xhander
By Hades.Xhander 2011-01-25 12:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Dipper for this fight with a lot of success. Only once have I had to use two jugs for this fight (Spiral Spin aggro'd Tejas, had to "Leave" to lose aggro, then "Call Beast" again)

I /dnc to stun "Sleepaga II" as well as "Dread Spikes". If however stun misses or I was casting something else and didnt get a chance to use stun, I do exactly what Stefanos suggested --> "Heel" and "Stay" for about a minute until "Dread Spikes" wears. I also bring a Healing Salve I from the Prospector for when my "Reward" timer is down, which helps a lot. Try (when Tejas isnt around) to put spiral spin on Kharon since it will decrease his acc.

Also helps to fight near the Martello to avoid "Low HP Aggro" from other skeles as well as for a quick HP recovery if necessary.

Props to Stefanos for showing me how to solo Kharon in game. 7/8 seals, 1 more to go!
 Fairy.Anto
Server: Fairy
user: Anto
By Fairy.Anto 2011-02-04 11:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

With Ducal Guard + Mounted Champion (and RR) + -PDT axe + Ferine pants you don't even need Yuli. You can use a cheap NN. Kharon will quickly get your pet to 50% but after that, the 20 hp regen will be enough to keep your pet's HP steady. Didn't even need reward.
I soloed it with /nin, though I guess you could use /sch (since Kharon's many AoE spells will make shadows useless) to dispel Dread Spikes. Some times I wouldn't even bother heeling my pet for Dread Spikes (but you should stop meleeing).
For some reason, it seems it has a much higher drop of blu and smn seals than bst or rng. In around 10 runs it dropped around 6 smn seal, 4 blu seals, 2 bst seals and 0 rng seals.
Also, I really recommend inviting a blm. You want to get grellow, otherwise you'll only get 1 smn seal, if at all.