Firefox Plugin?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Firefox plugin?
Firefox plugin?
 Asura.Icydeath
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Icydeath
By Asura.Icydeath 2009-03-01 12:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm hoping this hasn't been asked already.

I was wondering if there is a way to make a firefox plugin to work with FFXIAH.com. The way that I would think it would work is, you would input your chars name and server, and it would save that info to the plugin. Every time you would sell something off the AH it would pop up with the item and price. So you don't have to keep checking the AH or Dbox to see if it has sold. Just a simple heads up for you if something has sold, or if you are offline it can be a nice little heads up :D.

Just a thought I had...
 Seraph.Zabini
Server: Seraph
user: zabini
By Seraph.Zabini 2009-03-01 12:20:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like an awesome idea, although im not sure how it could be made.. dont they have something like this for (im sorry >< im gunna say it) WoW? this would be something that' i could see being popular
 Asura.Icydeath
By Asura.Icydeath 2009-03-02 22:06:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering, does the team from ffxiah.com have to make the plug-in or can a programmer lend some support and present the plug-in to them?
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Server: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-03-02 22:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Would be a handy little piece, I usually don't use ffxiah.com to check for my sold stuff, more towards synthesis material / profit margins costs in my crafting, so a little plug-in like this would help.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-03-02 23:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It would actually be pretty easy to write, but it falls under question #7 of our suggestions FAQ. Once we allow our data to be taken off our site, we're dealing with a potential problem:

We have an ungodly amount of data. The site has been recording every transaction by every character on every server for going on 2-3 years now. Not to mention character records, profile scan histories, linkshell memberships, forum and private messages... suffice to say our poor database server has its work cut out for it.

Having all of the data only available through one online format allows us to pull a lot of crafty tricks behind the scenes regarding our data partitioning and calculations. We can control how the data is queried and which data is readily available, which is archived, which is held aside for other computations, etc. This is what allows us to keep serving up transaction histories on request with less than a second delay -- otherwise, it could take the site 20-30 seconds to complete every request to display a page, due to the sheer amount of data it would have to slog through.

Once we open the data to outside queries, however... we lose a lot of this. We can no longer make assumptions about how the data will be used, so our efficiency tricks would be nullified. Site performance would likely suffer for everyone. In order to offset this, we would probably need to upgrade all our servers and start clustering data out, etc... which is more expensive, meaning we would likely have to charge a fee to access our data from off-site through some kind of API, especially given that you wouldn't be hitting our ads, so we'd be losing revenue... and to do that we'd need to set up a billing system back end to handle all the...

Yadda yadda etc etc. It gets very messy and complicated very fast, and so far, we haven't felt it was worth it. It's still on the table for the future, however.
 Asura.Icydeath
By Asura.Icydeath 2009-03-03 09:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, very cool, Thanx for the detailed reply :D.

You guys do a wonderful job, keep up the good work ^^
 Alexander.Tenshii
Server: Alexander
user: Haruneru
By Alexander.Tenshii 2009-03-22 11:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

*Bump* How about this sort of feature only for registered/monthly donators?