Best Damage Reduction/survial Atmas?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Best damage reduction/survial atmas?
Best damage reduction/survial atmas?
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Ringmastersword 2011-01-14 18:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I love playing around with my dancer in and out of abyssea seeing how much crap I can survive holding at once. I usually am rather good at it, and its always tons of fun seeing new mobs and testing stuff.

Anyone else play around with this and come up with the best atma to do it with? Last night I saw a blm able to tank mandy in altep taking 0 dmg from 10 or so for as long as it took him to nuke them down. This couldnt just be mana wall could it?

I was also reading about the Ducal Guard atma but saw it was also patched yesterday? Any thoughts on best way to be invincible or close to?
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-01-14 18:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Level Monk.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-01-14 18:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Blm was prob /rdm, SS and phalanx can drop dmg to 0 np.

edit: and manawall is 50% reduction, should be lots of 0's with phalanx
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-01-14 19:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Mana wall is the ***with BLM/RDM + copious amounts of Refresh, even when your MP runs out Convert is just a button away..
By Asura.Ringmastersword 2011-01-14 19:17:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with phalanx and manawall, just seemed like it was outlasting that combo. I suppose I could hop on blm and give it a shot to compare. And as far as monk goes I plan to be, but not really the point. I like the idea on a lot of jobs, its just my hobby;)

I've heard PDT gear stacks past cap with atma, which sounds rather fun. Btw anyone know a program, or at least a formula to try and figure out what my evasion needs to be to be "capped" vs a mob? (to make 5% hit rate)
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-14 19:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Axle said:

Not as good as you might think though. Since it goes pdt/mdt phalanx then manawall... now if manawall reduction came before phalanx it would be kinda rediculous. As is phalanx isn't really helping manawall that much though manawall + pdt/mdt and lots of refresh is kinda rediculous. But manawall is part of the reason I often set allure on blm now... nice to idle in like 2k mp and lots of -emnity while still nuking hard.

As far as OP is concerned it's so situational it's crazy. Sometimes an evasion atma might help you most. Sometimes GH with it's round about evasion and crazy effects on subtle blow. Other times macc one might help most to make sure you land your stuns. Of course sometimes a resist atma or a pdt one might help the most... or maybe the mob might have super bio aura so regen might help the most....
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-01-14 19:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ringmastersword said:
I agree with phalanx and manawall, just seemed like it was outlasting that combo. I suppose I could hop on blm and give it a shot to compare. And as far as monk goes I plan to be, but not really the point. I like the idea on a lot of jobs, its just my hobby;)

I've heard PDT gear stacks past cap with atma, which sounds rather fun. Btw anyone know a program, or at least a formula to try and figure out what my evasion needs to be to be "capped" vs a mob? (to make 5% hit rate)

War with phalanx2 on mandies i can tank for ever, and i don't have pdt-50% either.

FFxi calculator has a acc calculator, but don't think there is a eva calculator. Need to judge for yourself how much you need. Every mob is drastically different.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-14 19:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw anyone know a program, or at least a formula to try and figure out what my evasion needs to be to be "capped" vs a mob? (to make 5% hit rate)
FFxicalc probably could... if you knew the mobs acc. And well:

1. It takes a bit of testing so mostly only mobs that people fight ALOT have much stat info on them.
2. Abyssea mobs vary in lvl ALOT so there stats would vary a decent bit too.

So you kinda have to play by feel or experience etc. Like right now I'm trying to see if I can get my blu to evasion tank... so I'm basically trying to get it up to my thfs evasion (pretty hard without using 3 evasion atmas even though my thf doesn't use any and doesn't really use much evasion gear) since I know it is sufficient for alot of things from personal experience
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-01-14 19:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Axle said:

Since it goes pdt/mdt phalanx then manawall...

Thanks dasva, wasn't sure how that went.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-14 19:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Axle said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Axle said:
Blm was prob /rdm, SS and phalanx can drop dmg to 0 np. edit: and manawall is 50% reduction, should be lots of 0's with phalanx
Since it goes pdt/mdt phalanx then manawall...
Thanks dasva, wasn't sure how that went.
Would be a bit rediculous if phalanx was last. You could idle in -75% dmg then -30 dmg on that... I mean that would reduce a 124 dmg hit to only 1 mp loss while being uninterruptable... blm would be totally rediculous
By Asura.Ringmastersword 2011-01-14 20:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not so much on best tanking vs single mob in the idea of needing to land stuns and such. Im mostly looking at best atmas to be able to take the least dmg over time with from non magic i suppose. So any strait hitting? Mandys being a good example of it. I realize phalanx 2 or phalanx with /sch is the way to go, just interested in my best solo survival for the hell of it. Plus it makes a fun way to lvl parry.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-01-14 20:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw anyone know a program, or at least a formula to try and figure out what my evasion needs to be to be "capped" vs a mob? (to make 5% hit rate)

Hit rate bottoms out at 20%, not 5%. Sorry to disappoint you.
By Asura.Ringmastersword 2011-01-14 20:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Really? I guess I was just assuming from the reverse. At either rate, same goal.