Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Atmas and FFXIAH Threads and Such
Atmas and FFXIAH Threads and Such
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-01-14 17:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi! Hope everyone is well! I am great- I just got done laughing at a thread about "What atma should I use for ....?" Was epic, because OP was looking for like "best atmas" for 8 different jobs for all situations. Ha!

But what is this best atma I hear so much about? Or at least hear so many people looking for? Because as I am getting more and more various atmas - and I am sure a lot of people have a lot more - I am beginning to really question the whole idea of "best atma."

Granted, there are some that I am going to absolutely agree are exceptionally useful almost all the time (for a given job.) But, there are A TON of really good ones out there to be had. A ton.

Here's an example: First, look at DD gearsets, and see how many people TP in Brutal Earrings. From what I see, it's pretty much still a staple piece of gear for DDs. I've got mine on, for sure. An additional 5% double attack - of course it's good. But how many people are using Atma of the Lion? I had never really heard it till I went back to Abyssea La Theine the other day. Which is weird, because it adds an additional 5% Triple Attack.* I would think that's pretty sexy, with the added bonus of -10% PDT. That's weird - I tank a lot in Abyssea... wonder if that would be handy?

Or, another DD one, Mounted Champion. When I small group or go pickup groups, I ALWAYS get it. A pile of VIT helps keep me safe both by damage reduction and giving Chakra a big kick. Plus VIT is a WS modifier for monk weapon skills. Oh yeah - the regen of 20hp per tick is pretty rad, too, when the group you've met doesn't really have any skilled healers. Seems pretty useful to me, but whenever I tell people about it, they're shocked that they've never heard of it.

When I go solo, it's Razed Ruins, Mounted Champion, and Plaguebringer. Plaguebringer adds another 10hp per tick regen, as well as some store tp and some double attack. Wait what? Double attack? Oh yeah, that stuff you get from the earring you never take off.

Hey, maybe I am coming WAR and I am trigger guy. I can stack up on double/triple attack, regain, and store tp, because my main job is to get those beautiful !!s. If I am not critting 95% of the time, that's okay, now that it's triggered, those crazy monks and sams and blms can just go to town.

Oh, I have about 50 atmas right now to choose from. I haven't played with most of them, and there's like another 100 left out there. I am sure there's some other nuggets in there.

Here's the fun part... TL;DR:

Ok, Atma of XXXXXXXXXXX might give the absolute fastest kills, but these are like lab numbers. Seeing what is available to you and choosing those that best fit your individual situation and playstyle are probably going to be better than what Server.Name told you to get. (Oh yeah, unless they taught you that job, you are playing with them right now, and you're geared the same. But if that's the case, just send a damned /tell.)

You can do it! Find what's best for you!! I know you're good enough, and smart enough. Gosh darn it, people like you!!

Preemptive Edit: I am not, nor will ever be, the best player to play ffxi. I try to get better, get what I set out to do done, help people out when I can, and have fun. My gear, jobs levelled, and crafts reflect that. I don't care what you might think about whatever my profile says; I do a pretty good job, and it's fun. It's called my style - you've got yours, too. It's all good.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-14 17:56:52
Link | Quote | Reply

cool post and makes some good points, I think that most people do agree everything is situational.

One thing I disagree with though is "those crazy monks and sams and blms can just go to town" WAR is one of if not the best DD not using a WAR to take down an NM quickly after procing would be kinda silly imo. I wold agree that TP Regain is very valuable to a WAR trying to proc though Atma of the Sea Daughter is 5TP Regain vs VV 2TP it comes with 13% slow though prolly faster to TP on small mobs I dunno i'm not a WAR :)
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-01-14 18:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
cool post and makes some good points, I think that most people do agree everything is situational.

One thing I disagree with though is "those crazy monks and sams and blms can just go to town" WAR is one of if not the best DD not using a WAR to take down an NM quickly after procing would be kinda silly imo. I wold agree that TP Regain is very valuable to a WAR trying to proc though Atma of the Sea Daughter is 5TP Regain vs VV 2TP it comes with 13% slow though prolly faster to TP on small mobs I dunno i'm not a WAR :)

Oh for sure - likely a balance between TP accumulation and damage would be what would be used. But if a war showed up either way to an alliance sized kill, I probably wouldn't be all mad because he came ready to weaponskill early and often.

But the more I read forums around here, the more I think people are looking for "these atmas only." Of course, if you're looking at what you've got and figuring out what's best for you, you probably wouldn't be posting about it, so that throws stuff off, I bet.

:D