Nomad's Mantle +1 or GTFO.

; ;
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-27 13:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The only upgrade you really should worry at all about making is getting some Bounding boots, and maybe a STR ring like rajas if you have. (you should be fine already on ACC)

Other than that, x2 Hawker+1, Nomad's Mantle+1, Cassie Earring is all.
 Hades.Hiryo
Server: Hades
user: Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-02-27 13:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
The only upgrade you really should worry at all about making is getting some Bounding boots, and maybe a STR ring like rajas if you have. (you should be fine already on ACC)

Other than that, x2 Hawker+1, Nomad's Mantle+1, Cassie Earring is all.

I don't have that kind of Gil to buy hawkers+1 lol, but i might go camp LL for the boots..
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-27 13:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, those are def over the top items, but you should pick up a pair of B boots, since they are useful for alot of other jobs also.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-02-27 13:24:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Also PCC if you can really be bothered to definitely hit 95% with meat.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-27 13:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Raenryong said:

With dual hawker's / ranger's neck / dual +1 Racc rings, he should be able to eat meat already w/o PCC.
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-02-27 13:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Raenryong said:

Lol, i wish i could buy one of them.. But to me saving up what 1.6mil? for an extra 5 RACC isnt worth it, id rather make that up in food or something, while on that subject, what type of food should i be using? and is it viable to main a Gun with ranger?
 Odin.Darkmoose
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Darkmoose 2009-02-27 13:35:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lower accuracy keeps you alive longer (Especially in Citadel) ^^

Seriously though, all the +1 stuff is great if you are loaded, but it seems like good advice so far.

If you are a fan of the Rare/Exclusive stuff, get yourself a Chiroptera Dagger. It's really not anything better than the Hawker per se, and you can't use it until 38, but you'll be the only kid on the block to have one!

Also, if your party wants to make you pull and there is a THF or BRD there, slap them. There are things having to do with enmity that start to make a RNG a bad choice for a puller, especially past 30 when you actually hit a significant portion of the time.

re: GUN Rangers

You really just don't see them that much anymore.

Supposedly it was a lot more popular back in the days before the initial Ranger nerf, when you could melee TP and SLUG-O-MATIC, but with the ranged sweet spots and everything the way they are now, plus the delay (and cost) it's just not commonplace.
 Shiva.Ethereal
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Ethereal 2009-02-27 13:39:12
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Looks good, only things I'd change up are the earrings. Get some drone/genin if you can. Bounding Boots would be nice too. And unless you already own a PCC don't worry about it. The ranged attack on the ranger's necklace is indispensable and in my opinion will last you until Qiqirn Collar or Sea Torques. Of course save a pair of spectacles or PCC for Barrage use.
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-02-27 13:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkmoose said:

Also, if your party wants to make you pull and there is a THF or BRD there, slap them.

Woot. ;)

Darkmoose said:
re: GUN Rangers

You really just don't see them that much anymore.

Supposedly it was a lot more popular back in the days before the initial Ranger nerf, when you could melee TP and SLUG-O-MATIC, but with the ranged sweet spots and everything the way they are now, plus the delay (and cost) it's just not commonplace.

So it's not worth using it anymore? I took a look at the ammo and yeah its expensive, but hell, i wanna try and be the best i can. :)
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-27 13:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Hiryo said:
Raenryong said:

Lol, i wish i could buy one of them.. But to me saving up what 1.6mil? for an extra 5 RACC isnt worth it, id rather make that up in food or something, while on that subject, what type of food should i be using? and is it viable to main a Gun with ranger?

Rng is one of the few jobs that can get tons and tons of acc for very cheap. You'll be fine w/o PCC, infact i have one myself but didn't use it on rng anway.

You should have enough acc to use a cheap meat like kaboob, unless your WAY overcamping then i guess some racc food, im not sure what there is for that at low levels, but i assume you could tech get away with using squid but im sure its not the most effective racc food at ur lvl.

It is viable to main gun but not till later on. Pre slugwinder one of the best things a rng does for their pt is to debuff the mob. Xbow and acids are king. When I level'd rng sub, pulled with acid (or first shot acid if your not the puller), blind bolt next, then holy spam till mob dead. Ammo doesn't reset tp so you can swap them freely as often as you like.
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-02-27 13:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Hiryo said:
Raenryong said:

Rng is one of the few jobs that can get tons and tons of acc for very cheap. You'll be fine w/o PCC, infact i have one myself but didn't use it on rng anway.

You should have enough acc to use a cheap meat like kaboob, unless your WAY overcamping then i guess some racc food, im not sure what there is for that at low levels, but i assume you could tech get away with using squid but im sure its not the most effective racc food at ur lvl.

It is viable to main gun but not till later on. Pre slugwinder one of the best things a rng does for their pt is to debuff the mob. Xbow and acids are king. When I level'd rng sub, pulled with acid (or first shot acid if your not the puller), blind bolt next, then holy spam till mob dead. Ammo doesn't reset tp so you can swap them freely as often as you like.

Ahh ok, thanks for that! I'll make sure i get a couple stacks of each of them then. :)
 Odin.Darkmoose
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Darkmoose 2009-02-27 14:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

At that level range Rice Dumplings are probably better than anything else as long as your accuracy is good. I was thinking they had +5 Ranged Accuracy in addition to the +5 Accuracy, but it appears that they don't.

As far as knowing when you're at your attack cap, if you hit the exact same damage on every shot repeatedly, try adjusting your range slightly to see if it makes a difference. This seems to be a lot more common with ranged attacks, and I'm not sure exactly how that it, but it just is. It's something with the way SE made the formulas.

I've only really seen this once that I can remember as a good example as a melee, and it was high 60s Catoblepas on SAM/THF. The 2 DDs in the party were SAM/THF and DRK/THF, and we were doing Light Skillchains (Kasha @ 67 with merits).

There was a COR and a BRD, and when we were getting ready to call it a night, the BRD gave us Soul Voice + Minuetx2, and my damage didn't change noticeably at all. It turned out that with Chaos Roll and the Minuet we already had, we were at/near our max damage potential.

When you find yourself at that point, ranged attack or otherwise, start looking for more STR in place of Atk/R.Atk. Whether that's from food or gear.
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-02-27 14:32:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkmoose said:
At that level range Rice Dumplings are probably better than anything else as long as your accuracy is good. I was thinking they had +5 Ranged Accuracy in addition to the +5 Accuracy, but it appears that they don't.

As far as knowing when you're at your attack cap, if you hit the exact same damage on every shot repeatedly, try adjusting your range slightly to see if it makes a difference. This seems to be a lot more common with ranged attacks, and I'm not sure exactly how that it, but it just is. It's something with the way SE made the formulas.

I've only really seen this once that I can remember as a good example as a melee, and it was high 60s Catoblepas on SAM/THF. The 2 DDs in the party were SAM/THF and DRK/THF, and we were doing Light Skillchains (Kasha @ 67 with merits).

There was a COR and a BRD, and when we were getting ready to call it a night, the BRD gave us Soul Voice + Minuetx2, and my damage didn't change noticeably at all. It turned out that with Chaos Roll and the Minuet we already had, we were at/near our max damage potential.

When you find yourself at that point, ranged attack or otherwise, start looking for more STR in place of Atk/R.Atk. Whether that's from food or gear.

Ah ok thanks ^^ i was using Squid in Qufim last night.. I know its stupid, but that was the only food i had on me XD But it did make a nice increase to my RACC in that my normal attacks and ws's seemed to hit a lot more than normal.