Sylph.Angramainyuu
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Deionu
By Sylph.Angramainyuu 2012-07-01 14:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vrytreya said: »
Ramuh.Austar said: »
Kacura +1 are worse than thaumas almost always. Aias would depend on my dDEX and target level. And since I would never use RNG on fodder mob, thaumas would be better anytime I'm on RNG.
str+6 dex+3 crit 2% vs 20 ratk.
I pick the former.
Wouldn't this actually be a comparison of:
STR6 DEX3 vs. Ratk20 CritRate2%

Thaumas Hat has 4% CritRate which I think was omitted in your comparison(it also lends itself to explanation in why the CritRate is 2% higher in Austar's set than the comparison set in the math she so graciously did for us). Of course, it doesn't affect the math performed at all - I simply thought it may be worth pointing out when considering which of the two options you would stand by.

Back to lurking. :S
By Mirvana 2012-07-01 22:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vrytreya said: »
Kacura +1 are worse than thaumas almost always. Aias would depend on my dDEX and target level. And since I would never use RNG on fodder mob, thaumas would be better anytime I'm on RNG.
str+6 dex+3 crit 2% vs 20 ratk.
I pick the former.
I don't. Crit rate on jishnu's is already weak compared to melee hits to begin with.

If I'm fighting a level 120 mob with 120 VIT/AGI and 540 defense, my set puts me at 972 ranged attack with food, yours has 938, berserk and 35% chaos roll. Food is red curry.

::Math::

Wait which gears are you two comparing, Thaumas what to Kacura+1 what? None of the piece for piece swaps I'm seeing have those stat changes?

EDIT: Nvm, finally found the post being referenced (Thaumas Head/Feet vs Cow Hat+1/Kacura feet+1).

So if I'm reading the math right, Stat hierarchy looks something like this?:
Crit Rate > Ranged Attack > Crit Damage ~= STR ~= DEX?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-07-01 23:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not really a fan of such rules of thumb since they tend to vary drastically with builds, nevermind specific situations, but if that's supposed to be a comparison of stats at 1:1 values then even at a glance I can tell you that's not at all correct for even the most general guidelines.
By Mirvana 2012-07-01 23:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured it was obvious enough it wasn't a 1:1 ratio it didn't need to be spelled out.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-07-01 23:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

An arbitrary guideline with unstated rules for comparison is inherently useless or even detrimental to anyone else unless they're psychic. I was choosing the lesser of two potential errors on your part.
By Mirvana 2012-07-01 23:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting back on topic: What would the numbers on Thaumas Head + Kacura Leggings +1 (STR+12 DEX+6 RAtk+6 CRate+6%) look like compared to the other sets?
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-01 23:59:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Same mob, same buffs

By Mirvana 2012-07-02 00:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like I get to spend even more time wishing anyone I knew did NeoNyzul
By Explicit 2012-07-05 14:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

How does this look? having trouble figuring out whether i should go with athos feet or kacura +1. i know thaumas is better but i cant seem to ever win nyzul. Any other tips would be greatly helpful.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-07-05 15:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Explicit said: »

How does this look? having trouble figuring out whether i should go with athos feet or kacura +1. i know thaumas is better but i cant seem to ever win nyzul. Any other tips would be greatly helpful.

Kacura +1 should easily beat athos. I was doing some calculations the other day and even nearing cap fSTR2 (vs a mob with 100 vit) STR is always equivalent to 52+% WS mod. That's not counting the additional bonus to ranged attack. In this way, STR is very very close to DEX for JR. STR actually becomes less beneficial the more you stack it though. At +25 STR relative to the mob (i.e. 125 STR vs 100 vit) it equates to 58%. At +100 STR it equates to 52%.

I would ditch the rancor mantle btw. I'm not familiar with the best JR mantle but I use terebellum for last stand.
 Ragnarok.Matix
Server: Ragnarok
user: Matix
By Ragnarok.Matix 2012-07-05 15:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

well i wouldnt ditch the rancor mantle, you have the optoin to use rancor mantle or necklace, and if u use the mantle you can still get the benefits of gorget, so thats the reason to keep the rancor over terebellum, if it wasnt such a crit related ws, id tottaly agree with the terebellum. i think kacrus+seiryu's kote would be the best hands/feet to use when its not athos's gloveS+feet day(dark+firesday(gogo fire ring)0 wouldnt really use athos' tho unless the sret bonus is active ala using hand in conjuntion is the best quick tradeoff, certainly tho u might toss on scouts+2 for a flashy'd ws or something though. ill see alot of ppl pumping dex, but id recommend pumping STR befoer dex, and only take dex optoins if they come with STR, or have an overwhelming value, but even pieces like byakkos i think the slot is better filled with crit rate +3% emp+2.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-05 15:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

if crits were as useful for ranged WS as they are for melee, i'd use rancorous mantle too. but they're not, so terebellum is almost always better.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Matix
By Ragnarok.Matix 2012-07-05 15:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i prefer my weaponskill to crit and do good damage, rather than consistely deal mediocre damage. and otis a staggeringly noticable difference to crit JR and not crit JR
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-07-05 15:46:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Er, what

This is like reading a certain consistently deal less damage argument but in reverse...
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-05 15:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Matix said: »
i prefer my weaponskill to crit and do good damage, rather than consistely deal mediocre damage. and otis a staggeringly noticable difference to crit JR and not crit JR
so you like to suck
[+]
 Ragnarok.Bador
user: bador
By Ragnarok.Bador 2012-07-05 15:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

if crits were as useful for ranged WS as they are for melee, i'd use rancorous mantle too. but they're not, so terebellum is almost always better.

How come someone reject any source of c.hit lol...
In All games cross all the genres C.hit is the most thing you go after it. That is the most common knowledge for any gamer in any game!
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-05 15:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Bador said: »

How come someone reject any source of c.hit lol...
In All games cross all the genres C.hit is the most thing you go after it. That is the most common knowledge for any gamer in any game!
because this is ffxi and not other games?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Matix
By Ragnarok.Matix 2012-07-05 15:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

yes, i like to suck, that's it. Go ahead and do w/e you want, listen to austar and helel, theyre the best rangers across all servers, ever, in all time.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-07-05 18:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

At least you recognize it, admittance is the first step
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rearden
Server: Lakshmi
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-07-05 19:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

what the hell is going on in here
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kiyashi
user: Kiyashi
By Ragnarok.Kiyashi 2012-07-05 19:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

A bunch of retards talking. If you guys knew Matix's RNG for real you wouldn't never even come close to saying "you suck". It's the only job he plays and has been his main since forever and has gear and macros for just about every situation. Just FYI, JR is a crit based WS. Not taking crit % is going to hurt your damage over time big time over someone that is able to crit JR's hits more than yours. Not wanting crit on a crit ws is the dumbest crap I've seen so far. Yeah STR and ranged attack is important and any good RNG knows this. But flat otu saying crit sucks when the effing WS is crit based itself is jsut a giant faceplam moment.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-05 19:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Do realize how weak crits are for ranged WS? If not, stfu or prove me wrong.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-07-05 19:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like everyone forgot ranged crits are a static 25% bonus and Dead Aim doesn't apply to WS. People don't even go for full crit builds on melee jobs in most situations, this argument is absolutely absurd. Don't particularly care about which piece is actually better but treating crits as be-all end-all for Jishnu's is straight up ludicrous.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Matix
By Ragnarok.Matix 2012-07-05 20:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

it wasn't about using a full crit hit build, i was making suggestions about the build, about freeing up rancor neck in favor of a gorget and still getting the crit+ from "tonberry's grudge", this isn't some "zomg crit rate+ only" thing im saying, but you are interpreting it that way, fine with me, the options i was trying to present are good options because of the additional stats on those pieces(STR/r.atk/true shot+[lol]) AND offering a critical hit rate bonus, or in athos's gloves/gorget/ele belt's case the ftp bonus.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-07-05 20:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you have sock accounts, there were more people involved in this discussion than just you. Either way, your attitude isn't particularly conducive to discussion, only to provoking like responses.

And let's be realistic, you gave a generalized recommendation for using skote on JR on non-Athos days.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rearden
Server: Lakshmi
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-07-05 20:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

3.xx pdif
vs
currentpdif+25%
 Ragnarok.Matix
By Ragnarok.Matix 2012-07-05 21:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

i mentioned the skote as a way to keep the same crit rate, there are many other(and better) options, or are you just going to "generalize" that anything i say is "end all, be all" for JR. maybe its jsut me, but doing a critted vs a non critted jishnu is still more damage, i don't care if its 1% or 100%, your going to sit here and bust my balls that's its not an increase? okay sure, that's why i said do whatever you want, and listen to these people, they all know more than anyone at all about ranger period.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-07-05 21:15:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's an increase over not wearing anything, yes, but you've not made a convincing argument or even really any sort of substantial argument at all that it's better than other options.
[+]
By Explicit 2012-07-06 11:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

so anyway... anyone have any recommendations for atmacites for jishnu's? i'd assume the tp bonus one, but would like suggestions on 2 others so i can start upggrading them^^
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 21 22 23