Helix question
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-11-29 15:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
using my example in my previous posts, Cymmina said I was probably getting resists when I was using the all int+ set, but I was doing mobs like 50 levels under what I was so I'm not sure a resist is even possible at that point on my helix dmg. And I tested full int vs my MAB set and MAB won by leaps and bounds.. plz guys that are saying the contrary of me and Emanuelle.. plz plz post SS of both your gear and your helix dmg and your atmas/food (my tests were done outside of abyssea) because I would like to improve my helix set as its a great way to deal nice DoT...

If I had to take a guess, the atmas they're using is Minikin Monstrosity and Atma of the Beyond, since Catastrophe did mention Cryohelix.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-11-29 15:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
I'm gonna ask something off-topic, but I've allways been wondering about this..
Why do people write helices?
Is it some kind of wierd way to write helix when there's more than one?

yes thats the plural of helix

Ok thanks :P
 Cerberus.Zandra
Server: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-11-29 16:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Cymmina said:
Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
so you basically saying that mab is not better than int again.. same as previous posters that have been adressed ,i think you need to read the entire thread again and i can do more than 430dmg helixes with my mab set, int based dmg is very inferior to mab, unless you need int for landing with accuracy, you need a lot do match MAB gear damage

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Calculating_Magic_Damage

The math does not match your experience. If your choice is +10 INT or +10 MAB, the INT wins. If you look at how magic damage is calculated, you will understand why.

Helix has 25 base damage. If dINT is 0 (it usually isn't, but this is just for simplicity's sake), that +10 INT will increase your helix to 35 damage because dINT increased by 10. If you went with the MAB instead and have no other MAB from gear/traits, you will increase your damage by 10%, which only increases your damage to 27 (27.5 rounded down).

Like always, it is situational. A high INT set benefits you when DINT is low, once you pass a certain number (which is different for every mob) the +MAB curve overtakes the +INT curve. I good rule of thumb for a general set is to mix MAB & INT with maybe giving a mild edge to INT (ex. Yigit hands vs Vicious hands). Any more specific and you're talking about individual sets for individual mobs.

It should also be mentioned that helices take automatic advantage of day/weather bonuses without the use of an obi. So pump the waist full of int or MAB, whichever nets you more and cast with the day/weather if the mob doesn't resist it.