Quick Helix Question

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » quick helix question
quick helix question
By terren1odin 2010-10-18 01:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

So I just finished maxing helix/storm surge merits, and have been having a little too much fun running around abyssea helix-ing NMs with obscene amounts of int.

Anyway, with all that messing around, and then a fair bit of toying around with the http://bash74.com/magic/ calculator, it seems that barring 1) natural mob elemental resistance and 2) the presence of double weather, hailstorm + cryohelix beats everything else, including matching single weather + day + helix.

(this is, of course, assuming HQ ice staff and maxed stormsurge merits for a total of +13 int over other helix spells)

That being said, I've noticed the bash74 calc doesn't process Ebullience correctly on helix spells, so the numbers I have from there might be off. But I've noticed the same trend in-game in practice.

Summary: Is cryohelix + maxed stormsurge hailstorm + 5 int from HQ ice > everything but matching double weather + day, really?
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-18 01:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends highly on your dint and the fact that you should be trying to get trial staffs... would be really easy to check using the magic dmg formula... I'll do the math rq
By terren1odin 2010-10-18 01:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, I'm working on them, a little more slowly than I'd like but that's a whole other story.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-18 01:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's start with aquilo having +5 over the others, max stormsurge is another 7. So 12 int diff.

Removing all the parts that don't matter in the magic equation and setting them equal to each other we get...

V=25

(V+dint)*1.2= (V+dint+12)*1.1

1.2V +1.2dint = 1.1V + 1.1dint + 13.2

.1dint = -.1V +13.2

.1dint = 13.2 -2.5

.1 dint = 10.7

dint = 107.

So yes as long as dint is less than 107 using HQ staffs and not double weather ice would win. Of course if you use trial staffs it's more like 52 which is alot more realistic
 Bahamut.Aiyana
user: Aiyanna
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-10-18 01:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Because Helices have such LOW base modifiers (Around the same as Tier 1 nukes) stacking INT will always produce better numbers than any other % Modifier like MAB, Magic Attack, or Day/Weather effects.
If Magic Accuracy is not an issue, Kirin's Pole may outperform Aquilo's staff.

For general purpose, Cryohelix is going to outdamage the others - but remember that some NMs tend to resist certain elements. Cryohelix isn't going to work on an Iron Giant very well for example!
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-18 02:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:
If Magic Accuracy is not an issue, Kirin's Pole may outperform Aquilo's staff.
Only if your dint is less than 13... at which point you really really really need to re-evaluate your helix set
By terren1odin 2010-10-18 11:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you! That actually explained a lot once I followed through the math. Once I finish a trial staff or two I'll play around with that as well.
 Diabolos.Karisa
Server: Diabolos
user: Karisa
By Diabolos.Karisa 2010-10-18 11:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

this is a bit of a n00bish question but im still in the process of studying SCH, Would this make Aquilo better then Indra +1(damage)?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Oumura
Server: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-10-18 12:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Figured I'd get some opinions regarding the use of Cybele Pants in here since its in regards to a helix build, rather than make an entirely new thread. (Not trying to derail, honest.) Haven't actually gone after Smok, and no idea if I should bother with it. :3 Thoughts?
 Ragnarok.Holyman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Holyman
By Ragnarok.Holyman 2010-10-18 12:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

ToM staves @lv85 adds 30% damage to the corresponding element , but for helix which as Dasva & Aiyana mentioned , have really low V value in comparison to other nukes , it's comparable to T1 , which you get better benefit from stacking INT/Macc over MAB , as the damage is so low to be modified by % damage , but in Abyssea "which is like the only event people spam atm" & with all the available buffs & atmas dINT is not big problem to reach its cap , & with all MAB atmas , you might get better use of ToM Magic damage staves .

But for Cryohelix , Indra+1 offers nothing anyways , Varuna's Staff+1 offers better damage than Aquilo if your dINT is capped .
 Ragnarok.Holyman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Holyman
By Ragnarok.Holyman 2010-10-18 12:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Oumura said:
Figured I'd get some opinions regarding the use of Cybele Pants in here since its in regards to a helix build, rather than make an entirely new thread. (Not trying to derail, honest.) Haven't actually gone after Smok, and no idea if I should bother with it. :3 Thoughts?

Yes it's the best for either Helix or elemental skill build on SCH .
 Diabolos.Karisa
Server: Diabolos
user: Karisa
By Diabolos.Karisa 2010-10-18 12:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ty holy. besides aquilos, does that mean I should use kirins pole vs HQ for MAC or INT?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-18 14:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Karisa said:
this is a bit of a n00bish question but im still in the process of studying SCH, Would this make Aquilo better then Indra +1(damage)?
Only at dints less than 14

Phoenix.Oumura said:
Kinda dependent on how much MAB and your dint but assuming even smallish amounts of MAB (like 60ish) it would still be better than teal until you got to like 240dint lol. At higher amounts that you most likely will be reaching it gets even more rediculous