Will PLD Be Useful Again At Lvl 99?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 24 25 26
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-13 00:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Titan.Bigpun said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
I'd rather kill it faster lowering the overall GoHs it can use than have a PLD idle tank it. 90% of shells have all their DDs on it full time and like to kill in <10mins.
hell ya i agree, if u got the ppl 2 do a full out zerg go for it, but the issue is if u r low on stunner u dont wanna go tp crazy cuz its gonna spam it and u wont stop em all and thats jus asking for a wipe. in a situation like that doing what u can to reduce tp feed is best and jus kill a lil slower
Okay... So you have only 2 stunners. Zerg till the second stun is used and back the *** off. SORTED
Last time I fought it the problem was we had too many stunners. That and I kept pulling hate lol. Damn pre-rdm nerf. Since I apparently was the only person (note 2 other 2rdms and like 3 brds). But yeah it built up resistance cause our blms were too trigger happy and stunned every move but GoH.
 Bahamut.Aiyana
user: Aiyanna
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-10-13 00:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Bigpun said:
Bahamut.Aiyana said:
HNM is serious business at 85. Not as if most of them aren't trio-able without a PLD. Then again, most HNM don't even drop anything worth killing them for. (Cereberus, Khimaera, etc) So.. Why care?
i agree thats y we dont bother doin em anymore lol. there isnt any money in em cept for selling the e body from nid

So why care about if you feed them TP or not? Just stop doing it.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-13 00:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Full Alliance: Plethora of Stunners and Healers. I don't know what Cerb you're fighting, but one GoH doesn't wipe you. Multiple GoH will, as in, back to back to back. If you're having that sort of spam, you've probably got kclubs flying, trust me, dropping Joyeuse to Hauteclaire isn't going to change a thing.

Lowman: Who cares, PLD is going to be in range anyway, so firekit or join the failed Cerb image board ->
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-13 00:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Bigpun said:
it doesnt matter if u slow down tp feed at the end, its how much u do right from the start. and as for the higher dps ya i was right, it has a higher dps then the trial sword or the mac, of course the joytoy would have a higher dps cuz its a multi hit. but as i staed there r a lot of HNM's that u dont wanna feed tp, the rest of then ya u would use a joytoy to burn em down with atonement

What? No, you were not right... because what you actually said was this:

Titan.Bigpun said:
the haute gives me a higher dps without feeding a lot of tp like joytoy
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-13 00:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
But yeah it built up resistance cause our blms were too trigger happy and stunned every move but GoH.

Doesn't build stun resist >_> Khim does.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 00:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
and as for the higher dps ya i was right, it has a higher dps then the trial sword
lolno
[+]
 Bahamut.Aiyana
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-10-13 01:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Titan.Bigpun said:
it doesnt matter if u slow down tp feed at the end, its how much u do right from the start. and as for the higher dps ya i was right, it has a higher dps then the trial sword or the mac, of course the joytoy would have a higher dps cuz its a multi hit. but as i staed there r a lot of HNM's that u dont wanna feed tp, the rest of then ya u would use a joytoy to burn em down with atonement

What? No, you were not right... because what you actually said was this:

Titan.Bigpun said:
the haute gives me a higher dps without feeding a lot of tp like joytoy

He meant that Haute gives higher dps than other non-joytoy, non-TPfeed weapons. Which also is incorrect anyway. So.. idkbro?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-13 01:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:
HNM is serious business at 85. Not as if most of them aren't trio-able without a PLD. Then again, most HNM don't even drop anything worth killing them for. (Cereberus, Khimaera, etc) So.. Why care? .
3 rdms ftw!!!
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-10-13 01:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
If it's that much of a problem you shouldn't be *** meleeing to begin with. Either way, you lose.
........it's not that it is "that much of a problem" it's just making a smart gear choice of oping to use a weapon that may not deal as much damage as another but the weapon of choice doesn't help the monster your fighting. I see no problems with that.

Also I lose? lol lose at what? This isn't a competition this is just a discussion. Maybe you shouldn't focus on "winning" in a thread.
 Titan.Bigpun
user: Paidan
By Titan.Bigpun 2010-10-13 01:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:
Titan.Bigpun said:
Bahamut.Aiyana said:
HNM is serious business at 85. Not as if most of them aren't trio-able without a PLD. Then again, most HNM don't even drop anything worth killing them for. (Cereberus, Khimaera, etc) So.. Why care?
i agree thats y we dont bother doin em anymore lol. there isnt any money in em cept for selling the e body from nid
So why care about if you feed them TP or not? Just stop doing it.

i never said we were doing them anymore, i was using them as an example lol
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-13 01:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
But yeah it built up resistance cause our blms were too trigger happy and stunned every move but GoH.
Oh sorry I meant the VNM version. Who fights actual cerb? It's drops are crap
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 01:03:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
........it's not that it is "that much of a problem" it's just making a smart gear choice of oping to use a weapon that may not deal as much damage as another but the weapon of choice doesn't help the monster your fighting. I see no problems with that.
You're implying that continuing to melee at a decreased rate on a job that does not have an efficient damage to TP fed ratio is a more effective strategy than ceasing to melee entirely and letting the heavy hitters do the work.

If it hasn't clicked yet, that's false.

Quote:
Also I lose? lol lose at what? This isn't a competition this is just a discussion. Maybe you shouldn't focus on "winning" in a thread.
Figure of speech? Why so serious
[+]
 Titan.Bigpun
user: Paidan
By Titan.Bigpun 2010-10-13 01:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Full Alliance: Plethora of Stunners and Healers. I don't know what Cerb you're fighting, but one GoH doesn't wipe you. Multiple GoH will, as in, back to back to back. If you're having that sort of spam, you've probably got kclubs flying, trust me, dropping Joyeuse to Hauteclaire isn't going to change a thing. Lowman: Who cares, PLD is going to be in range anyway, so firekit or join the failed Cerb image board ->

that wanst us that wiped to it and as i said i have never used fire resist on it cuz i didnt need it. the only time we have wiped to a cerb was at lvl 75 at 4am with 7 ppl and only 1 of em was a stunner
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-13 01:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
If it's that much of a problem you shouldn't be *** meleeing to begin with. Either way, you lose.
........it's not that it is "that much of a problem" it's just making a smart gear choice of oping to use a weapon that may not deal as much damage as another but the weapon of choice doesn't help the monster your fighting. I see no problems with that. Also I lose? lol lose at what? This isn't a competition this is just a discussion. Maybe you shouldn't focus on "winning" in a thread.

Just sayin, but the TP gain to player is way more advantageous than lowering TP gain to mob.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-13 01:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Algol is the reason people do Cerb. Clearly.
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-10-13 01:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
........it's not that it is "that much of a problem" it's just making a smart gear choice of oping to use a weapon that may not deal as much damage as another but the weapon of choice doesn't help the monster your fighting. I see no problems with that. Also I lose? lol lose at what? This isn't a competition this is just a discussion. Maybe you shouldn't focus on "winning" in a thread.
Just sayin, but the TP gain to player is way more advantageous than lowering TP gain to mob.
Not in every case, which was bigpun's point to begin with. There are monsters in this game where giving them loads of tp is a bad thing and should be avoided or at least reduced for the sake of winning the fight.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-13 01:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Algol is the reason people do Cerb. Clearly.
Yeah yeah I know hide. But ***isn't worth that much anymore lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-13 01:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Not in every case, which was bigpun's point to begin with. There are monsters in this game where giving them loads of tp is a bad thing and should be avoided or at least reduced for the sake of winning the fight.

And where does the Sattva ring come into play in all this? =/
[+]
 Titan.Harrisbanks
By Titan.Harrisbanks 2010-10-13 01:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh hey guys what's going on in this thread?!?
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-13 01:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

We're talking about Cerberus, there are some things I wouldn't engage at all, not swap Joyeuse to Hauteclaire so I can still do some damage but not as much as I safely could. Poor choices are poor. I seldom equip it, idle tanking sure, oshit sure, otherwise is just what the ***?
[+]
 Diabolos.Piraal
Server: Diabolos
user: Piraal
By Diabolos.Piraal 2010-10-13 01:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Harrisbanks said:

Everyone is fighting, I think they hate eachother.
 Bahamut.Aiyana
By Bahamut.Aiyana 2010-10-13 01:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Simple solution. Do not melee the damn thing period.
BLMs are FAR FAR superior to melee at damage/TP ratios. Sure, it will take you a bit longer to kill the mob but it will be safer.
Therefore his argument is invalid.

Edit:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
[+]
 Titan.Harrisbanks
By Titan.Harrisbanks 2010-10-13 01:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Piraal said:
Titan.Harrisbanks said:
Everyone is fighting, I think they hate eachother.
Oh noes :(
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-10-13 01:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Simple solution. Do not melee the damn thing period. BLMs are FAR FAR superior to melee at damage/TP ratios. Sure, it will take you a bit longer to kill the mob but it will be safer. Therefore his argument is invalid. Edit:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Sigh... ok let me make some thing clear. Yes I know not meleeing a monster is the most effective way to slow down a monster's tp gain.

Here is what I don't get: what is the problem with a pld using a weapon that gives the monster less tp to work with but does a little less damage then the former just to make a fight slightly easyer? Last time I checked a pld main focus is to keep the party members alive by taking hits and keeping hate how does this gear choice not help him in forfiling that role? so what if the monster doesn't take as much damage as he would have? I don't even think the difference is that big. As long as the pld is doing his role I don't see a problem with this.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-13 01:27:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aiyana said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Simple solution. Do not melee the damn thing period. BLMs are FAR FAR superior to melee at damage/TP ratios. Sure, it will take you a bit longer to kill the mob but it will be safer. Therefore his argument is invalid.
Yeah that's what we do. Hence why I liked nin over pld. Usually fought stuff that had icky moves and rarely had the man power to put out the support AND DDs to take it down. So take out the support stop meleeing and blm dmg it. Also another advantage to blm dmg is it all happens in regular spurts. So you can kinda guessimate when the mob will have enough tp and as a stunner you can just watch for spells going off to help cue you into when it might use a move. Instead of pretty much whenever with tping
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-13 01:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sigh... ok let me make some thing clear. Yes I know not meleeing a monster is the most effective way to slow down a monster's tp gain. Here is what I don't get: what is the problem with a pld using a weapon that gives the monster less tp to work with but does a little less damage then the former just to make a fight slightly easyer? Last time I checked a pld main focus is to keep the party members alive by taking hits and keeping hate how does this gear choice not help him in forfiling that role? so what if the monster doesn't take as much damage as he would have? I don't even think the difference is that big. As long as the pld is doing his role I don't see a problem with this.

Because it's a huge drop in damage, not a little. There is no situation anywhere where 45% less swings from one person is going to make something nasty be gentle. If something is so dangerous you can't TP feed, just disengage, or be entirely counter productive.
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-10-13 01:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Because it's a huge drop in damage, not a little. There is no situation anywhere where 45% less swings from one person is going to make something nasty be gentle. If something is so dangerous you can't TP feed, just disengage, or be entirely counter productive.

What about situations where a pld (or 2) are the only players meleeing the nm. In this situation the the pld is meleeing to help itself keep hate while the other members are wsing, nuking, using blood packs to do damage. In this case it may not be as much tp restriction then the pld not meleeing at all but he is keeping hate so that the monster won't go after the other party members and the monster isn't getting as much tp as it would if everyone was meleeing it.

Heck I've seen this strat used many times when people were killing DI.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-13 01:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

There's still no substantial difference between enemy TP gain with a regular weapon and an attacks twice weapon. Three times+ and you'd have a point. Mobs are completely random when they TP, but's almost never at 100, most enemy TP gain is wasted.
If it is indeed a mob that is extremely dangerous to have TP often, just disengage, not like Atonement is worth anything anymore anyways. Use cure cheats, Refresh 2 makes it less shitty. Physical DoT enmity is laughably low.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 01:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd really only care about it until you cap CE anyway, so you could always just deal with it for 2-3 minutes. Given that the first part of the fight is going to be less dangerous than the last 25%, that's not going to be much of a problem. Alternatively, slow damage til PLD's cap hate -> eat even less TP moves -> ??? -> profit

Assuming the DI comment was relevant to 75 cap (even then, but that's a separate discussion entirely), if you were PLD to DI you might as well /RDM which means you didn't need TP to cap CE easily regardless.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-13 02:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Also screw making all the hate yourself. Get a blu with some of that +crit atmas and full buffs and *** SATACAEF some spells onto the tank(s). Great hate placement. Decent DD for harder targets. Great dmg/tp given ratio
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 24 25 26