Will PLD Be Useful Again At Lvl 99?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 24 25 26
 Cerberus.Jogiyat
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Jogikat
By Cerberus.Jogiyat 2010-11-26 21:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Kurosawa said:
Maybe so, but that is a lot of hoops to jump through. Chances are the job will never be fixed like over 50% of the other jobs.

20 jobs and 6-8 needed ones. And people think XIV is fail.

Funny enough though, I think SE actually does try to make things balance, but we as a community always tend to take things apart and shape them in ways the make them easier/quicker. I mean if you look Japanese players, zomg so many of them still use a billion SMN/BST to kill NMs in abyssea... they tend to be so resistant to change and kind of tow the SE line if you will.

Like many LSs, we used PLDs alot when glavoid and lacovie and new NMs came out, which is probably how SE tested it or wanted it. But after your look at all those atmas sit back and think about it.. you ask yourself why?

Some guy in a previous post said what, are we gonna replace PLD with BLMS? You know, thats not that far off from the realm of possibilities if given the right setup. Give that blm a PDT set, a lot of HP, and a support staff, and there you go.. tank.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-26 22:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless every job is identical, then there will always be a better job and a worse job, period.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kurosawa
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kurosawa
By Carbuncle.Kurosawa 2010-11-26 22:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The first thing to do to fix PLD is give it an offensive /JA. Next needed change it to let it pass the hate cap.

If making a PLD a better DD makes it no longer a PLD, but what PLD is sucks, then what's the point? It's either change or continue to fail.
 Cerberus.Blazed
By Cerberus.Blazed 2010-11-27 02:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no possible way they are going to give PLD potential dmg output on par with NIN/MNK/WAR.
Boosting PLD's ability to pump out dot and spike dmg like MNK/NIN/WAR would just render the latter useless.
Wait, its SE, on second thought that's probably what they will do, instead of designing NMs around the need of a PLD tank.
Server: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2010-11-27 02:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Jogiyat said:
Carbuncle.Kurosawa said:
Maybe so, but that is a lot of hoops to jump through. Chances are the job will never be fixed like over 50% of the other jobs.

20 jobs and 6-8 needed ones. And people think XIV is fail.

Funny enough though, I think SE actually does try to make things balance, but we as a community always tend to take things apart and shape them in ways the make them easier/quicker. I mean if you look Japanese players, zomg so many of them still use a billion SMN/BST to kill NMs in abyssea... they tend to be so resistant to change and kind of tow the SE line if you will.

Like many LSs, we used PLDs alot when glavoid and lacovie and new NMs came out, which is probably how SE tested it or wanted it. But after your look at all those atmas sit back and think about it.. you ask yourself why?

Some guy in a previous post said what, are we gonna replace PLD with BLMS? You know, thats not that far off from the realm of possibilities if given the right setup. Give that blm a PDT set, a lot of HP, and a support staff, and there you go.. tank.

Do you think, I see far more Japanese players have balls and try things solo as opposed to overkill American linkshells.
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-11-27 04:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope so. I like PLD.
 Leviathan.Rihoko
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2010-11-27 04:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Solution;

Great Sword + Shield wielding Paladin
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-11-27 04:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I like your idea Rih!!
 Fenrir.Weewoo
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Weewoo 2010-11-27 04:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope blood tanking comes back.
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-11-27 05:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Me to , always enjoyed tanking!!!
 Cerberus.Tyraant
user: Speak
By Cerberus.Tyraant 2010-11-27 07:18:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Jogiyat said:
Name 1 real in game example where a PLD is useful and no other job can replace that role and do it better.

Between 14:01 and 21:59 hitting Blue !! with Swift blade!

[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-11-27 07:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Weewoo said:

It has?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-27 10:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkestknight said:

Do you think, I see far more Japanese players have balls and try things solo as opposed to overkill American linkshells.
Really? I see JPs throw alliances of SMNs at ***. Not terribly ballsy. If they're soloing, they take forever about it (by not being ballsy) and/or are too gimp to succeed (see: various people trying to solo Ovni and full -DTing it instead).

Fenrir.Weewoo said:
Blood tanking is more in than it ever was. Aerial Armor rotations vs tanking ***with your face due to infinite MP, which is a better example of blood tanking?
 Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2010-11-27 11:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

SE should of made a few big abyssea HNMs with some kinda beefy def, magic resistance, and have them produce enormous amounts of damage. And then give pld better damage migrating gear(because almost all jobs have the same damage migration as a pld...)

Thus you get DDs that are taking more damage then they are producing and allowing mages to start pulling hate or even run out of mp(in abyssea shocking I know) which is where pld starts to look more appealing. Unfortunately I dont think SE is planning to do that....

Even if they did, you also have the new goodies you didnt have before in other content, extra items. Revit, fana/fool powder/tonic/drink, megaelixar,lucid pot I/II/III lucid elixir I/II , att/acc/DA/potency drinks. Thats an arsenal available to you to kill anything in this game....I have all that available to me 90% of every NM fight. Its just to hard to find a way to fit pld in abyssea realm now. Maybe if SE decides to later on..............make more content for 99 outside of abyssea just maybe...

On a small note, any pld tried seeing what potential emp sword pld does? Only because RR isnt enough for pld damage...
 Fenrir.Weewoo
By Fenrir.Weewoo 2010-11-27 12:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Fenrir.Weewoo said:
Blood tanking is more in than it ever was. Aerial Armor rotations vs tanking ***with your face due to infinite MP, which is a better example of blood tanking?

I meant the practicality of turtle builds and realistic damage mitigation. It is slowly coming back, but I'd like to see it be more widely used both in and out of abyssea.
Unfortunately I don't own Abyssea yet, so I don't really know of its use or practicality in Abyssea yet thanks to all these Atmas.
 Cerberus.Deadmaus
user: Danzo
By Cerberus.Deadmaus 2010-11-27 14:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Jogiyat said:
Deadmaus said:
Considering the 'Reduces Enmity decrease when taking physical damage' it makes a big damn difference. I mean yeah you'll have to work to attain these types of equipment, but to say PLD is losing its uses is plain ignorant. Even on mobs where pet jobs seem to be more viable, having a stable tank while trying to trigger !! is always nice and stable, too.

2010 already, leave the idiotic threads in the past please.

Sadly i'm afraid you need to lay the pieces out and really analyze the situation. Name 1 real in game example where a PLD is useful and no other job can replace that role and do it better. Even worst in all this logic is imagine how ***up easy it is @ 85 to do 99% of the game, now take it to level 90 next week....
It's not moreso useful nor mandatory in a lowman situation. What people are failing to realize is where's the fun factor in all this? As I'm sure most of you quote abusive trolls have checked my account, I can come ANY other 85 job. For simple, HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE NMs why not go pld? The thread starter was stating we're completely useless now and hoping we'll be more of an asset @ 99. We're fine. Yes, it's CONVENIENT to tank as mnk [which I have], but as most people; I get tired playing one damn job. I'm to the point of sitting in my mog waiting for Fire's Day to actually do something other than abyssea.

@Raenryong
For one: I EXPECTED someone like you to post, considering you crave more attention than a single child teenage girl.
A PLD TANK WILL ALWAYS GET HIT one way or another, period. Even with march's and haste most abyssea mobs multi-hit.

• I would LOVE to know where I stated pld was the best tank for lowman? I said stable. Enough with your straw man techniques.

•Yet again, what does 2010 have to do with PLD? It was a reference to the type of thread this was in comparison to the popularity of its nature in 04.

•If something is being lowmanned that doesn't need my blm or bst. It's 1) a shitty mob so who cares 2) Let me have fun?

If you feel the need to furthermore increase your postcount PLEASE refer to How I found love on FFXI, or even LOL2012 where your moot opinions might matter to someone.

Oh and welcome back after the 4th time 'retiring.'
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-11-27 14:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkestknight said:

lol.

Then why is it that the only Japanese player ubiquitously known as a solo artist is Avesta?

There are a great many solo artists, and rarely are they JP.

Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-27 15:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Deadmaus said:

@Raenryong
For one: I EXPECTED someone like you to post, considering you crave more attention than a single child teenage girl.
A PLD TANK WILL ALWAYS GET HIT one way or another, period. Even with march's and haste most abyssea mobs multi-hit.

Yes, one of the most informative and helpful posters are jus' trollin'. He meant PLD gets hit too much, comparatively to other jobs. And Shield never procs. Take that stick out your ***
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-27 15:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
What people are failing to realize is where's the fun factor in all this?
ITT: can't have fun while being efficient
[+]
 Cerberus.Jogiyat
user: Jogikat
By Cerberus.Jogiyat 2010-11-27 15:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Deadmaus said:
Cerberus.Jogiyat said:
Deadmaus said:
Considering the 'Reduces Enmity decrease when taking physical damage' it makes a big damn difference. I mean yeah you'll have to work to attain these types of equipment, but to say PLD is losing its uses is plain ignorant. Even on mobs where pet jobs seem to be more viable, having a stable tank while trying to trigger !! is always nice and stable, too.

2010 already, leave the idiotic threads in the past please.

Sadly i'm afraid you need to lay the pieces out and really analyze the situation. Name 1 real in game example where a PLD is useful and no other job can replace that role and do it better. Even worst in all this logic is imagine how ***up easy it is @ 85 to do 99% of the game, now take it to level 90 next week....
It's not moreso useful nor mandatory in a lowman situation. What people are failing to realize is where's the fun factor in all this? As I'm sure most of you quote abusive trolls have checked my account, I can come ANY other 85 job. For simple, HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE NMs why not go pld? The thread starter was stating we're completely useless now and hoping we'll be more of an asset @ 99. We're fine. Yes, it's CONVENIENT to tank as mnk [which I have], but as most people; I get tired playing one damn job. I'm to the point of sitting in my mog waiting for Fire's Day to actually do something other than abyssea.

@Raenryong

• I would LOVE to know where I stated pld was the best tank for lowman? I said stable. Enough with your straw man techniques.

•Yet again, what does 2010 have to do with PLD? It was a reference to the type of thread this was in comparison to the popularity of its nature in 04.

•If something is being lowmanned that doesn't need my blm or bst. It's 1) a shitty mob so who cares 2) Let me have fun?

If you feel the need to furthermore increase your postcount PLEASE refer to How I found love on FFXI, or even LOL2012 where your moot opinions might matter to someone.

Your first post went on a rant about how PLDs are are not useless and we're all elitist for saying it. I called you out on it. Your second rant gave up on that idea and now focuses on fun factor? I'm glad at least your thinking and acknowledging that mnk can and do makes a more efficient tank. If you want to argue that playing other jobs is more fun even though it takes twice as long (Though I would argue every non-pld is probably having the time of their lives right now).. hey have at it?

No one is telling you HOW you should play the game, we're just giving an honest impression on the job and how irrelevant the playing community has made it. If you hate abyssea, join/start a new LS?

Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-11-27 15:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Deadmaus said:

The question people are addressing isn't "will PLD be fun again at lvl 99?" - Hell, it's fun playing DRK at the moment but it doesn't change the fact that as a DD it's pretty impotent right now. Needs fixing!

Quote:
@Raenryong

Ya, I do have an awful habit of posting.

Quote:

I was moreso being mean and asking why the PLD has hate in the first place :(

Quote:

And I suggested there were many better jobs that were more stable and contributed more to a fight, suggesting PLD needs revamping.

Quote:

You implied that saying Paladin isn't useful is something which shows you are not in 2010 when in fact, 2010 is an awful year for the job.

Quote:

You can lowman everything in Abyssea without either of those jobs... though I'm not entirely sure what you're saying anyway. Seems you're suggesting a mob isn't hard if you don't have to BST/BLM it to death?

Quote:

Cheers but I only retired once??
[+]
 Fenrir.Mankey
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-11-27 15:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Cerberus.Deadmaus said:

@Raenryong

Yes, one of the most informative and helpful posters are jus' trollin'. He meant PLD gets hit too much, comparatively to other jobs. And Shield never procs. Take that stick out your ***
Your goldy locks, dont lie Irish Brotha ! doesn't proc nearly as much as a MNK counter though, and you know, they get their spell off as well, with out taking any damage, and still dealing damage in the long run :O
 Leviathan.Rihoko
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2010-11-27 15:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm thinking of a job trait which gives Paladin ability to use Great Sword and shield at once around 80+ levels. Playing as PLD/SAM this way would be great fun imo. Using GS on single hand would compensate the lack of damage output we need. No penalty needed since GS skill of PLD is B rating, or maybe small adjustments, and job would become much more balanced.

Currently I don't enjoy playing PLD and I'm leveling RDM to find place in activities without worries. I didn't even hit 85 with PLD yet. We need to be motivated to play PLD again.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-27 15:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis doesn't proc :( MNK onry now (though RDM moar)
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-11-27 15:45:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You know im gonna laugh HARD if the next update gives pld something that makes this whole 22 page thread moot.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-11-27 15:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I will be very happy because I really enjoy Paladin! Plus sir shiny shield here will be using it more!
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-27 15:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I do triple backflips when you say come PLD.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-11-27 15:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Deadmaus said:

@Raenryong

lol talking down at Raen as if you were better than him. You completely missed the point he was making.

EDIT:

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
I do triple backflips when you say come PLD.

Into your Maserati?
 Fenrir.Weewoo
By Fenrir.Weewoo 2010-11-27 15:54:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Pardon my ignorance and lack of owning/playing Abyssea; but would one care to paraphrase in simple terms why PLD is less functional as of late?
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-27 15:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Then go to the club to play with my girl's bewbs. (And ultimately end up not playing PLD at all)

Fenrir.Weewoo said:
Pardon my ignorance and lack of owning/playing Abyssea; but would one care to paraphrase in simple terms why PLD is less functional as of late?

They gimped Atonement DMG, and it just can't keep up with DD hate. DDs can also tank everything safely, so there's little room for PLD when optomising.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 24 25 26