Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » LOTR Online
LOTR Online
 Diabolos.Timo
Server: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Timo
By Diabolos.Timo 2010-09-16 16:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I know it's gone free to play recently, and I was thinking of checking it out. Has anyone played it before? How is the gameplay/storyline?
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2010-09-16 16:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I played it for a while when it came out, I thought it was fun. The gameplay itself was quite reminiscent of WoW, but even though I'm not a fan of that game, I enjoyed LotR because of it's source material and how it was much more story driven than WoW. I'm thinking of getting back into it after the recent announcement, as well.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-09-16 16:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I only played during beta. It looked good to me then, but my PC couldn't run it very well at the time. I might look into trying it out again soon too.
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-09-16 16:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I played the trial when it came out, and i agree its kinda like WOW in the sense of controls, the characters are not cartoony tho like WOW more like ffxi if anything... difficult to navigate around a bit, and to find other players/gear/weapons etc. however I played it for such a short while, might be easier to get a handle on now that its been out for a while
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-09-16 17:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I really like it alot. The classes are nice and pretty balanced and theres a lot of area to solo if you don't like fellowshiping up. I was thinking of reactivating my account because since I was a paid member before I get instant VIP status ^^
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-09-16 17:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x12CKxt8g8U

Having trouble linking but i can't help think of this video when people mention lotr online
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2010-09-16 17:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I played it for almost a year before quitting. Compared to FFXI, LOTRO was honestly very easy. If you're any good at FFXI, it might be a little too easy for you. XD

As someone mentioned above, there is a very large amount of content available for solo play. It took me only a few months of sporadic play to get my Hunter to level 60, which was the cap at that time. If I wasn't determined to explore 100% of the world, it would have taken even less time. I liked that the best way to level up was to do the quests and follow the story, as opposed to beating up walking onions and pink birds for hours on end. XD

I definitely had a lot of fun playing LOTRO. I really enjoyed both my class and the crafting system, which isn't punishing like in FFXI. After hitting the level cap, I did a lot of the endgame content, all of which was in the Mines of Moria back then. It was exciting for awhile, but I got reeeeaaaally tired of the freakin mines so I quit. XD

To give an idea of the game's difficulty: by the time I quit, I had never joined any of the endgame kinships (like linkshells or guilds) on my server, but ended up having almost all of the best gear and a large amount of money. <_< I quit in favor of FFXI when I ran out of things to do and stopped having fun.

I'm a little surprised to hear it's going free-to-play. If you don't have to pay for it, then I definitely recommend giving it a shot.^^ Personally though, I barely have enough time for one game, and FFXI is it. :)

Aaaaand fixed for the above poster:
Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-09-16 17:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I still have my sub to LOTRO active. I haven't played in a couple months though. I enjoyed it quite a bit when it was the only MMO I played. Once I started playing FFXI again, it got pushed to the back.

It's definitely geared towards the more casual players, and fans of the lore in particular.
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2010-09-16 17:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

lol I love those vent harassment vids. XD

LOTRO's built-in voice chat means you have to listen to a loooooot of dumb people. >_> It was only convenient for times when you didn't have little kids or confused old people in your group. There were a lot of confused old people in that game. <_< lolol
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-09-16 18:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x12CKxt8g8U

Having trouble linking but i can't help think of this video when people mention lotr online

it's time to kick *** and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of gum!
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
Server: Cerberus
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2010-09-16 21:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I played the beta and for a few months, I really enjoyed it, but was having problems locating quest info in game and was never able to find a group. Now thats its free2play i was also thinking of coming back. If ya'll want to get back in, we should all form a little kinship and work through it together.
 Siren.Maximillion
Server: Siren
user: mozart
By Siren.Maximillion 2010-09-16 22:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You should definitely get it. The free to play version doesn't have as much content as the pay to play version, but it's not a big difference. Minstrel is BADASS!
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-09-29 08:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

i found myself checking out the LoTR page and was thinking about checking it out

but i dont think i would have time for a third MMO
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2010-09-29 09:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Its really free now?
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-09-29 09:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply