Forum » FFXIV » General » FFXIV Collector's Edition Vs Standard Edition
FFXIV Collector's Edition Vs Standard Edition
 Phoenix.Artimus
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: artimus
By Phoenix.Artimus 2010-08-30 12:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

ok so pardon me if there has been another thread on this subject before, but i did not notice any as i was scrolling thru the forums.

So most people know that they are offering bonuses to people who preorder the game. And most people also know that there are 2 editions from which to choose from: Collectors & Standard

Is the collector's edition worth it? you get access to the game about a week before everyone else, as well as a security token, and some other non-gameplay related content (behind the scene DVDs and artwork etc) which might be cool to see, but in my opinion might not justify the extra cost.

Looking purely at the in-game bonus items alone, which edition will yall go with? Here is the link, it wont let me post a direct link because the site uses flash or somethin:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/#/about/game_info

The collectors edition comes with an onion helm which increases the rate of recovery after being KO'd (might be nice)

The standard edition comes with Garlond goggles which "increase the speed of skill progression" (also could be very nice)

from the info offered up on these items alone, it almost seems that the garlond goggles might be more useful in the long run-- especially if it applies to more than just combat skills (ie. crafts)

what are yalls thoughts?
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-08-30 12:53:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If you value what comes with the CE, it is worth it. At first I wasn't going to do it, then I realized it actually is a good package. Probably one of the more worth it CE packages I've seen in a long time.

Edit: Both versions get the goggles, btw. The helm is in addition to the goggles for CE.
 Phoenix.Artimus
Server: Phoenix
user: artimus
By Phoenix.Artimus 2010-08-30 12:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

oh, both get the goggles? maybe i missed that when i was looking thru the pages. interesting...
 Shiva.Ninaa
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-08-30 12:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Edit: Both versions get the goggles, btw. The helm is in addition to the goggles for CE.

Really?
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-08-30 12:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Artimus said:
oh, both get the goggles? maybe i missed that when i was looking thru the pages. interesting...
I'm waiting on the page to load up, atm, but yes. A previous thread mentioned it and a consensus was made that both should come with goggles.

Ugh, connection is so slow.

Anyway, the value thing I mentioned before is the 30 days free play time that comes with it as well.

I can't remember what else comes with.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-30 12:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Both versions get the goggles as far as I know.

Edit: On topic.

I personally believe everyone should get the collector's edition. It's not an argument about which is a better price (Collector's Edition is technically cheaper anyway), it's about is that minor price worth it knowing you'll be spending the next 4+ years playing the game.

Currently, the Collector's Edition comes with:

The game itself (50 dollars)
One month free subscription (13 dollars)
Security token (10 dollars) --Notice at this point that they're about the same price, discounting everything else the Collector's Edition comes with.
Onion Helm and Goggles (technically free, though they become priceless if you don't preorder)
8 free days of playing the game before everyone else (roughly 3-4 dollars)
Concept art book (Who knows, 10 dollars is a safe bet, though again, once they stop making Collector's Edition, it can never be obtained again outside of like ebay)
Behind the scenes DVD (JUst like the concept art book, this is a one-time chance)

Overall, I'd say the collector's edition is worth 100 dollars or so, so definitely a better deal than just buying the normal version.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-08-30 13:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, so full bonuses of CE:

Play 8 days early. (No real monetary value here)
Behind the scenes DVD. ($5? $15? I don't really care about this though)
Security token. ($10?)
Travel Journal
Right of Passage
Free Gameplay ($13)
Buddy Pass

The token and gameplay alone are a $23 value. That covers the difference in price.

Edit: I thought the monthly price was going to be 14.99? Glad to see it down to 12.99 though.
 Ragnarok.Ahtos
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ahtos
By Ragnarok.Ahtos 2010-08-30 13:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
And SE said no ^^
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-30 13:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ahtos said:
Siren.Enternius said:
And SE said no ^^

Proof?
 Leviathan.Yokhai
Server: Leviathan
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-08-30 13:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The designers openly said that no, you don't get both. Its on Eorzapedia somewhere deep. When they had a Q&A with some designers.

LINK

They are only designed to help the Standard Edition users catch up to the pre-release users in terms of level #'s, then they will cease to be effective. The onion helm will def be worth it more, until you get a much better head piece as far as stats are concerned, and even then, you can just equip it right before you know death is coming.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-08-30 13:31:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Yokhai said:
The designers openly said that no, you don't get both. Its on Eorzapedia somewhere deep. When they had a Q&A with some designers.

LINK

They are only designed to help the Standard Edition users catch up to the pre-release users in terms of level #'s, then they will cease to be effective. The onion helm will def be worth it more, until you get a much better head piece as far as stats are concerned, and even then, you can just equip it right before you know death is coming.
Well that sucks. However, I stand by everything else I've said in this thread.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
Server: Leviathan
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-08-30 13:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
some *** blah blah blah
Well that sucks. However, I stand by everything else I've said in this thread.

I agree with you. I love design artwork, so once i saw that, i was sold.