users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Choosing an Abyssea EXP camp
Choosing an Abyssea EXP camp
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-29 11:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

After a few interesting experiences recently with Abyssea EXP alliances ... I feel the need to reiterate and spell-out some information:

1. If you're seeking EXP/Time Extension, it's crucial to build up and "cap" Pearl and Azure lights from the start. Almost everyone understands this, but I've seen a few doozies that don't, so let's just start here. It's become generally accepted that 25-30 of each colored light will "cap" that particular light.

2. If you want to raise the minimum amount of EXP per kill, you ALSO NEED Ruby lights. While a group should cap Pearl and Azure lights first, the group should move on to Ruby lights next. Once Pearl and Azure are capped, the FASTEST WAY to raise EXP per kill is to get GOLDEN LIGHTS. If you do not get any Ruby light, your red chest drop rate will be poor (even with capped Pearl and Azure lights), and you therefore won't get many Golden lights from the red chests.

3. For these reasons: Pachypodium and Blood Bats (Tahrongi Canyon) are *NOT* ideal choices for your EXP camp. Yes, they are "squishy" mobs, but neither of these mobs grant ANY Ruby lights. Therefore, for an average EXP alliance, you will spend 3-4 hours to reach 600 EXP/kill, simply due to not receiving Golden lights during the first 2 hours (roughly).

The same average EXP alliance will likely reach 600 EXP/kill in 2 hours when killing a mob that can grant Pearl, Azure, AND Ruby light.

[+]
By RingmastersWord 2010-08-29 11:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I think peoples arguments against amber light is every gold chest that drops could have been a red or blue, therefor contributing to xping. Amber is nice so you can get some decent items, but in no way helps your xp gain.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-29 12:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Gah, editing out the part about Amber lights.

That's not the main intent of this post.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-08-29 12:01:31
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
I still don't get why would anyone EXP on mandragoras/bats, though..... Toads and Lizards are much better, and Bugards too if you watch out for Turul.
By RingmastersWord 2010-08-29 13:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If people must do the canyon at all, Cats seem the best way to go. Iv had a good bat party, and I hear people having great mandy parties, but their so much harder to make work well and be worth it.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-29 13:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
lol
I still don't get why would anyone EXP on mandragoras/bats, though..... Toads and Lizards are much better, and Bugards too if you watch out for Turul.

I ask the same question, Fredjan.
I guess because Mandragora and Bats were some of the first mobs to become popular for Abyssea EXP (at least on Bismarck), some individuals and groups are still stuck on the idea that they are "the best".

I don't understand it either.
RingmastersWord said:
If people must do the canyon at all, Cats seem the best way to go. Iv had a good bat party, and I hear people having great mandy parties, but their so much harder to make work well and be worth it.

Yes, the Torama are really easy to kill. Good call.
And yes, it's *possible* to have a "great" party on Mandragora or Bats, and it's true those mobs don't have any overly annoying TP moves. However, it takes *SO* much longer to build up to max EXP-per-kill, for the reason(s) described in the OP.

Stop EXP'ing on Mandragora and Bats. Please!
 Bismarck.Rellz
user: Relleum
By Bismarck.Rellz 2010-08-29 13:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

1. I do know a few good camps In lathiene you can do toads and worms (kill nm once u get there and if it pops with you still there i guess avoid it) In highlands you got lizzys and bugards. theres prolly more but thats all i have experience with. Mandies and bats in canyon as OP said is NOT good due to fact that you cannot get ruby light from WS killing

2. I usually cap azure lights first (About 30 lights) need someone to keep track of lights. then you work on pearl (30 lights as well, takes longer) then what i usually do is do free-for-all killing to build up some time to a comfortable amount (~90min+) and then you work on XP+ by working on ruby chests.

3. Not quite on topic but another problem with abyssea alliances is once money item pops in a chest there are a lot of arguments of how to distribute. its best to just random on the spot... scrolls going to the people who have the job that needs or is close.
[+]
 Alexander.Nepharite
Server: Alexander
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2010-08-29 13:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Mandy camps suck way too much to cap exp on, its not worth it.

Has anyone tried to exp on xzomits or leeches in highlands?

I've low manned both for non exp reasons and both mobs went down fairly easy without any bad tp moves. (well xzomits have some annoying tp moves)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-08-29 14:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

best experience i had yet was Abyssea Latheine with the Frogs. Awesome stuff there.