Do These Games Exist?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Do these games exist?
Do these games exist?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-08-26 12:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Recently I find myself a little bored when I'm not doing anything and I've been wanting to play a few table top/TCG's for a while, but I don't know if they really exist!

I'm looking for a Dungeons & Dragons game for the PC that would reflect the actual Table Top variant (unfortunately there's no-one that lives anywhere near me that would even know what D&D is >_>). I'm also looking for a "realistic" version of Magic The Gathering.

They're both games I've never played but have always wanted to give a go!

Anyone know if these two games exist? Or would my only hopes be to find somewhere where I can buy them both from in tabletop form?
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-08-26 12:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It deleted my reply ._. gimme a sec to retype it..
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-08-26 12:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

D&D for the pc? Only game I've ever played that was considered that was Neverwinter Nights. As far as MTG goes, the only game I've played other than the card game many years ago was on xbox live. This isn't much different than playing the game in real life, though. You can download it for like $10 worth of microsoft points. I've also heard Black and White is pretty good, but not sure if its as related as I think it might be.
 Valefor.Billyd
Server: Valefor
user: billyd
By Valefor.Billyd 2010-08-26 12:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

there used to be a magic the gathering online, but you had to buy virtual cards and sets to actually be able to play it. there is also a game called apprentice that you can download and setup games among people you know and have access to any card.
 Ragnarok.Doluka
Server: Ragnarok
user: Doluka
By Ragnarok.Doluka 2010-08-26 12:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The Magic the Gathering game you MIGHT be referring to is called "Battlemage" I think. My brother had it when we were kids, but I'm not sure if that was the actual name.

Granted this was close to 10 years ago so the "realism" isn't what you'd call top-notch.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-26 12:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
I've also heard Black and White is pretty good, but not sure if its as related as I think it might be.

I personally wasn't inpressed by B&W(1 or 2). Basicly its a RTS.. and not so much dnd or a TCG. Though thinking about it more, RTS is kinda like dnd, But yet.. not. I don't know, I only really remember black and white 2, and it was wierd and acually bad, personally.
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-08-26 12:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Billyd said:
there used to be a magic the gathering online, but you had to buy virtual cards and sets to actually be able to play it. there is also a game called apprentice that you can download and setup games among people you know and have access to any card.

Basically this. I'd recommend just going to a card store and playing there. They also may selling D&D mats and have get togethers too.
 Gilgamesh.Tirantus
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tirantus
By Gilgamesh.Tirantus 2010-08-26 13:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Their is a newer Magic: The Gathering called Duels of the Plainswalkers. It's identical to the card game but its kind of "Magic for Noobies". Their is no deck builder, just a number of pre-constructed decks to unlock and use (with additional cards for each deck to unlock).

It's still a fun game for its fairly cheap price. You can find it on steam or on Xbox live. But deck building and customization is a huge part of the actual card game so you do miss out on a bit. That and most of the decks in the game are nowhere near the level that the decks people use in the actual card game.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-08-26 15:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks a lot guys! <3 This'll give me a few games to look for and try out!

Unfortunately there's no Comic/Card shops around me, so I can't play with other people IRL ._.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-26 15:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yugioh.
 Asura.Poupee
Server: Asura
user: Lian
By Asura.Poupee 2010-08-26 15:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Yugioh.
thats my *** game yo
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-08-26 15:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Yugioh.

XD My brother plays that, I've tried it out before, but like most TCG's around here, no-one plays it XD

Ages ago I was looking for a decent Yu Gi Oh TCG for PS2, but I couldn't find one I liked for some reason, maybe it was the "Star Chips for cards" deal..

Been kinda tempted to download the Pokemon TCG as a rom and play through that.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-26 15:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Yugioh.

XD My brother plays that, I've tried it out before, but like most TCG's around here, no-one plays it XD

Ages ago I was looking for a decent Yu Gi Oh TCG for PS2, but I couldn't find one I liked for some reason, maybe it was the "Star Chips for cards" deal..

they have some good ones on the DS.
 Phoenix.Haltro
Server: Phoenix
user: Haltro
By Phoenix.Haltro 2010-08-26 15:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:

Literally just did this maybe two days ago, the GBC one.

It's actually kinda fun.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-26 15:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

i love the monster rancher series in general..well atleast until they started doing their newer stuff.
 Phoenix.Haltro
Server: Phoenix
user: Haltro
By Phoenix.Haltro 2010-08-26 16:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:

i love the monster rancher series in general..well atleast until they started doing their newer stuff.

Reminded me what the last GBC rom I wanted was, much appreciated.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-26 16:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Haltro said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Reminded me what the last GBC rom I wanted was, much appreciated.
npz man.
i beat the gbc one about a million times lol.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-08-26 16:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Doluka and Tirantus already mentioned the (slightly) newer versions, but I remember this original one (by Microprose) as being extremely accurate to the game...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_(MicroProse)

...unfortunately it was for Win95 LOL so it is even older than the Planeswalker version from 1998. But in terms of gameplay it was a dead-on simulation, with a deck builder program that analysed percentages of card "types" based on what you put together.

In terms of D&D there were many old SSI AD&D 2nd edition games out which were very true to the rules, but hardly any 3rd edition (or now 4th edition) games out, other than Neverwinter Nights, that aren't "adapted" heavily to make them more "action-oriented". Even DDO (D&D Online MMORPG by Turbine) only used 3.5-edition gameplay as a guideline and wanted to make a WOW-style action dungeon-crawler game.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Poupee
Server: Asura
user: Lian
By Asura.Poupee 2010-08-26 16:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Asura.Poupee said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Yugioh.
thats my *** game yo

AHA! You activated my trap card!
no, you just activated MY trap card
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-26 16:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Asura.Poupee said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Yugioh.
thats my *** game yo

AHA! You activated my trap card!
I actually have a whole deck made at a friends house. Uniform TCG is uniform.
 Ragnarok.Kurty
Server: Ragnarok
user: kurty
By Ragnarok.Kurty 2010-08-26 16:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Want D&D games for the computer? "Baulders gate 1 and 2" are great D&D games with expansive stories and quests. Seriously great stories. "Torment" is another good one. It was off the wall amazing and had great writers for the dialogue. It takes place in the planescape campaign, so it might be a bit different from what most people think of D&D. They are all around 10+ years old, but storywise are still very fresh and original.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
Server: Leviathan
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-08-26 16:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Pokemon TCG for the GBColor is pretty fun. Its the original format, which I grew up on. Its really easy if you know the better meta games, but some of the trainers could put you in your place, esp starting out when do you have as good cards. Just work quickly towards making that Haymaker deck and you should be fine.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
Server: Leviathan
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-08-26 16:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont know what you mean by realistic, but i do deck building and testing on Magic Workstation....its pretty solid platform.
 Gilgamesh.Tirantus
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tirantus
By Gilgamesh.Tirantus 2010-08-26 23:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said:
Doluka and Tirantus already mentioned the (slightly) newer versions, but I remember this original one (by Microprose) as being extremely accurate to the game...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_(MicroProse)

...unfortunately it was for Win95 LOL so it is even older than the Planeswalker version from 1998. But in terms of gameplay it was a dead-on simulation, with a deck builder program that analysed percentages of card "types" based on what you put together.

In terms of D&D there were many old SSI AD&D 2nd edition games out which were very true to the rules, but hardly any 3rd edition (or now 4th edition) games out, other than Neverwinter Nights, that aren't "adapted" heavily to make them more "action-oriented". Even DDO (D&D Online MMORPG by Turbine) only used 3.5-edition gameplay as a guideline and wanted to make a WOW-style action dungeon-crawler game.
Reminds me of the good old days back when Magic was actually good, and not the broken mess it is today.
 Ifrit.Keeria
Server: Ifrit
user: Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-08-26 23:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

For a good DnD-based PC game, I highly recommend Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2. NWN has bad graphics and not as many classes/races but more exploration and whatnot, NWN2 is the inverse of those things I just described. Other than that, they're great DnD-esque games that I've enjoyed myself many times (also having no one IRL to play the paper version with).
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2010-08-26 23:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Dungeons and Dragons: The Temple of Elemental Evil is a good one. In fact I'm currently being entertained with a let's play on youtube of the game by my favorite LP artist Kikoskia. This guy does some radical Let's Plays!!! Check out the intro and see what you think. He begins with the tutorial and goes from there.

Also if you wanna play a really fun downloadable PC game I'd recommend Spelunkey. Kikoskia did a LP of that and some of the episodes were just F&*^$N HILARIOUS. Spelunkey is a freeware game made by Eric YU and it's a Roguelike game where the object is to collect as much treasure as possible and exit the area.... alive. The dungeons are randomly generated so you get a new experience every playthrough of every level. I bought a $10 game pad to play this and spent a lot of time with it. It's highly entertaining

Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-26 23:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yu-Gi-Oh! is one hell of a card game. I've got a pretty decent deck set up (irl ofc) and i've played most of the games!

God-damn I love that game!

Magic the Gathering is ok, I've got a deck set up, but I haven't played it too much.

Glorious Zombie deck master race reporting in :D
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Milliniar
By Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar 2010-08-27 00:26:00
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/
you can play D&d p&p style online haven't tried it but a ls member directed me here once.