Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » RNG Gear
RNG Gear
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-01-13 04:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hullo. My RNG just hit 73, and I'm thinking of compiling different sets for WS & TP, which I don;t actually do right now.

I was looking for some advice for possible setups. This is bearing in mind I don't have a great deal of gil to spend on big ticket items. If anyone can give some points that's great =)

Currently at 73:
-------------------
Kreigsbeil / Fransisca (I have a Fire Staff & Can buy Axe Grip)
Selene's Bow
Demon Arrows (Kabura if i happen to have some money at the time)
O-Hat
Ranger's Necklace
Bushinomimi
Fenrir's Earring
Pahluwan Khazagand (Osode for 75, yay XD)
Jaridah Bazubands (I have S.Kote for 75, and Crimson Hands are a realistic acquisition)
Behemoth Ring x2
Amemet Mantle +1
Hurling Belt (Cheap of me I know, but it's so much cheaper than Precise Belt, and only 1 less R.Acc XD).
Jaridah Salvars (Hoping to get AF2 soon).
War Boots / Marine F Boots (Again hoping to get AF2).

I guess I have a fair idea, my main question being what of this I would keep for TP, change for WS, etc. I'll be more or less exclusively using Archery.

Release the dogs!!~ =p
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-01-13 05:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

=/ No Dogs today?

/bump
 Fairy.Antigone
Server: Fairy
user: jarredpoe
By Fairy.Antigone 2009-01-13 09:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can get a patriarch protector's arrow and STR rings and earrings then you will have a nice sidewinder every 3mins with Unlimited Shot, just be real careful not use PP arrow for real.... I'm from Windy so I didnt have to make much an effort to get that arrow, I dont know if you feel its that important but I promise that it is working great for me, I merited my STR fully too though. I use heims earring, minuet earring(only if there is a BRD)garrulous ring and I sent alot on a triumph ring(trying to save up for another) earrings seem to come hard to come by tbh....
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-01-13 09:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Oooh, Garrulous, didn't even think of that... STR & AGI in 1 piece = win!

Need to get a PPA, just gotta wait for conquest to allow... I have enough CP. My Rajas ring will be available in about 2 weeks, i dropped my Tamas because of my sudden DD binge.

Bushinomimi for ear has one good Str Earring, with R.Att+10 maybe Fennie's would be good to keep on. I have a Flame ring to pair up with the Rajas. For feet, R.Att +10, or Str+3 Agi+2 for WS? (Hume RSE Feet). Wyvern Helm for STR+5... but with losing my rings & O-Hat won't i start having accuracy issues if I wanna use meat? (Meritting Archery more is also a viable option).
 Asura.Yotevol
Server: Asura
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-01-13 10:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya-
For you RNG, you may want to consider the mob.
I have a 75RNG and there are days that I gear for R Acc and days I gear for R Atk.
With that being said, understand that your STR determines the BASE damage output,
so like most RNGs, think about a STR build (i.e. Fire Staff/Axe Grip).
Here is a few change suggestions:

Weapons: Kreigsbeil / Fransisca (if you can't hit), Fire Staff/Axe Grip (if you can hit)
Ranged: Selene's Bow (Great call and very efficient)
Ranged Ammo: Demon Arrows (Stick with these and invest into a PPA for WSs)
Head: O-Hat (if you can't hit), Wyvern Helm (if you can- +5 STR)
Neck: Ranger's Necklace (overall efficient)
Earring: Bushinomimi>> Suppanomini (Free), but most RNGs use STR earring
Earring: Fenrir's Earring (only a night, otherwise use another STR earring)
Body: Pahluwan Khazagand (Osode for 75, yay XD)(GREAT choice here, KO is every RNGs choice)
Hands: Jaridah Bazubands- I have S.Kote for 75, and Crimson Hands are a realistic acquisition (Get that Crimson Hands, a must have!)
Rings: Behemoth Ring x2 (if you cant hit), Ruby Ring x2 (if you can hit)
Back: Amemet Mantle +1 (BEST choice here)
Belt: Hurling Belt (I went with the Royal Knight +1, for 5 R Atk, 2STR, 2AGI)
Legs: Jaridah Salvars (I used the same until I got AF2)
Feet: War Boots / Marine F Boots (Good choice till AF2 for a Hume).

~Yotevol
Leader of LavitzReborn, a relaxed Sky/Sea Linkshell
Apply at www.lavitzreborn.tk
 Leviathan.Webjester
Server: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2009-01-13 10:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a thread from a couple days ago with some more replies:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=1158
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-01-13 10:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for your input Yote^^ With certain texty macroey type things (was that suitably vague? =p) I can swap between builds for WS with relatively little effort, even mid event, so i've got a clear view of what my setup might look like.

My only remaining questions would be:

-Crimson Hands vs Seiryu's Kote for WS
-War boots(And then consequently AF2 Feet) vs Marine F Boots for WS

And I guess the choice between /war /nin or /sam would depend on how likely I am to rip hate/get attacked?
 Alexander.Dynoknight
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Dynoknight 2009-01-13 11:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

2 very good questions.

SlugWinder have big STR mods, so the natural thing to do is whack as much STR on as possible. However, there will come a point where your R. Atk will become uncapped, so the STR you add will make little difference. You shouldn't have to worry about this too much til you have pretty much maxed out STR/Skill merits and have a large sum of STR.

Obviously being able to land the WS is going to help so if you have no merits or relatively low accuracy, I would suggest using S Kote and possibly look at switching to Crimson Gauntlets when you cap Archery/Marksmanship merits and feel comfortable with your WS Accuracy, or in instances where the mob has relatively low evasion.

My overall suggestion would be to start with S Kote and Marine F Boots, but make sure to play around with different gear variations to find one that best suits your character and setup. The best way to do this would to be by testing gear builds that you create on the same mob (Pretty sure you will get through more than 1 mob, but you know what I mean, lol), and when you have found what works for you, try it out on different types of mobs. You may find you prefer using different WS setups on different mobs, like a set with more acc for THF type mobs and a heavy STR set for Crabs. It will need adjusting as you merit and upgrade your gear so just do so accordingly^^

As for the subjobs, just decide which role in the group of whatever it is you are doing that you are going to play. If you are going to be pulling/kiting, or know that you will be taking hate a lot, then /NIN. If you are in for pure damage, /WAR. If you are up against a mob that you don't want to be overfeeding TP to (as a group only), /SAM, but you would probably be told to do that beforehand.

I apologise if I have been too vague. And sorry about the Wall 'O Text. I get a bit carried away sometimes ._.;;
 Asura.Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-01-13 11:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats an easy choice-
Go with Seiryu's Kote for WS, since Sidewinder is AGI based.

Also, go with Marine F Boots for WS, because R Atk bonus isn't as much major calculation for WS than STR.

I agree with the post above, know the mobs. A BLM mob would be TOO WEAK to a STR built RNG- likewise with the Colibri's being weak to piercing and low evasion!
 Seraph.Lucipherious
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Lucipherious 2009-01-13 11:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

S.kote for WS no doubt about it.

personally i prefer /sam nowadays with hasso\meditate\store tp to pump out for dmg and WS, and seigain\3rd eye to survive.. basicly get a bit of both /war and /nin into one sub.
 Asura.Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-01-13 11:32:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, if we are talking about subjobs for RNG, you are right... the Damage output of a RNG/SAM is epic, same with the SAM/RNG, but exp slows down when you die (and yes, every RNG/SAM dies 3-5 times more often then a RNG/NIN).

As for RNG/WAR, it's nice if you don't have /SAM or /WAR, but if you want to level- do it right and level the most efficient subjobs!

~Yotevol
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-01-13 11:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sub wise I have the choice already =p.

75WAR 75NIN 75SAM 75BLM 75THF and now 73RNG.

If i were to go with a gut feeling i'd say kote for WS too. Same with the Marine Boots ^^. It's nice to know i might have been on the right track. Cheers for your replies guys!
 Asura.Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-01-13 11:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't say I have the DD experience that you have, but I have a 75THF, 75WHM, 75BLM and 75RNG!

My next choice is my own experimentation... the 75RDM/PLD and 75RDM/BLU. RDM is now 58 and climbing!

My goal will be to solo faust, melee style!

~Yotevol