Abyssea - Casual Or Hardcore ?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Abyssea - Casual or hardcore ?
Abyssea - Casual or hardcore ?
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 19 20 21
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-07-24 11:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

@Kailana

lol I've done chigoe burns as well. Its a lot of hassle with having someone fight sheeps and constantly getting new sync ppl.

Go team Kai & PC?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion ofc, but PC have been going on about it for days now. Whats the point? Is he trying to convoince everyone to feel the way he does about it?

Title: Abyssea - Casual or hardcore?

It's as hardcore as you want it to be.

Most ppl use it to exp/merit and are more than happy to pay 10 bucks for that alone. So whats the point in arguing with them for days trying to tell them that they are either wrong or hardcore?
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-07-24 11:37:29
Link | Quote | Reply

So anyone with a lot of high level jobs is hardcore, even though you've just been saying how easy/quick it is to exp?
[+]
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
Server: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-07-24 11:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
So anyone with a lot of high level jobs is hardcore, even though you've just been saying how easy/quick it is to exp?

Yes, twenty times easy doesn't make easy.
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
user: Jornna
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-07-24 11:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok Pchan, Abyssea is hardcore and SE lied to us about it.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-07-24 11:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Just because someone has multiple 75+ jobs doesn't make them hardcore, how long has this game been around now?
[+]
 Ifrit.Duanyu
Server: Ifrit
user: Duanyu
By Ifrit.Duanyu 2010-07-24 11:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said:
Just because someone has multiple 75+ jobs doesn't make them hardcore, how long has this game been around now?

13 pages apparently
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-07-24 11:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Why don't we, you know, first lay down a definition on what "hardcore" and "casual" are in the terms of the realm of XI?
[+]
By Kailana 2010-07-24 11:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
@Kailana

lol I've done chigoe burns as well. Its a lot of hassle with having someone fight sheeps and constantly getting new sync ppl.

Go team Kai & PC?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion ofc, but PC have been going on about it for days now. Whats the point? Is he trying to convoince everyone to feel the way he does about it?

Most ppl use it to exp/merit and are more than happy to pay 10 bucks for that alone. So whats the point in arguing with them for days trying to tell them that they are either wrong or hardcore?

Not picking sides or making a team because he's simply right on that one fact he nailed you on earlier. Just pointing out that since he schooled you with that chigoe burn trivia you've been making as many attempts as possible to make him look stupid, and it makes you come off as petty. You're possibly the most radical (gogo 80's kid!)guy ever, but if I just used this thread, I'd be unable to determine that based on the petty behavior. :P

I also think he's not wrong in suggesting a lot of the stuff in abyssea is a lot more hardcore than SE made it sound. They made it sound extremely casual, and while the exp farming is pretty casual (albeit kinda dumb in terms of how long you have to be there to reap real rewards...which brings back a point someone made about the pandemonium warden fiasco...) they made it sound like everything was going to be casual. I worked on a TotM weapon up to Mantis form, so I could work on a Verethranga. I then read it required 50 two-leaf chloris buds. After several weeks of not being able to determine how to even pop the mob on wikipedia, it became known....and the amount of time it would take to farm the buds became apparent.

You'd require a linkshell for this, bare minimum. One who probably has lots of members working on those new weapons. Chloris is a tier 3 mob, of all things. (In terms of the flowchart, and not indicative of difficulty, he'd be at the level of a god in sky, ranked right before kirin) He can drop 0-2 of the buds. So for one person to get a verethranga, they need an absolute minimum of 25 chloris kills. That's if they're not sharing with any DRGs or WARs working on their weapons, too. By my calculations, unless you're the shell owner and demand you get every single chloris bud right away (good luck keeping members in THAT dictatorship environment) you're looking at dedication of like...at least a year. Maybe even more.

There's nothing about that that is even remotely casual., especially considering to get to the phase where you need to get 50 buds, you have to have already hunted and killed 21 NMs (pop times seem to be 1 hour - 5 hours+ to spawn) and 12 VNMs. Hell, you may as well just go work on a relic or a mythic. I recommend mythic, because while they require a lot of game content to have been done to aquire one...at least you'll be able to say you explored and did a lot of game content.

Personally, though, I like abyssea. Mind, currently I only use it for an exp/merit tool, and only when I want to. I can see where pchans complaints are coming from. Like it or not, it is a lot more hardcore than square even suggested it was going to be.
[+]
 Caitsith.Ilolatyou
Server: Caitsith
user: Bloodlust
By Caitsith.Ilolatyou 2010-07-24 12:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

So in summary, your complaint with abyssea is that you weren't given relic-comparable weapons for free?

lol...
[+]
 Ifrit.Duanyu
By Ifrit.Duanyu 2010-07-24 12:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Kailana said:
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
@Kailana

Go team Kai & PC?

Not picking sides or making a team because he's simply right on that one fact he nailed you on earlier. Just pointing out that since he schooled you with that chigoe burn trivia you've been making as many attempts as possible to make him look stupid, and it makes you come off as petty. You're possibly the most radical (gogo 80's kid!)guy ever, but if I just used this thread, I'd be unable to determine that based on the petty behavior. :P

I also think he's not wrong in suggesting a lot of the stuff in abyssea is a lot more hardcore than SE made it sound. They made it sound extremely casual, and while the exp farming is pretty casual (albeit kinda dumb in terms of how long you have to be there to reap real rewards...which brings back a point someone made about the pandemonium warden fiasco...) they made it sound like everything was going to be casual. I worked on a TotM weapon up to Mantis form, so I could work on a Verethranga. I then read it required 50 two-leaf chloris buds. After several weeks of not being able to determine how to even pop the mob on wikipedia, it became known....and the amount of time it would take to farm the buds became apparent.

You'd require a linkshell for this, bare minimum. One who probably has lots of members working on those new weapons. Chloris is a tier 3 mob, of all things. (In terms of the flowchart, and not indicative of difficulty, he'd be at the level of a god in sky, ranked right before kirin) He can drop 0-2 of the buds. So for one person to get a verethranga, they need an absolute minimum of 25 chloris kills. That's if they're not sharing with any DRGs or WARs working on their weapons, too. By my calculations, unless you're the shell owner and demand you get every single chloris bud right away (good luck keeping members in THAT dictatorship environment) you're looking at dedication of like...at least a year. Maybe even more.

There's nothing about that that is even remotely casual., especially considering to get to the phase where you need to get 50 buds, you have to have already hunted and killed 21 NMs (pop times seem to be 1 hour - 5 hours+ to spawn) and 12 VNMs. Hell, you may as well just go work on a relic or a mythic. I recommend mythic, because while they require a lot of game content to have been done to aquire one...at least you'll be able to say you explored and did a lot of game content.

Personally, though, I like abyssea. Mind, currently I only use it for an exp/merit tool, and only when I want to. I can see where pchans complaints are coming from. Like it or not, it is a lot more hardcore than square even suggested it was going to be.

this is why people shouldn't butt in, in an argument thats been spanning several pages. oh well
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
user: Jornna
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-07-24 12:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is what is from the vanafest 2010 site about Abysssea
SE said:
Abyssea is a parallel world existing beside Vana'diel. A land fraught with perils, Abyssea is home to savage hordes of heretofore unseen creatures. Ferocious, towering NMs, new-look HNMs—even the garden varieties will confound would-be challengers with their unfamiliar and formidable powers. These and a whole host more await hapless adventurers with open arms and voracious maws.

In Abyssea, concerns such as the over-population of battle areas and the need for large time investments will be a thing of the past. The development team is hard at work creating a world where parties can engage in rewarding battles with powerful foes and collect prized equipment with the least of fuss. The expansive realm of Abyssea will comprise several new areas which will be introduced over the course of three add-ons.

I guess you could argue what "large time investment" Is.
[+]
 Asura.Masekase
Server: Asura
user: masekase
By Asura.Masekase 2010-07-24 12:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes but SE have too keep everyone happy. It needs to be casual and hardcore.

They will probably add more to the Empyrean weapons in next two add ons. I expected them to be a little bit easier to get than relics and Mythic weapons but not by much.
[+]
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-07-24 12:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Kailana said:
By my calculations, unless you're the shell owner and demand you get every single chloris bud right away (good luck keeping members in THAT dictatorship environment) you're looking at dedication of like...at least a year. Maybe even more.

And that's only for 75->80, so 5 years for the level 99 if you are leader, for weapons that are notoriously weaker than relics.
[+]
 Ifrit.Duanyu
By Ifrit.Duanyu 2010-07-24 12:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Kailana said:
By my calculations, unless you're the shell owner and demand you get every single chloris bud right away (good luck keeping members in THAT dictatorship environment) you're looking at dedication of like...at least a year. Maybe even more.

And that's only for 75->80, so 5 years for the level 99 if you are leader, for weapons that are notoriously weaker than relics.

for now...............
[+]
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-07-24 12:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Duanyu said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Kailana said:

for now...............

There is no point in allowing to upgrade relics and mythics if you eventually plan not to make them the best. Everything SE does hint toward gimping all pre-level cap gear and keeping relic and mythics high. I mean you can believe all you want ... some people still believe in god in 2010.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-07-24 12:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Ifrit.Duanyu said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Kailana said:

for now...............

There is no point in allowing to upgrade relics and mythics if you eventually plan not to make them the best. Everything SE does hint toward gimping all pre-level cap gear and keeping relic and mythics high. I mean you can believe all you want ... some people still believe in god in 2010.

I really ... dunno if I should take your seriously ... are you really that much of a ... idiot?

oh wait....
[+]
 Ifrit.Duanyu
By Ifrit.Duanyu 2010-07-24 12:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Catnipthief said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Ifrit.Duanyu said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Kailana said:

for now...............

I really ... dunno if I should take your seriously ... are you really that much of a ... idiot?

oh wait....

guess so
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-07-24 12:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

What if only one person is working on a "Chloris" emp. weapon?
Chloris pop sets can be obtained through exp runs (but not in lolmandies or bats).
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
some people still believe in god in 2010.
lol, soooooooooo true
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-07-24 12:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Kailana said:
EXP runs focused on key item farming
Chloris isn't that hard with the use of ledges/cliffs, but your tank will need Hallowed Water/Holy Water & Cursnas.
[+]
By Kailana 2010-07-24 12:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Ilolatyou said:
So in summary, your complaint with abyssea is that you weren't given relic-comparable weapons for free?

lol...

Sure, lets just summarize that entire suggestive idea type posting into one douchebag sentence :P No, I don't mind those things being thrown in. I just wish when they said large time investments weren't gonna be around anymore, that large time investments weren't gonna be around anymore. I didn't expect relic comparable weapons at all, and I -did- expect trials to supercharge the relics that did exist even further, so that maybe we could obtain more powerful (or rather, fitting for 80+) customizable equipments that didn't require potential year/2 years investment with a large linkshell (weren't these events supposed to be designed for lowman?) to obtain.

There's a lot of things about abyssea to like. Easily obtained 78+ armor sets, the ability to make coin off these armor sets, the augmented drops, the money drops, ridiculously awesome exp parties, the soundtrack so far has just been wonderful, but the weapon thing was just one aspect I didn't like. I was expecting maybe more magian trials to get a shiny base-weapon type that might, say for h2h, be comparable to destroyers, but with customizable augments. I much prefer the upgrades to the sidegrades, just for some of the upgrades the requirements are a whole lot simpler than other upgrades. I dunno, I guess I just expect a year + to be a "large time investment" by definition.

Especially with FF14 coming out, and I'll probably want to play that, too. Realistically, I'll probably really enjoy FF14, and that'll come out sometime around when my Verethranga will be completed. I won't even get to really enjoy the thing. :(

All this aside, someone told me something about future armor trials in a future abyssea expansion? Those would be a good thing, I felt bad seeing some of these new armors coming out that completely rival things out of salvage, or sky, that some people did invest a lot of time for. Items that have taken a long time to get should probably have room for upgrading.

I wonder what augmented usukanes would look like? :3
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-07-24 12:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Kailana said:
Those would be a good thing, I felt bad seeing some of these new armors coming out that completely rival things out of salvage, or sky, that some people did invest a lot of time for. Items that have taken a long time to get should probably have room for upgrading.
Homam.....
As for the weapons: OA2-3 wargfangs are the best option (for now).
Most of the other weapons (I'm looking at you, Scythe) have better/easier to get alternatives (example: STR/ATK, DEX/ACC)
And no, someone with lots of lvl 80 jobs isn't hardcore, get out with that.
Being hardcore means that you camp HNMs, do salvage/limbus/einherjar/VNM/dyna and have lots of nice weapons/good gear/skill/good macros
[+]
 Diabolos.Torazalinto
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Torazalinto 2010-07-24 12:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

They never said large time investments weren't going to be around anymore. They added casual content. The "1337" ***in the game is for "hardcore" players. The average run off the mill ***and levels and simple content (which has the majority throughout the entire game) is for casual players. Your complaints can very well be summed up as "I'm disappointed I didn't get a way to make a relic weapon in 10% of the time it used to take." Or something along those lines.
[+]
 Ifrit.Duanyu
By Ifrit.Duanyu 2010-07-24 12:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Kailana said:
Caitsith.Ilolatyou said:

lol...

Sure, lets just summarize that entire suggestive idea type posting into one douchebag sentence :P No, I don't mind those things being thrown in. I just wish when they said large time investments weren't gonna be around anymore, that large time investments weren't gonna be around anymore. I didn't expect relic comparable weapons at all, and I -did- expect trials to supercharge the relics that did exist even further, so that maybe we could obtain more powerful (or rather, fitting for 80+) customizable equipments that didn't require potential year/2 years investment with a large linkshell (weren't these events supposed to be designed for lowman?) to obtain.

There's a lot of things about abyssea to like. Easily obtained 78+ armor sets, the ability to make coin off these armor sets, the augmented drops, the money drops, ridiculously awesome exp parties, the soundtrack so far has just been wonderful, but the weapon thing was just one aspect I didn't like. I was expecting maybe more magian trials to get a shiny base-weapon type that might, say for h2h, be comparable to destroyers, but with customizable augments. I much prefer the upgrades to the sidegrades, just for some of the upgrades the requirements are a whole lot simpler than other upgrades. I dunno, I guess I just expect a year + to be a "large time investment" by definition.

Especially with FF14 coming out, and I'll probably want to play that, too. Realistically, I'll probably really enjoy FF14, and that'll come out sometime around when my Verethranga will be completed. I won't even get to really enjoy the thing. :(

All this aside, someone told me something about future armor trials in a future abyssea expansion? Those would be a good thing, I felt bad seeing some of these new armors coming out that completely rival things out of salvage, or sky, that some people did invest a lot of time for. Items that have taken a long time to get should probably have room for upgrading.

I wonder what augmented usukanes would look like? :3

but Ilolatyou summarization about your view on the new weapons is 100 percent correct. What did you expect knowing SE and the requirements for relic/mythic weapons?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kyhira
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Kyhira 2010-07-24 13:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Kailana said:
gogo 80's kid!

I lol'd
[+]
By Kailana 2010-07-24 13:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Torazalinto said:
They never said large time investments weren't going to be around anymore. They added casual content. The "1337" ***in the game is for "hardcore" players. The average run off the mill ***and levels and simple content (which has the majority throughout the entire game) is for casual players. Your complaints can very well be summed up as "I'm disappointed I didn't get a way to make a relic weapon in 10% of the time it used to take." Or something along those lines.

I summed up my complaint already, to counter another posters post that was worded eerily similar to this one. Reading is awesome.

The complaint was more akin to "I didn't really want another relic to spend years working on, we have enough of those, but rather some side grade stuff that was customizable, but not likely near as strong as some relics/upgraded relics would be."

I wasn't even really complaining, just pointing out pchans dislike wasn't that hard to really understand. :P I personally -like- abyssea.
[+]
By Kailana 2010-07-24 13:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Kyhira said:
Kailana said:
gogo 80's kid!

I lol'd

LOL
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-07-24 13:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

And, honestly, upgrading a relic at these times is easily the worst thing you can do.
A Relic without any trials done is..... gimp.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-07-24 13:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:

Being hardcore means that you camp HNMs, do salvage/limbus/einherjar/VNM/dyna and have lots of nice weapons/good gear/skill/good macros

No. Hardcore means playing a lot, that is all. You can have full usu and play 6 hours a week.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-07-24 13:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

edit2: you could play a lot and only have 2-3 level 80s
but yeah, someone can only play 5-6 hours a week and have some nice gear (like that BG BST who has like 400m and only plays one hour per day)
[+]
 Ifrit.Duanyu
By Ifrit.Duanyu 2010-07-24 13:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Kailana said:
I summed up my complaint already, to counter another posters post that was worded eerily similar to this one. Reading is awesome.

The complaint was more akin to "I didn't really want another relic to spend years working on, we have enough of those, but rather some side grade stuff that was customizable, but not likely near as strong as some relics/upgraded relics would be."
Kailana said:

I was expecting maybe more magian trials to get a shiny base-weapon type that might, say for h2h, be comparable to destroyers, but with customizable augments. I much prefer the upgrades to the sidegrades, just for some of the upgrades the requirements are a whole lot simpler than other upgrades.

What?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 19 20 21