Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Blm vs Sch
Blm vs Sch
First Page 2
By Marrs 2010-07-04 06:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure this has been debated before, but being that the teal gear is allowable for schs to wear (new), what upperhand does blm have on sch anymore? Why even be blm? Normally I'd say am2's and the weskit, but V's will outdue those as they're dmg will be near on par with them and most importantly more mp efficient then am2's (another thing sch does better than blm, conserve mp, vie sublimation and a -50% ja).

Sch cons I can see being argued:
Of course you have to use "dark arts" and another charge to get the spells, but this point is trivial when comparing solely to a blm (ie you wouldnt bring up the point that it has to change to dark arts unless you were comparing it to a whm and a blm at the same time). And once that charge is used up you have a +20% ja ready to go for pretty much every spell (sure the charges aren't instant but if your nuking to a point to where you run out, your probably over nuking and bound for death with the amount of emnity vie dmg). Add this to a sch thats smart enough to own the weather obi's and your 20% turns into a 30% dmg bonus over a blm's I-V's. And in practically all instances % beets MAB (i bring this up because sch alone doesnt get the mab job trait, so this makes up for it, and then some).

So to restate the question, what reason is there to be a blm over sch would you argue? A hope for newer am's or spells found at lvl 99?

[+]
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-04 06:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as I love SCH, BLM is going to get more and more powerful in comparison. Currently I rank SCH quite a bit above BLM, but as higher-tier nukes come out, INT matters less whereas MAB matters more, and BLM has a good 20 MAB on SCH minimum.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-04 06:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Another dead horse.
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-07-04 06:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Blm gets Meteor....We know this for sure...But lets not forget that the difference between B+ and A+ elemental magics will be larger as we hit 99... Blm gets access to more skill+ gears so their resist rate against end-game @99 mobs, will be a lot lower than sch (unless of course a sch full merits that magic acc+20 2x charge stratagem..which isn't a bad idea). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 75 sch (gonna get it to 80 soon I hope), but I'm no blm, I'm no whm..I'm like a rdm +1 lol. I can heal really well, and I can nuke really well, but I'm not top dog in the long run for any of those roles. (Ebullience and Rapture help a ton, but in the end I know I'm 2nd best in the nuke game, and healing game, despite how much Sch's like to boast their skills hehe).
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-04 06:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Stone V isn't as powerful as people make it out to be. It doesn't even compare to AM2. And as a blm that has merited thunder potency and has a thunder trial staff my thunder IV does pretty close to the same dmg.

Also you can't add weather and ebullience. You have to multiple them. Then again you should account for the lost of 5 int too for obi so it might end up close to 30% increase in dmg in not using either.

Most importantly there is only 2 peices of teal I'd nuke in and only 1 is a real improvement on a more or less ah blms nuke gear.

Also if you aren't using strats and nuking decently fast might as well have been resting for mp
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-04 06:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

@Das, you have to think ahead to Thunder V. If you don't think that's going to beat AMIIs by 500 damage or more, I don't know what to tell you.

As far as Meteor goes, I can't say yet, what to think of it. It's actually weaker when mobs use it than when players use a normal T4 nuke. Considering Elemental Staves don't work for it (I think) and also Potency merits don't work for it, I foresee it being lackluster unless they load a ton of base DMG value into it.
[+]
By Marrs 2010-07-04 06:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury said:
Another dead horse.

Comparison including new gear as well as the V spells was already made? If so and I missed it then I'd feel dumb for this thread, if not, when new things come to light (gear in this case), you re-examine the argument, its only natural (like with new technology for one, how many times we reexamine the phone since invented?), and in a lot of cases: necessary.
[+]
By Marrs 2010-07-04 06:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

On a sidenote, where is the proof blm gets meteor? I don't doubt it, but I haven't come across anything official in my own wanderings on that.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-04 06:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
@Das, you have to think ahead to Thunder V. If you don't think that's going to beat AMIIs by 500 damage or more, I don't know what to tell you.
Sure but we aren't there yet. I'd say given current trends probably around 15% more than AM2. Well from just base dmg. Obviously arts weather etc will boost it more but less MAB will be less etc.

But wont be for awhile. And we have no idea what anyone will get. Or hell if they will even go thru with all the lvl cap increase. Also /sch weather storms!

Plus I'm betting sch doesn't get it. They are already down 1 T5 spell.

Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-04 06:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Marrs said:
On a sidenote, where is the proof blm gets meteor? I don't doubt it, but I haven't come across anything official in my own wanderings on that.
It was in the fanfest though nothing else was really said about it other than blms like to blow mp so SE will help out with meteor
By Marrs 2010-07-04 06:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
"Also you can't add weather and ebullience. You have to multiple them. Then again you should account for the lost of 5 int too for obi so it might end up close to 30% increase in dmg in not using either. "

How in the world are you getting itd be close to 30%? The only difference it seems like you state is that sch would miss the 5int from the weather obi, but if it didn't stack with ebu why would you even use the obi still? You'd jump right back into your 5 int.

As a sidenote I really don't think sch is going to miss out on T5, currently Stone V is seperated by two job lvls in comparison, just like Stone IV is, but sch still gets Thunder IV before all is done.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-04 06:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Marrs said:
How in the world are you getting itd be close to 30%? The only difference it seems like you state is that sch would miss the 5int from the weather obi, but if it didn't stack with ebu why would you even use the obi still? You'd jump right back into your 5 int.
Ebullience + weather by itself is a 32% increase in dmg unless you have day effect too. The 5 int loss might bring it down to more like 30%. But obviously dependent on alot of things.

Granted that is a dmg greater than same person on same job/subjob without those things. Not over a different person or different job
 Asura.Ebry
Server: Asura
user: Ebry
By Asura.Ebry 2010-07-04 07:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Braego
user: Braego
By Asura.Braego 2010-07-04 08:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ebry said:
[+]
 Asura.Steam
By Asura.Steam 2010-07-04 08:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Braego said:
Asura.Ebry said:
[+]
 Fenrir.Empedocles
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Empedocles 2010-07-04 08:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not wait until the 99 cap update comes in and things are tested?

Then you'll have all the actual information available and can debate that, rather than wasteful hypothesising.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-07-04 16:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ebry said:
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
user: Jornna
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-07-04 16:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva do you take Stormsurge into consideration when talking about obi, etc?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-04 17:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Doesn't really apply to T5 spells for now does it...

Anyways This
Fenrir.Empedocles said:

Then you'll have all the actual information available and can debate that, rather than wasteful hypothesising.
We have no idea what crazy *** ***SE will do. I mean where the *** did manawall come from? I love it but no way did I see anything like that coming
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-07-04 17:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Sylph.Kimble said:

Anyways This
Fenrir.Empedocles said:

We have no idea what crazy *** ***SE will do. I mean where the *** did manawall come from? I love it but no way did I see anything like that coming

Sorry, I misread what you were saying. I thought you were talking about SCH nuking TIV and BLM TIV.
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-04 17:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Sylph.Kimble said:

Anyways This
Fenrir.Empedocles said:

Sorry, I misread what you were saying. I thought you were talking about SCH nuking TIV and BLM TIV.

Stormsurge still doesn't make a difference. Unless DEX increases SCH/BLM potency now, then I'll go eat my ***.

This thread needs to die.
[+]
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-07-04 17:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM Wins!
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-07-04 17:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, most SCHS would stick to Ice nukes because of the +7 INT is what I meant.

T was meant to be Tier not Thunder. Sorry.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-04 17:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Well, most SCHS would stick to Ice nukes because of the 7 INT is what I meant.

T was meant to be Tier not Thunder. Sorry.

Gotcha, my bad.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-04 17:18:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
RDM Wins!
Sometimes. I've come with some bad blms and done more dmg with them consistenly with thunder III MB then they did thunder IV MB lol.
 Gilgamesh.Nezea
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Nezea
By Gilgamesh.Nezea 2010-07-04 17:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Stone V isn't as powerful as people make it out to be. It doesn't even compare to AM2.

In case you can't remember something that happened like a few days ago, I refer you back to the latter part of the following thread:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=11030

While not true for BLM, SCH's tier V is capable of being very comparable to AM2. In fact, by the time they get Water V they will probably already be able to exceed AM2 damage and it won't even be a contest by the time they get Thunder V.

There's a very recent comparison of SCH and BLM nukes in the above thread for anyone who's interested in this.

By Marrs 2010-07-04 17:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Empedocles said:

Because currently its lvl 80 cap, and will be for awhile, and will I even still be playing this game when 99 comes around if 14's out. I doubt it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-04 17:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Well if you want to compare that way using full stormsurge merits with icestorm or whatever its called on non ice day, sch would get that +7 but lose 5 for waist and at 75 sch would have about 2 less base anyways. So evens out.

Weather plus accession is 32% increase in dmg. Assuming assuming blm nuking in about 85 MAB the 18 extra from job trait will be about 10% more dmg.

At this point sch on blizz 4 is about 19% ahead on dmg so at this point it comes down to gearing.

At this point sch will probably win but limiting yourself to bliz4 is kinda lame. Not to mention using ebullience is not as mp efficient as sticking to parsimony. Not to mention it would be more efficient boosting a more powerful spell and if you were going for spike dmg (which is certainly useful) go for the biggest spike
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-07-04 17:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think Stone V is that bad is it? I mean, obviously it can't MB with Light/Dark and also most BLM I know have 5/5 Ice/Thunder potency anyway, but just now (dinged 78 and got scroll) I managed to do a 1411 Stone V, and my BLM gear really isn't much to rave about.

Edit: I mean more for MP efficiency.
First Page 2