Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » Question for the Admin
Question for the Admin
By Priest 2010-07-02 23:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Admin,

I was just running around checking things out, and as always some of the posts always get out of hand. Not trying to stir up anything or cause issues, but a comment in regards to anonymous posts being done by the same people using different accounts was brought up. Though I think the Admin that called it out was dead on about what was going on, but it did get me thinking.

So my question is this? When this is happening are the admin looking at the IP address or Accounts? I used to be a hardcore Allakhazam fan until one of my roommates was baned from using the site for the very reason. At the time I had 4 roommates all playing FFXI (Love Gamer Houses), as such we would often all use Allakhazam at the same times, especially on days where the game was down. If a post happened where people were, well rude, and all us roommates got in on it, the admin started treating us like we were the same person, all because the IP address was the same, though we were from different computers. I know for a fact many people out there are husband and Wife, go to friends with laptops (As I am doing now) or even whole families that play.

Again, not trying to start anything. I was just wondering how the admin is looking at this issue... Btw, love the new change that you have to verify your accounts to post.

Thanks, your friend and Fan
Priest
[+]
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-07-03 01:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

This wasn't a serious enough issue to post a thread about; if you were curious a PM would have sufficed.

That being said, if what you mentioned was the case in the Seilin thread, then it is what it is. By the way things were iterated in the thread, however, this doesn't seem to be the case. Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

Regardless, there's no real need for an explanation anyways, as it's not a serious offense against forum regulations. I just personally felt that it was a very disrespectful act towards those who took the time to read the entire thread.
By Priest 2010-07-03 02:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I dont disagree with the Admin calling people on it. Just got me thinking about the What ifs... I would hate to see someone blamed all because an IP address was the same as there husbands, wifes, brothers, sisters or others. I was just interested to know if admin are looking at more then just IP address. In the case of the Seilin thread, I believe that the Admin made the correct call. I only know of 2 people who where at the same IP address being that they where husband and wife, so when the admin claimed so many, I would agree with them.

The post wasn't really had anything to do with the Seilin post anyways, rather it just brought something to my attention that I was curious to see what the Admin are doing and thought others would like to know too. It wasn't my intent to cause drama or anything over it. I wasn't one of the people posting on different accounts. Just curious, nothing more!

Priest
 Ragnarok.Ezzi
user: Serey
By Ragnarok.Ezzi 2010-07-03 02:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Priest said:
Oh I dont disagree with the Admin calling people on it. Just got me thinking about the What ifs... I would hate to see someone blamed all because an IP address was the same as there husbands, wifes, brothers, sisters or others. I was just interested to know if admin are looking at more then just IP address. In the case of the Seilin thread, I believe that the Admin made the correct call. I only know of 2 people who where at the same IP address being that they where husband and wife, so when the admin claimed so many, I would agree with them. The post wasn't really had anything to do with the Seilin post anyways, rather it just brought something to my attention that I was curious to see what the Admin are doing and thought others would like to know too. It wasn't my intent to cause drama or anything over it. I wasn't one of the people posting on different accounts. Just curious, nothing more! Priest

How discipline is handled would usually be done confidentially no? I mean yeah someone was bitching and moaning and got their account banned, but then they made another and continued. So it falls down to last resort of actually banning the IP, I guess you should take it up with whoever was really kicking up the drama.
By tingletaru 2010-07-03 02:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Anye said:
This wasn't a serious enough issue to post a thread about; if you were curious a PM would have sufficed.

That being said, if what you mentioned was the case in the Seilin thread, then it is what it is. By the way things were iterated in the thread, however, this doesn't seem to be the case. Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

Regardless, there's no real need for an explanation anyways, as it's not a serious offense against forum regulations. I just personally felt that it was a very disrespectful act towards those who took the time to read the entire thread.

I actually appreciate that Priest posted a thread about it, as it is a very valid and interesting question in my opinion... one that I had not thought of myself. I actually love when people post questions like this so that everyone can see the response, rather than sending a PM and receiving another PM back. No one else would be able to see the answer that way.

The question applies to everyone, I think. Is it a very important question? No, but a valid one nonetheless. I don't post much on the forums at all, so I don't have to worry about this issue, but it is good information to know. It reached out to my own curiosity as well! :)

With all that said, I don't think Priest was bringing up anything about the anon accounts, since I think the IP/Account question pertains to any other problem as well. I can see why he asked it... If one of us had a roommate who had access to the forums and broke several rules here on the forums, I think it would be important to know if we ourselves would also be banned due to using the same IP address?

I personally don't know how all of this works, as I'm not that technologically-inclined... I'm currently working on my MA of English, not technology, haha! ;) So, basically, I would just like to know the answer as well, if only out of curiosity.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-07-03 02:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, in that case, IP bans are only reserved for very special cases. If that were an issue, as long as we're notified of the situation, we can ban accounts separately.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-07-03 02:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Priest said:
I wasn't one of the people posting on different accounts. Just curious, nothing more!
Mmmmmmmmk.
 Ragnarok.Ezzi
By Ragnarok.Ezzi 2010-07-03 02:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Priest said:
I wasn't one of the people posting on different accounts. Just curious, nothing more!
Mmmmmmmmk.

Seems fishy!
 Unicorn.Roxanna
Server: Unicorn
user: Roxanna
By Unicorn.Roxanna 2010-07-03 03:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ezzi said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Priest said:
Mmmmmmmmk.

Seems fishy!

How I mine for Feesh?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ezzi
By Ragnarok.Ezzi 2010-07-03 03:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Roxanna said:
Ragnarok.Ezzi said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Priest said:
Mmmmmmmmk.
Seems fishy!
How I mine for Feesh?

i dont know! ;-; STOP YELLING AT ME *cryface*
By Priest 2010-07-03 09:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ezzi said:
How discipline is handled would usually be done confidentially no? I mean yeah someone was bitching and moaning and got their account banned, but then they made another and continued. So it falls down to last resort of actually banning the IP, I guess you should take it up with whoever was really kicking up the drama.

In my case years ago with Allakhazam only the account that had issues was baned, not the IP address. But it was baned becasue one he was the main person in the house using the account and two because admin on Alla just really didnt like him.

I don't agree with Banning IP address personally. As for banning accounts I would bet that on this site someone will have to be doing something very bad first. Rather then just disagreeing with Admin. Myself and my Roommates stop using Allakhazam because the Admin where editing posts and changing wording so it suited the Admin point of view, rather then let people talk about issues, even when posts werent troll threads. Combind with them openly posting on the forums that all us roommates where on the same IP address. Which of course cause huge problems as many players in game knew and even seem all us roommates play game at the same time, and I dont mean like Gil PTs LOL.

I have no issues with Admin here, in fact I very much like how they do handle things. Anye not only buts her 2 cents in, but also moderates within reason. She has a Fan in me for sure! In regards to the Seilin post She made the right call. Things where getting out of hand and off topic anyways.

Anye I love you! Keep up the great work and thanks for posting a reply!

Priest

[+]
By Priest 2010-07-03 09:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ezzi said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Priest said:
Mmmmmmmmk.
Seems fishy!

LOL
Priest said:
I know for a fact many people out there are husband and Wife, go to friends with laptops (As I am doing now) or even whole families that play. Again, not trying to start anything.

Had to laugh at this, mostly because when I over at Azarrra (A irl friends) for the weekend on my Laptop! So that might of seened funny to admin if they looked. But it was also one the reasons why it got me thinking the What ifs. LOL

Really shoud of read all the posts... feel like I am spaming my own thead LOL

Priest
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ezzi
By Ragnarok.Ezzi 2010-07-03 10:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Double post!BAN BAN BAN!
By Priest 2010-07-03 10:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn cant seem to find an edit option anywhere... so again more spam.

Sadly I have been just informed that my fears of this post have been comfirmed. Wish it wasn't so but I have been mistaken for 2 other people just because I am mobile! So, sadly this now have become a warning to other players. If your like myself and post from others places, be careful!

to clarify Publicly;

[Friend’s IP] 2010-07-03 10:15:53 = Out at a friends
[Friend’s IP] 2010-07-03 09:22:09 = Out at a friends
[Friend’s IP] 2010-07-03 01:53:24 = Out at a friends
[Friend’s IP] 2010-07-03 00:04:20 = Out at a friends
[Friend’s IP] 2010-07-02 23:26:39 = Out at a friends
[Home IP] 2010-07-01 23:14:27 = At home!!!!
[Home IP] 2010-07-01 23:14:19 = At home!!!!
[Home IP] 2010-07-01 22:52:11 = At home!!!!
[Home IP] 2010-07-01 20:44:55 = At home!!!!
[Home IP] 2010-07-01 17:20:38 = At home!!!!

Do I have to post everytime I go somewhere with a irl friend that plays and useing this site that I am using their IP.

Now, I was very happy until just a few minutes ago when I discovered all this was going on and that what I feared is happening. Though I haven't recieved or been punished for it, I still feel singled out. Not only did admin make a bad call, but now I feel that the Seilin Post was perhaps missed called on. As I didn't concider myself being one of the people accused of posting on multiple accounts. As such this is my last post on FFXIAH.

OK, that was a little drama... But now I am pissed and calling Admin out on this one! Shame Shame!

Byes, and see you in game, feel free to look me up, character same name in game!

Priest
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-07-03 10:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

<,> morning drama?
whatever happened to making love in the morning...
 Asura.Yurisaki
Server: Asura
user: Yurisaki
By Asura.Yurisaki 2010-07-03 13:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

100% not saying this is the case!

But this whole thread seems like it screams - I got caught out but with this I can explain my self...

just seems like 1 big excuse

(again not saying it is but that is how it reads)
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-07-03 15:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Priest said:

Sadly I have been just informed that my fears of this post have been comfirmed. Wish it wasn't so but I have been mistaken for 2 other people just because I am mobile! So, sadly this now have become a warning to other players. If your like myself and post from others places, be careful!

to clarify Publicly;

I can confirm this, Priest is telling the full truth here--er, despite posting those IPs, I won't issue out a warning here, he was only posting in his defense.
Priest said:
Do I have to post everytime I go somewhere with a irl friend that plays and useing this site that I am using their IP.

Now, I was very happy until just a few minutes ago when I discovered all this was going on and that what I feared is happening. Though I haven't recieved or been punished for it, I still feel singled out. Not only did admin make a bad call, but now I feel that the Seilin Post was perhaps missed called on. As I didn't concider myself being one of the people accused of posting on multiple accounts. As such this is my last post on FFXIAH.

OK, that was a little drama... But now I am pissed and calling Admin out on this one! Shame Shame!

Byes, and see you in game, feel free to look me up, character same name in game!

Priest
I apologize for implying you were among the ones posing as multiple characters--since this wasn't the case, I'll just confirm it clearly that Priest himself wasn't one of these people. Which doesn't mean that this wasn't going on--just that Priest wasn't one of them. I did state it was merely opinion in this thread, and didn't address it as fact. :( My opinion was poorly based, in this case.

Anyways, my point still stands that this sort of action isn't a "bannable offense" but rather disrespectful towards the people who take the time to read player warning threads. I didn't release names to the public for their sakes, so hopefully this won't become a major issue.
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-07-03 16:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Priest said:

to clarify Publicly;

I can confirm this, Priest is telling the full truth here--er, despite posting those IPs, I won't issue out a warning here, he was only posting in his defense.
Priest said:

Priest
I apologize for implying you were among the ones posing as multiple characters--since this wasn't the case, I'll just confirm it clearly that Priest himself wasn't one of these people. Which doesn't mean that this wasn't going on--just that Priest wasn't one of them. I did state it was merely opinion in this thread, and didn't address it as fact. :( My opinion was poorly based, in this case.

Anyways, my point still stands that this sort of action isn't a "bannable offense" but rather disrespectful towards the people who take the time to read player warning threads. I didn't release names to the public for their sakes, so hopefully this won't become a major issue.

I didn't do a thing either!

*ly runs away!*
[+]