users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Store TP (Lv. 68 Cobra Unit Armour) on RNG
Store TP (Lv. 68 Cobra Unit Armour) on RNG
 Asura.Zemzerrett
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Zemzerrett 2008-12-30 21:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Would this gear be acceptable on rng (particularly RNG/SAM), in say merit parties, or doing things such as NMs or KSNMs? Being an aspiring Ranger, I'm doing a bit of research first.

This is the current set-up I have in mind here. It uses the current equipment that I posses, and going to obtain. I can't afford any of the really expensive items, and I'm not in a HNMLS so there's no "God Gear" on there.

Of course, equipment would be changed though macros for weapon skills and the like.

I just want to see other peoples opinion on the topic, or anything they would suggest for Ranger.
 Bismarck.Nours
Server: Bismarck
user:
By Bismarck.Nours 2008-12-30 23:22:54
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

10 Store TP is only a mere increase of 1 TP by hit. You'd be better off using Ranged Accuracy / Attack IMO.
 Ramuh.Stryyker
Server: Ramuh
user: Stryyker
By Ramuh.Stryyker 2008-12-31 02:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

In my opinion, as a RNG try to focus on STR and AGI as well as balancing in r.acc. Most of the time especially in merit parties they want you to spit out nasty SIDEWINDERS with the occasional ARCHING ARROW. the modifiers for these two (i know sidewinder for sure) is STR and AGI. on top of that coeurl subs help dramatically. i used this strat all the way to 75. Rarely missed, put out no less than 1000+ sidewinders after 58-60ish. and at 75 1200 minimum. with selene's bow (forgot to mention that - Eurytos/vali overcamped and over priced so i didn't bother after a while.)
 Shiva.Arroon
Server: Shiva
user: Arroon
By Shiva.Arroon 2008-12-31 03:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I am only a 62Rng/Nin but i go all out on +R Acc on tp build and macro in some +Str gear and +Agi gear for Sidewinders / Slugshots. better Acc will let you build TP faster than having store TP gear IMO. Although i dont put out the Dmg numbers of Some Rng (only have War Bow+1 atm 0/5 on Vali's ;;)i hardly ever miss and still go over 900+ Dmg on WS's
 Bahamut.Cyr
Server: Bahamut
user: Cyr
By Bahamut.Cyr 2008-12-31 03:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You're thinking along the right lines. Most semi-decent 75rngs have a 6shot build using rajas, chausses, and brutal. A whole entire shot less to WS makes a huge difference. This is exactly the same as a sam using a 6hit gkat build. If you aren't doing 6-hit, you are doing it wrong; the same goes for RNG.

However, I don't think your setup will reduce the number of shots needed to fill your TP bar :\
Server: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-12-31 09:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

More importantly, have fun playing RNG. The mentality of "do this or you're doing it wrong" is a bit cancerous, in my opinion. While it may be a good strategy, ultimately, it really starts to smell like the old guy at the blackjack table telling you how to play your money. ^^
 Asura.Zemzerrett
By Asura.Zemzerrett 2008-12-31 10:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for the advice so far.

I have a set-up worked out about to about 25 STR and 26 AGI Weapons Skills along with bit of Ranged Accuracy, so roughly 50/50 on those Attributes, Should I focus on one Attribute say like STR more that the other, in term of increasing damage from Weapon Skills? Is there an Attribute ratio that works effectively for someone?
 Ramuh.Stryyker
By Ramuh.Stryyker 2008-12-31 11:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

from my own numbers and personal experience, the more STR you pile on the better the ranged attack. In a way (even if your ead up a little bit on wiki or whereever i read it) ranged attack is kinda like regular attack when it comes to strength. I think its 2 str to 1 attk/r.attk. (yeah i think it was on wiki) (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Ranged_Attack) anyway personally i load up a little bit more on str than agility because youre base (depending on race im hume) is a lot higher than your other stats. This is kind of another reason why rng's like to go /sam because of hasso and what not if you cant't like kriegsbel. I use kriegs, francisca, ame mantle +1 and rajas with galorous ring. just as a general set up. I'll get back after i see some comments and what you think would be good. ultimately like someone said earlier this should be more suggestion to guide you in your own decision and not set in stone as "THE" thing to do.
 Bahamut.Cyr
Server: Bahamut
user: Cyr
By Bahamut.Cyr 2008-12-31 14:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Disintegration said:
More importantly, have fun playing RNG. The mentality of "do this or you're doing it wrong" is a bit cancerous, in my opinion. While it may be a good strategy, ultimately, it really starts to smell like the old guy at the blackjack table telling you how to play your money. ^^

I am that old guy.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-12-31 14:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Disintegration said:
Zemzerrett said:
Thank you for the advice so far.

I have a set-up worked out about to about 25 STR and 26 AGI Weapons Skills along with bit of Ranged Accuracy, so roughly 50/50 on those Attributes, Should I focus on one Attribute say like STR more that the other, in term of increasing damage from Weapon Skills? Is there an Attribute ratio that works effectively for someone?

I completely agree with Disintegration on the topic of "What should i do to be better..".
Honestly though this game is built on facts. Its a science. Str does a certain thing Agi does a certain thing etc. My advice to people is to test things out for yourself. Take off all or a majority of your AGI and see what you do. Whats your dmg, your TP, hows your acc, etc. Then flip, take off STR and add AGI back on. See the pro's and cons for yourself and figure out where u want to be. or can afford to be. Hell you may just find out something new, that someone didnt do their own research correctly or that something has changed. While facts are facts, people dont have to be *** about how other people play either. =p Have fun!

P.S. not refering to anyone in this post fyi...
 Asura.Zemzerrett
By Asura.Zemzerrett 2008-12-31 18:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to find out in advance what works effectively, so I'm prepared... not how I can be better. I don't want to buy a lot of equipment to find out it's not going to work for me.
 Ramuh.Stryyker
By Ramuh.Stryyker 2008-12-31 20:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess putting it in that sense for RNG. STR, AGI, ranged accuracy, and finally ranged attack is your best and most basic bet to build your "perfect" ranger around. anythign else is up to you but those 3 things are crucial. that's why eurytos bow/ vali's bow is so coveted because of the stats on that thing. STR ranged atk and agi all rolled in one. (i like selene's bow personally but do not like the randomness of it's stats due to moon phases.) Just a little of my 2 cents to help guide ya