New Puppetmaster Seeking Advice!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » New Puppetmaster seeking advice!
New Puppetmaster seeking advice!
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-06-02 03:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Silvaria said:
Phoenix.Degs said:

the only way you can have the auto cure you outside of battle is by throwing up a light manuever, and deploying on a mob, and then simply retrieving it before it casts anything else after the cure, if you do this though make sure that you do not have flashbulb equipped as this will go off before the cure will, thusly grabbing the mob....

Ahh, OK. Hm...going to have to work with this a bit, as well as some other suggestions.

Damn, I'm all excited, I think this is going to be a fun-*** job! I don't know why so many laugh at it, I only did that at the beginning to ward off those who would, LOL...I'm liking my little Muffin, everyone likes him and in general he's just a very nice guy to be around.

All hail Muffin!!! Hypnotoad!!!

Thanks guys, I'll check back later to see what other words of wisdom you may have imparted. 8)

Fixed!
 Leviathan.Dubont
Server: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-06-02 03:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

hyp-no-toad...
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2010-06-02 03:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I cant log in right now and I dont really remember since I havent been playing lately but if you deploy your maton and as soon as it starts casting you retrive it, the spell should go off even if the mob dies, assuming its not a spell like a nuke, since if the mob dies obviously your maton wont get the nuke off, but if its like Cure V then it should go off. Methods of curing yourself that way are the same outside of battle, you have to be careful when doing out of battle though, do it wrong and your maton will claim the mob with an enfeeble.
 Caitsith.Silvaria
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-06-02 03:49:36
Link | Quote | Reply

OMG OMG OMG....it's...the Hypno Toad!!!

I humbly stand corrected.....

All hail the HypnoToad!!!!
 Caitsith.Silvaria
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-06-02 03:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ruizutatakau said:
I cant log in right now and I dont really remember since I havent been playing lately but if you deploy your maton and as soon as it starts casting you retrive it, the spell should go off even if the mob dies, assuming its not a spell like a nuke, since if the mob dies obviously your maton wont get the nuke off, but if its like Cure V then it should go off. Methods of curing yourself that way are the same outside of battle, you have to be careful when doing out of battle though, do it wrong and your maton will claim the mob with an enfeeble.

Hnmm...OK, I'm about to go out and try some of all this tonight. With all the suggestions I'm getting here, I'm BOUND to get one of them right,eh? 8P
 Phoenix.Degs
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-06-02 03:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Silvaria said:
Bismarck.Ruizutatakau said:

Hnmm...OK, I'm about to go out and try some of all this tonight. With all the suggestions I'm getting here, I'm BOUND to get one of them right,eh? 8P

Just mess around with the various things we have all talked about here, you'll be ok, dont let people drag you down to their level, there will always be haters of this job, and most of them are newbs and dont know anything about this game in the first place!

have fun with it, Pup is a very versatile job and can do so much in this game
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-06-02 04:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

idk if anybody had advised you on this (i read the thread, but i might have missed it), but level 40, get the whm turban first!!! its a lot more useful than the blm turban honestly...don't get me wrong, with auto magic merits and such the blm turban is BEASTLY for nuking mobs, but still, the whm is the one that will heal party members and such if they need you to.....

and did anybody explain the greatest solo trick on pup? the deactivate >> reactivate mp filling technique?

If you deactivate your pup with full hp, you can resummon it, regardless of cooldown on active, as it will be reset activate's cooldown by dismissing your puppet at 100% hp...so what this means is, you can have your puppet heal spam you, til its absolutely out of juice, and if its at 100% hp, you can deactivate and immediately resummon it and it will have full mp to heal spam you again....

I used the hell out of this trick, when I soloed colibri for nice self chains on pup/war..I used /war and evade+ gears so that I can voke so my puppet never ever got hit since colibri have no AOES, so I had an unlimited mp cure bot that had regen 3 and cure 5
 Phoenix.Miraun
user: Miraun
By Phoenix.Miraun 2010-06-02 04:54:17
Link | Quote | Reply

A couple pieces of advice:

1) ATTACHMENTS. Get them all. PUP is a cheap job to level, most of the gear for it sucks til AF anyway. There is a large upfront cost, but minimal costs on the way from 1 to win.

Here are some vital, expensive attachments:

Turbo Charger: Haste... at level 1... win

Attuner: Ignores the level difference in the damage equation (pDIF+.15 per level... very significant)

Target Marker: Ignores the level difference for accuracy equations (ACC+... 3% per level... or something like that?)

Coiler: Double attack... pair this up with target Marker/etc, and it's nice additional TP gain.

Condenser: Nice for any mage frame

Tranquilizer: M.ACC... you're gonna be using Ice anyway.

Ice Maker: More M.ATT relative to the Loudspeakers, so it's nice.

Optic Fiber: Almost never take it off.

Damage Gauge: Necessary for WHM duty.

Mana Conserver: Screw converter, you can always DAD for MP.

2) Never /WHM... Use /SCH if you ever need to heal, Sublimination's effects are awesome for PUP with our high HP relative to our MP pool.

3) MACROS... if you can, get windower, get more advanced macros... if you can boost your stats for your maneuvers, it'll only reduce the burden towards overloading.
 Siren.Aem
Server: Siren
user: alekandr
By Siren.Aem 2010-06-02 06:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

My Advice for 1-75. Party Style.

One:
Bird Camps - Ranger Automaton.

1 x Fire 2 x Thunder (Rotate)
Turbo Charger
Coiler
ACC Attachments.

Increase TP gain exponentially, and allows you to spam Daze (Having a fire maneuver up with initiate Arcuballista so just let it drop)

Two:
Sub /DRG before 60, the Accuracy Bonus is very nice, as well as TP gain from Jump's, and obviously helps with enmity. Add Swift Belt and Wyvern Earring for decent haste.

Camp Virtuoso Belt and Birdbanes. We get no good gear pre-75. These will make or break you as a PUP or lolPUP.

Three:
For absolute lols, looks, and cheers at 75: This "itemset" Double March and Haste makes for ABSOLUTE fun times. 26% Gear Haste! And non-salvage-affordable-pieces!

Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2010-06-02 06:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Two: Sub /DRG before 60, the Accuracy Bonus is very nice, as well as TP gain from Jump's, and obviously helps with enmity. Add Swift Belt and Wyvern Earring for decent haste.

Only sub /drg with a wyvern earring. /war will outparce /drg otherwise with zerk and DA.

Also, listen to Miraun, He's a smart cookie!
 Siren.Aem
By Siren.Aem 2010-06-02 06:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Jiko said:
Quote:
Two: Sub /DRG before 60, the Accuracy Bonus is very nice, as well as TP gain from Jump's, and obviously helps with enmity. Add Swift Belt and Wyvern Earring for decent haste.

Only sub /drg with a wyvern earring. /war will outparce /drg otherwise with zerk and DA.

Also, listen to Miraun, He's a smart cookie!

/WAR only really pulls away on a parse after 60, pre-60 and Lesser Colibri or [Aydeewa Sub Terrane] /drg will outparse a /war (Obviously with Wyvern Earring)

After 60, even with Wyvern Earring, /war will outparse /DRG.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-06-02 07:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

How would jumps help with enmity pre-60? >_>
 Siren.Aem
By Siren.Aem 2010-06-02 07:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:

I did say Jumps, as in, Dragoon used longer than 60. I never said swap for /war. Just a personal opinion, /drg is definitely the sub of choice pre-60, and after if you enjoy it!
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-06-02 07:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Aem said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:

I did say Jumps, as in, Dragoon used longer than 60. I never said swap for /war. Just a personal opinion, /drg is definitely the sub of choice pre-60, and after if you enjoy it!

Ah, I assumed you ment before 60 :P
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-06-02 13:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

@OP

leveling Sharpshot - go to areas where mobs con EP or DC to you, then unleash Sharpshot with the following attachments: Scope, Drum Magazine (faster RNG attacks), Armor Plate, Shock Absorber, Stabilizer 1/2, Heat Seeker, Coiler (quick tp gain). When you get to Daze and Armor Piercer, you will need Replicator, Equalizer to absorb the massive amount of hate gain Muffin will get.

In bird parties, RNG Frame is king. With the right attachments, you can put most RNGs AND SAMs to shame.

Solo, use Soulsoother (I'm sure you already know this).

Dress for ACC and EVA build, especially when you solo (you'll live longer).

Also, with Wind/Earth/Thunder/Fire attachments (Accelerator) can turn Muffin into a tank bot cz those will boost EVA, DEF, ATT, and ACC.

Good luck with the job :)
 Phoenix.Kryptik
user: phawk23
By Phoenix.Kryptik 2010-06-04 06:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

All im saying is if you are serious about PUP then dont SMN burn it and use sharpshot throughout leveling up because skilling that ***up in the long run is hard as ***.