Is It Worth Even Playing This Game From The Beginning?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » is it worth even playing this game from the beginning?
is it worth even playing this game from the beginning?
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-05-22 00:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It should only take you maybe a couple weeks or so to get a job leveled to 37, at least that's been the experiences of friends I've seen return to the game and have to start over lately. Just have to pay attention to where your skills are since a lot of party invites you get will ask you to level sync. Probably best to start some of your own parties.
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-05-22 00:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Come to Ifrit, I will hook you up with a noob LS. There all good folks and very friendly!!
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-05-22 00:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
That is not always the case.
Ramuh.Tousou said:
Obviously, this won't always be the case

Also, I think the FF14 thing is somewhat funny. There are tons of games (MMOs and Otherwise) that will be coming out, too. Maybe not as soon, but it'll be here eventually! :D

(Yeah, I'm interested in trying out GW2, TOR, D3, etc)
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-05-22 12:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
just buy an account that is basicly at where you left off... if you just want to continue gaming that is, otherwise level 1 would be very difficult.

yeah a decent account is not that much money and really enhances your experience because you cant really hang out with people when all you can do is XP in the dunes, but do what you want to do OP! I still like the game~ and I will keep playing until ff14 comes out

what if ff14 doesnt live to your expectations!?

if 14 doesnt live to my expectations I'd prolly quit this anyways lol game is getting old unless lv99 makes it really fun to rape skygods on rdm/dnc or something I wont hang around for 3 more years to complete relics soloing dynamis zones with the other 10 people still playing
 Fenrir.Tool
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-05-22 12:58:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it, and I'm still having fun in short bursts of when I'm still able to play. However, if you don't have the time or patience for getting back on your feet or are unable to have friends help you, I would recommend playing something else or just waiting for XIV.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Weewoo
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-05-22 13:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as you truly enjoy the game and everything within it; ie: gameplay, jobs, music, storyline, graphics, general replay value etc. Then of course it's worth it. Just make sure you put in the effort to be socially involved and help yourself and others climb up to the top.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-22 13:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
I'm pretty confident with the right time management, say even now, people will still be able to get from 1-75 and finish CoP, RoZ and nation rank 10 in a year if they were driven to do it, easily.

i'm less than a year in, have sky, sea, 3 75s, and i'm here to tell you it's not worth trying to get rotz/cop(cop in particular) done. It's time consuming, hard to find competent players who haven't already beaten it, and it's probably not going to make you a better player in the end.

you're better off buying a cheap account with a 75 you don't plan to play, sky/sea/rajas, and taking it from there, leveling whatever you DO want to play, and having the missions already done when you're 75 so you can leap straight into endgame

this game doesn't have much time left, therefore i think it's best to skip to the fun parts before it ends.
[+]
 Phoenix.Airbag
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-05-22 14:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:
I'm pretty confident with the right time management, say even now, people will still be able to get from 1-75 and finish CoP, RoZ and nation rank 10 in a year if they were driven to do it, easily.

i'm less than a year in, have sky, sea, 3 75s, and i'm here to tell you it's not worth trying to get rotz/cop(cop in particular) done. It's time consuming, hard to find competent players who haven't already beaten it, and it's probably not going to make you a better player in the end.

you're better off buying a cheap account with a 75 you don't plan to play, sky/sea/rajas, and taking it from there, leveling whatever you DO want to play, and having the missions already done when you're 75 so you can leap straight into endgame

this game doesn't have much time left, therefore i think it's best to skip to the fun parts before it ends.

Well said '-')/ because this late in the game its extremely frustrating to find people for COP and anyone whos been playing the game for 5 years and doesnt have sea yet is obviously someone you dont want in your shout group
[+]
 Sylph.Kozuki
Server: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kozuki 2010-05-22 14:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I went 1/1 on all COP missions in shout groups !

COP BC's are easy, the cutscenes/running around is the only time consuming/hard part :(

Zilart can also be duo'd up to sky...some even solod.

You could also just farm, then shout and offer people gil to help IF you get the win.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-22 14:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
and doesnt have sea yet is obviously someone you dont want in your shout group

oh god yes

i spent lots of months experiencing this truth up close and personal
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-22 14:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kozuki said:
I went 1/1 on all COP missions in shout groups !

COP BC's are easy, the cutscenes/running around is the only time consuming/hard part :(

Zilart can also be duo'd up to sky...some even solod.

You could also just farm, then shout and offer people gil to help IF you get the win.

sure, absolutely, getting sky is no problem

i think you got incredibly lucky on cop shouts though, i have a list of horror stories

i think someone who plays legit from level one will have trouble farming up enough gil to entice multiple people to help him with cop
[+]
 Asura.Meechia
Server: Asura
user: Meechia
By Asura.Meechia 2010-05-22 15:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I know for a fact that I will not be purchasing an account. I am going to try and see if I can find the original info when I played about a year ago, and hope SE hasn't deleted it - or reset it at zero (which they did with my second time at FFXI characters). At least that character had up to the rank before airships and was at 55 or 56.

I see everyone talking about sea and COP, etc, see, when I played originally I had sky access. Since that time so much more content has been added that it seems so overwhelming. THAT'S the type of stuff that should be solable - but if like Kozuki says that parts are solable, then it will be worthwhile.

End game doesn't appeal to me as much as the getting there. If I get stuck at some point, I can always go back and begin leveling another job.

There are a lot of MMORPG's coming out - but it seems that we all return to FFXI. I have to admit that since leaving I always look for a game similar, and can't find one. Like I said, I have played WOW, maxed 1 character out, but it was too easy. Plus you have to deal with (no offense intended) kids. I've tried Everquest, Star Wars, just seems to be missing something.

But then again, FFXI has changed since it first hit the US years ago. Back then, getting in at the beginning, it was fun - there were great players and plenty of assistance, parties, etc. It seems each time I return to FFXI that it changes. More higher level players, and like I said more end game based content.

I will try out FFXIV when it comes out - hopefully it will have the same feel FFXI did years ago.

Ragnarok.Faiye
Server: Ragnarok
user: xFaiyex
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-05-22 15:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Kinkashito said:
Ramuh.Tousou said:
If you actually want to attempt to get things done, or play "catch up," you're probably better off spending your time doing something else.

I spent 3 hours shouting for help in Whitegate for WotG mission 19, and that's not exactly old like nation ranks or Zilart.

A lot of people just don't feel ambition to help people anymore. I can't say I honestly blame them, but it is frustrating when you want to get things done.

My friend had this exact same problem...

...in 2005. It took him three days of shouting in Jeuno before he got help.

Seriously when people ever feel like helping the random shouter?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-22 15:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meechia said:
Well, I know for a fact that I will not be purchasing an account. I am going to try and see if I can find the original info when I played about a year ago, and hope SE hasn't deleted it - or reset it at zero (which they did with my second time at FFXI characters). At least that character had up to the rank before airships and was at 55 or 56.

I see everyone talking about sea and COP, etc, see, when I played originally I had sky access. Since that time so much more content has been added that it seems so overwhelming. THAT'S the type of stuff that should be solable - but if like Kozuki says that parts are solable, then it will be worthwhile.

End game doesn't appeal to me as much as the getting there. If I get stuck at some point, I can always go back and begin leveling another job.

There are a lot of MMORPG's coming out - but it seems that we all return to FFXI. I have to admit that since leaving I always look for a game similar, and can't find one. Like I said, I have played WOW, maxed 1 character out, but it was too easy. Plus you have to deal with (no offense intended) kids. I've tried Everquest, Star Wars, just seems to be missing something.

But then again, FFXI has changed since it first hit the US years ago. Back then, getting in at the beginning, it was fun - there were great players and plenty of assistance, parties, etc. It seems each time I return to FFXI that it changes. More higher level players, and like I said more end game based content.

I will try out FFXIV when it comes out - hopefully it will have the same feel FFXI did years ago.

welp if you start a new character and come to carbuncle send me a tell, i will usually be willing to help
[+]
 Phoenix.Jile
user: JileFFXI
By Phoenix.Jile 2010-05-22 16:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

OP - Perhaps its just your server.

I still see shouts for new linkshells all the time in Sandy, there are still opportunities to start fresh.

If you love the game and it sounds like you do, take the time to shout and find a noob shell where there will be more than a few needing rank/level breaks....

<welcome back>
Asura.Meechia said:
Errrr - make this my FOURTH time.

At least I'm persistent! and this time I hope to leave my account active IF I leave again.

If you're just canceling the content ID I'm surprised your not able to just reactivate >.< but that sucks.
By Lockedown 2010-05-24 15:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

dont listen to these douchebags telling u to buy gil or an account, come to alexander server and lookup the LS Throatstab, we have quite a few new people to the game. Infact I started not even a month ago and already have achieved rank 5 with the help of the linkshell as well as 4 jobs over lvl 30, and every spell up to level 56 for my Blue Mage.

Look us up, we'd be happy to help.
 Phoenix.Hardcandy
By Phoenix.Hardcandy 2010-05-25 08:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I just came back about a week ago, and have found it to be okay.

I found a LS who has been good to me and has helped with some basic stuff (Kazham keys, subjob items, etc.).

The biggest challenge for me so far is that I am not a huge fan of soloing but it has been challenging to find low level groups.

I say keep at it though. My experience is that this game is largely based on networking and relationships. If you are good to people, they will generally be good to you. Don't rush it and the game will move forward just fine for you.

By Zekko 2010-05-25 08:32:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Buy a cheap account for like $50 and just go from there. Unless you want to have a nostalgic experience i'd suggest against starting again. It's impossible to catach up to anyone that has been playing the game for 3-4 years.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-25 08:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
Buy a cheap account for like $50 and just go from there. Unless you want to have a nostalgic experience i'd suggest against starting again. It's impossible to catach up to anyone that has been playing the game for 3-4 years.

I dont suggest in buying a acct but its true when you hit End game and need around 7~9mil to FULLY max out gear your dude and the last last person on the lot list is kinda depressing
 Bahamut.Habs
Server: Bahamut
user: habs
By Bahamut.Habs 2010-05-25 09:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
only losers buy gil or accounts.and who exacally is he trying to catch and what exacally?if you think walking around on a job thats 75 and you dont have a clue how to play it.wouldnt you think people would notice?i can tell how good some1 is by the gear they wear,doesnt have to be epeen.but they need to have a clue.you buddy giving advice like that are a moron.

if you choose a job like smn you can get to 75 in a week.if that long.
By whtbullitt 2010-05-25 09:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:

Well said '-')/ because this late in the game its extremely frustrating to find people for COP and anyone whos been playing the game for 5 years and doesnt have sea yet is obviously someone you dont want in your shout group

So because someone does not have sea after 5 years makes them a bad player now? Your assumption is totally asinine. I have been playing this game since beta and I don't have sea. Why? I don't care. I play to have fun and I have a life that I can't spend hours on end playing. It is called being an adult.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-25 09:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

whtbullitt said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:

So because someone does not have sea after 5 years makes them a bad player now? Your assumption is totally asinine. I have been playing this game since beta and I don't have sea. Why? I don't care. I play to have fun and I have a life that I can't spend hours on end playing. It is called being an adult.

statistically you are almost certainly a bad player

i'd be willing to bet that you're terrible

I'M NOT IN EXCELLENCE BECAUSE UM I'M AN ADULT AND UM I GOT BETTER STUFF TO DO

anyone can play the sour grapes game

[+]
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
Server: Sylph
user: Katniss
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-05-25 09:46:05
Link | Quote | Reply

dunno what you guys talkin about... since the merge there are way more parties than before and also more shouts.

i know several ppl that started the game during the last 8 months or so - and already have their first 75. w/o AF burns, cheating or PLing.

a lot of ppl I know also completed COP, TOA or ZM recently. Just have to find a nice LS, preferably w/ other new players or ones who started a 2nd char and team up. can always shout for the remaining members (gonna be patient tho. preferably do this on a weekend and watch TV / DVDs or read a book while shouting).

and again. WTF... how can anyone be seeking 3 days and not get an invite? If i seek longer than 30 min i get annoyed and start an own party and keep /sea all 37-74 and start an eron pty or wajaom or w/e my current level is.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-25 09:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I wont say the person is a bad player but I like completing stuff so Yeah you would LIKE to complete CoP and get that sexy ring too
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-25 09:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
Well I wont say the person is a bad player but I like completing stuff so Yeah you would LIKE to complete CoP and get that sexy ring too

i won't say it for absolute certain

given the ratio of good/bad longtime players without sea access

i'd call it more of a 4 out of 5 chance for people in general

it's also worth noting that i said "hard to find competent players who haven't already beaten it" and not "impossible to find competent players who haven't already beaten it."

still the complainer in particular it's more of a 99 out of 100 chance. yeah, he's almost certainly terrible. otherwise he would have said "here are my gearsets" and not "QQQQQ I'M AN ADULT(arent almost all of the players these days?) I'M TOO COOL FOR THIS GAEM ANYWAYS RL CARD RL CARD etc."
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-25 09:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ramuh.Thunderz said:

i won't say it for absolute certain

given the ratio of good/bad longtime players without sea access

i'd call it more of a 4 out of 5 chance

it's also worth noting that i said "hard to find competent players who haven't already beaten it" and not "impossible to find competent players who haven't already beaten it."

but that one guy who QQed about it? yeah, he's almost certainly terrible. otherwise he would have said "here are my gersets" and not "QQQQQ I'M AN ADULT(arent almost all of the players these days?) I'M TOO COOL FOR THIS GAEM ANYWAYS RL CARD RL CARD etc."

Oh I get that hehe. Also getting people for CoP is hard as hell. I did it twice, once for my bro but that part was somewhat smooth. When I did mine damn... it was drama all the way into sea access. But to the point post was full of QQ :P
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-25 10:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, you can see by the title i got mine about a week ago, after playing about a year

i joined a static, the leader left early on and i took over, and it was ...painful to say the least

in any case, it's where i get my opinion of most players who have played forever without getting sea from
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-25 10:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I was put in the same scenario. perma starts up and suddenly I ended up lead and scheduling/setting up the whole thing. What I dont get is after 1~2 years wouldn't you spend 1month getting access to sea(ring)??? big waste of time imo