Populism And Nationalism On The Rise In Europe

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Populism and nationalism on the rise in Europe
Populism and nationalism on the rise in Europe
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 16 17 18
 Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-12-14 13:41:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Siren.Akson said: »
Bahamut.Kara said: »
In the US some people still have issues with how the civil war (or war of northern aggression) turned out. There have been many more problems/wars between countries in Europe and people/families have long memories.
The US part is kinda laughable cuz it's not exactly reality but I'll accept the EU report.
You are seriously trying to argue that there aren't people in the US that still have issues with how the civil war was resolved?
Maybe you could point some ppl out to me instead of making such a blanket statement.
Quote:
You may want to do more than just pledge allegiance to the flag (which, by the way, isn't freedom you are pledging to), and actually learn a bit about that country (and what it stands for).

And as actions speak louder than words, take "what it stands for" and compare it to the actions it has taken (both overt and covert) around the world.
The land of big business corporations spreading into foreign territories? Is that your point or do you want to be a little more specific?
Kinder eggs are illegal in the US.
Cower in fear from the threatening Kinder Egg of DOOOOOOOOOOOM!
I don't even have to go through all the legal paper work to see how a toy hidden inside a chocolate candy for children could potentially be a choking hazard. Yeah Illegal guns should definitely not exist. Kinder Eggs are irrelevant.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-12-14 14:00:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
This is a victory for everyone in Europe.
Estrosi is literally worse than Marion. It's very simple, if Marion was aids, Estrosi was Ebola. The only difference, which is actually pretty huge, is that Estrosi already destroyed Nice, but now, he gets to destroy the whole region. Yay.

You may have won, you, person that lives in Italy or wherever, where you won't be impacted by Estrosi. That's good for you, and for "everyone in Europe", I guess, except the very people who are actually impacted by Estrosi. The people who voted for him because of that "counter fear" effect people like to propagate.

That only time when the FN is the lesser of two evil, people like you rejoice about it because you have no idea about who is Estrosi, for you, he's the super hero we need to defeat the FN, because FN has to be defeated at all cost, amirite. I'm seriously mind blown by people's inability to shut the *** up from time to time, especially when it's things they literally are clueless about. You dun goofed.

I'm glad the FN didn't get anything but I'm very, very, very annoyed Estrosi won. Much more so than if the FN had won. At least the FN would have forced things to change and would have been a proper wake up call. Whereas Estrosi is simply going to slide big things up everyone's rectum and people like you will cheer him on for it.

Baa3.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-12-14 14:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

In the US some people still have issues with how the civil war (or war of northern aggression) turned out. There have been many more problems/wars between countries in Europe and people/families have long memories.
The US part is kinda laughable cuz it's not exactly reality but I'll accept the EU report.
You are seriously trying to argue that there aren't people in the US that still have issues with how the civil war was resolved?
Maybe you can point some ppl out to me instead of making such a blanket statement.
Shake a US white supremacy tree, and you'll find some bad apples.
Quote:
You may want to do more than just pledge allegiance to the flag (which, by the way, isn't freedom you are pledging to), and actually learn a bit about that country (and what it stands for).

And as actions speak louder than words, take "what it stands for" and compare it to the actions it has taken (both overt and covert) around the world.
The land of big business corporatations spreading into foreign territories? Is that your point or do you want to be a little more specific?
The 1953 Iranian coup?
Opposing Juan Bosch regaining power in the Dominican Republic in 1965?
Iran-Contra?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-14 14:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
random rudeness
I know you said on second page you wanted to vote for the extreme right, sorry you lost, but it's good. Nationalist sentiments tend to have a landslide effect influencing(if only slightly)other countries too. So yeah, we care in all of Europe, it isn't a french isolated case.
By maldini 2015-12-14 14:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Estrosi
Please enlighten me, I'm not knowledgeable about french politics, just the superficial stuff.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-12-14 14:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe you can point some ppl out to me instead of making such a blanket statement.
This is more funny than funny. As if anyone within America is living in the past Civil War. Thx for pointing out all THOSE ppl to me tho /laugh
Quote:

The land of big business corporatations spreading into foreign territories? Is that your point or do you want to be a little more specific?
Quote:
The 1953 Iranian coup?
Opposing Juan Bosch regaining power in the Dominican Republic in 1965?
Iran-Contra?
I guess America must have had the same Dictator President since 1953 and thus and so forth. Again GREAT point. A+ for you and your USA knowledge !!
By maldini 2015-12-14 14:21:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Akson... I don't know if its because English is my 2nd language, but I can't understand anything you're saying or any of your points.. wtf are you talking about man? Explain yourself more.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-12-14 14:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

maldini said: »
Akson... I don't know if its because English is my 2nd language, but I can't understand anything you're saying or any of your points.. wtf are you talking about man? Explain yourself more.
Nothing really. I see some points that are more accurate than my own biased point of view.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-14 14:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

This is more funny than funny. As if anyone within America is living in the past Civil War. Thx for pointing out all THOSE ppl to me tho /laugh

If you've never been to a Georgia or South Carolina war memorial, museum, or spoken to anyone who was daughters/sons of the confederates maybe you don't know what we are talking about.

There are still many people in the south who discuss the civil war and hold different views on what happened and were not happy with the conclusion.

For example a man discussing the civil war here specifically calls it the war of northern aggression
YouTube Video Placeholder

I didn't say people were living in the past, but that some conflicts from the past still impact issues today.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 14:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

spoken to anyone who was daughters/sons of the confederates maybe you don't know what we are talking about.
I highly doubt you did either.

Considering that any sons or daughters of confederates would be well over 100 years old by now. Grandsons/daughters of confederates maybe, but even then they are well past their shelf date.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-14 14:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
spoken to anyone who was daughters/sons of the confederates maybe you don't know what we are talking about.

Considering that any sons or daughters of confederates would be well over 100 years old by now. Grandsons/daughters of confederates maybe, but even then they are well past their shelf date.
Erm, what?

I was referring to the descendent clubs.
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.hqudc.org/
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 14:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Erm, what?

Call them as clubs next time, instead of making it sound like people.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-14 14:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Erm, what?

They are people. They are descendents of veterans of the civil war on the confederate side. The Union side also has their own clubs, maybe organization is a better term.

You've never heard of this before?
[+]
By maldini 2015-12-14 14:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Erm, what?

Because the existence of clubs, comprised of groups of people who come together to galvanize one another, is far less indicative of her point than descendants.

edit: anyways, going to stop. feel like this thread is being derailed and that's not my intention.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 14:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Erm, what?

They are people. They are descendents of veterans of the civil war on the confederate side. The Union side also has their own clubs, maybe organization is a better term.

I'm talking about you referring them as actual sons and daughters of confederates. Like how you said:

spoken to anyone who was daughters/sons of the confederates
You know, the actual people you made it sound like are still alive. Not the grandsons/granddaughters or grandnephews/grandnieces or whatever distant relation they may have. Hell, they are more than likely 3 or 4 generations away from the actual fighters of the confederation.

So, try again next time.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-14 14:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Erm, what?

I'm talking about you referring them as actual sons and daughters of confederates. Like how you said:

You know, the actual people you made it sound like are still alive. Not the grandsons/granddaughters or grandnephews/grandnieces or whatever distant relation they may have. Hell, they are more than likely 3 or 4 generations away from the actual fighters of the confederation.

So, try again next time.
Right, so you've never spoken to someone involved with these organizations because that is how they refer to themselves.

Edit:
I can understand how what I wrote could sound confusing to someone not familiar with the group but many of my peers in school were part of this (on either side) and you used to be able to apply for college scholarships through them, so maybe my exposure level is higher than average

Taking this to random
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 15:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Erm, what?

So, try again next time.
Right, so you've never spoken to someone involved with these organizations because that is how they refer to themselves.
They may reference themselves to be descendants, but to call them actual sons or daughters of the confederate is stretching the truth beyond their breaking point.

But hey, if you want to consider them sons/daughters, go for it. Not the first time you are wrong, and it certainly won't be the last time either.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-12-14 15:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Erm, what?

So, try again next time.
They may reference themselves to be descendants, but to call them actual sons or daughters of the confederate is stretching the truth beyond their breaking point.

But hey, if you want to consider them sons/daughters, go for it. Not the first time you are wrong, and it certainly won't be the last time either.
It's not exactly unheard of for heritage organizations. See also: sons/daughters of the american revolution.
edit: I actually meant sons/daughters of the pilgrims, but meh.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-12-14 15:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

random rudeness
I know you said on second page you wanted to vote for the extreme right, sorry you lost, but it's good. Nationalist sentiments tend to have a landslide effect influencing(if only slightly)other countries too. So yeah, we care in all of Europe, it isn't a french isolated case.
I didn't expect you to have a childish attitude. I guess my rudeness wasn't so random, since you keep pilling up the idiocy.

I personally care more about the actual impact than whatever the pleb is afraid of today, 14/12/2015. Marion would have *** up the region in a way that is far more enjoyable than what Estrosi can do.

I have no idea why you belittle/insult our fellow posters when they're being stupid yet allow yourself to act the very same way. My vote is irrelevant, even more so when I talk about my region and not about Nord pas de Calais. I personally do not give a flying ***about the "impact" it can have in other countries, I care more about the ***I will live through daily.

It's like you've never listened to hip hop in your entire life, what the ***, really.

TL;DR: think for yourself for a change instead of copying the exact same attitude as *insert usual poster you call/see as stupid*.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-14 15:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The topic is global european politics, so excuse me if that's the view I inserted the subject in.

Besides, I was just disagreeing, no reason to demean anyone's intelligence.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-12-14 15:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

maldini said: »
Estrosi
Please enlighten me, I'm not knowledgeable about french politics, just the superficial stuff.
Destroying buildings and kicking its inhabitants without any help to find a new home, on a whim (and to help one of his associate sell the spot).
Denies Muslims to marry, on a whim, again (he gives an excuse that is a lie).
Denies Mosquée in favor of kindergarten.

The last point isn't that bad in itself (both are useful places, objectively, kindergarten more considering the usual crisis associated with this specific place) but he pretty much took the "*** Muslims" stance in every interview.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-14 15:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll try to reformulate the point.

The surge in nationalism and populism that is happening right now is not limited to the political aspect of local areas, it's a historical moment. And for that everyone should keep it in mind and reflect about it(like we did in past pages, with a lot of commercial breaks..).
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-12-14 15:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The surge in nationalism and populism that is happening right now is not limited to the political aspect of local areas, it's a historical moment. And for that everyone should keep it in mind and reflect about it(like we did in past pages, with a lot of commercial breaks..).
I fully agree with you and my vote to FN would only be meant to fuel people's anger so that they revolt and completely overthrow the republic in order to make a new one (which is Jean-Luc Mélenchon's program, he's the person I'd like to vote for at presidentials as he's not part of my region).

However, I disagree that it's a good thing to sacrifice regions/departments just to manipulate the pleb into thinking that voting far right is bad. People will suffer in the process, people that shouldn't suffer.

As it is, Muslims were already staring at the ground after Paris attacks, now they'll have even more reason to do so without the opportunity to overthrow anything because Estrosi is flagged as "he's from the right but he's cool, he just slightly hates Muslims, kinda".

That's the part about politics I highly dislike. The way I see things, Mélenchon should simply win and we'd all be better off. It would also be the best influence we could give to any EU country, even more so the left wing ones.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-12-14 16:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »

I fully agree with you and my vote to FN would only be meant to fuel people's anger so that they revolt and completely overthrow the republic in order to make a new one

Sounds
completely reasonable
Sounds just as hopeless as believing that voting in nowadays politic actually matters.

When the left is acting like the far right (France right now) after electing it to cast away the moderate right that fed on FN's voters, you'd have to be really stupid to believe one second that ENA's people are here to make things better. Mélenchon is the only option (but that's presidential only, if he goes).
 Siren.Mosin
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-14 16:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I finally realized I'll always be too poor to go to europe, so now I don't care what goes on there anymore. you crazy kids have fun.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-12-14 19:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

If you've never been to a Georgia or South Carolina war memorial, museum, or spoken to anyone who was daughters/sons of the confederates maybe you don't know what we are talking about.

There are still many people in the south who discuss the civil war and hold different views on what happened and were not happy with the conclusion.

For example a man discussing the civil war here specifically calls it the war of northern aggression
http://youtu.be/zDYKgGRcMw0

I didn't say people were living in the past, but that some conflicts from the past still impact issues today.
You posted someone whom seems rather passionate about protecting America and defending it. This man has zero to do with anyone claiming resentment over something that took place so long ago that he's pretending he feels hatred towards the North over.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-14 22:01:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You posted someone whom seems rather passionate about protecting America and defending it. This man has zero to do with anyone claiming resentment over something that took place so long ago that he's pretending he feels hatred towards the North over.
Where did I say you had to feel hatred?

I said there were people who still had issues with how the civil war turned out.

I was trying to give an example about how issues between countries (or in this case within countries) where bloody conflicts occured can last generations.

In the US the civil war was bloody and it was the last war fought on our soil. It killed hundreds of thousands of Americans, it broke up families, and destroyed livlihoods and property. It still has an impact on some current generations in the US. Re-enactments happen yearly, families remember and acknowledge who died or was maimed, and discuss property that was lost during a conflict that ended 150 years ago.

European countries have a bloody history going back 1000+ years that still impacts business and relationships. This varies between disdane for certain cultures (a Dane once told me "Sweden was the southern Europe of Scandinavia") to Greece refusing to acknowledge aspects of Macedonia or allow them EU membership to what is referred to as "the troubles" between Northern Ireland and England.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 16 17 18