Populism And Nationalism On The Rise In Europe

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Populism and nationalism on the rise in Europe
Populism and nationalism on the rise in Europe
First Page 2 3 4 ... 16 17 18
 Leviathan.Vienne
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-12-08 12:51:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Starbucks also invaded our culture, I dont see any protest against that! Get that shitty coffee out of my gourmand culture.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-12-08 13:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

We should all get permits to carry, and then we could end those muslims before they walked in

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-08 13:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
*"I don't think what Trump is asking [No Muslims] is too ridiculous if you think about it".
*"They already profile you at the airport and places"
*"Just temporarily until we figure out what is going on"
*"Now some people are calling him a fascist, but I don't agree. I am Italian, but if Italians attacked us I would be for keeping them out temporarily."

Now, I'm sure I've heard all of these before.

But this one especially jumps out as something we've heard before...

This is more dangerous than ISIS.

This is beneficial to ISIS. -.-;
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-12-08 13:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to think that the more fanatical minority are getting louder as the election draws near.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-08 13:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I just can't wait until somebody (in power or trying to be in power) suggests that we round up all the Muslims in the nation into concentration internment camps for their protection.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-08 13:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
I like to think that the more fanatical minority are getting louder as the election draws near.
Sanders was talking then?

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-12-08 13:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I just can't wait until somebody (in power or trying to be in power) suggests that we round up all the Muslims in the nation into concentration internment camps for their protection.

If you're against the idea, I take it you're not for Trump?

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-08 14:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't it obvious?

Also, just found this little bit:

Exclusive: Donald Trump Says He Might Have Supported Japanese Internment

Quote:
Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump told TIME that he does not know whether he would have supported or opposed the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II.

“I would have had to be there at the time to tell you, to give you a proper answer,” he said during a recent interview in his office in New York City. “I certainly hate the concept of it. But I would have had to be there at the time to give you a proper answer.”

Trump added that he believes wartime sometimes requires difficult choices. “It’s a tough thing. It’s tough,” he said. “But you know war is tough. And winning is tough. We don’t win anymore. We don’t win wars anymore. We don’t win wars anymore. We’re not a strong country anymore. We’re just so off.”

Pressed numerous times during an appearance Monday morning on MSNBC to say whether or not the internment violated American values, Trump refused to respond.

President Ronald Reagan signed legislation in 1988 apologizing to the more than 100,000 people of Japanese ancestry, including many Americans, who were placed in U.S. detention camps during World War II. The law also authorized reparations for survivors of the detention. “The internment of the individuals of Japanese ancestry was caused by racial prejudice, war hysteria and a failure of political leadership,” the legislation read.

Trump called Monday for the United States to ban all Muslims from entering the country as a response to the terrorist attacks in Paris and San Bernardino. “Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses,” Trump said in a statement, “our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life.”

Sad thing is, he didn't say he might have supported it, he said that he would have to go to back in time and gauge his viewpoints with the popular belief at that time. So, Time is already distorting the facts in this race. And it's not even 2016.

Be it that I'm not a Trump supporter, but I hate bad media even more.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-08 14:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I suspect as long as Trump is good for business then his politics are likely secondary.
Oh don't worry your pretty little head over that, I already know that Trump's policies are not good for businesses either.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-12-08 14:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't been paying attention to people here recently.

I just stumbled on this thread because excessive right-wing nationalism is something I've been troubled by recently because it's what allowed the Nazis to rise to power. Whine all you want, but even members of the republican party have been calling Trump fascist lately. That should say something.

As for me, I'm for Trump, at least to win the republican nomination. I'm pretty sure O'malley can beat Trump at this point.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-08 14:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm for Trump though, at least to win the republican nomination.
Spoken like a true liberal.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-12-08 14:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I imagine both liberals and conservatives want the weakest nominee of the opposing party to win the nomination.

Same thing both sides!
By Yatenkou 2015-12-08 14:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

idc if a Democrat wins, just please don't let it be Hillary...
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-08 14:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

This is not a topic about Trump. Please move that conversation to random(or a new one).

This is about the European Union, thank you.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-08 14:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I imagine both liberals and conservatives want the weakest nominee of the opposing party to win the nomination.

Same thing both sides!
Doesn't matter. If I said I wanted Sanders to win the democrat/liberal nomination, I would have spoken like a true conservative.

It's just that some people are denying the truth on their political affiliation. Like how you can never seem to find anyone who voted for Obama....
By Yatenkou 2015-12-08 14:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Back on topic, I really wish they would just close up their borders, yes it's terrible for the refugees, but in all honesty what can you do? You have to draw the line somewhere and prevent future problems. It starts as foreign problems, but if you let it get out of control, you'll be dealing with domestic problems.

It sucks, I just wish there was a way we could pick the bad apples out of the batch and prevent them from entering countries, while being able to let people who are truly peaceful to get in where it's safe.

Post deleted by User.
By Altimaomega 2015-12-08 14:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I definitely wanted Beiden to run.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-12-08 14:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yatenkou said: »
Back on topic, I really wish they would just close up their borders, yes it's terrible for the refugees, but in all honesty what can you do? You have to draw the line somewhere and prevent future problems. It starts as foreign problems, but if you let it get out of control, you'll be dealing with domestic problems.

It sucks, I just wish there was a way we could pick the bad apples out of the batch and prevent them from entering countries, while being able to let people who are truly peaceful to get in where it's safe.

I like to just keep in mind that a war with the western/rest of the world is what ISIS is trying to accomplish. Nothing we've done to them have damaged their cause as much as the locals in the area seeing the rest of the world take in their refugees, at least, if you believe the words of one of their escaped hostages.

Of course, all that can easily disrupted by having them slip in a handful of their own members and having them do terror attacks, making the us pause and reconsidering taking them in. It's simple, but no matter what the outcome, they win.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-08 14:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
This is about the European Union, thank you.
EU is a failed social experiment and it's finally showing.

It's great for economic benefits across the member states, and it should have been left at that. But there are no social benefits to be had by this experiment.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-08 14:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to just keep in mind that a war with the western/rest of the world is what ISIS is trying to accomplish. Nothing we've done to them have damaged their cause as much as the locals in the area seeing the rest of the world take in their refugees, at least, if you believe the words of one of their escaped hostages.

Of course, all that can easily disrupted by having them slip in a handful of their own members and having them do terror attacks, making the us pause and reconsidering taking them in. It's simple, but no matter what the outcome, they win.

As I recall, their own literature wants a "boots on the ground" fight because as far as they're concerned their great victory lies on the other side of war and they can't get to that victory until their war comes.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-12-08 15:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

As I recall, their own literature wants a "boots on the ground" fight because as far as they're concerned their great victory lies on the other side of war and they can't get to that victory until their war comes.

Imagine their surprise if our carbon remains (ash or buried) end up as a tenuous presence in the ground, trees and grass. Seems like you could take at least a little time out to reflect on your "victory" while applying the metaphorical facepalm watching the same cyclical events unfold every time.

Okay. That got weird. Still, a "What if everyone is wrong?" scenario spanning Christians, Muslims, Jews and atheists would be HI-***'-larious!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-08 15:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Okay. That got weird. Still, a "What if everyone is wrong?" scenario spanning Christians, Muslims, Jews and atheists would be HI-***'-larious!
We all know there's only one great being in the sky.

All hail the great and powerful Cthulhu! May our deaths be ever so painful and our hells be ever so torturous as thou proclaims!
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-08 16:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

People are losing their minds over this Muslim fiasco lately....

But, wow what is happening to us and the world?! Everyone is breeding this intolerant, ignorant, nationalistic environment over immigrants, minorities, and ISIS (guilty Muslim by religious association).
It is like all the sheep in the flock lost their damn sense.
These attitudes are what breeds violence, ignorance, and war....

People are eating up these phrases like "Make America strong again" and "temporary measures" like this is anything new, and they are hardly temporary in the traditional sense of the word. This is exactly what has happened in fascist states and the people go along with it. Europe is going through it too with these right wing groups seizing in this atmosphere to push their agendas.

This is more dangerous than ISIS.
This is ISIS winning the battle for hearts and minds.

This is politicians who see fear as an ally sowing the wind.

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2015-12-08 17:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Vienne said: »
Starbucks also invaded our culture, I dont see any protest against that! Get that shitty coffee out of my gourmand culture.

You may not like Starbucks but millions of people do ! I've tried a lot of "organic" hippie coffee brewed with the sweat of Jerry Garcia. And to be honest it doesn't taste better to me than Starbucks.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 16 17 18