Populism And Nationalism On The Rise In Europe

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Populism and nationalism on the rise in Europe
Populism and nationalism on the rise in Europe
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-23 18:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Was hoping you'd stay up to keep people updated lol. I am crumbling I will see results tomorrow too.
 Valefor.Rawry
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Rawry 2016-06-23 19:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh..8/382 brexit is leading now with 50.7%.

I mean it's still superealry, but it sure looks like it's gonna be close..
Guide Maker
By Seha 2016-06-23 19:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

51.6% vs 48.4% brexit leading at 9/382

but this is my last update. Nini!
By Ruaumoko 2016-06-23 22:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

71.5% estimated voter turnout.

That's impressive.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-24 02:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like I woke up to bad news. It's a sad day for Europe.

And the leader of the italian far right party has already jumped on this saying that he wants to do this for us too.
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-24 02:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it was expected. He Netherlands said they want an exit vote now. So seems like the eu is falling apart.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-24 02:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

We are not like the UK though. We don't even have our own currency anymore and are directly controled by the BCE. I can't even fathom how much worse it would be for us.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-24 03:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Extreme right in France wants it too now.

This is the exact stuff I was worried about, momentum for all nationalist parties across Europe. It's already the third nation I count in only 10 minutes.

Though admittedly what these people want might not actually happen. A referendum about leaving in Italy is impossible for our constitution for example.
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-24 03:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue for us is the fear of loosing jobs to migrants.
The exit campaign was pure fear and they never even specified any kind of policy on the issue
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-06-24 03:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Extreme right in France wants it too now.

This is the exact stuff I was worried about, momentum for all nationalist parties across Europe. It's already the third nation I count in only 10 minutes.

Though admittedly what these people want might not actually happen. A referendum about leaving in Italy is impossible for our constitution for example.
Maybe the volatility the market is experiencing currently (and will continue for the next few years especially after article 50 is triggered) will help them gather a sense of perspective?

Wait. Nevermind, many think the UK will be keeping their free trade status without having to pay anything for it and that nothing will happen or change.
 Quetzalcoatl.Eradius
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dashuto
By Quetzalcoatl.Eradius 2016-06-24 03:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Austria could get a big mixup now that a re-election call is happening. I thought it was just me and my pals but things never smelled right about that narrow greens victory, now the fraud call is pulling it in for another election.

That instability is a big factor for why Austria is not on the sudden bandwagoning, but could potentially lead to it as well.

Spain already has its eyes on Gibraltar too. What a day!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-24 03:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
was pure fear
This is what the nationalist parties are all about.
They prey on fear and ignorance.
 Asura.Masrur
Server: Asura
user: ribena
By Asura.Masrur 2016-06-24 03:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

^ Have a seat. Not everyone is pro EU, it's their democratic right to vote to stay in or leave this failing political union. Period.
[+]
 Asura.Masrur
By Asura.Masrur 2016-06-24 03:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
The exit campaign was pure fear and they never even specified any kind of policy on the issue

Exit campaigners are not in a position to give a policy, they are not in government!

The referendum is about telling the government what direction the 'public' wants the country to go in and it is for the government to deliver.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Eradius
By Quetzalcoatl.Eradius 2016-06-24 03:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Masrur said: »
^ Have a seat. Not everyone is pro EU, it's their democratic right to vote to stay in or leave this failing political union. Period.

To me its always been a question of "when" the EU will fail instead of if. The union was built flawed from the start because they were very desperate to make it a thing. That same process is what guaranteed it to have major flaws and weaknesses. I know they wouldn't have been able to pull it off, but a true and more solid "federation" format would have served the union best.

Europe is a land where people are used to having their world turned upside-down every 50-100 years historically. Its not in their pattern to completely trust each other and properly treat the world like a village, EU was always going to be a temporary option from the nature of its beginning.

The question now is what portions will last, how much domino-falling will occur from this event, and so on.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-24 03:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Eradius said: »
but a true and more solid "federation" format would have served the union best.
This is what many of us were hoping for out future, a federal Europe. We were working in that direction(you couldn't just have it from day one, it had to be a process of smoothing the corners).
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2016-06-24 03:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The United Kingdom might fall apart before the EU.

No other country will push for an EU-exit until the exit-negotiations have a result and some consequences have shown.
(I mean an actual vote, not just calling for one)
What these consequences may be, we don't know yet.

I feel sad for the young brittish people who voted to stay in with a large majority.

These 50+X votes are insane in my eyes that will affect society for 20+ years (when a re-entry might be possible). The polls of the last 3 months have shown how quickly these slight leads can switch. The decission of changing the current status should not happen on a whim, but should have a solid backing of maybe 55 or 60%.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-24 03:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

In parallel news I guess this means I will strike UK off the list of places I could move to in the future.

..it was even the first of that list.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-06-24 03:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

but a true and more solid "federation" format would have served the union best.
This is what many of us were hoping for out future, a federal Europe. We were working in that direction(you couldn't just have it from day one, it had to be a process of smoothing the corners).

You realize that's one of the biggest reasons that the UK voters didn't want to stay. They didn't want to become "European Citizens" with law makers from different countries making decisions for their country. The EU would of worked fine as long as they stayed purely in the realm of trade agreements, protocol standardization, and free information exchange / travel. The moment they stepped into trying to craft social and economic policy for everyone, that's when they were doomed.

The voters of the UK made this decision. The Government is beholden to and derives it's power from those voters. Or are you saying the government should just ignore those desires of it's citizens, "for their own good".
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-24 03:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
They didn't want to become "European Citizens"
The very large majority of people who voted for Brexit declared they did it because of the immigrants.

Few actually treated it like a problem of sovereignity.
 Quetzalcoatl.Eradius
By Quetzalcoatl.Eradius 2016-06-24 03:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The very large majority of people who voted for Brexit declared they did it because of the immigrants.

Not trying to be "that guy" but source? I know four people who voted leave and 3 did it for different reasons.

I do know most leave voters were in the older age bracket, which is greatly inflaming the youth as we post. That data is true among my relations, as all of them are over 30 years of age.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-06-24 03:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Not trying to be "that guy" but source? I know four people who voted leave and 3 did it for different reasons.

I do know most leave voters were in the older age bracket, which is greatly inflaming the youth as we post. That data is true among my relations, as all of them are over 30 years of age.

I have several friends from the UK, on both sides of the issue. Most of the leavers arguments center around sovereignty, the ability for the UK to control it's own "destiny", basically economic and social policies.

Example is the whole forced acceptance of Islamic refugees from war torn Islamic Extremest Infested countries. When countries started saying "No we don't want them" the EU governing body shot back with "you agreed when you entered this Union that you will respect our decisions, now take the refugees we give you or else". Essentially threatening any nation that didn't take them with expulsion. The UK, whom already has a half hearted relationship with the EU just said "*** it we're out".

Forced acceptance of extremist's from a war torn nation is an issue of social policy. The leaders in the EU were not elected by the citizens of the UK nor do they represent the citizens of the UK, and yet they are trying to force UK social policy.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-24 03:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Not trying to be "that guy"
Just polls.
An italian journalist who works with the uk press was talking about this earlier.

Quote:

Only 17 per cent of people believe the Chancellor’s flagship claim that UK households will lose £4,300 and be permanently poorer after a Brexit, despite the analysis carrying the full weight of the Treasury. Some 70 per cent think it is a falsehood.

Almost half believe Boris Johnson is telling the truth when he says that Britain sends £350 million a week to the EU, even though it has been criticised as misleading by independent experts. The claim is believed by 47 per cent and disbelieved by 39 per cent.

More people think they will be better off in five years outside the EU than inside, despite Government warnings of lost jobs and lower incomes if Britain leaves.

Immigration is now the most critical issue, cited as very important to their vote by 33 per cent, up five points in a month, including just over half of leave supporters.

The economy has fallen to second place in the league table of important issues, down five points to 28 per cent.

A fifth of people say they might change their mind - which means the outcome is impossible to predict.

Overall the poll suggests a significant shift to the Leave camp in the past month, which coincides with the official Vote Leave campaign focusing more strongly on immigration.

Over half - 52 per cent - of people backing Leave list immigration as very important to their vote,
while 41 per cent of remain backers cite the economy as very important.
 Asura.Masrur
By Asura.Masrur 2016-06-24 03:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Please. He's trying to spin the racist card.

I myself loves Europe, I love the food, the history, have many European friends. I grew up with friends from all over the world, Christians, gay, Muslims, Buddhists etc.

I voted to leave purely because a government that sucks at their job can be replaced every 5 years. The British government should ultimately have the British people's interests at heart. Can I say the same for EU MEP's? Hell no! They don't care about you, me, their own country, they only care about their salaries - look at how much they earn. Can anyone name the top dogs of EU?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Eradius
By Quetzalcoatl.Eradius 2016-06-24 04:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Just polls.

Ahhh that makes sense along with the way Saevel put it. I was taking it as "immigration in general" but it seems to be over the way EU was telling them to handle immigration.

I play Star Citizen with some swedebros and they are absolutely livid about the choices they made, possibly the angriest EU's I hang out with. To imagine it could also be forced instead, I can imagine the aggravation.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2016-06-24 04:03:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Star Citizen actually got off the ground? Nice. I haven't heard much about it since one of my Navy buds showed me the demo hangar back in late 2013.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-06-24 04:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Immigration is now the most critical issue, cited as very important to their vote by 33 per cent, up five points in a month, including just over half of leave supporters.

Immigration is social policy. And in this case calling it "Immigration" is misleading at best, UK has zero issues with immigrants from USA or other EU countries. What they have a problem with is "Immigrants" from Syria, Iraq, and other Middle Eastern nations that are fighting with ISIS. Among those "Immigrants" are terrorists that are using the situation to spread extremism and conduct terror attacks. The EU forced the issue and the UK called it's bluff. Now other nations are going to start getting very uneasy about accepting refugees (the proper term) from nations infected with Islamic Extremism.

I've mentioned before that irrational hate is a plague and must be treated like one. You don't cure plague, you contain it until it burns itself out. You don't open all borders and let is spread unchecked across the globe.
[+]
 Asura.Masrur
By Asura.Masrur 2016-06-24 04:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Just polls.
An italian journalist who works with the uk press was talking about this earlier.

Quote:

Only 17 per cent of people believe the Chancellor’s flagship claim that UK households will lose £4,300 and be permanently poorer after a Brexit, despite the analysis carrying the full weight of the Treasury. Some 70 per cent think it is a falsehood.

Almost half believe Boris Johnson is telling the truth when he says that Britain sends £350 million a week to the EU, even though it has been criticised as misleading by independent experts. The claim is believed by 47 per cent and disbelieved by 39 per cent.

More people think they will be better off in five years outside the EU than inside, despite Government warnings of lost jobs and lower incomes if Britain leaves.

The economy has fallen to second place in the league table of important issues, down five points to 28 per cent.

A fifth of people say they might change their mind - which means the outcome is impossible to predict.

Overall the poll suggests a significant shift to the Leave camp in the past month, which coincides with the official Vote Leave campaign focusing more strongly on immigration.

Over half - 52 per cent - of people backing Leave list immigration as very important to their vote,
while 41 per cent of remain backers cite the economy as very important.

When I said have a seat, I meant it.

An Italian journalist.... You are overreaching! Careful not to break your back lol!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2016-06-24 04:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Good that that hasn't been happening. I'm not seeing daily ISIS attacks outside of the Middle East.

What I am seeing is daily attacks and vitriol spewing towards immigrants fleeing from ISIS and the governments failing to combat them and protect their citizens.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-24 04:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

UK has zero issues with immigrants from USA or other EU countries
This isn't entirely true. Even italian immigrants get a lot of flack there.
We're talking about what used to be fringes(who are now gaining a stronger backbone due to the size of the problem)for which there is no good immigrant.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18